• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

A classic OG Xbox release has arrived on Nintendo Switch, and while it's not perfect, it's a highly impressive piece of work. John has all of the details, all of the performance analysis and every pertinent head-to-head comparison you could ask for! Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • 1080p docked, 720p handheld
  • ps3 is 720p, xbox is 480p, vita is 544p
  • ps3 has better anisotrophic filtering and foliage draw distance; might be due to bandwidth
  • switch has QoL changes including cutscene skip, tutorial skip, run button, two UI choices (2019/2015), 2 AA options (FXAA, MSAA, none)
  • targets 60fps, mostly achieves it
  • temple level has big drops in performance regardless of AA option or docked/handheld
  • no AA and FXAA performs similarly
  • best way to play portably, a good way to play on a tv as it's easier (who still has a ps3 hooked up?)

Last edited:

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
  • ps3 is 720p, xbox is 480i, vita is 544p
  • ps3 has better anisotrophic filtering and foliage draw distance; might be due to bandwidth
  • switch has QoL changes including cutscene skip, tutorial skip, run button, two UI choices (2019/2015), 2 AA options (FXAA, MSAA, none)
  • temple level has big drops in performance regardless of AA option or docked/handheld
  • best way to play portably, a good way to play on a tv as it's easier (who still has a ps3 hooked up?)
Cheers. I might grab this just to chew on the nostalgia.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Cool to see this is good, as it's such an underrated game.

I probably won't buy it, as I still need to finish it on PS3 (I got quite a bit into that part), but people should defintely give it a shot if they've never played it. I'd maybe go as far as to say it's the best Oddworld title.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you were to ask me 17 years ago which game from that gen would keep appearing every generation after, Stranger's Wrath would not have been my answer lol. Glad to hear it's a quality port, I'll grab it on sale.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
  • ps3 is 720p, xbox is 480i, vita is 544p
Small correction, Xbox version is 480p not 480i.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've purchased this game twice before so I feel good about waiting for a price drop but I will be buying this version at some point.

Glad to hear the port is solid.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I bought the game back in the day on OgXBox loved it, but my comprehension of the story was severily limite dby the lack of subtitles. Fantastic game, a true gem.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Looks prettier than the promotional footage led me to believe. Ouch at the $30 price point though. I'm not paying half full price for a remaster of an OG Xbox game.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Actually kind of surprised this hasn't come to PS4 and X1 natively, though I guess it could always happen later. There's a physical version of the Switch release planned at some point, for anyone who wants to wait (not from LRG, though).

Fantastic game. I haven't played it since the original Xbox so I might get this one eventually for a replay.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know the Digital Foundry guys have no say in their videos' titles, but it's ridiculous how every time they're phrased as a question in the hope that people will click on it to find out if it really is what the question says it might be. Has there ever been a video titled something like "A Great Port?" and the conclusion to the video was "No, it's a piece of shit"? Just make it a statement or stay neutral if you want to keep the mystery.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Oh cool! Glad to hear the port turned out well. I had the pc version and I remembered it being a total mess when it launched. I think it has since been fixed.

I wonder if it has gyro controls. Would be a nice bonus. Guess I'll have to watch the video at lunch.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know the Digital Foundry guys have no say in their videos' titles, but it's ridiculous how every time they're phrased as a question in the hope that people will click on it to find out if it really is what the question says it might be. Has there ever been a video titled something like "A Great Port?" and the conclusion to the video was "No, it's a piece of shit"? Just make it a statement or stay neutral if you want to keep the mystery.
It's all about that YouTube system - attracting people. At least we haven't had to make awful thumbnails with dumb faces. :X

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I should probably hook my PS3 up sometime again to replay the Resistance games .. they're never going to remaster them it seems.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about that YouTube system - attracting people. At least we haven't had to make awful thumbnails with dumb faces. :X

How about cirlces and arrows ?

1l0jjd.png

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Great video as always, Dark1x

Mostly solid 60fps handheld was better than expected. Definetely on the to-buy list now.