• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Love how the entire house is like an actual video game tutorial. Kinda like how The Witness teaches you the rules to solve its puzzles with examples.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Is SUES PTGI capable of doing raytraced emissive lighting like we see in Minecraft RTX, Quake RTX, and Metro Exodus?
Only for blocks, not for arbitrary surface like lava. As only the second Hit of light on blocks and blocks only are path traced by Seus.

When people compare the two inevitably they will be confusing things like custom textures and post process Ing - otherwise minecraft rtx will (no matter what) be the more accurate path traced. Minecraft RTX path traced every surface regardless of it being a Block or not.
That being said, it is still a very good mod of course and I have put Tons of hours into it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that looks amazon.

I'm tempted to actually play Minecraft now, I haven't played it yet lol.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Dictator not exactly minecraft related, but I wanted to know your thoughts on this. Nvidia put out their latest video in their RT Essentials series and they bring up depth of field and motion blur via ray tracing. it's one function I haven't seen talked about, and I wanted to know your thoughts on the potential quality of such an implementation

*timestamped at 5:02

I'm not aware of any fast way to do them with RT.
Although there could be interesting ways to combine RT with post process solution. (mark pixels which do not get proper values and trace the scene from them.)

If properly made part of the RT pipeline motion blur and depth of field can be very high quality and relatively simple. (Motion blur needs acceleration structure which takes it into account though.)

Basic idea is as follows.
Depth of field, instead of sending rays from point and trough pixel grid, send them from area of open shutter/lens and through the pixel grid toward focal plane.
Basically simulating direction of rays leaving last lens from camera. (Better results can be get by adding information about shape of shutter, tube occlusion etc.)

Motion blur is addition to same basic idea, move the lens through the world and send those rays during time shutter is open.
For proper quality you need to move objects, lights, animations, shaders with time.

When you combine both with path tracing you will get something interesting.
For each path trace leaving lens you change location on lens and time when shooting the ray, meaning amount of paths doesn't necessarily increase that much as path tracing needs lot of paths to have clean image anyway and you get MB/DoF 'automatically' to final image. (Most importantly it's also correct in terms of fast flickering lights, shadows, refraction.. etc.)

For rasterization to get similar quality you would use old temporal buffer method, in which you jitter camera on lense and move it through time once per sub-frame..
Render few hundred images and combine in so called temporal buffer. (Final pixel value = additive value from all frames / amount of frames)
Gran Turismo use this to get those photo images.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
So it sounds to me like with machine learning off XSX GPU performance is likely pretty comparable.
Assuming the Xbox Series X is capable of running DLSS like algorithms with similar performance in the first place.
I believe the XSX demo was running at native res while this PC version is using DLSS. The 2080ti isn't rendering at native 1080p.
4K DLSS is 1080p native, with a 30% performance hit as well. So at native 1080p without DLSS the 2080Ti would be running much faster:

aiDmHpqAA4CFHWRnizTUoJ-970-80.png

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So which texture pack should I use for my world if I just want to play survival but with very pretty graphics?

oYGlbkJ.png

Which is the most "complete" one? It's a bit confusing tbh.

Dictator ??

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So which texture pack should I use for my world if I just want to play survival but with very pretty graphics?

oYGlbkJ.png

Which is the most "complete" one? It's a bit confusing tbh.

Dictator ??
IMO use none of these and activate only this one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/g2qj54/minecraft_rtx_hd_full_texture_pack_download/

my original map pack, packs too many texture files with it and it messes up bedrock.

replace the resource packs in the map file with the one listed above. Or, use the 1.1 verison of the map i uploaded to the nexus.

s0laster

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
This just show how the industry is so deep into the "graphic first, gameplay, uh, maybe". Minecraft doesn't need ultra realistic rendering, it looks freaking ugly.

It's an achievement for sure, it's also going to be the future of AAA games for sure. Or should I say AAA-barely-interactive-movies.

My point is, Minecraft is not a showcase for raytracing, and the industry is still think that graphics is all that matter. Jesus.

Great video though.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
This just show how the industry is so deep into the "graphic first, gameplay, uh, maybe". Minecraft doesn't need ultra realistic rendering, it looks freaking ugly.

