• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

It's a meaty 19 min long video.

Running on the same engine as the recent Yakuza games, Judgement presents a beautiful, densely packed world to explore with loads of visual details around every corner. John checks out the game running on both PS4 and PS4 Pro to see how it holds up and determine whether it has improved over the most recent Yakuza titles. Enjoy this relaxed presentation with a nice cold beverage of your choice!

Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here: http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary of tech:

- Some limitations and performance issues but the game still feels more refined than previous Dragon Engine Yakuza games.
- Modern Rendering techniques allow for an impressive presentation.
- Judgement uses 2 different types of shadows: Standard Cascade and some sort of screen space shadow solutions (which can appear slightly glitchy at times).
- SSR also present in the Dragon Engine.
- Real time cloud shadow system present.
- Resolution of artwork in game is variable. Low resolution artwork can often can be seen.

- Base: 900p // Pro: 1080p. Both use temporal AA with subtle shimmering on edges when standing still.
- Slight blur on everything making it look soft on large 4K TV's.
- Character models and presentation are top-notch. Light and materials are praised.
- A lot of physics based objects in most areas which can be manipulated.
- GPU based particle system and a nice motion blur implementation present.

- The motorcycle arcade game offers smooth 60 FPS.
- VF5 version in Judgement is still 720p like Yakuza 6.
- Pinball is a port of a 2016 game based on the Unity engine.

- 30 FPS is the target for both OG and PS4.
- Pro maintains target during normal exploration, but base has minor hitching almost throughout.
- In certain real time cut-scenes both consoles struggle. But Pro is generally always a few frames ahead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Dragon engine getting the attention it deserves. Was hoping for the game to run a bit better especially on the pro. 1080p/60fps unless the engine can't do that which I doubt it

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
God I love Dragon Engine. Appreciate they polished some of the walking mechanics so the main character no longer walks into a restaurant and immediately destroys all the stools.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Don't have time to watch the video right now, but is there any mention of HDR support? Kamurocho at night seems like a perfect HDR showcase, so it'd be a real shame if the game didn't support it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to play the game. The store I bought the game from fucked up my order so I will have to find it somewhere else. Sadly there seems to be a shortage of copies.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Kiwami 2 is 60FPS on PC, so it is capable. The Pro just isn't strong enough.

I would say the engine is not capable.
900p/30fps (unstable) on the PS4 and 1080p/30fps on the PS4Pro is not a great achievement considering what the game is showing imho.
There's plenty of more graphically impressive and detailed games pushing 1080p/30fps and 1440p/30fps respectively at least, even excluding 60 fps out of the equation.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's 1080/30 even on Pro? That's surprising to me, it doesn't look that great to warrant that resolution. No HDR either makes it real easy to wait for a PC version.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching. Another great video by by dark1x and another purchase secured. I'm going to be sad when my gamers club runs out.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
- In certain real time cut-scenes both consoles struggle. But Pro is generally always a few frames ahead.

Ok so I wasn't going crazy when I noticed some awkward hitches in in-game cutscenes playing on Pro, while the actual gameplay was completely smooth.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I would say the engine is not capable.
900p/30fps (unstable) on the PS4 and 1080p/30fps on the PS4Pro is not a great achievement considering what the game is showing imho.
There's plenty of more graphically impressive and detailed games pushing 1080p/30fps and 1440p/30fps respectively at least, even excluding 60 fps out of the equation.
CS1 and CS2 should really just pool their resources on a joint company wide engine for nextgen. Custom engines from the Yakuza, Sonic and Valkyria/Miku teams (and each to mixed results) never made much sense imo but at least the last two have consolidated now.

I guess the arcade teams (AM1, AM2) work this way too and no, it doesn't make sense either.

Sep 28, 2018
Shimmering and jaggies are a pet hate of mine and as games look better and better it's having a kind of uncanny valley effect on me where I find it more noticeable. It's clearly not a concern for Japanese game developers but I so wish the Yakuza games could tackle it, it distracts me because the rest of the game is so damn beautiful to behold.

May 15, 2019
Nice to see a tech analysis of Judgment, but I'd really love to see DF take a look at the Kiwami 2 PC port. It's the only place we've seen the Dragon Engine running at 60 (or higher if you have a high refresh rate display) and there's definitely some quirks that come with that. Also curious how other aspects stack up with the PS4 version.

Dark1x Any chance you guys do a video on Kiwami 2 for PC?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
God I love Dragon Engine. Appreciate they polished some of the walking mechanics so the main character no longer walks into a restaurant and immediately destroys all the stools.

This was honestly the best part of the new engine and I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm OK with believing that Kiryu specifically is just incapable of not destroying every piece of furniture he brushes up against.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Great video as always, thinking about maybe picking this up. Only briefly played Kwami so as a Yakuza outsider would I be missing out a lot of context by buying this? I know it's a new cast of characters but are there s lot of links/references to previous games ?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
You can really tell that the Yakuza team is getting more comfortable with this engine. Their first go with the Dragon Engine, Yakuza 6, had some less than impressive performance and IQ on my base PS4.

Kiwami 2 felt like a lot of the performance issues were starting to be handled better, but still weren't great.

Judgment feels the smoothest performing (to me) so far. It also looks the best with some of the little additions they've made. I haven't yet tried Kiwami 2 on the PC but I might have to do that soon. Just thinking about seeing this engine in 60fps at 1080p native sounds nice right about now.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great video as always, thinking about maybe picking this up. Only briefly played Kwami so as a Yakuza outsider would I be missing out a lot of context by buying this? I know it's a new cast of characters but are there s lot of links/references to previous games ?
Nah, you're one hundred percent fine. There's hardly any connections to other games, and you won't find anything confusing as a result.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice video, I was already impressed to see SSR in Yakuza 0, but this is a whole new level. Looks amazing.

I like how fast the protagonist is, too. Even 0 in Heat Mode isn't that fluid.

I'll definitely miss the 60fps, though.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I thought pro uncharted was 1440p?
Or you just mean base console?

Yes, base console.

It's 1080p, but the TAA implementation is really refined. DF commented in their analysis that it gives off the look of a super-sampled image.

Thin edges are remarkably clean, shader aliasing is almost non-existent, and shimmering is all but eliminated. Large, complex fields of detailed foliage remain razor sharp even at a distance while finer details on Nate's weapons remain clearly visible.

Last edited:

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Great analysis, hope game lands on Steam soon (after Y6 of course!).
PS - and maybe Dictator will cover Kiwami 2 pc port someday =)

Last edited: