• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The fact that they got this running at a (mostly solid) 30fps with easily 4x the geometry of Doom 2016 is amazing. Sure the screen filters are gone and there are no master levels, but it's Doom Eternal on a mobile platform. The good far outweighs the bad.

Edit - I have been corrected, the Master Levels are in the game, I was misinformed by another site that they were removed for performance issues.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My initial impression on launch wasn't too positive as I had loads of performance issues in the first level but that seemed to have been a bug. Once I kept going, it was smooth sailing and I was incredibly impressed.

Panic Button are top shelf.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They go hand in hand. They've gotten over 100k new subs just since October, and this is the first Switch video they've done since then, so it's not a bad time to explain what these kind of comparisons are about in hopes of tamping down some of the incendiary rhetoric that will inevitably come from those who don't understand.
/shrug,

ME: being new sub isn't an excuse
YOU: they have a lot of new subs

ok.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
The fact that they got this running at a (mostly solid) 30fps with easily 4x the geometry of Doom 2016 is amazing. Sure the screen filters are gone and there are no master levels, but it's Doom Eternal on a mobile platform. The good far outweighs the bad.
There are master levels, we have Cultist Base and ARC Complex, but we're missing Super Gore Nest because the first DLC hasn't been released. About that, I hope they don't cancel the DLC. Not sure why do I get that impression but maybe it could happen.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
There are master levels, we have Cultist Base and ARC Complex, but we're missing Super Gore Nest because the first DLC hasn't been released. About that, I hope they don't cancel the DLC. Not sure why do I get that impression but maybe it could happen.

Ah thanks for the clarification, for some reason I was told the master levels wouldn't make it due to limitations. I'll correct my post.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
The resolution and the textures took a significant hit, as expected, but the fact that they were able to retain the geometry of the enemies and worlds while decently maintaining 30fps is very impressive.
Wow over 4x?! I know these games were pushing a lot of geometry, but I didn't realized that this new game was pushing that much more.
Do we have any stats in how many polygons Doom Eternal is pushing per frame?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The resolution and the textures took a significant hit, as expected, but the fact that they were able to retain the geometry of the enemies and worlds while decently maintaining 30fps is very impressive.
Wow over 4x?! I know these games were pushing a lot of geometry, but I didn't realized that this new game was pushing that much more.
Do we have any stats in how many polygons Doom Eternal is pushing per frame?

According to the DSOGaming, id Tech 7 can push up to ten times the geometric detail that iD Tech 6 could. Which is crazy to think about. My 4x figure was actually nowhere near in the ballpark, but I swear that's what was said in an older interview video.

Edit - Take a look at Digital Foundry's analysis, they got access to wireframes/tools iD used to make the game

Digital Foundry guesses 80-90 Million polys per frame in some cases.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
id Tech 7 is an amazing engine!
As John puts it, Doom Eternal for the Switch is the worst way to play it but it's also a huge technical accomplishment. You can separate the two while discussing this port.
Impressive...but why the hell would you settle for such an inferior version of the game?
Portability or lack of an option. Gyro is also a reason, makes it accessible for some. I would personally never trade the console (60fps and increased FOV) experience for portability.

Last edited:

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Impressive...but why the hell would you settle for such an inferior version of the game?
I'm playing 4k 144fps with a top of the line mouse and keyboard. i could say the same about every other "crap" console version around, but I know some people just prefer some convenience over fps and Switch is all about playing whenever and wherever you want.

But I guess you know that. So, we know why you wrote what you wrote.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
When I see some of these recent released games running on the Switch I wonder how many of them would be able to run on the 360/PS3 and how they would perform. The fact that those consoles were able to handle complex games like MGS V, Titanfall, Rise of the Tomb Raider and others while performing decently well still amazes me. I wish instead of having Fifa 25 five years from now releasing on PS4, we had GTA 6, even if it's made by an outsource developer and runs badly, just for the fun of it.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
According to the DSOGaming, id Tech 7 can push up to ten times the geometric detail that iD Tech 6 could. Which is crazy to think about. My 4x figure was actually nowhere near in the ballpark, but I swear that's what was said in an older interview video.

