• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A 2.5D platformer with triple-A production values, the collaboration between Nintendo and Mercury Steam produces a stone-cold classic that's a credit to the Switch library that brings back everything great about the Metroid franchise and pushes the series in new directions.
www.eurogamer.net

Metroid Dread - a brilliant game that breathes new life into Switch

It's finally here. After multiple cancelled attempts over the years, Metroid Dread is finally here. Nintendo's collabor…
  • boot up is fast
  • loading into the game is fast and few loading scenes are quick
  • cutscenes are all real time
  • 900p in docked, 720p handheld
  • no AA
  • the game plays with camera in ways that can only be done in 3D and HD
  • movement is great
  • lots of animation blending
  • fluid simulation looks greats
  • environment-based film grain
  • particles update at 30Hz
  • framerate and frame time is 99% stable
  • stutter does happen, possibly due to streaming
  • cutscenes are in 30fps
  • 5.1 surround sound supported
  • John thinks it's the best audio design of 2021
  • lots of Another World allusions
  • the best Mercury Steam game yet

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see solid 60 fps
I noted DF/John is effusive in his praise of the ambience, effects work and visuals

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Gushing praise in almost every area, you love to see it. Seems like Mercury Steam killed it. :)

RojoRedRouge

Nov 30, 2017
The HD rumble is excellent on Dread, but unfortunately no one cares about it, even DF :(

Last edited:

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Was waiting on this until the Holidays, but the wait just keeps getting harder…

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
glad they touched on the sound design, it's fantastic. everything feels super polished

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Weird i was actually saying how long the loading times felt to myself last night

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best audio design of 2021? More than returnal?!
Let me watch this whole thing as i wait for my copy to arrive in a bit
Props to the work they did on performance. Mercury steam x Nintendo seems like such great collaborators

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite touch so far is the little "hand above the opening" pose Samus does at narrow space openings. Love that sort of thing.

The flame particle effects look bad though. Weird they didn't pick a nicer asset.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Best audio design of 2021" is great to hear. It's a shame I won't be able to use my headphones with the Switch Pro Controller though. Definitely the biggest pain in the ass for me.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
All this praise and the game is also genuinely fun and good. Not quite the level of the current king but deffo among the top.
I knew it wasn't as low as 720p but definitely not 1080p
If you wanna go higher you can emulate it easily at 1440p/4k at 60fps if you own a Switch that can dump backups.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I don't give a shit what anyone says, 900p docked for the Switch is respectable and hitting that res while maintaining a smooth 60fps shows MS worked their butts off to optimize the game.

TornadoDDT

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2021
User Warned: Dismissive Drive-By; Attempted Thread Derail
But but but but who needs Metroid when Indie developers give us games like hollo night 🥴🥴🥴

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Art style also lets it looks stunning for future consoles. 4K Auto HDR from Ryujinx is stunning.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It's interesting how most Switch games max out around 900p when docked. What is the main bottleneck? I'm guessing the docked clocks don't scale enough for the increased resolution compared to the handheld 720p clocks?

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I don't normally play my Switch in docked mode but if the sound design is that strong, I may have to give this a shot on the home theater.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Stoked to hear it's native 720p in handheld. All the more reason to exclusively play it in handheld on the OLED units.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how most Switch games max out around 900p when docked. What is the main bottleneck? I'm guessing the docked clocks don't scale enough for the increased resolution compared to the handheld 720p clocks?
Largely particle and alpha effects have a heavy impact given switch's limited bandwidth

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I simply adore 2.5D stuff, I wish I had a Switch for this. Makes my craving for a Turrican 2.5D remake even more intense.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing this makes me weep for the possibility of Samus Returns HD. (And whatever the heck else These guys are working on.)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This is going to be a treat to play on the big screen while wearing headphones and all lights off. Can't fucking wait till Sunday when I get the whole day free for this.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it was a good idea to wait until tonight to have it hooked up to my 5.1 system. Can't wait to dig in.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear the sound mix is solid. Nintendo's first party title sound mixes are under appreciated. Their visuals may appear dated, but the sound in nearly every one of them—phenomenal. They don't get enough attention.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Best sound design? Damn John that's a high mark to beat with Returnal out there.