• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

So Digital Foundry has gotten their hands on the game and the performance is much the same as the previous analysis.

- XB1S is 900p (though ElAnalistaDeBits noted it's a dynamic resolution) and has by far the worse performance all the way down to 28FPS and regularly below 60.
- XB1X is 2160p still with heavy drops down to 35FPS at points and regularly below 60.
- Both HDR and Dolby Atmos Supported
- Game was tested with Day One Patch

Developer has noted they will work on the performance issues so fingers crossed. Hopefully the more awareness of the performance is raised the more likely we'll get the game running in a better state. I'm pretty bummed there's so many issues with the games performance at launch, coming from Ori at a rock solid 60 with no issues I expected the same here.

This update from the developer sounds super promising!
Moon is aware of the problems and they're releasing a patch the next week: https://www.orithegame.com/known-issues-bug-status-report/

Xbox One Upcoming Fixes

• Improving performance on both Xbox One X and Xbox One S across the entire game as well as during busy combat scenarios
  • Removing the stutters on Xbox One S and Xbox One X after longer periods of play time
  • Addressing various gameplay, localization and technical bugs
  • Additional improvements are also planned for the Xbox One version later this year, including plans to improve the HDR support for Xbox One
PC Upcoming Fixes

• Sound glitches/buzzing
  • Weapon Wheel (both RT/LT bringing up abilities)
  • Chinese font rendering issue
  • End-game Achievements Unlock Error
  • Leaderboard Missing Information
  • Key Remapping Error
  • More options for performance tweaking on the PC:
    • Resolution scaling %
    • Allowing to super-sample or under-sample the game
    • Exclusive full screen mode and other small tweakable graphic options
    • Plans to improve the HDR experience with HDR support for PC is coming soon
More Known Issues We are Investigating

• Crash during title screen: Investigating
  • Save game files missing: Investigating
  • No In-game sound: Investigating

The next patch will be coming next week, so stay tuned.

Edit 3:

VGTech was the main analysis I was looking forward to. They're always super thorough. Looks like both base Xbox One and Xbox One X are using dynamic resolutions. The game also hitches for over a full second. Performance drops in the video is near identical with drops down to 26FPS on XB1S and 35FPS on XB1X.

Hopefully it's just a matter of making the dynamic resolution more aggressive on both or adding an option like Wolfenstein did for a more aggressive resolution scaling option for smoother performance.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There is no excuse for this performance on the 1X, this should absolutely be a technical showcase from the developer.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Can you play 1080p with locked 60? Wish they had worked out frame rate kinks. Weren't they mentioning 120 FPS?!?

Dec 11, 2017
I do believe that future patches will help, but worst case at least Series X will be the ultimate performance patch.

Oct 26, 2017
This is so weird after they did such an outstanding job with Ori and the Blind Forest DE on Switch, even going as far as to enhance it so animations are now proper 60fps (which AFAIK has not been patched into the XBO and PC versions). Not to mention all of that extra time. Wasn't this delayed not once, but maybe twice or more? Or did they just never commit to a date and said "it's out when it's done"?

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Moon is aware of the problems and they're releasing a patch the next week: https://www.orithegame.com/known-issues-bug-status-report/

Xbox One Upcoming Fixes

• Improving performance on both Xbox One X and Xbox One S across the entire game as well as during busy combat scenarios
  • Removing the stutters on Xbox One S and Xbox One X after longer periods of play time
  • Addressing various gameplay, localization and technical bugs
  • Additional improvements are also planned for the Xbox One version later this year, including plans to improve the HDR support for Xbox One
PC Upcoming Fixes

• Sound glitches/buzzing
  • Weapon Wheel (both RT/LT bringing up abilities)
  • Chinese font rendering issue
  • End-game Achievements Unlock Error
  • Leaderboard Missing Information
  • Key Remapping Error
  • More options for performance tweaking on the PC:
    • Resolution scaling %
    • Allowing to super-sample or under-sample the game
    • Exclusive full screen mode and other small tweakable graphic options
    • Plans to improve the HDR experience with HDR support for PC is coming soon
More Known Issues We are Investigating

• Crash during title screen: Investigating
  • Save game files missing: Investigating
  • No In-game sound: Investigating

The next patch will be coming next week, so stay tuned.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I really hope they can patch it to bring it up to constant 60 fps, but given how long this game has been in development I doubt there will be any such patch in a short time.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I also noticed some dips in performance on my 2080ti.

Nothing horrible but in more complex scenes (with water) it dipped to a noticeable level.

Still looks gorgeous though.

Wtf.

I was expecting to play this at 144fps

No way I can tolerate less than 60fps on a sidescroller, even on the vid the slowdown is very annoying. I'll wait for patches or until it's cheap.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Performance is pretty poor really, you'd expect something like this to have locked 60fps as top priority really.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Wtf.

I was expecting to play this at 144fps

No way I can tolerate less than 60fps on a sidescroller, even on the vid the slowdown is very annoying. I'll wait for patches or until it's cheap.

I have a RTX 2070 and works perfect at 1080p and 60 FPS. The dips may be while traversing through the scenario. Nothing really annoying.

Unlocked it hovered around 100-180 FPS. Depends of the area or the action that's going on.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
User Warned: console wars
xbone x. Where they proritize resolution over frames. lol For sure ps4 pro would have been prioritized for a 1080p and 50-60fps (if it was released).

