• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Loading times are the worst technical aspect of the game on consoles and DF barely talked about it, nice video aside from that.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So the latest patch seems to have removed the HDR that wasn't working to replace that with no HDR on Xbox one?

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's still being worked on. We found some issues when certain things happen. (e.g picking up and returning glands). It will be fixed and patched. Bear with us.
Thanks for the response! I searched the Mortal Shell website for patch notes but could not find any. Maybe you have a link? Also anywhere where players can provide feedback? Great game btw

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The game corrupted my save multiple times forcing me to restart, so I shelved it. Latest patch seems to have fixed that, thankfully. I'm having a really good time now. I have all weapons and shells and now I'm going to start completing temples.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
" A Dark Souls competitor emerges"

tenor.gif
lmao, i know right? not even close.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry has done a performance test. A new performance competitor emerges... they aren't reviewing the game and saying Mortal Shell is a gameplay competitor to Souls. I'm consistently surprised by Souls fans ultra thin-skin.
Nice try, but Souls has never been known for its performance. In fact, MS not only matches DS in performance, it beats it in every way. No constant frame pacing problems on console like every From game has, and its PC version actually has an unlocked framerate, so you can get over 60fps easily without having to use mods or hacks to do it.

I agree about the thin skin, though. It's one thing to half-ass a Souls-like, where FromSoft diehards can laugh at its puny attempt, but when another game actually does a pretty good job at the formula (and MS does), they get all bent out of shape. It's the same argument as any other game. If you don't like it, don't play it. I fail to see how me playing MS and enjoying it would stop someone from enjoying the DS games.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore Dark Souls and FROM Software is my favorite developer outside of Naughty Dog and Nintendo EPD.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling this game a DS "competitor". Some of you FROM Soft stans are insufferable.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nice try, but Souls has never been known for its performance. In fact, MS not only matches DS in performance, it beats it in every way. No constant frame pacing problems on console like every From game has, and its PC version actually has an unlocked framerate, so you can get over 60fps easily without having to use mods or hacks to do it.

I agree about the thin skin, though. It's one thing to half-ass a Souls-like, where FromSoft diehards can laugh at its puny attempt, but when another game actually does a pretty good job at the formula (and MS does), they get all bent out of shape. It's the same argument as any other game. If you don't like it, don't play it. I fail to see how me playing MS and enjoying it would stop someone from enjoying the DS games.
I agree with you. Not sure how you were taking my comment. I just meant DF was comparing performance when saying that a competitor emerges. Meaning the performance in MS was comparable or better. But people read it as MS as a game was a competitor. While it is good and is much better than most other Souls-like games, it's not really competition. But give this team some more money, people and time and I think they can be. They did pretty damn well with very little.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you. Not sure how you were taking my comment. I just meant DF was comparing performance when saying that a competitor emerges. Meaning the performance in MS was comparable or better. But people read it as MS as a game was a competitor. While it is good and is much better than most other Souls-like games, it's not really competition. But give this team some more money, people and time and I think they can be. They did pretty damn well with very little.
Yeah, I don't think MS is doing enough original stuff to really be called a "competitor", and there's a lot that it doesn't do as well as DS does. Lore and art style first and foremost come to mind, but MS really nails the "dark and dreary dying world" look that DS1 had, and bumped up to modern graphical levels to boot.

But as far as Souls-likes in general go, MS is really damn good, a lot better than some of the other schlock we've gotten over the years. For fans of the genre as being more widespread than just stuff from a single developer, it scratches that itch and makes a perfectly good addition to the library, IMO.

I still can't figure out why I keep buying these games, though. I've got four of the FromSoft games, and Mortal Shell, and I absolutely suck at all of them.. lol.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Titles in online media are all vetted for business purposes, including engaging and clicks. It is what it is. For discussion purposes, It is more engaging to focus on the content, not just the title. It happens a lot here.

We have to understand the realities of the internet. Even long time print first media institutions are not immune.

understanding something & approving of it are 2 different things. you can completely understand the point of clickbait, yet still despise it...

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah, I don't think MS is doing enough original stuff to really be called a "competitor", and there's a lot that it doesn't do as well as DS does. Lore and art style first and foremost come to mind, but MS really nails the "dark and dreary dying world" look that DS1 had, and bumped up to modern graphical levels to boot.

But as far as Souls-likes in general go, MS is really damn good, a lot better than some of the other schlock we've gotten over the years. For fans of the genre as being more widespread than just stuff from a single developer, it scratches that itch and makes a perfectly good addition to the library, IMO.

