• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
title is from the video, by the way

We've put Sonic Ether's Minecraft ray tracing mod through its paces in the past, but now Mojang is in the process of adding its own official support - with truly glorious results. Join Alex and John as they play through a Gamescom build showing the benefits of the technology.

this is a pretty long and in-depth look at the official path tracer for Minecraft. also, stay for Dictator gush about how the ray tracing works

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The bloom seems a bit heavy, but the outdoor environments looked pretty good.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Best game to show off what raytracing is all about. Looking forward to games having this next generation. Minecraft also looks ridiculously good with it on.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Holy shit, it's legit amazing how much lighting can do for a game. I can't wait for ray-tracing to become more commonplace.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling that delayed super duper graphics update is getting some ray-tracing love and more for next gen.

A lot of it looks lovely but Inwonder how far they would go because materials look way different even if it's more realistic perhaps, would that clash with what people know.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
After I saw the SonicEther video I was really excited for this Ray Tracing, but the small videos and pictures Microsoft put out the last few days for this solution gave me the smallest bit of doubt.

Now that we can see it in full effect, I'm fully convinced. I mean some of those shots are insane looking. I really hope they indeed release it this year.

Thank you DigitalFoundryfor doing this video, your commentary is appreciated as always, and I'm excited to see/hear more.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that delayed super duper graphics update is getting some ray-tracing love and more for next gen.

A lot of it looks lovely but Inwonder how far they would go because materials look way different even if it's more realistic perhaps, would that clash with what people know.
This is what MS are doing in lieu of the super duper graphics pack, which seems sound looking at what they're getting out of their new render backend and RTX support.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
After I saw the SonicEther video I was really excited for this Ray Tracing, but the small videos and pictures Microsoft put out the last few days for this solution gave me the smallest bit of doubt.

Now that we can see it in full effect, I'm fully convinced. I mean some of those shots are insane looking. I really hope they indeed release it this year.

Thank you DigitalFoundryfor doing this video, your commentary is appreciated as always, and I'm excited to see/hear more.

This is also another good video showcasing a bunch of other Shader mods for the Java Edition of Minecraft. Personally I use SEUS, and it makes minecraft look honestly like a different game. The water looks better then most games I've played recently.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's neat but I can't help but feel like it really ruins the bright, vibrant colors of Minecraft's aesthetic.

It's like those hideous "Unreal Fan Remakes" of classic videogames.

But I'll likely be in the minority with such an opinion.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018

This is also another good video showcasing a bunch of other Shader mods for the Java Edition of Minecraft. Personally I use SEUS, and it makes minecraft look honestly like a different game. The water looks better then most games I've played recently.

Thanks for that video, I may have to check out some shaders while I'm waiting for this to come out.

I really like the things that shaders do, but I think the thing that impresses me the most is ray tracing itself. I like all the small rooms with colored lighting effects and the way light rays shoot into things.

I've always liked Shaders for how impressive they make water look specifically, but other than that I think I'm most excited about is that almost indescribable "It just looks real" kind of lighting that DF have touched on in their videos and (hopefully) Ray Tracing provides for even better in the future.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1 minute in and the lighting granularity is off the walls.

It's neat but I can't help but feel like it really ruins the bright, vibrant colors of Minecraft's aesthetic.

Rather than focus on the 'result', focus on the behaviour.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I've always liked Shaders for how impressive they make water look specifically, but other than that I think I'm most excited about is that almost indescribable "It just looks real" kind of lighting that DF have touched on in their videos and (hopefully) Ray Tracing provides for even better in the future.
Yeah with SEUS I really feel that way. It has GI, and you can enable lightshafts on it.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Bloom aside, it looks awesome. It's funny how the best RT showcases are old/lo-fi games. None of the AAA that implemented it so far convinced me otherwise, but yeah here it's a real game changer.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Bloom aside, it looks awesome. It's funny how the best RT showcases are old/lo-fi games. None of the AAA that implemented it so far convinced me otherwise, but yeah here it's a real game changer.
I think that is because newer games have to focus on one or two RT effects due to the the rest of the rendering still taking up a decent amount of time in the rendering pipeline. Older games have a much lighter rendering load in terms of polygons, textures, cpu stuff, etc. so they can pack more advanced/holistic RT implentations, resulting in a more impressive showing when comparing RT on to RT off.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You know this will be on the next Xbox minecraft edition :)

