• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Other games and engines solved problem areas like this a long time ago with ambient occlusion and other lighting tricks. In this case GI is fixing a problem that shouldn't really be there.

But as i understand it, it needs manual work to make those solutions work, while when RTX system is being included ingame everything will be left to the system, no need to manually work to make some areas appear more realistic.

So, it won't just be more accurate and realistic, it will also be effective to save development time.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not sure about that, but anyway does TLOU2 have dynamic day and night and weather systems?

Does Metro have as good motion matching, facial animation, contextual melee animation etc..?

There is no point going down this route.. Different games striving for different things.

With regards to the video.. While this game looks absolutely gorgeous I really dont think it is a gen ahead at all. Technically ray tracing will be a big deal but nothing I saw in that video makes me think any less of how jaw dropping RDR2 or TLOU 2 look.

When real next gen consoles hit this will not look as good. There will be PC games that look far superior to this once next gen hits and the baseline performance gets raised.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Who said they were (game breaking)?

I just said the game isn't bowling me over the way it did DF.

And I didn't say that you did (though mentioning them implies that they are notable marks against the game for you). ^_^

I'm simply stating that every game has its lower points and this game's are hardly anything major.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
How do you know next gen games won't look like that?
There are fundamental limitations with rasterized lighting approaches, which is why everyone has wanted ray tracing for so long. Sure, with enough time and money you can get close - in some instances - to ray traced lighting. The point is you don't need to shlep all that off to artists and micro-manage each scene with ray tracing like you have to do with more traditional approaches. As DF's video shows, you get shadow casting, tone correction, materials behavoir - all change dynamically just based on where the ambient lighting is and the intensity.
And again I post that as an example of another technology that I find more exciting then raytracing.
And again I point out that it's largely meaningless when comparing it to an actual game that's out now. These technologies are ultimately exciting to everyone here in so much that they'll eventually be utilized in the games we play, if not we would all be discussing the latest SIGGRAPH conference presentation.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Other games and engines solved problem areas like this a long time ago with ambient occlusion and other lighting tricks. In this case GI is fixing a problem that shouldn't really be there.
As others have noted, it involves a lot of hacks setup on top of each other, requiring a lot of manual work to make it look correct.

Raytraced lighting systems should save a lot of manual labour, that is, once it is a universal solution that is employed by default.

That is a lot of work hours that could be employed elsewhere.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But as i understand it, it needs manual work to make those solutions work, while when RTX system is being included ingame everything will be left to the system, no need to manually work to make some areas appear more realistic.

So, it won't just accurate, it will also be effective to save development time.
I don't think it works like that at all. I mean RTX GI is just another tool at lighting artist's disposal. It's up to skill and talent to use that tool creatively. GI is accurate, doesn't mean it's automatic and effortless solution.

For example let's say you have a room and the only light source is the sun. You might think "well that's easy, I'll just plop a directional sun light and be done with it". But that's not really how it works. Artists can use 5, 10, 20 or more lights to light such a scene to achieve life-like results.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
True, but compare RDR2 to Ray traced games and the returns are greatly diminished, in comparison to my comparison.

Also I think uncharted 4 to TLOU2 is a greater improvement. Then turning on RTX in BF5, metro.

Returns are diminished, implying some sense of gains?

Raytacing is about accuracy the gain is about refinement not necessarily an amount.

Also RDR2 is employing many technicques to achieve a similar effect it should more look like the very thing its trying to emulate. Lets not forget that the very devs you mention had a pc title doing this as a mod.

Being blunt no to your Tlou2 improvement. Sometimes the improvements in games is about application and properly using the feature. PS4 has brung some great tech examples but those are very well done magic tricks. I think seeing quake 2 go from using software renderer or opengl to raytacing vulkan is vastly bigger than what you mention. If you can't see why then like other posters in the threading your missing the importantance of this tech. If you don't think it improves immensely you're missing the fundamental change it brings it's not necessarily fidelty or an increase in polygons. Lighting is on crack the closer you get to this tech whenever darkness matters or you have tons of dynamic lights at play.

Quake 2 and Metro leave no doubt what this does to any game that has it.

