• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the way the surface of water is a perfect mirror while you're underneath it, and grass feels like it's too glossy, but 99% of this is absolutely gorgeous. Gonna wind up getting a GPU upgrade for friggin' Minecraft.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Been playing on RTX 2060 with Ryzen 5 3600x with ADATA 16gb ddr4 2666hz RAM

Performance was better than i expected mainly 50-60fps in most of the RTX maps rarely goes 45fps

I didn't fiddle with graphic settings all stock what they set it to it did say it was using DLSS but i don't know which DLSS did they use it didn't specify at top

I did have weird big glitches in some maps outdoor lighting spazzing out black and white but indoors was fine, some maps outside lighting no glitches forget which ones

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
My personal issue with it so far is the lack of texture on reflective objects, the mirror like reflections can get confusing sometimes and have that perfect sheen to it.

Performance seems ok enough from my usage between 40-60 with some 80s but Totems and Temples got it to the mid 30s. I'm on an 8700 and an RTX 2070.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It looks incredible, and now that DLSS 2.0 has greatly improved the performance of RTX, I'm very excited for next-gen ray-traced games - even if most won't do full path tracing.
Hopefully they will be able to do something about the temporal lag/ghosting, and hopefully the 30-series will bring big improvements to RT performance.

One thing I am left wondering, and it may seem obvious, but: can RTX render imperfect mirrors?
I think that's the one thing we've yet to see in a ray-traced game; but I don't know if it's just because they want everything to be extra-shiny to show things off, if it can't be done, or if it can be done but is considerably more expensive to render.

It looks great, but don't see how this changes the game, aside from making it lose it's "simplistic charm".
Oh no. We're really going to have to suffer through lots of "but how does RT change the gameplay" like we did with 3D on the 3DS, aren't we?

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to load in the world in the DF video? Where to drop the files/how to load them?

Tried dropping the folder into AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\minecraftWorlds

but no dice, it doesn't seem to load onto the list

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS 2.0 really is great. Can't even tell it's not running native resolution here. I really wish this tech could be ported to other games as well, just so you could opt for 144Hz or something in Ultra settings.

RTX looks great as usual, too. Really excited for this stuff to take off in more places. Running around 50ish FPS on my i5 9600k and RTX2070 (non super) @ 1440p. If I run at 1080p I can go 60-70 easy, and with DLSS it hardly looks different to me than 1440p.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, the Chinati Foundation. One of the most amazing museums in the world. (Though you lose points if you took that photo, which is forbidden AF in there.)

Haha that's not my pic, but I do have some. The guide told us "this is the part of the tour where I turn around and let you take some pics".

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Seems to run well on my laptop with max settings and the maximum allowed render distance! Will post more screenshots later showing it off. Looks awesome!

MEwGaRE.png

EDIT: that's with DLSS. Without DSLL it dropped to 35 FPS lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does it lock you out unless you have an RTX card? Was hoping to try on my 1080 even with an unplayable frame rate to see how it looks

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Anyone know how to load in the world in the DF video? Where to drop the files/how to load them?

Tried dropping the folder into AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\minecraftWorlds

but no dice, it doesn't seem to load onto the list
C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftWorlds

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
So it seems like you can't actually "play" normal Minecraft yet, right? You can only load into these pre-made worlds and wander around, maybe doing some quests they have in them? I was really hoping to be able to create a new random world with RTX and just play survival.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So it seems like you can't actually "play" normal Minecraft yet, right? You can only load into these pre-made worlds and wander around, maybe doing some quests they have in them? I was really hoping to be able to create a new random world with RTX and just play survival.

The level Crystal Palace allows building and mining

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Excuse my non pc gamer question but...

