• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Exactly in line with my experience. It's extremely bizarre and hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong and sort it shortly. We've reached out to them regarding this issue.

Yeah it's very odd. I'm actually going to opt my console into an even faster ring so see if there is any difference in newer builds.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Set the Xbox at 24 (8bIt) and standard color space.
Anything other than that is an upscale in bit depth and a downgrade in chroma subsampling.
A lot more data is going through like that, whether you can see the difference is another thing :)

^this is all obviously thrown up in the air by the fact there is an intermitant bug affecting RGB output.

When you are actually playing 10bit content, i.e. anything in HDR, then the console will automatically switch.
You don't have to set it to 10bit just because the panel is 10bit, they put the option in just incase there are any weird AV setups that can't accept an 8bit signal.

Likewise there is a 12bit option, but no 12bit panels.
Oh interesting, I've had mine set to 10 bit since getting the X900E, so I've been playing at 4:2:0 forever?? QQ

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Crackdown3 came out today and is Unreal4 an not 1440p
Sea of Thieves is Unreal 4....is 4K
Yeah all exclusives. Where AAA UE4 which can run in 4k native on the X are a rarety and 1440p the most common res used. Now if we want to discuss about the ethic about promote a machine as true 4k capable MS has been less honest compared to Sony in this camp, so feels outraging because they claim play gaming in 4k seems really a stretch to me. I don't understand what it's shocking if the cheaper and older counterpart can't produce the same result of the other. Should be always the case but sometimes it's not so complaining about it or celebrate it to the other side, it's kinda of ridiculous.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah all exclusives. Where AAA UE4 which can run in 4k native on the X are a rarety and 1440p the most common res used. Now if we want to discuss about the ethic about promote a machine as true 4k capable MS has been less honest compared to Sony in this camp. But it's not like sony didn't the same with the PS3. Still I don't understand what we need to celebrate if a more priced and modern hardware can produce significant leap in different cases compared is cheaper and older counterpart. Seems the normal evolution of the tech. Sound really fanboystic to me but people are free to do whatever they feel better.
Yep, some of the early HDR sets (Sony for example) couldn't do 422 and the reduced bandwidth of 420, probably eases the support that MS would need to try and provide for poor setups, incompatible receivers, cheap HDMi cables etc.

They patched in 422 is an option fairly early on, but it was optional.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Now if we want to discuss about the ethic about promote a machine as true 4k capable MS has been less honest compared to Sony in this camp.

Both Pro and X are advertised as 4K capable machines. The X hits that target or close to it in a huge number of games compared to the Pro.
Yet you think MS are the less honest ones about their machine being 4K capable?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Both Pro and X are advertised as 4K capable machines. The X hits that target or close to it in a huge number of games compared to the Pro.
At least Sony this time never pretended to say Pro as a 4k native hardware compared MS.

Nov 30, 2018

They have been dishonest for a while with the Xbox One S. They claimed it was 4K but were pretty sneaker with the way it was advertised and many of their advertisements were video games and "4K capable".

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Ehhhh. Yes they both advertise as 4k "capable", capable being the operative work as they both CAN do 4k. But Sony made a really big deal about checkerboarding, so far as to make it a central part of reveal. So it was 4k and checkerboarding when not possible. As opposed to Xbox which was lol 4k!! 4k!!!! DID WE MENTION 4K!?!? Xbox is all or nothing so it makes more.....interesting let's say when games don't hit 4k as opposed to Sony which is basically we do 4k when we can and when we can't we do checkerboarding and this is why it's actually quite impressive

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It's not a true 4k machine capable. But we can discuss at infinitum because it seems handle more game close to 4k has became native 4k hardware. Sony never said the Pro was 4k native capable in their conference.

You might want a word with the developers, not MS.
RDR2 is arguably the most technically impressive game this gen. On X it runs at native 4K, on Pro it is known for its disappointing visual quality.
The X is certainly a 4K capable machine.
To me it is Sony that should refrain from putting 4K on the box, particularly for games like RDR2.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You might want a word with the developers, not MS.
RDR2 is arguably the most technically impressive game this gen. On X it runs at native 4K, on Pro it is known for its disappointing visual quality.
The X is certainly a 4K capable machine.
To me it is Sony that should refrain from putting 4K on the box, particularly for games like RDR2.
Developers do what they can. If most of AAA can't be 4k just means the X had not the brute force there. Straight and simple. Sony is less honest because said gaming in 4k when they specifically claimed Pro can't, many and many times? I don't remind MS admit 4k is not always possible, in their conferences. But I mean, if you don't care of such attitude because you have the more powerful hardware, it's fine.