Lets just be snarky to make it clear at this point you I'd rather see uncharted 4 and Tlou2 with ray tracing where possible than in their current forms. I get to make this claim seeing as how Tlou2 is largely still in development and I don't see why the devs or sony would miss up next gen remastering it.

There are reasons to want the tech.

1. Artist don't have to waste as much time setting up the scene of the lighting.
2. Once the power is there most companies aren't wasting time on making exotic shaders to match it's lighting, they can spend any time on making the shaders or ensuring they don't kill performance and spend it elsewhere.
3. Can you show me a better form of lightning?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I guess the laptop makers are just expecting for people to use the native resolution (lately 4K has been rather common) and nothing lower, even though 1440p is a very useful resolution to have, since 4K is still too demanding in the more demanding games for most graphics cards (especially in laptops).
But at least it can still be forced, so all is good.

Yeah reading through that it does make sense I guess. Just funny to me as I've been strictly a laptop PC gamer, so everytime folks on here and elsewhere talk about 1440p I was always wondering what the heck it was lol.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it works like that at all. I mean RTX GI is just another tool at lighting artist's disposal. It's up to skill and talent to use that tool creatively. GI is accurate, doesn't mean it's automatic and effortless solution.

For example let's say you have a room and the only light source the sun. You might think "well that's easy, I'll just plop a directional sun light and be done with it". But that's not really how it works. Artists can use 5, 10, 20 or more lights to light such a scene to achieve life-like results.
No.

But at the moment you have a creative that has a vision of how things should be. They implement that, and then it breaks because of the raster limitations, then they either give up, or hack and hack, until it works.

It isn't systemic, which ultimately should be the workflow. You have things that are physicalized consistently, and not following arbitrary rules that you may or may not understand.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
So for some people tricks made to emulate light are better than actual simulation?
I find this truly amazing.

Feb 10, 2018
Returns are diminished, implying some sense of gains?

Raytacing is about accuracy the gain is about refinement not necessarily an amount.

Also RDR2 is employing many technicques to achieve a similar effect it should more look like the very thing its trying to emulate things. Lets not forget that the very devs you mention had a pc title doing this as a mod.

Being blunt no to your Tlou2 improvement. Sometimes the improvements in games is about application and properly using the feature. PS4 has brung some great tech examples but those are very well done magic tricks. I think seeing quake 2 go from using opengl to raytacing is vastly bigger than what you mention. If you can't see why then like other posters in the threading your missing the importantance of this tech. If you don't think it improves immensely you're missing the fundamental change it brings it's not necessarily fidelty or an increase in polygons.

Quake 2 and Metro leave no doubt what this does to any game that has it.

Lets just be snarky to make it clear at this point you I'd rather see uncharted 4 and Tlou2 with ray tracing where possible than in their current forms. I get to make this claim seeing as how Tlou2 is largely still in development and I don't see why the devs or sony would miss up next gen remastering it.

There are reasons to want the tech.

1. Artist don't have to waste as much time setting up the scene of the lighting.
2. Once the power is there most companies aren't wasting time on making exotic shaders to match it's lighting, they can spend any time on making the shaders or ensuring they don't kill performance and spend it elsewhere.
3. Can you show me a better form of lightning?

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I've made it clear that I'm talking about the improvement RTX has made so far in games, is not a huge leap.
Now people are welcome to disagree, but it is not a matter of a fact, weather something is a small or large visual improvement, it really is a matter of opinion.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I find it unbelievable that people can look at the first scene they showed with the barrels or that scene inside the room full of control panels in the desert with RTX and not be amazed. It's just a huge improvement.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
So for some people tricks made to emulate light are better than actual simulation?
I find this truly amazing.
I think the issue is that tricks can look good enough for a lot of people. My primary issue is that a lot of effort has been expended on getting those tricks to work as well as they do.

People should ask themselves, "how much effort was expended on getting the raytraced to work in this game?".

It is at best an ad-hoc implementation that hasn't been the core focus of most of the developer. They would be utterly foolish to devote most of their time for a niche. And yet it looks (for the most part) better than the raster implementation, which is no slouch itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Woooow, the comparisons are really impressive. Crazy how rasterised Metro Exodus goes from a great looking game to Dark Souls II when compared to the Ray Traced version.

