• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Shame the Vita died before these ports came out :(

Switch nearly as good anyway.

Going to grab it on PS4 too

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It is still better to just play doom 64? That game is basically a combination of doom 1 and 2 no?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Andrew Hulshult music, you absolute beauty.

Did I hear that right in the video, they have actually released these ports on PC?

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Wow, and I bought Doom 2 just last year. I'll definitely stay away from these then.
They're not available to purchase anymore, but they're still playable if you already have them. There was an "error" during the launch of the newer versions that had the BC compatible versions unable to be downloaded, but that was fixed shortly after.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not available to purchase anymore, but they're still playable if you already have them. There was an "error" during the launch of the newer versions that had the BC compatible versions unable to be downloaded, but that was fixed shortly after.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I though it was just some shitty business practices there for a while.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, okay, okay.

I bought Doom.

But it's NOT thanks to John!!

A year ago I played Doom 2016, my first of the series.

Now it's time to catch up before Eternal.

Thanks, John.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
So aside from the PC ports, are these best consoles ports thus far (specifically on PS4)? I have the one's on 360 but I wouldn't mind upgrading to the newer ones if they are better.

Oct 25, 2017
It is still better to just play doom 64? That game is basically a combination of doom 1 and 2 no?

8eeSLX5.gif

It's a good thing it's getting a second chance with the upcoming rerelease.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Are these the best ports/version of the game now? Better than pc?

Yes, I know the PC version is easily the way to play, since you can use whatever sourceport and WAD combination you want. But it'd be nice to have versions playable on this level with a simple download.

and I'll be able to get all these new features such as 60 fps and the John Romero newly released map?

Ya'll, I'm a total newb at this stuff and GZDoom was crazy easy. Buy Doom on steam for $5, download GZDoom, unzip, drag and drop whatever you want to play. That's it. You don't even need to 'install' anything. I'm running buttery smooth WITH mods on freakin' integrated graphics on a years old PC. You want more levels? Just download whatever interests you from the Cacowards every year. I mean, I've been playing a Doom 64 total conversion and its great. Again, I just drag it onto the GZdoom exe file and it opens it right up, no fuss, no muss.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll, I'm a total newb at this stuff and GZDoom was crazy easy. Buy Doom on steam for $5, download GZDoom, unzip, drag and drop whatever you want to play. That's it. You don't even need to 'install' anything. I'm running buttery smooth WITH mods on freakin' integrated graphics on a years old PC. You want more levels? Just download whatever interests you from the Cacowards every year. I mean, I've been playing a Doom 64 total conversion and its great. Again, I just drag it onto the GZdoom exe file and it opens it right up, no fuss, no muss.
Thank you. I'm going to take a look at that.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I mean, I've been playing a Doom 64 total conversion and its great. Again, I just drag it onto the GZdoom exe file and it opens it right up, no fuss, no muss.
Except it also doesn't play like Doom64 particularly accurately. Though that comes with the port territory anyway. The timings are completely off, it's missing the three point filtering and the lighting isn't even accurate.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like the input lag on switch is kind of a deal breaker. Harder than hell to aim and shoot accurately

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I can play the game at something like 15360x8640 at 144Hz (4k res at 200% scaling and 8xSSAA -- and point sampled texture mapping & no texture LOD -- need all that super sampling to make the aliasing go away...) on my PC with a bunch of extra effects, it's pretty strange that the PS4 can only run it at 600p 60Hz, no matter what you say about it being a new port (after all I'm also using a port).

But on Switch at least it makes a quite decent portable version of Doom now.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Except it also doesn't play like Doom64 particularly accurately. Though that comes with the port territory anyway. The timings are completely off, it's missing the three point filtering and the lighting isn't even accurate.
I totally trust you on that. For a causal fan like me, I'm content with it for the moment as I have no other way that I know of to play it. Is there a better option currently? That would be cool. I know I'll be picking up the official version when it happens, but until then....
What about the timings is off? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Sorry if this is derailing. We can stop if need be.

On topic:
Yeah, why is the PS4 (and even switch) not able to just bang this out? I mean, as stated I'm on an old-ish PC with integrated graphics and Doom runs crazy good with wads and effects and whatnot.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is there a better option currently?
I find myself in a funny position. I frankly find it would be inappropriate for me to answer that question, and I find myself questioning if I would even like the actual answer. You'd need to provide your own ROM, and the port in question has fallen on the wayside given it was made for SDL1 and is quite old. Also as time went on we've found that it wasn't even fully accurate, having some inaccuracies in the sprite exporting and even the animation timings itself that made it not even close to demo playback compatible. March 20th can't come soon enough.

What about the timings is off? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
The PC version of Doom, and thus all ports run off a fixed 35Hz timer. The console versions of Doom, including 64, run at 15/30Hz, thus making the animation, action and physics timings quite incompatible.

Considering I can play the game at something like 15360x8640 at 144Hz (4k res at 200% scaling and 8xSSAA -- and point sampled texture mapping & no texture LOD -- need all that super sampling to make the aliasing go away...) on my PC with a bunch of extra effects, it's pretty strange that the PS4 can only run it at 600p 60Hz, no matter what you say about it being a new port (after all I'm also using a port).
You are probably playing a port using a hardware polygon renderer. The ports here use the original software renderer (because it's the only thing that can run all the effects and tricks authentically), which as the name indicates is CPU rendered, and single core at that because it's very old game engine.

Last edited:

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
I find myself in a funny position. I frankly find it would be inappropriate for me to answer that question, and I find myself questioning if I would even like the actual answer. You'd need to provide your own ROM, and the port in question has fallen on the wayside given it was made for SDL1 and is quite old. Also as time went on we've found that it wasn't even fully accurate, having some inaccuracies in the sprite exporting and even the animation timings itself that made it not even close to demo playback compatible. March 20th can't come soon enough.

The PC version of Doom, and thus all ports run off a fixed 35Hz timer. The console versions of Doom, including 64, run at 15/30Hz, thus making the animation, action and physics timings quite incompatible.
Ah! Sorry, I just noticed who you are. Whoops. Yeah, don't answer if its awkward. No biggie.

Oh, the 35hz thing with OG Doom. Right. Not familiar with the nomenclature. Totally makes sense trying to convert one to the other would muck it up a bit.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it and it's finally time to double dip on the PS4. I'm really eager to try out some good level wads.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought 1 & 2 on PS4 during the sale, but rebought on Switch for portability. For $1.50 a piece, I had to.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
All three are currently super cheap on the eShop, at least in the UK. All three can be had for £4.80

www.hotukdeals.com

Doom 1+2 £1.20 Each / Doom 3 £2.40 [Nintendo Switch] @ Nintendo eShop - hotukdeals

Lowest ever price for all 3 games here:Doom nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/DOOM-1993--1610001.html £1.20Doom 2 nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nint

The opportunity to own a fantastic portable version of one of the best and most important games of all time for £1.20 is something people should not be missing out on.

While I think all three are a no brainer at that price, if you don't want to stretch to the full £4.80, at least make sure you pick up the original Doom. It's as timeless as Super Mario World.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017