Last edited:

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
[QUOTE="Fastidioso, post: 17980250, member: 30511] Sony is less honest because said gaming in 4k when they specifically claimed Pro can't many and many times? I don't remind MS admit 4k is not always possible in their conferences.[/QUOTE]

Sony advertised RDR2 as 4K. The reaching here is incredible.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They reached the incredible because RDR2 is promote to play in a vague 4k but it's fine if a company talk of true 4k and most of games are not? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
ANY game can be 4k native...ANY...When will people realise this. RDR2 being 4k native on X is a technical marvel...The compromises to natively hit this figure are incredibly well hidden. If developers want to make their game as visually demanding as possible then sure, 4k native might be a stretch BUT, the same game with less visually demanding visuals?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
ANY game can be 4k native...ANY...When will people realise this. RDR2 being 4k native on X is a technical marvel...The compromises to natively hit this figure are incredibly well hidden. If developers want to make their game as visually demanding as possible then sure, 4k native might be a stretch BUT, the same game with less visually demanding visuals?
Just to say. I have both version. Performance and IQ are undoubtedly superior on the X. But lighting at lower buffer it's really more apparent compared the Pro as the dithering in the vegetation. And in game DOF is omitted or subtle compared the Pro too. Though it's a salvation considered how annoying is on the Pro.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
They reached the incredible because RDR2 is promote to play in a vague 4k but it's fine if a company talk of true 4k and most of games are not? I don't get it.

Let's try this. We have technically impressive third party games hovering around 4K on X, sometimes even achieving 4K, over on Pro these same games aren't getting anywhere close to native. Moving to first party, there are a bunch of native 4K games from MS, over on Pro I don't think there is a single one.

Only one of these machines has any right to call itself 4K capable, and it ain't the Pro.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So you dont have a problem with Sony doing that but you do find MS calling the X a 4K machine problematic?

You have an interesting standpoint and I think I will leave you to it.
Did Sony ever said Pro can render natively 4k? If in their promotion say gaming in 4k, they meaning it's 4k or maybe is referred to the TV setup? Now if MS label their machines as a true 4k machine how is it considered as the same of Sony promotion? It's really a stretch from my perspective.

Last edited:

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast

Well said.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
The peformance of base Ps4 and Pro are dissapointing. Going to wait until they further optimize it.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The peformance of base Ps4 and Pro are dissapointing. Going to wait until they further optimize it.
Literally. It's a fucking disaster. What shock me it seems to me they care more to deliver a more stable performance on the base xbox one than the other platforms, especially the sony platform. Why didn't use CBR on Pro or balanced more the other graphic setting to reach better fps on both ps4 sku? They just switch off the vsync and nothing more. What a disappointment.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It was a problem for the first two years or so if I remember right. Odd to see it come back with Crackdown 3 and Exodus. I wonder why it's returned.

I dont think black crush (contrast/gamma boosting ) was ever fixed at the system level. I remember asking if the X fixed it around its launch never got an answer, but I guess I do now

The issue the was fixed in the early XBone days was the sharpening filter

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Let's try this. We have technically impressive third party games hovering around 4K on X, sometimes even achieving 4K, over on Pro these same games aren't getting anywhere close to native. Moving to first party, there are a bunch of native 4K games from MS, over on Pro I don't think there is a single one.

Only one of these machines has any right to call itself 4K capable, and it ain't the Pro.
How would you do it, marketing wise?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It's been weird from the off, me and the guys from DF were comparing our captures and they had the black clipping and I did not.
What I have discovered is that the Xbox is always outputting full range RGB 0-255, even if you've picked standard (which should be 16-235)
I suspect that the game's output is adjusted in someway based upon the parameter and somewhere along the line this is going wrong.
I had the crushing in SDR a couple of times when I was testing, but after changing a few settings it went away, then it came back again and now it's totally gone. So I'm wondering if there is some cache somewhere that is clearing and affect the behavior.

There are a couple of fixes you can try if you are having the problems: if you are playing in 4K you can set the colour depth to 10 or 12 bit, which will actually force YUV output , which doesn't have the full/limited thing.

If you are playing in 1080p, then this won't happen and it it might be worth visiting your TV's black level /HDMI black point setting and see if changing the setting there rectifies it.

Otherwise I had pretty much changed every video setting imagineable on the console, done hard reboots and changed everything back, something rectified it, I just don't know what.