Would I notice this detail running a Ryzen 3600 on a b450I motherboard with either a 580, 590, or 1660 S on a cheap ultrawide LG monitor?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The city map makes my laptop die lol

Also apparently hitting stuff makes it glitch out:

Would I notice this detail running a Ryzen 3600 on a b450I motherboard with either a 580, 590, or 1660 S on a cheap ultrawide LG monitor?
Your GPU doesn't have RTX so it would run at literally 4-5 FPS or so. Maybe even less

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Ray tracing can be displayed on any monitor. When it comes to ray tracing, your CPU and motherboard kinda matter but not nearly as much as your video card. The cards you listed aren't RTX cards so they don't natively support ray tracing. It will run terribly, if it runs at all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dictator not exactly minecraft related, but I wanted to know your thoughts on this. Nvidia put out their latest video in their RT Essentials series and they bring up depth of field and motion blur via ray tracing. it's one function I haven't seen talked about, and I wanted to know your thoughts on the potential quality of such an implementation

*timestamped at 5:02

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very impressed. I'm playing this on a RTX 2060 laptop and in the high fidelity maps like the Aqua and theme park one, I'm mostly between 40 and 60 FPS, at 1080p DLSS (under water in the 30s). On my WQHD monitor I can usually maintain a steady 30 FPS, although there are some scenes where I fall under 30 FPS, like under water or the enourmous inside of a castle. I wish there was a way to enable DLSS Performance (720p) on WQHD and 1080p (540p), so I could reach that steady 30 and 60 FPS. Chunks are at 16.

Unfortunately, the Temple map is unplayable, regardless which resolution or settings I use. But I don't mind it, the other ones are more asthetically pleasing IMO.

Path Tracing in Real Time is incredible and all that on a laptop.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Too bad that video does not shows outdoors areas (not impressive enough?).
PS - how much DF rig with RTX 2080ti cost at average?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This is such an awesome tech demo I'm excited to mess around with this at the Series X launch, even though I'm not into Minecraft.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I'd love to see how much the cpu actually makes a difference in this beta. my 2700x usage is around 10%

Bet a Ryzen 3 would be good enough.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
Dictator not exactly minecraft related, but I wanted to know your thoughts on this. Nvidia put out their latest video in their RT Essentials series and they bring up depth of field and motion blur via ray tracing. it's one function I haven't seen talked about, and I wanted to know your thoughts on the potential quality of such an implementation

*timestamped at 5:02

Is that video showing actual examples of realtime raytraced DOF and motion blur? It has the same artifacts as the methods used in games right now (unwanted blurring of foreground/background elements around the edges).

Raytraced motion blur is something I really want to see in games as well. It's insanely heavy in offline rendering.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
runs at 60-70fps with an RTX2070S, kind of lame that you cant actually create your own rtx worlds.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, didn't watch the vid yet(Going tomorrow after I looked at all worlds myself), but I don't see other threads about this.

What is DLSS upscaling from at 1080p and at 1440p? I'm guessing 540p and 720p? All I know is I can't tell the difference with and without upscaling other than a big FPS drop with it off, which is really really cool. Bugging me right now without knowing haha.

Last edited:

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
Nah. They have already shown this running decently on the XSX, *before* optimization. Everything we've seen points to the XSX hitting RTX2080 or higher performance levels and this runs at 30fps on a RTX2060.
The Series X demo was a simple world that ran from 30 to 60fps @1080p, which means on average 45fps, if not less, that with less crowded enviroments, and lots of interiors. However the 2080Ti is able to sustain locked 60fps @1080p and complex worlds, and is likely running a much higher and complex set of visuals as well. Clearly the Series X RT capabilities are much lower than a 2080Ti or even a 2080.

Dec 8, 2018
You can now make puzzles and gameplay entirely based upon the principles of light. That is a pretty big change. If you dramatically change a game's lighting, you change the gameplay quite a lot.

Like what? Sry I just have a hard time figuring how gameplay could change simply from raytracing or any lighting outside of moving mirrors and similar in puzzles but that have been done for ages.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
The Series X demo was a simple world that ran from 30 to 60fps @1080p, which means on average 45fps, if not less, that with less crowded enviroments, and lots of interiors. However the 2080Ti is able to sustain locked 60fps @1080p and complex worlds, and is likely running a much higher and complex set of visuals as well. Clearly the Series X RT capabilities are much lower than a 2080Ti or even a 2080.

That doesn't "mean" an average of 45fps... it would depend how much time the game spends at what frame rate what the actual average is. All we know is the XSX managed an average frame rate of somewhere between 30 and 60fps at 1080p with no machine learning upscaling assistance. The pcgamer benchmarks have an RTX 2080 at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 off managing between 38 and 50fps. So it sounds to me like with machine learning off XSX GPU performance is likely pretty comparable.