I'm not sure if a console launching next year will have a GPU that's top of the line by today's standards. Current gen console GPUs were several years outdated when they launched. Also the console makers work with AMD, and RTX is Nvidia technology.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't know why but my brain doesn't like these blocky games w/ ray tracing added. Quake RTX gave me the same reaction; like I understand the tech and all that but aesthetically these do not please me lol

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

I am still skeptical we will see real hardware implementation of ray tracing on next gen consoles. If it they just feature Navi 10 gpus, then this demo will be impossible to run on next gen consoles.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

I would think that color and vibrancy are relatively easily tweaked. I would be surprised if ray tracing was directly tied to a specific resource pack, too. You wouldn't get the neat material effects and 3D effects on the blocks if the texture pack wasn't made with them in mind, but it'd probably be a very easy way to inject some color back in if this implementation launched as-is with no user configuration.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think I still prefer the way ptgi looks and I believe it's also significantly less impactful to performance than the official RTX implementation. Heck I've seen it running semi decently on a 980 iirc

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I think the SEUS PTGI shader looks more realistic. The overshine effect (see fire at 11:12) looks fake as hell.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think the SEUS PTGI shader looks more realistic. The overshine effect (see fire at 11:12) looks fake as hell.
That is post processing, this implementation is *more realistic and true to the real physics* of light and faster. It has to be of course as it is a native Implementation, they have the true source access and hw API Support that the Java version does not have.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see this with a good texture pack. The Mojang packs ain't doing it for me.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Do these existing shader packs stress the GPU or cpu more? Got a 1080gtx and not sure how good I can currently make Minecraft look
GPU. I run it on a ASUS GTX1080 and AMD 2700x and get 35-60 fps (everything on highest settings, 1080p, render distance 16 far). Give it a try!

That is post processing, this implementation is *more realistic and true to the real physics* of light and faster. It has to be of course as it is a native Implementation, they have the true source access and hw API Support that the Java version does not have.
So you can turn it off separately?

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this is incredible. I cannot wait to see people's creations upgraded with RT

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
So you can turn it off separately?
You can turn bloom and other post-processing effects off and on in SEUS. Whether you can when this releases who knows, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't as Minecraft's default settings are pretty flexible given the variety of systems it has to run on. They're still tweaking it themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's dialed back by default too and is just high to make it look impressively bright in demos.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if a console launching next year will have a GPU that's top of the line by today's standards. Current gen console GPUs were several years outdated when they launched. Also the console makers work with AMD, and RTX is Nvidia technology.

RTX is just Nvidia's layer to communicate between DXR and their hardware. Both consoles are set to have hardware accelerated ray tracing so I would expect Minecraft on the Scarlett to have this updated render engine along with RT support either at launch or somewhere near it.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is still the main one I want to see but I'm kinda liking how this current crop of ray traced games are turning out more than the first run.

I am still skeptical we will see real hardware implementation of ray tracing on next gen consoles. If it they just feature Navi 10 gpus, then this demo will be impossible to run on next gen consoles.

IIRC it's confirmed or heavily rumored that they're using hardware so they should run it. But given they're not going to use Nvidia's technology (and I don't think we have any idea at the moment how close the competition is to Nvidia) and the tendency of these demos to be using the 2080 and 2080 Ti - the current #2 and #1 consumer ray tracing GPUs available - it's hard to predict what these will look like if/when they get console versions.

Probably best to keep expectations low and be pleasantly surprised.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
if roumers are true about nextgen consoles having rt hardware, hope a indie dev makes a fully path traced game becouse of how good path traced minecraft/quake 2.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
The effect works just as well as SEUS with interiors, but those volumetric rays look incredibly unnatural.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think that is because newer games have to focus on one or two RT effects due to the the rest of the rendering still taking up a decent amount of time in the rendering pipeline. Older games have a much lighter rendering load in terms of polygons, textures, cpu stuff, etc. so they can pack more advanced/holistic RT implentations, resulting in a more impressive showing when comparing RT on to RT off.
That is definitely a factor. Older games with simpler art styles also have less going visually on to distract from the lighting. Makes me wonder how something like Mario 64 would look with raytracing.