So if YUV is fine, then that would mean HDR is fine too right? Because it uses YUV I think.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So if YUV is fine, then that would mean HDR is fine too right? Because it uses YUV I think.

Yes exactly, which all kind of aligns with the HDR being ok.
The only issue is if you run at 1080p, where the console will always output RGB, as there is enough bandwidth to do so, even if you go to 10/12bit.
I think I would have spotted such a drastic change in all the other HDR games I play if it was suddenly affecting that too.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I dont know what black crush is exactly but I.. prefer the darker look on the x boxes?

Black crush is losing details that you would otherwise see in dark spots.

You liking it is how other people love "Dat Pop". Nothing wrong with people "preferring" it in my opinion but Black Crush and Dat Pop distorts what the natural or intended visuals should be

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
How would you do it, marketing wise?

I have no real problem with the way Pro is advertised, nor the X. Honestly, I don't see how else they could do it without making things tricky for themselves.
My issue was with Fastidioso's implication that MS' supposedly dishonest marketing of the X is more egregious than Sony's with the Pro.

Anyone buying a machine because they want 4K gaming has a clear choice. Two machines with a price difference which reflects their respective 4K capabilities.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
man, RT looks great. it really transforms the environments - making them look much less artificial and gamey. really hope the rumors are true about at least MS really looking to incorporate RT next gen

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

A moot point when neither platform plays most games in native 4k.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have been dishonest for a while with the Xbox One S. They claimed it was 4K but were pretty sneaker with the way it was advertised and many of their advertisements were video games and "4K capable".

They were the same way at launch with the XB1. At least Greenberg was. People understand more now than they did six years ago and with them pushing the X so hard, I doubt this would be in their best interest going forward.

You should probably go back and watch each respective reveal of the mid gen console. The Pro certainly was never pushed as a native 4K machine. The X was absolutely. And yes it performs much better in almost every game, no sane person would disagree with that statement. But misleading marketing around the Xbox One S is still shitty regardless of the performance of its sister console.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Feels like the game could definitely use patches on all consoles. Aside from the gamma issues, I wonder why 4A did not opt for proper (overall) dynamic resolution solution instead of adaptive v-sync on Pro which, given where it manifests, looks very distracting. On the X, aside from the lack of screen tear, dynamic resolution would definitely cut down on number of frame drops.

I know these devs have been pushing hard and end of generation means performance shortfalls on more ambitious titles are given but these are occurring on mid-gen upgrades, albeit with upgraded visual feature set, is disappointing.

If the trend of re-releasing games continues with next gen then presumably a 60fps version of Exodus might await players on XB2/PS5. If not, then at the least, BC will ensure that these games can be played at a virtually locked framerate.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
You should probably go back and watch each respective reveal of the mid gen console. The Pro certainly was never pushed as a native 4K machine. The X was absolutely. And yes it performs much better in almost every game, no sane person would disagree with that statement. But misleading marketing around the Xbox One S is still shitty regardless of the performance of its sister console.

The X was promoted as a machine would run everything in 4K native?
And why are we talking about the One S?

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is waaay too dark on my 1x. Where are the hdr settings??? All I found was a gamma slider which i cranked all the way up, but only the right most logo is barely visible...

Anyone else having this problem?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
People should take a step back and note that none of the 4K movies they are watching are actually 4K.
People get too hung up on this stuff, ultimately
Black crush is losing details that you would otherwise see in dark spots.

You liking it is how other people love "Dat Pop". Nothing wrong with people "preferring" it in my opinion but Black Crush and Dat Pop distorts what the natural or intended visuals should be

Unless the game intends it to look that way, there are a number of really common fashionable tone mappers that produce a very contrasty "poppy" image.
Developers are just as prone to building in "pop" as gamers are with poorly calibrated displays.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
User warned: Off-topic, system warring posts
To be blunt, 4k or not. Forza horizon is the only first party game that looks better than a first party Sony game of recent years. God of war and horizon do much more for the pro than anything first party Xbox has put out

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great to see developers actually make use of the XBX.

To be blunt, 4k or not. Forza horizon is the only first party game that looks better than a first party Sony game of recent years. God of war and horizon do much more for the pro than anything first party Xbox has put out

What a weird thing to include 'first party' in that.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I'd really like to know what fps X1X could hit at 1080p. Seems like it could do mid 50s since its hitting native 4k almost always. Maybe even reduce shadow quality slightly.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play this on pc but I think I'll grab this for my Xbox one x.

Unrelated: does anyone know if redux got the 4k treatment on x?