• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Minecraft is the perfect game to debut raytracing. The game allows a good platform to mess with the new technology and hopefully serve as a bridge for it to be adopted in future games.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want an RPG with ray traced graphics like this so fucking bad.

Not a knock on Minecraft I am just more interested in an RPG.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Runs like hot garbage on my pc.

1080p with DLSS on

RTX 2070 super @ 2ghz
Ryzen 7 2700x 4.3ghz
16gb trident z 3200mhz
Samsung 970 nvme.

minecraftscreenshot20p5j0z.png

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Man, DLSS is so fucking cool. *4K path tracing at almost 60FPS locked.

I know people are worried about the diminishing returns that will eventually come to hardware, but software will help us break beyond that.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It feels like there is so much input lag with my mouse. so awful.

And also this image is a straight up lie.

minecraft-with-rtx-beta-nvidia-dlss-2-0-geforce-rtx-1920x1080-color-light-shadow-performance.png
That image is the performance for a different world and not "of temples and totems" - one that is not full to the brim with transparencies. All of those leave blocks on the trees there in "of temples and totems" are expensive transparencies and the entire level is made of them.

That level is a user created ĂĽbermode for rendering considering how expensive transparencies are.

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Can't even get insider hub to load properly, keep getting http call error, must be getting hammered.

Edit: now it's working.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That temples map is also extremly memory intensive. Performance there should be lower than in the other maps.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
That image is the performance for a different world and not "of temples and totems" - one that is not full to the brim with transparencies. All of those leave blocks on the trees there in "of temples and totems" are expensive transparencies and the entire level is made of them.

That level is a user created ĂĽbermode for rendering considering how expensive transparencies are.

That would explain it.

Thank you for the insight.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic video. My Insider HUB app won't let me do anything so I can't test it out. Just got an RTX card last night.

I'll try again in a couple of hours.

EDIT: It's working now :D

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is there a way to change the base resolution in the game without changing your desktop resolution? I have a 4k monitor and I get about 40ish fps on my 2070super. Would like to scale that down to something lower.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
This is the most incredible looking lighting I have ever seen in real time.

Good Lord.
minecraftscreenshot204fk1r.png

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I know optimization for this will improve exponentially, but the performance cost of this level of RT I feel is too massive for next gen consoles.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most incredible looking lighting I have ever seen in real time.

Good Lord.
minecraftscreenshot204fk1r.png
Loved this video and love this screenshot, but when I first saw this, I immediately thought of the Rare titles on N64 making excessive use of (moving) coloured lights to show off. Even cyan was used weirdly often as one of the colours. Time is a flat circle I guess.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody cant have a party now because of the crisis.
Just start up this. You have your own nightclub.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I know optimization for this will improve exponentially, but the performance cost of this level of RT I feel is too massive for next gen consoles.
It's almost like next gen designs didn't intend for big titles to fully render with ray tracing and instead use it to offload the calculation of certain lighting effects and conditions.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great to see that RT is also affecting actual gameplay and I look forward to what next gen can provide in new possibilities.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Most of us would have laughed in the face of anyone saying a game would be capable of full ray tracing 10 years ago.

This blows my mind. And it's just the beginning.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
It looks great, but don't see how this changes the game, aside from making it lose it's "simplistic charm".
Path tracing absolutely changes the game. Thats 100s of thousands of man hours spent artificially lighting scenes that could be better spent elsewhere.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
As Dictator shiwed in the video, he quickly creates a bunch of content that look good, interesting, classy and dhow off the tech easily and quickly. No need to manage light sources, baked lights and other "tricks" that take a combo of time and talent to create good, interesting and/or convincing lighting.

So path tracing is off the table?
For graphical show stopping ("AAA" as some may say) games? Almost definitely not happening. Next gen isn't going to be the gen of "gully raytraced games/rendering. Tech isn't there yet.

But some indies and non-photoreal games? Def. could happen, especially if and when (ML) upscaled rendering methods become more common.

Convincing lighting/reflections on top of a non ray traced renderer (a la Metro and Control with RTX)? Lots of little touches and methods impossible today? For sure.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
As Dictator shiwed in the video, he quickly creates a bunch of content that look good, interesting, classy and dhow off the tech easily and quickly. No need to manage light sources, baked lights and other "tricks" that take a combo of time and talent to create good, interesting and/or convincing lighting.
When I said game changer I meant in the context of Minecraft.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Nah. They have already shown this running decently on the XSX, *before* optimization. Everything we've seen points to the XSX hitting RTX2080 or higher performance levels and this runs at 30fps on a RTX2060.

I have zero worries about Ray Tracing working on the XSX, XSS and PS5. The resolution will be scaled back depending on the GPU, but I have zero doubt the AMD version of DLSS will help with this.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It looks great, but don't see how this changes the game, aside from making it lose it's "simplistic charm".

It's basically a tech demo for ray tracing, shown on a game not otherwise know for it's graphics. Look how much improvement you can make to some blocks and how much closer to real life it immediately becomes.
If a simple game like this can benefit, just imagine other things.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I recently went to Marfa and saw some art exhibits that played with color in the same way. Wild to see it in a video game rendered in real time.

DT_9330_Chinati_IN_156.jpg

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me wonder what next-gen games will look like when designers can build a game with RTX from the start. Even today's high-end RTX games like Control or Metro are still built with today's hardware in mind and RTX is sort of layered on top of it. I think games built around it at a base level will be on a whole other level compared to what we've seen so far.

That video made me really want to play this, but I don't have a RTX card to use with it. I'm curious how it will work on my 1080, given how Quake II runs at around 7fps with its path tracing on.. lol. So I might look into it once it gets out of beta. Plus I want to wait at least another generation or two before picking up a new graphics card, unless my current card starts seeing a real deficit once next-gen games start hitting the market. I like to wait a little while for the tech to mature before jumping in.

Is this going to be a separate release, or will it be like an add-on for the current Windows build?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me wonder what next-gen games will look like when designers can build a game with RTX from the start. Even today's high-end RTX games like Control or Metro are still built with today's hardware in mind and RTX is sort of layered on top of it. I think games built around it at a base level will be on a whole other level compared to what we've seen so far.

That video made me really want to play this, but I don't have a RTX card to use with it. I'm curious how it will work on my 1080, given how Quake II runs at around 7fps with its path tracing on.. lol. So I might look into it once it gets out of beta. Plus I want to wait at least another generation or two before picking up a new graphics card, unless my current card starts seeing a real deficit once next-gen games start hitting the market. I like to wait a little while for the tech to mature before jumping in.

Is this going to be a separate release, or will it be like an add-on for the current Windows build?

It's going to be a feature in the Win10 version of the game once they roll it out widely.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
qdBhkiG.jpg

Looks great, and I can't stop playing with the mirrors. Performance isn't bad imo, but I have no idea what resolution it's actually running at. DLSS does a really good job.

I managed to build a camera obscura too, and it actually works! Amazing stuff.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My wife and I recently went to Marfa and saw some art exhibits that played with color in the same way. Wild to see it in a video game rendered in real time.

DT_9330_Chinati_IN_156.jpg

Ah, yes, the Chinati Foundation. One of the most amazing museums in the world. (Though you lose points if you took that photo, which is forbidden AF in there.)

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you start a new game with RTX stuff enabled? I see that I can download those RTX example maps but I just want the regular randomly-generated game.

Haven't really used this W10 app version before.