• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
That is post processing, this implementation is *more realistic and true to the real physics* of light and faster. It has to be of course as it is a native Implementation, they have the true source access and hw API Support that the Java version does not have.
how much faster are we talking about? You mentiuoned the SEUS version barely ran 1080p60 with a 2080Ti. How fast is the new RTX version running?

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
I am still skeptical we will see real hardware implementation of ray tracing on next gen consoles. If it they just feature Navi 10 gpus, then this demo will be impossible to run on next gen consoles.
Microsoft officially confirmed they have hardware RT in the next xbox.
I think I still prefer the way ptgi looks and I believe it's also significantly less impactful to performance than the official RTX implementation. Heck I've seen it running semi decently on a 980 iirc

Nope, RTX should and will run way faster. PTGI uses shaders only, RTX uses RT cores + shaders.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
RTX is just Nvidia's layer to communicate between DXR and their hardware. Both consoles are set to have hardware accelerated ray tracing so I would expect Minecraft on the Scarlett to have this updated render engine along with RT support either at launch or somewhere near it.
You still need to consider:

1. What kind of hardware accelerated solution has AMD come up with in a short time, after Nvidia caught them completely off guard?

2. How much die space/budget can the consoles afford to give to this technology, versus Nvidia who doesn't have to care about such restraints?

Temper your expectations of what the consoles will be able to do here, until we learn more.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is it doesn't look much better than other games that overdo this effect
I mean, I get preferring one over the other, but it's more a question of which looks more realistic. a trend I've seen is that people think the more faked effect looks more realistic simply because they can see more in darker areas.

I think it's gonna take some getting used to for some folks when devs go for a realistic look

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I really like how it looks and after Quake RTX really hope more old games try this.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I get preferring one over the other, but it's more a question of which looks more realistic. a trend I've seen is that people think the more faked effect looks more realistic simply because they can see more in darker areas.

I think it's gonna take some getting used to for some folks when devs go for a realistic look

But even then the outdoor lighting in general doesn't look very realistic.

The air has a heavy thickness to it, which I can understand in foggy weather but why does it look that way in clearer weather types as well? Why are the colours in shaded areas so overly desaturated? If your window is open during the morning and the sun is pouring in, do you see intense godrays filtering in like during the 17 minute mark?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nvidia devs accidentally created a camera obscura in minecraft through the simulation of light with their ray tracing tech. (start at 7:14)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia devs accidentally created a camera obscura in minecraft through the simulation of light with their ray tracing tech. (start at 7:14)

It was intentional, they told them to stop breaking the heart shape lights and walk behind the wall and they saw why.

The end of the video is incredible. This is going to be amazing to play with when it finally releases.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was intentional, they told them to stop breaking the heart shape lights and walk behind the wall and they saw why.

The end of the video is incredible. This is going to be amazing to play with when it finally releases.
They mean when they were making the path tracer, they discovered they can create the effect, leading them to make that feature of the demo

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is goddamn gorgeous. Add this to that minecraft looking MMO and I would actually try it out.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
You still need to consider:

1. What kind of hardware accelerated solution has AMD come up with in a short time, after Nvidia caught them completely off guard?

2. How much die space/budget can the consoles afford to give to this technology, versus Nvidia who doesn't have to care about such restraints?

Temper your expectations of what the consoles will be able to do here, until we learn more.
I agree with this. It seems that people are just super hyped about next gen consoles without considering how it actually going to turn up. If we look at rtx gpu's, their dies are just massive. The dedicated ray tracing hardware takes up a lot of real estate of the die. It's why I am skeptical of the claims both console makers are making about ray tracing. I just don't expect to see any major hardware support for the price they are targeting.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I agree with this. It seems that people are just super hyped about next gen consoles without considering how it actually going to turn up. If we look at rtx gpu's, their dies are just massive. The dedicated ray tracing hardware takes up a lot of real estate of the die. It's why I am skeptical of the claims both console makers are making about ray tracing. I just don't expect to see any major hardware support for the price they are targeting.
Not to mention AMD is likely years behind Nvidia in regards to raytracing related R&D, and that's being generous. If these effect's are taxing 2080s today then I really don't see how AMDs solution (much less on consoles) can keep up.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like there is no self-reflections in the mirrored surfaces? Seems like missed opportunity to me!

Oct 31, 2017
I know this visual style doesn't seem to work for everyone based on some of these replies, but after watching the entire video last night I almost felt giddy. This convinced me to care about an RTX card when I upgrade my 1080 in the next year or so.

Playing Breath of the Wild through CEMU in 4K and tweaking all the foliage and item colors and shaders made it feel like brand new experience and blew me away. This looks like an entirely different level and being able to treat the use of light as a major design decision when building structures seems too exciting to pass up.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Seems that a simple-looking game like Minecraft will have a much larger enhancement in the graphics department than more realistic looking games from RTX.