Oct 27, 2017

For example let's say you have a room and the only light source the sun. You might think "well that's easy, I'll just plop a directional sun light and be done with it". But that's not really how it works. Artists can use 5, 10, 20 or more lights to light such a scene to achieve life-like results.

I'm no developer, i don't understand lots of this, but i read articles about developers saying raytracing will be useful in the future when it will be fully established to save development time. Why would developers lie?

I don't understand why there is some controversy surrounding RTX. I think it's great that we are finally at a point where raytracing is going to be included ingame in some measure. Consoles probably will have some of it, with PC being main raytracing platform, with experimenting and improvements.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I think the issue is that tricks can look good enough for a lot of people. My primary issue is that a lot of effort has been expended on getting those tricks to work as well as they do.
Tricks don't even remotely look close to the real deal for 90% ore more of the time, that's the fact that can't be ignored.
But I understand that's not important for everybody.
What I don't get is downplaying the far better tech.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm no developer, i don't understand lots of this, but i read articles about developers saying raytracing will be useful in the future when it will be fully established to save development time. Why would developers lie?

I don't understand why there is some controversy surrounding RTX. I think it's great that we are finally at a point where raytracing is going to be included ingame in some measure. Consoles probably will have some of it, with PC being main raytracing platform, with experimenting and improvements.
I think many developers don't have any experience with raytracing yet (unless they came from CG industry background beforehand) so they were just overly optimistic and excited about RTX. CG industry has been using raytracing for decades and there are plethora of tricks, hacks and tweaks needed to achieve reasonable render times. This is for pre-rendered stuff. In games all these tweaks will be even more prevalent because you have to do real time raytracing. This is why they had to use many tricks to get raytraced reflections going in BF5 and these reflections are still so very noisy, far from what I would consider acceptable

"It just works" heh not really, Nvidia oversold their product to developers. You still have to do all the work, probably more of it even.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I think the issue is that tricks can look good enough for a lot of people. My primary issue is that a lot of effort has been expended on getting those tricks to work as well as they do..
I've worked as a technical artist, not in anything resembling Triple-A, but still - doing these tricks takes a lot of effort and frustration, and many times you just can't reach the result you're looking for.
Also, this video does a great job showing the limits of these tricks, when placed side by side with RTX-on you can clearly see the extra details you get by the simulation.

Feb 10, 2018
There are fundamental limitations with rasterized lighting approaches, which is why everyone has wanted ray tracing for so long. Sure, with enough time and money you can get close - in some instances - to ray traced lighting. The point is you don't need to shlep all that off to artists and micro-manage each scene with ray tracing like you have to do with more traditional approaches. As DF's video shows, you get shadow casting, tone correction, materials behavoir - all change dynamically just based on where the ambient lighting is and the intensity.

And again I point out that it's largely meaningless when comparing it to an actual game that's out now. These technologies are ultimately exciting to everyone here in so much that they'll eventually be utilized in the games we play, if not we would all be discussing the latest SIGGRAPH conference presentation.

Also to clarify for the 10th time, I want Ray tracing I like Ray tracing, it is the best lighting tech out there, but in the implementations we have seen I don't think it increases the overall graphics any more so then other technologys like tessilation or shadow resolution.
Ray tracing is a great technology but I will never be that impressed by the sought of implementations we have seen so far.

And regarding your 2nd paragraph Why is it meaningless?
While the UE4 might not be a game, why are you applying that restriction to what graphical technologys we can be excited by?
It may not be in a game but its running real time in a game engine, so your complete dismissal of the tech is utterly bizarre.

And its not just that tech demo.
I find the lasts of us 2's animation tech more impressive then the RTX implementations.