It's an achievement for sure, it's also going to be the future of AAA games for sure. Or should I say AAA-barely-interactive-movies.

My point is, Minecraft is not a showcase for raytracing, and the industry is still think that graphics is all that matter. Jesus.

Great video though.
I'd have to disagree with pretty much all of that. Other than the great video part of course :)

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to how a very late graphical addition to a game that already has well-established gameplay indicates they're putting the graphics first. As for the "ugly" remark, I still play Minecraft and I'm considering picking up an RT-capable card essentially just for this.

The video also points out on numerous occasions how the lighting improvements open up new gameplay opportunities.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

Game designers and graphics engineers aren't the same people. There's a massive content update right around the corner, the industry can walk and chew gum at the same time. Never mind that this graphical update alone completely changes how people have designed their builds for a decade and is going to inspire a massive amount of new creative thought all on its own.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
I just wanted to seriously address the questions about gameplay to maybe enlighten people about how gameplay is shaped around the current lighting engine, and how it may have to change gameplay.

Current lighting engine: Light "Levels"
New: RTX

The following things are very much shaped by the current lighting engine and can be potentially different under RTX.
  • The window/skylight/light source placement in nearly every structure in the game
    • Pyramids, Villages, Ocean Monuments, Strongholds, ec.
  • The balancing of light levels in each light source
    • Torches, Sea Lanterns, Lava, Dynamic Lights (Projectiles, Partciles)
  • The effects of both sunlight and moonlight
  • The ambient light of different realms
    • Sunlight vs. Moonlight,The Nether, The End
To put it shortly, how caves are generated, what the structures look like, and how light communicates to the player can all be different.
But that's just different, you're probably wondering what can actually be "New". I think the point of "puzzles" has been perceived to be the only point for some people, but thing have far more implication than that.
  • Mirrors
    • Mazes
    • Puzzles
    • Vanities
    • Doesn't need to be said, but completely new build opportunities
  • New light sources (That make a lot more sense in this engine now)
    • Flashlights
    • Fire arrows giving off light
    • Particles
I think people are thinking a bit narrow-mindedly with this whole "Yeah but what does it ADD".
Ray Tracing is a drastic replacement to the current lighting engine. This doesn't mean that you can now do a Ton of stuff that you couldn't do before. It means that things that the things you already did are now changed for the better. It means things that you COULD do before but just didn't are now much more viable and much more interesting.

For example, arrows acting as a light source. There are reasons that doesn't already happen (It's a moving light source after all), but it would probably look pretty cool now. It's not that you COULDN'T do it before, it's that it's a way more interesting proposition now. Like stained glass windows. You COULD do it before, but that's not the point. Now it's far more interesting.

You COULD have a glass and water ceiling before. It was kinda nice, but NOW it looks even better, and hinges on a very dynamic day-night cycle.

There is no doubt that how you build things has changed integrally: You now consider real-life lighting rather than the relatively simplistic Minecraft Lighting. In terms of straight up "gameplay", entities like monsters and projectiles can now give off light, be lit in actually meaningful ways, etc.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

Great video though.
You know that developer of Minecraft is Mojang and this update was done by Nvidia, right?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just got this recently and holy cow is it beautiful...even after using PTGI off and on for awhile its still very impressive and overall looks a lot cleaner to my eyes. Now I'm just waiting for a nice high res resource pack to come out from the community to mess around with my own structures and light sources. I got the ones on the Nvidia page but can't seem to get them to stay active on creative mode, guessing that's a future update thing.

The maps Nvidia commisioned for this are almost all equally impressive, Neon District in particular is one of the more impressive maps I've explored in MC period. The amount of detail going on there wrt to various districts like the shipping yards, industrial areas etc is nuts.

Aquatic Adventure at night is stunning, all those light blocks casting reflections on the water surface :chefskiss

The jungle one might be the most impressive for demonstrating the RT global lighting, the way the light bends around the twists and turns of the treeline alongside the river, the smaller shafts of light coming through the deeper forest, it's really stunning.

Next gen needs to hurry up and get here with more RT enabled games, I need more :P

Last edited: