• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Just posted, almost 40 minutes long.

Specs:

Ryzen 3900X
RTX 2080 Ti
4K DLSS (1080p internal)
60fps (mid-50s or lower when underwater)

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to try this. How do you actually get into the beta?

edit: Found it. Gotta launch the Xbox Insider app in Windows 10, then look for the Minecraft beta.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It looks great, but don't see how this changes the game, aside from making it lose it's "simplistic charm".

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So, "Steve" doesn't reflect?
He does. In minecraft he just does not exist unless you choose the 3rd person option.

Like a lot of FPS games, minecraft cheats to make its first person and has separate non existing first person models and culls away a 3rd person model.

I presume in the future they will have to change the way minecraft works so that you can see yourself in reflections (but even then it would not line up perfectly since the first person view is just a hack anyway).
It looks great, but don't see how this changes the game, aside from making it lose it's "simplistic charm".

You can now make puzzles and gameplay entirely based upon the principles of light. That is a pretty big change. If you dramatically change a game's lighting, you change the gameplay quite a lot.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
He does. In minecraft he just does not exist unless you choose the 3rd person option.

Like a lot of FPS games, minecraft cheats to make its first person and has separate non existing first person models and culls away a 3rd person model.

I presume in the future they will have to change the way minecraft works so that you can see yourself in reflections (but even then it would not line up perfectly since the first person view is just a hack anyway).
Have you tried inviting other users into your world to test it out? Not just third-person view, but multi-player.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Have you tried inviting other users into your world to test it out? Not just third-person view, but multi-player.
I played a bit with the developers while interviewing them. You can see their models reflected in the path tracing and them bouncing light of themselves, just not your own model since (like I mentioned) Minecraft cheats like a lot of games. They will have to make a hacky work around to have the thirdperson model also render at the same time.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sooo I got the beta but where do I enable RTX? I don't see the option anywhere

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Insider Hub having some....difficulties...
2w6aWgF.png

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing, I've messed around with the PTGI version for awhile now so I'm really looking forward to using the official RTX version of course that's after I play the pending game on the insider app lol.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
This is so cool, realistic lighting is one of the things that I'm most excited about in the future.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Great video showing off the possibilities with ray tracing - can't wait for next gen games built with this feature in mind.

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
This is nuts. I honestly never thought i'd see the day where someone could reproduce a working camera obscura in a game like this.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be crazy when this becomes standard across all games. Control is another game that used it so well and the game was absolutely stunning.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the servers are dying now since I can't even log into the Xbox Insider Hub either on Xbox or PC

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
You can now make puzzles and gameplay entirely based upon the principles of light. That is a pretty big change. If you dramatically change a game's lighting, you change the gameplay quite a lot.

Do not sleep on this, folks. The "puzzle" testing room provided in the RTX Beta is rudimentary in terms of its puzzles, but once you see how it plays out, there's some brain-splosion stuff in terms of dreaming of what else game makers could do with it. I also go into the incredible sense of wonder provided by the way light naturally plays out in the course of an average Minecraft experience in my own article (which I won't link here cuz I'm not here to try and swipe clicks from DF's work).

Thanks for the deep dive, Team DF.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sooo I got the beta but where do I enable RTX? I don't see the option anywhere

You already got a response, but the biggie to clarify: once you're defintively *IN* the RTX version of the beta, go into its Minecraft marketplace and search for "RTX." You should get some world options that are all labeled RTX and are all free to download. Loading these worlds will turn RTX on by default. You need their specific RTX resource packs (which come with the world downloads) for the RTX options to turn on.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think what makes this even more amazing...the fact its in Minecraft, which is a hugely creative game. Imagine what else people can make when they get the play more!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You already got a response, but the biggie to clarify: once you're defintively *IN* the RTX version of the beta, go into its Minecraft marketplace and search for "RTX." You should get some world options that are all labeled RTX and are all free to download. Loading these worlds will turn RTX on by default. You need their specific RTX resource packs (which come with the world downloads) for the RTX options to turn on.
Wait, so I can't use RTX on one of my own worlds? :(

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wait, so I can't use RTX on one of my own worlds? :(

Not until you import it with an RTX resource pack attached, and other steps. It's SO SIMPLE:

www.nvidia.com

Minecraft World Conversion Guide, For Bedrock and Minecraft with RTX

Follow our unofficial Minecraft with RTX guide to convert your Minecraft Java worlds to Minecraft Windows 10 Bedrock edition, enabling them to be enhanced with PBR textures and path-traced ray tracing.

...it's not a one-click process, at any rate, but it's doable.