Dec 15, 2017
I have seen it time and time again: A new feature is introduced in a PC game - Most in Era will state that is nothing major or that the 200 USD fixed spec machine of their choice looks "almost/just as good" - Said feature of the PC game in question is implemented in console game years down the line - Era rejoices and labels said technology as the second coming (The effect can be amplified several times if the feature in question is introduced in a first party game)

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We will see in the next few years. It's definitely exciting they are trying new graphics advancements. It can't all be Nvidia masterplan to sell more graphic cards, can it? I don't believe conspiracy theories.
RTX v2 or v3 will be amazing when it becomes mainstream and hardware can handle it easily. But until then, this transition period will be painful and full of ups and downs. Raytracing in games might not even take off unless console manufacturers adopt it in some capacity. Most developers will never bother with 2 versions of their games just for PC, they already have their hands full with all the different platforms.

I wonder if Nvidia is financing RTX integration in games, is there any info on that?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I've made it clear that I'm talking about the improvement RTX has made so far in games, is not a huge leap.
Now people are welcome to disagree, but it is not a matter of a fact, weather something is a small or large visual improvement, it really is a matter of opinion.

It could never possibly be a large leap is my point. it's visual value in improvement is and will be pretty moderate to small vs what it brings in complexity or potential. Devs or modders cleverness to make mechanics can also take on a new form as we aren't limited by the lesser complexities of older lighting models.

Resident Evil, Doom, and Splinter Cell well done in a ray tracing era would simply be sick.

Metro settled the debate before it debuted. If a meager nvidia tech demo didn't impress you I doubt anything will until we get console devs getting in on the tech will, which is an unknown currently though I'm hopeful just from microsoft and nvidia ambitions in this area.

PC aren't the market for displaying eyecandy that is console. What we are seeing is the typical windup cycle of some pc modders and devs exploit the tech. Literally since the crysis era we get maybe one or two titles while console devs with far less are able to keep and surpass in some areas what we are seeing from pc centric devs.

That's all either of us are sharing here is just opinions.

If Sony and Microsoft don't find a way to include Ray tracing on the next gen consoles, then it's safe to say that there will be a wide gap in graphics between PC and consoles.

I don't even see how with DXR that the next xbox doesn't have some hardware looking to enhance and combine with the features of the DX12 and DXR apis, MS can be criticized for botching some of their console design faulting them for not trying is a much different matter. DXR wasn't meant for current console and their hdr implemtnation or lack of kernel improvements in windows has taught me their baby is the xbox. Just being blunt with what we know about designing potent power machines consoles are about to enter an apex that pcs as a majority cannot touch. Next gen they will catch up to a lot of mid range gamers cpus who play on pc while having superior ram architecture, OS, and gpu features plus similar or more gpu power. The last time things were this lopsided was the PS2 gen.

Sony I can't peg mainly cause if they lock in console design and next xbox is strong enough at 1080p or even 4k30fps in this area MS will have serious silver bullet to offer devs right now who want eye candy. This next generation has seirous api and spec gains but ray tracing is seriously on the table if it can be done cheaply. If they launch in late 2020 or 2021 no reason they can't have cut down gpus with that a section for the tech added in some fashion. 7nm chips leave enough space for it

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Other than performance, having a few assets that are designed for the limitations of rasterization and look off with ray tracing will be the biggest challenge as the tech takes off.

Ray tracing in the end will be a huge time saver, but in the meantime having to work on two version will be a thing because the standard version will have elements that are achieving their look it in a way that doesn't produce the best results if you use these same assets with ray tracing.

Even with Ray tracing everything is still artificial and manually tweaked. For instance, in order to achieve a desired look in achitectural renderings I find myself tweaking the materials and lighting in unison. Something as simple as increasing the number of bounces to bring up the furniture colors more, and I may have to make white walls a tiny bit darker.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
Because you are using it as an example as to why the raytraced GI is 'not impressive' to you. You don't like the engines in Ferraris because you like that we went from riding on horses to using cars. It's a non sequitur.

No I'm just giving an example of what the level of improvement I find impressive.
I mean going from a Ford fiesta to a tesla model 3 is more impressive then going from a tesla model 3 to a tesla model S.

And if you have a problem with that then I'm sorry then thats your problem.
People are free to have different appreciations for different ranges of improvements.

Feb 10, 2018
This is why TLoU 2 comparisons are lost on me. Looks like UC 4.5 and game isn't out yet and people are using a choreographed demo as an argument against Exodus.