I still can't figure out why I keep buying these games, though. I've got four of the FromSoft games, and Mortal Shell, and I absolutely suck at all of them.. lol.
I'm exactly the same. I've played all Souls games, Nioh 1 and 2, Sekiro and never beaten any of them. But I still feel like I get my money's worth. I play them longer than many other games. I just never can finish them. But I appreciate and respect what they do. So I just keep going back. I have about 3k tar sitting out somewhere, waiting for me to get it back tonight. I can't wait.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
understanding something & approving of it are 2 different things. you can completely understand the point of clickbait, yet still despise it...
The only issue folks are having is the "competitor" label. It's fine. "Soulslike" is very awkward and not SEO friendly.

One of the big issues on ERA is the lack of awareness of the importance of marketing today. It's gaping. And it derails threads all the time.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
The only issue folks are having is the "competitor" label. It's fine. "Soulslike" is very awkward and not SEO friendly.

One of the big issues on ERA is the lack of awareness of the importance of marketing today. It's gaping. And it derails threads all the time.

again: there's 'marketing', & then there's pure, obvious, unadulterated, bullshit. & most people don't particularly likes pure bullshit...

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Can you imagine if Digital Foundry did real clickbait?

You won't believe the performance of this Dark Souls killer! This game didn't just kill From Software, they got murdered. *Ecchi fanart in thumbnail*

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
again: there's 'marketing', & then there's pure, obvious, unadulterated, bullshit. & most people don't particularly likes pure bullshit...
"Dark Souls Competitor" is not a BS at all. I wholly disagree.

It helps me understand very quickly that this is a Soulslike game.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
"Dark Souls Competitor" is not a BS at all. I wholly disagree.

It helps me understand very quickly that this is a Soulslike game.

yeah, well, let's just say we've reached an impasse, then. because what 'a dark souls competitor emerges' helps me understand very quickly is that i'm being bullshitted...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Looks and runs better than any from soft game and it's a budget title. I've always said from should stop using their own tech unless it allows them to shit out games faster than third party middleware.
Have you seen the layers and layers of detail in the Souls games? From tends to go overboard with their world design and I think it hurts the fps in the end (on console, at least)

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Souls fans so pressed about a game that's apparently not a competitor lol

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Have you seen the layers and layers of detail in the Souls games? From tends to go overboard with their world design and I think it hurts the fps in the end (on console, at least)
Are you joking? I've never seen anything in a From game that couldn't be handled better in a more capable engine. Yes, their worlds are very rich. But it's known they don't have the best engine running it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's not the detail that does it. The games run like butter on even a mediocre PC, they just seem to be not very good at optimizing for consoles.

Nah the games just don't look good on a technical level, the art direction and stuff is good but the underline engine that they use sucks and this small game borderline indie game is proof. I dont mind it if it has some workflow that allows them to pump out games faster, I'd take that over better tech.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
I have played this for 2 hours and it plays like a bona-fide kusoge, from its movement, controls, hit animation and response. People who completed this, does it have good encounters and enemies for me to continue?
As it is right now, feels extremely cheap with almost no tightness to its mechanics.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Are you joking? I've never seen anything in a From game that couldn't be handled better in a more capable engine. Yes, their worlds are very rich. But it's known they don't have the best engine running it.
Am I joking? Why do people say stuff like this lol, I wouldn't have made my comment if I wasn't joking. Load up bloodborne and check out the amount of geometry in Yharnam. The amount of detail in that game is ridiculous. Could they use a more optimized engine? I'm sure. But that doesn't change the fact that From managed to cram an intense amount of detail into a game that came out like 5 years ago now.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have played this for 2 hours and it plays like a bona-fide kusoge, from its movement, controls, hit animation and response. People who completed this, does it have good encounters and enemies for me to continue?
As it is right now, feels extremely cheap with almost no tightness to its mechanics.
it gets better later on, but I do find it a bit on the easier side.

I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit besides that tho. The environments are fantastic in my opinion.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Am I joking? Why do people say stuff like this lol, I wouldn't have made my comment if I wasn't joking. Load up bloodborne and check out the amount of geometry in Yharnam. The amount of detail in that game is ridiculous. Could they use a more optimized engine? I'm sure. But that doesn't change the fact that From managed to cram an intense amount of detail into a game that came out like 5 years ago now.
Yes, nobody here every jokes or throws in some copypasta. The engine doesn't just need some optimizing. It's at best mediocre. From would benefit greatly from something better. And the idea that From's amazing artwork, detail and richness is just too much for a game engine to run well is incorrect.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, well, let's just say we've reached an impasse, then. because what 'a dark souls competitor emerges' helps me understand very quickly is that i'm being bullshitted...
Your problem seems to stem from some place where you don't have the capacity to realize that "Dark Souls Competitor" doesn't mean anything other than a competing game to dark souls. I'm really not sure what the confusion is here for some of you. This entire "clickbait" discussion seems fairly off the rails and it's sad that people would take the time to argue that using a word correctly constitutes a clickbait title. Some of you gotta wisen up and cut the bull.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Im a huge fan of from but from fans are the worst, they kill the soulslikes on the get go without even knowing what the game is about.