• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The video isn't entirely about the quality of the port itself, as Thomas starts off initially with talking about the difference in visual philosophies between 2D and 3D Mario, what benefits 3D rendering gave 2D Mario on a visual level, but for anyone looking for hard numbers...

-docked mode renders at 1080p native vs. 720p on Wii U
-no AA
-a substantial increase in texture filtering that Thomas pins at close to 16xAF
-Peach got a brand new model compared to Wii U, though all other older character models remained the same
-increased shadow resolution
-handheld mode is 720p native with no visual cutbacks
-both docked and handheld run at a locked 60 fps, though Thomas mentions that if he has any findings to the contrary in four-player mode that he'll put out an update
-game size is mentioned between both versions, with the Wii U game with NSLU weighing in at 13GB, while the Switch version is a little more than 2GB; Thomas chalks this up to both more advanced compression techniques and suggests that NSLU simply doubled up on the same assets on Wii U, thereby increasing its file size a bit wastefully
-mentions DKC:TF as a point of comparison in terms of how NSMBUDX looks and runs, since that game ran at sub-native in handheld mode

There's more to the video than that, including a wishlist of sorts for more Wii U ports and what Thomas felt was a missed opportunity in this version in terms of visual options inspired by Super Mario Maker, but that's the long and short of it otherwise.

EDIT: The mystery of the file size discrepancy has been solved:
UPDATE [9/10/19]: the 13GB Wii U file size mystery is solved. The understanding is that extra videos are stored on the U + Luigi game disc, and digitally too. Meanwhile Switch avoids taking up so much space by simply offering an option to stream them - making 2.5GB possible for a cartridge.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The NSMBU + NSLU Wii U game had a bunch of poorly compressed, prerendered videos. They were for tutorials or something like that, I forget exactly.

The base game is something like 2-3 GB, very very close to the Switch version.

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

The NSMBU + NSLU Wii U game had a bunch of poorly compressed, prerendered videos. They were for tutorials or something like that, I forget exactly.

Oh, did they shove in the tutorial videos onto the combo release? I know those were effectively Youtube videos in the base game, and I think they did that again with the Switch game, so that would explain a whole lot.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So weird they improved Peach's model but noone else's, they look so poor compared to contemporary Mario games

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

So weird they improved Peach's model but noone else's, they look so poor compared to contemporary Mario games
That is a weird one, especially with Peach being such a marked improvement. My guess is that because there's only one version of her that it was easier to justify the upgrade, as every other character has so many different states that they can be in with all the power-ups the game has.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap at the file size comparison.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I like the fact they're rendering at 1080p as opposed to the original game's 720p, and the increased shadows and texture filtering. The latter two especially seem like improvements Nintendo wouldn't have bothered making just a couple of years ago. Wish they'd start using some form of AA, though.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Interesting, they moved the superplay vids to youtube after NSMBW had them as unlockable ingame.
And they were released as Miiverse posts too, makes sense that they could include them in the package of NSLU/NSMBU down the line.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, cleaner image, although my persistence of memory would probably lead to believe it looks exactly the same if I played it at home right now.

So a basic port then.
It's the Dark Souls Remastered of ports.

(for the record, I loved this game on Wii U, but $60 for this... damn)

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Did they literally not compress anything on the Wii U version? Even with Luigi potentially doubling up many assets... that's a pretty massive drop.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason why Switch file is so small? Even accounting for doubling of game size with Super Luigi U were still several GB off.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Screaming @ this game getting dragged by critics.

Super Microwaveable Reheated U Deluxe has missing content vs. the original version AND control issues that didn't exist before, so it's not a surprise I guess. SMH

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the fact they're rendering at 1080p as opposed to the original game's 720p, and the increased shadows and texture filtering. The latter two especially seem like improvements Nintendo wouldn't have bothered making just a couple of years ago. Wish they'd start using some form of AA, though.
AA and Nintendo is now pretty much in a 'never expect that' territory.

They're like a marriage that turned bad.

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

Somehow I do not want MM port. I want sequel
Yeah, a sequel makes way more sense with all the features that still need to be added, and would also have the benefit of being designed for the Switch, rather than attempting to adapt the GamePad functionality. Such a game would perhaps not be called Super Mario Maker 2 outright, but that's what it should be in effect.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Screaming @ this game getting dragged by critics.

Super Microwaveable Reheated U Deluxe has missing content vs. the original version AND control issues that didn't exist before, so it's not a surprise I guess. SMH
Yikes I hadn't even heard about those issues. What's missing and what's wrong with the controls?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Yikes I hadn't even heard about those issues. What's missing and what's wrong with the controls?

They changed the mid-air spin from L/ZL/R/ZR to regular jump button, seems like it's easy to do unintended inputs as a result.

As for what's missing, basically the gamepad 'boost mode' that let you place platforms with the gamepad's touch screen, there were a number of challenge mode levels that revolved around that too. You also can't play as blue Toad anymore, so you can't have four player with everyone on even footing ability wise

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh, did they shove in the tutorial videos onto the combo release? I know those were effectively Youtube videos in the base game, and I think they did that again with the Switch game, so that would explain a whole lot.