Argument against Exodus?

source.gif

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Not sure if anyone replied to you yet, but I'm currently playing with everything on Extreme and full GTX options enabled and it runs flawlessly on my 2080! I'm sticking to 1080p though, actually haven't ever tried 4K yet.

Edit: Bumped it up to 4K and Ultra on the raytracing (had to update windows thanks to another post) and I'm getting the same performance!
Sounds great, thanks.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it again I don't like at all how it works in the open areas.

Whereas in interiors it seems like the standard render doesn't have any form of ambient occlusion. And the raytracing pretty much is implemented as a form of shadowing/AO.

So again I'm not persuaded that very similar IQ couldn't be achieved with a standard render.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Other than performance, having a few assets that are designed for the limitations of rasterization and look off with ray tracing will be the biggest challenge as the tech takes off.

Ray tracing in the end will be a huge time saver, but in the meantime having to work on two version will be a thing because the standard version will have elements that are achieving their look it in a way that doesn't produce the best results if you use these same assets with ray tracing.

Even with Ray tracing everything is still artificial and manually tweaked. For instance, in order to achieve a desired look in achitectural renderings I find myself tweaking the materials and lighting in unison. Something as simple as increasing the number of bounces to bring up the furniture colors more, and I may have to make white walls a tiny bit darker.
This is true, but one of the reasons ray tracing is even possible in these small instances is because of things like material shaders, they're good in traditional lighting engines but they really take off with RTX.

But yes, as the devs said one of the reasons why you only see RTX being used for the ambient lighting outdoors is that having rays cast from the indoor lights screwed up the stealth gameplay. So there's a long way to go until games are designed for this from the outset, but at least we can catch a glimmer of it now.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I don't usually like gaming technology videos, but this was really good.
Other than the RT, which is the main point of course, I was surprised by how much impact tessellation had, both graphically and in terms of performance.

For example let's say you have a room and the only light source is the sun. You might think "well that's easy, I'll just plop a directional sun light and be done with it". But that's not really how it works.
With full realtime GI it is actually how it works though. For now, artists need to use multiple light sources (some of which might have nothing to do with real lights), ambient light hacks etc. to get a "realistic" look. Once realtime GI is the standard that's not necessary (at least for anything which goes for a photorealistic style).

Of course you can get something more efficient that looks good for one particular scene in one particular lighting setup. But that needs manual work, and it breaks down when you change the lighting conditions or introduce large-scale dynamic elements.
Having a single physically accurate realtime light propagation implementation requires less manual work, is fully adaptive to dynamic changes in the lighting environment and the scene, and ultimately achieves better results.

Photorealistic realtime rendering moved to PBR materials for a reason, and raytraced GI is to the current lighting/shadowing/obscurance implementations a bit like PBR is to having a multitude of task-specific surface shaders (like most games had in the PS360 era).

It will take a while for all of these things to come together and all advantages to fully materialize, but as this game shows you can already get extremely good results (I'd say industry-leading in realtime dynamic illumination) with hybrid approaches.

RTX v2 or v3 will be amazing when it becomes mainstream and hardware can handle it easily.
Why does it need to be mainstream or easy on hardware to be amazing?
It's not widely implemented, but I don't understand why you need to defer to future versions of it so much when we are in a thread about current RTX on current hardware providing amazing realtime GI results that massively improve on the lighting quality in a shipping large-scale game.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: “Lazy Devs” Rhetoric. Please review our FAQ.

So, it won't just be more accurate and realistic, it will also be effective to save development time.

Yes, in the end it's a form of lazyness that the end user pays. Like a lack of optimization can be compensated by buying better hardware.

AO doesn't need any "manual" solution. It's calculated at run time.

But pretty much all of raytracing here could be simulated with baked lighting. For example Assassin Creed's Unity I think matches pretty close to Metro WITH raytracing.

Numador

Oct 28, 2018
So..in case someone had a chance to try the PC and XBX version...after checking the DF videos i'm REALLY doubting which version to purchase... on one hand I could redeem an unused xbox prepaid card and get it a little bit cheaper than on the Epic store (and save myself from installing yet another client...), also the XBX version seems really well optimized; on the other hand, it seems like they didn't mangle the HDR implementation on pc or any other multiplat horror stories.