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Yeah, they should have kept this for longer in the oven. It has been 5 years already, they could have waited a few more months or release it with the XSX. I don't want to be overly negative, but I can not deny that I am disappointed by this less than optimal launch performance, especially considering how outspoken and confident Moon Studio has acted before launch. Art style, OST and story still make this a GOTY contender though, it's just that good. But yeah, def could have been even better.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Glad I didn't have time to jump in to it, will play when the performance is ironed out

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's disappointing, but at least on x it hasn't badly impacted everything else it does astoundingly well. I hope the narrative doesn't shift because of its performance. Of course it would be nice if they can improve it, even with dropping res, variable res, or even a locked frame rate option.

despite this, easy goty contender thus far.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite disappointing as the first Ori was one of the few examples of a Unity game with great performance (eventhough all versions of it except the switch ver has 30FPS animations). Especially disappointing considering the unusually prolonged development time (which makes me assume that this game had quite a bit of development problems).

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Is it even worth it ?

Just sad to see a technical achievement like this to be summed up to its performance issues.

Don't worry about disingenuous people, you can't change their minds. People should watch the video before commenting anyway, DF do a great job and Ori is a great game. I have faith that the performance issues will be fixed, but more people knowing before they play isn't necessarily a bad thing.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I must have something else going on, because I was playing on the X today and ran into sections that had to be under 20fps. It was so bad I couldn't play and just gave up.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm glad I have a capable PC to play it on. The game isn't that good anyway but that's another story.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is surprising to me... it seems like it can't be that demanding...
The game may be 2D but the rendering is 3D with lots of high quality effects, assets and features.
That doesn't really justify the performance at all, but i would be incorrect to say it's not an advanced/demanding game.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about disingenuous people, you can't change their minds. People should watch the video before commenting anyway, DF do a great job and Ori is a great game. I have faith that the performance issues will be fixed, but more people knowing before they play isn't necessarily a bad thing.

this is Era, where people don't even read OP's, they won't be watching the video, lol.

🤣🤣

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the first five minutes and was mildly shocked at the low framerate and judder.
This should be a locked 60fps, Microsoft should have sent some engineers to help with the workload.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The game may be 2D but the rendering is 3D with lots of high quality effects and features.
That doesn't really justify the performance at all, but i would be incorrect to say it's not an advanced/demanding game.
I mean relative to other titles, I can't imagine this is the most demanding game on X to explain drops of 40%+ in frames...

Like, the first game scaled to Switch performance so...

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch the video yet, but is it dynamic 4K or is this just a really soft looking 4K?
The game is beautiful and I'm really enjoying it, but it looks blurry and/or low res on X.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And to know this reviewer that gave the game a lower score because of performance was bullied in this fucking forum, saying he didn't have the patch and that reviewer ended up changing the score, even the moon studios person that has an account here quoted the reviewer asking if they would change the score when the game had the day patch installed. Absolutely disgusting.

Here's ours
Looks like everyone else is ignoring the horrible technical issues
Great game. But it's broken at the moment.
Serious tech issues that really ruin the experience

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Review (Xbox One) - Wisp You Were Here | PowerUp!
With update version 1.0.4193.0, the technical issues mentioned later in this review have been alleviated. The review and score have been updated
powerup-gaming.com

Winstano said:
Someone's ignored the emails from their PR then... Plenty of communication about the issues and discussed at length within the original comms we had...
Reviewers flaming reviewers, how professional.....

The one below is the worst offender for me, the game director asking a reviewer to change a score, when he knew even with the patch the game performance was bad.

PowerUp said:
I can only review what I played.
I'm Not going to pretend I didn't have to reply huge sections because the game didn't save. Nor am I going to ignore the frame rate issues or Everything else.
day one patches are fine, but it's not my experience and I can't review what might happen.
Well, the Day1 Patch is online, so would you mind updating your review based on that? As is, your review is critiquing a version the general public will never see. I get that press want to do this stuff on principle, but since no gamer out there will ever see any issues you've noticed, you don't think it's fair to at least update your score if you've rated it lowly due to technical issues?

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
And to know this reviewer that gave the game a lower score because of performance was bullied in this fucking forum, saying he didn't have the patch and that reviewer ended up changing the score, even the moon studios person that has an account here quoted the reviewer asking if they would change the score when the game had the day patch installed. Absolutely disgusting.

The one below is the worst offender for me, the game director asking a reviewer to change a score, when he knew even with the path the game performance was bad.
There were plenty of people in the previous performance thread proclaiming that the game was completely fixed with the latest patch and that people's consoles were broken or because they were using the wrong hard drive etc. It's been a little frustrating all around. I'm just so disappointed after how great Ori ran and how it was still a solid 60 on the Switch I never even considered it would have problems here. I'm really hoping the patch next week fixes it so I can get started. I've already waited nearly 5 years another week to two won't hurt.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x You could probably try to download and install the game from the Xbox app on PC instead of windows store. That may work.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they can figure out why the game shuts down my xbx on the initial loading screen. :(

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I mean relative to other titles, I can't imagine this is the most demanding game on X to explain drops of 40%+ in frames...

Like, the first game scaled to Switch performance so...
Like I said, that's not meant as excuse for this performance or to say that it's the most demanding game on the platform. But it is a pretty advanced game visually, and it can be that without being the most advanced, and still have poor performance than what's to be expected. Which is the case here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't had a chance to play the game just yet but this is definitely disappointing in what was otherwise a great launch for the game. Hope Moon can fix it soon.