The Video Description has an update:

UPDATE [9/10/19]: the 13GB Wii U file size mystery is solved. The understanding is that extra videos are stored on the U + Luigi game disc, and digitally too. Meanwhile Switch avoids taking up so much space by simply offering an option to stream them - making 2.5GB possible for a cartridge.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.

All the content related to the Gamepad functions were removed instead of replaced.

Also, the spin being on the same button is causing major issues. Check the review thread, there's twitter posts showing videos of how imprecise it can get.

What a disaster.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They changed the mid-air spin from L/ZL/R/ZR to regular jump button, seems like it's easy to do unintended inputs as a result.

As for what's missing, basically the gamepad 'boost mode' that let you place platforms with the gamepad's touch screen, there were a number of challenge mode levels that revolved around that too. You also can't play as blue Toad anymore, so you can't have four player with everyone on even footing ability wise

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...cording_to_the_cgm_review_of_new_super_mario/

"There has been some controversy with regards to difficulty when playing with four players, as people have assumed at least one player would have to play as Toadette or Nabit, but I can tell you that isn't the case. I don't know why Nintendo is keeping this a big secret when it clearly has upset some people, but from the start, there is a process to ensure you are not be forced into an "easy" character."

I wish we knew what this site meant...

Oct 29, 2017
Nice that they have it a few more visual upgrades than expected; nothing Earth shattering, but nice :)

The game does include the Super Play videos BTW (and a LOT more than the original game too! Including a new set for NSLU too!); but they're included as online streaming videos. So that no doubt contributes to the huge file size saving.

Hyrule Warriors DE remains the most impressive Wii U-Switch port (and probably will stay that way). Going up from native 720p 20-30FPS all the way to native 1080p 50-60FPS! (and with improved lighting to boot!)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
At this point its an artistic choice. They probably don't like the outcome of AA, which makes sense. It has drawbacks.

Add that to the vault of amazing Nitnendo excuses. Literally every one of their games look amazing on PC where all the aliasing is eliminated. Their clean art styles in particular are crying for high resolution and good AA.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
How much would even a low AA setting affect the frame rate?

Perhaps it's for performance reasons? I appreciate their focus on 60fps gameplay, and I don't mind the absence of AA if it would affect it.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Somehow I thought that the Wii U one actually had some kind of AA solution, but I guess I'm mis-remembering. Thought it was 2xMSAA in either the world or in-level but not both...

EDIT: Wait, found the DF review of the original game: "On Wii U, we appear to be seeing an edge-detect solution reserved for characters and objects only, with environmental detail remaining unprocessed."

Weird this isn't mentioned at all this time around.

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

Somehow I thought that the Wii U one actually had some kind of AA solution, but I guess I'm mis-remembering. Thought it was 2xMSAA in either the world or in-level but not both...
If I'm not mistaken, I think the only major Wii U games that featured AA from internal Nintendo teams were EPD Tokyo's games, and that was a rather basic edge AA in SM3DW and Captain Toad.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, I think the only major Wii U games that featured AA from internal Nintendo teams were EPD Tokyo's games, and that was a rather basic edge AA in SM3DW and Captain Toad.

Interesting, found the DF article for that one too: "Basic edge-detection, not unlike what was utilised in NSMBU, handles anti-aliasing duties but coverage can be a bit spotty at times - results are surprisingly inconsistent on a per-stage basis, with certain areas appearing remarkably free of aliasing while others seem quite jaggy"

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: Wait, found the DF review of the original game: "On Wii U, we appear to be seeing an edge-detect solution reserved for characters and objects only, with environmental detail remaining unprocessed."

Weird this isn't mentioned at all this time around.
Yeah I need to fire it up again so when it come time, I can notice the difference.

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

Interesting, found the DF article for that one too: "Basic edge-detection, not unlike what was utilised in NSMBU, handles anti-aliasing duties but coverage can be a bit spotty at times - results are surprisingly inconsistent on a per-stage basis, with certain areas appearing remarkably free of aliasing while others seem quite jaggy"
Did they ever cover the original Wii U release? I don't think they really started covering Wii U games in detail until Rayman Legends, but back then, DF was a bit more focused on multiplatform releases than they are now.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Did they ever cover the original Wii U release? I don't think they really started covering Wii U games in detail until Rayman Legends, but back then, DF was a bit more focused on multiplatform releases than they are now.

Yeah! It's here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-new-super-mario-bros-u-analysis

""On Wii U, we appear to be seeing an edge-detect solution reserved for characters and objects only, with environmental detail remaining unprocessed.""

OP
OP
Ridley327

Ridley327

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Add that to the vault of amazing Nitnendo excuses. Literally every one of their games look amazing on PC where all the aliasing is eliminated. Their clean art styles in particular are crying for high resolution and good AA.
I mean they probably have the ability to add some AA, they just don't want to. Of course you can have an alias free game on PC with prestine image quality, but that's not happening on Switch. You get a sharper image or a blurrier one. And some people choose aliasing over no aliasing at 1080p. We had a thread about it.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Digital foundry have nailed their thumbnail game. Something about seeing that cog gets me excited to watch their videos lol