Edit - Take a look at Digital Foundry's analysis, they got access to wireframes/tools iD used to make the game

Oh wow! Thanks for the link to this. It's extremely impressive that even the base XB1 and PS4 can run this game as well as they do.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
When I see some of these recent released games running on the Switch I wonder how many of them would be able to run on the 360/PS3 and how they would perform. The fact that those consoles were able to handle complex games like MGS V, Titanfall, Rise of the Tomb Raider and others while performing decently well still amazes me. I wish instead of having Fifa 25 five years from now releasing on PS4, we had GTA 6, even if it's made by an outsource developer and runs badly, just for the fun of it.

none. those platforms struggled running dark souls 1 and skyrim.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
none. those platforms struggled running dark souls 1 and skyrim.
Skyrim was never the gold standard when it comes to performance, but you're right. I simply pointed the question out of curiosity, I know it would be almost impossible to make these games run on those consoles considering how outdated are the tools the developers would have to work with.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

That part is a bit misleading I think. I believe the intent was to get the point across that levels/areas are made up of 80-90 million polys. Right after that is mentioned, they go on to talk about the culling system which allows them to use such high poly counts. 80 million polys a frame would be 4.6 billion polys a second at 60 fps. I'm not sure how many gpus on the market today could pull that off, if any. PS4 and Xbox One definitely cannot (not even close).

Dec 2, 2020
Based on the reviews, suspected the analysis would give it a great score and this video affirms it.

One thing i found a little funny or sad, John had to hold the hands of the keyboard warriors explaining exactly his thinking on this going over it twice in one video for a platform that's been out nearly 4 years, the trolling for console warriors must be getting really bad for the guys at DF

I noticed the same in the Fallen Order video the other day. Very careful wording from John to avoid getting abuse on Twitter. Shameful from warriors...

Dec 2, 2020

Memory would be the reason a lot of games would be impossible on last gen. You're going from around 450megabytes of usable ram on PS360 to 3.5gigabytes of usable ram on Switch. Switch ram is also twice the speed although the 360 had an additional 10mb's of extra super fast eram.

The Switch gpu also supports the latest tools and engines until the now ancient gpu architectures of PS360.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
What would we say are the SwitchCraft games? Those who have pushed the boundaries and have no business being as good as they are on what's basically a mobile chipset from 2016?

Doom
Doom Eternal
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Still can't believe it's running at 60fps)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition

Any others?

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
Eternal specifically maybe could run on the PS360, but in a small box, running at 15-20 fps, like the classic DOOM ports for consoles. Just a funny thought
What would we say are the SwitchCraft games? Those who have pushed the boundaries and have no business being as good as they are on what's basically a mobile chipset from 2016?

Doom
Doom Eternal

Any others?
Hellblade if you exclude the fact that the cutscenes are represented in FMVs. It's a well implemented solution, though.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like how he found so many ways to not say "its good" without actually calling bad.

I also like they focused on fps in this release.

The port studio did good, bethesda has gone the extra mile, but no matter how you wrap it, this realease should not cost the same of the other version. Anyone paying $60 on it are getting riped and teared off, plain and simple.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

Doom
Doom Eternal

Any others?

xcom 2, divinity 2

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It looks good when it hasn't got the XB1X version running next to it. Thank goodness Metroid Prime 4 won't have that to contend with. I see fires here but everything is fine for that game to come out on Switch in 2022 or beyond.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Doom
Doom Eternal

Any others?

Mortal Kombat 11
Warframe
The Wolfenstein games

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed the same in the Fallen Order video the other day. Very careful wording from John to avoid getting abuse on Twitter. Shameful from warriors...

Honestly though, it's the worst part of the video. He re-explains it about 4 times during the video, and spends literally almost 4 minutes explaining it at the start of the video before even starting the analysis. It was getting a little over the top when I came in for an analysis. Obviously it's free content and I appreciate it, but the script in this one was almost full more of flame shield than actual analysis.

That being said, I've completed Doom, W2, and Wolfenstein Youngblood on the Switch, so I *was* tempted to pick this up on the Switch, but after playing the X1 version on Gamepass... I just didn't find the gameplay in this one fun. I might still pick it up on sale at somepoint and try to blast through it on easy with gyro controls for some mindless fun to try and support this conversion.