I have a GTX 1080, and a 7700k, I plan to play on non g-sync/freesync display at native 4k, but I guess I will only be able to push a mix of high/ultra locked at 30fps vs the (mostly) high settings without tessellation of the XBX version; apart from the tessellation difference (which. side by side in the video at least, it seemed quite noticeable), does ultra look much better than high, or is it like going from extreme to ultra?

I don't plan to upgrade my PC for at least a few more years, so RTX/Extreme presets will be out of my league for a long while.

Thanks!

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse for CGI in films, they use path tracing! Even lazier!

good lord

Want a more neutral term, call it budget optimization. It's lazy in the sense that the end user pays the bill, instead of the bill being paid before it gets to the user.

If Metro was raytracing only, then only a tiny fraction of the playerbase with the most powerful hardware could run it. The user pays the cost.

And when a game isn't well optimized, again it's the user paying that price, hardware requirements going up and so on.

It's lazy in the sense it's unloaded onto the user, not that the devs are "lazy" in a general sense.

And to complete what I think, and why I'm usually against this type of technological push, the reason is that we've got the best results when devs need to find clever solutions with the hardware they have. You can see how games evolve with long console cycles, where you can compare a game coming early at launch and another coming at the end of that cycle. They look like GENERATIONS apart.

Now we see the opposite, the more hardware progress the more it all looks like small side-steps. Instead of learning how to use the hardware that we have and squeeze that power... we just replace the hardware, and the resulting leap forward is even smaller. It's as if instead of learning how to code better I'd just download a more recent and optimized compiler, and let it do the work for me. We're offloading all development to engineers.

And this race is also creating a kind of unbalance, for example the big issues with Metro aren't in the rendering quality, but the braindead AI that barely worked in the tight spaces of the old games, and now it's completely incompetent with the bigger open spaces. These games get (marginally) prettier, but they fall apart in less conspicuous aspects but that are still fundamental for the quality of the game.

Last edited:

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
RTX v2 or v3 will be amazing when it becomes mainstream and hardware can handle it easily. But until then, this transition period will be painful and full of ups and downs. Raytracing in games might not even take off unless console manufacturers adopt it in some capacity. Most developers will never bother with 2 versions of their games just for PC, they already have their hands full with all the different platforms.

I wonder if Nvidia is financing RTX integration in games, is there any info on that?

Seems like they are going all in.

https://wccftech.com/unity-engine-might-announce-ray-tracing/

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
So..in case someone had a chance to try the PC and XBX version...after checking the DF videos i'm REALLY doubting which version to purchase... on one hand I could redeem an unused xbox prepaid card and get it a little bit cheaper than on the Epic store (and save myself from installing yet another client...), also the XBX version seems really well optimized; on the other hand, it seems like they didn't mangle the HDR implementation on pc or any other multiplat horror stories.

I have a GTX 1080, and a 7700k, I plan to play on non g-sync/freesync display at native 4k, but I guess I will only be able to push a mix of high/ultra locked at 30fps vs the (mostly) high settings without tessellation of the XBX version; apart from the tessellation difference (which. side by side in the video at least, it seemed quite noticeable), does ultra look much better than high, or is it like going from extreme to ultra?

I don't plan to upgrade my PC for at least a few more years, so RTX/Extreme presets will be out of my league for a long while.

Thanks!
I can't find a 1080/4k comparison, but here's a 1080 Ti at 4k with everything maxxed video. He gets anywhere from high 30's to low 50's in gameplay. Considering it's maxxed out at extreme, I would say high with tesselation+hairworks+physx at 4k at a 30fps lock should definitely be doable on a 1080.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Metro have as good motion matching, facial animation, contextual melee animation etc..?

There is no point going down this route.. Different games striving for different things.
Except we are discussing lightning model here, which is affected by dynamic time of day and weather, not by facial animations.

You can have the best lightning ever, like in AC Unity, if you prebake it and do not have dynamic time of day and weather.