• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018

Are you looking for an ultra-hard fighting game with one of the most in-depth combat systems in gaming? You've come to the right place with Nioh 2, a game that *also* delivers a range of different performance modes. What do they actually do? How do they affect the gameplay? Alex Battaglia has answers.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Summarized version pls? At work so can't hear the video yet.
Action mode with rare minor dips below 60fps (mostly loading new areas, or using any shrine, which activates a rain of particles); Movie/Variable mode with subpar, unclear 4K checkerboard and irregular performance below 30/40fps, respectively. Aside of that, general praise for the game, its combat system, and some minor comments on shadows, textures, the few visual details that differ between modes.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Seems visually based of the techniques used here it doesn't look that great on either PS4 or the pro however action mode is the preferred mode of play on either.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Action Mode is the way to play this on both machines!

Pretty aggressive though. Base PS4 spends a lot of time at 720p and PS4 Pro can drop to around 900p. Gotta do it for that framerate though!

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get a PS5 patch for this. I played the beta on a base PS4 and the game looked rough in action mode.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Weird the 60fps mode is better than the 30fps mode, even on base PS4, when normally it's the other way around, but it's good to see the developer make the 60fps mode the best way to play it.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Movie Unlocked mode will be the way to play on PS5... should be 60fps locked and at highest resolution possible. That is.... if Sony does not fuck up BC and all horsepower will be available to BC titles.

Same is true for original Nioh.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Props to them focusing on 60fps
Can imagine it was a struggle for the devs to get this to run at 60fps especially on base ps4

I know the ps4 is a fairly old machine by now, but both this and Nioh 1 aren't exactly very good looking games.
There are a fair amount of other games that look a mile better and run at 60fps and better resolutions on base ps4 (doom, titanfall, Wolfenstein, etc).

What I mean is, for how these games look on a graphical level, I feel like they should be running at 1080p (or at least 900p) and 60fps on a base ps4 without much problem.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I know the ps4 is a fairly old machine by now, but both this and Nioh 1 aren't exactly very good looking games.
There are a fair amount of other games that look a mile better and run at 60fps and better resolutions on base ps4 (doom, titanfall, Wolfenstein, etc).

What I mean is, for how these games look on a graphical level, I feel like they should be running at 1080p (or at least 900p) and 60fps on a base ps4 without much problem.

The delusional beta fanboys gave the visuals top marks in the feedback survey, so I don't think the devs know their game looks like ass, or have any motivation to improve.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm geniunely surprised, I didn't expect this game to be received as well as it had. Nioh 1 was really fun, but the game honestly became tedious and repetitive about half way through. I honestly thought it was about twice as long as it should have been. Regardless, it's great to see how Team Ninja has improved so much on the mechanics. Also, offering a special counter to many of the previously unblockable/unparryable moves is really smart.

I might pick it up when it comes to PC down the line, but my current catalog is too full to pick it up now.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Wish they would improve their CB/AA solution, but nice work on the frame rate mode. That's the most important thing.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi

All those you listed are first person shooter games, Nioh as an action game in many parts can be hectic lots of things and effects going on screen and behind all at once which can be demanding yet still maintains a very high frame rate without much drops

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna wait for the PC version. The performance seems a bit rubbish like it was on the first game.