Heck, the chip was finished in 2014, with first retail products in 2015. Nvidia marketed it at the time as more powerful than an Xbox 360 and I remember thinking that was probably nonsense - especially after the fist Nvidia Shield TV games launched with wobbly framerates everywhere. Took a long while to prove itself!

I'd add Bulletstorm (best IQ of any shooter on the system) and Warframe (also done by Panic Button iirc?)

Last edited:

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Really impressive stuff from Panic Button and nice video as always from John. Regarding the cutscenes, I wonder if there was ever discussion about prerendering them à la the Switch port of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? Going for real-time but at 20fps is a bit of an odd choice, perhaps it was less time-consuming than FMV.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe

Doom
Doom Eternal

Any others?

Alien Isolation.
Metro Redux
Diablo 3 (60fps)
Dragon Ball Fighterz.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

First off both systems have 512mb of ram with the Ps3 hurting more because how bad the OS is.

And these systems uses GPUs from 2004-2006 and a lot of games can't even reach HD resolution

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
That part is a bit misleading I think. I believe the intent was to get the point across that levels/areas are made up of 80-90 million polys. Right after that is mentioned, they go on to talk about the culling system which allows them to use such high poly counts. 80 million polys a frame would be 4.6 billion polys a second at 60 fps. I'm not sure how many gpus on the market today could pull that off, if any. PS4 and Xbox One definitely cannot (not even close).

Oh ok. I checked out the math later and wondered if a few zeros was added. That's almost the 3x the max of what those systems can render if it was only doing that. I believe most PS4 and XB1 games would only clock in at a few million per frame, so it makes much more sense for that 80-90 million polygons stat to reference the entire area.

Apr 9, 2019
I kinda get the feeling years of weathering toxic fanboy conversation's getting to John a little - he's pre-emptively defending himself here. I feel sorry for him =( .

Educating new viewers to put analyses like this into perspective is a good thing. Still, hearing John say "this is the worst way to play Doom Eternal" hurts a little as it feels like he's adopting the toxic terminology a little. I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

Stating the obvious: for me, playing this on a big screen and traumatising my wife and kid with gruesome gore and violence is *definitely* the worst way to play! xD

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You always get some posts on threads like this asking "why settle for the inferior switch version".

This is on gamepass so I'll download on that but if it wasn't I would have no issue buying a switch version over xbox.

It looks like a very good port and for those that like the option of playing it more than justifies it's value.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Doom eternal is impressive, but I wouldn't say it's the most impressive port on the switch.

That title goes to ori and the will of the wisps running at 60fps. That's dedication right there.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Doom eternal is impressive, but I wouldn't say it's the most impressive port on the switch.

That title goes to ori and the will of the wisps running at 60fps. That's dedication right there.

Bit of a difference porting a high end FPS compared to a 2D game though. A lot more work would have gone into getting Doom Eternal across than Ori, which is basically the same game across both platforms.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Bit of a difference porting a high end FPS compared to a 2D game though. A lot more work would have gone into getting Doom Eternal across than Ori, which is basically the same game across both platforms.
I disagree, have you seen the df video about ori on the switch. They revamped their engine to get the switch version running at 60fps.

While the switch version of doom eternal is impressive, most of the work is just dialing down the resolution, textures, effects, and framerate to get it running at an acceptable level on the switch.

I would equate the switch version of doom eternal to running the pc version and setting everything to ultra low settings and then adding some switch specific features such as gyro and button prompts. I'm sure there's more work than that, but panic button didn't necessarily make drastic changes to the id tech 7 engine.

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I disagree, have you seen the df video about ori on the switch. They revamped their engine to get the switch version running at 60fps.

While the switch version of doom eternal is impressive, most of the work is just dialing down the resolution, textures, effects, and framerate to get it running at an acceptable level on the switch.

I would equate the switch version of doom eternal to running the pc version and setting everything to ultra low settings and then adding some switch specific features such as gyro and button prompts. I'm sure there's more work than that, but panic button didn't necessarily make drastic changes to the id tech 7 engine.

You couldn't be more wrong on this.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019

To be honest I can't comment on the porting process but if it was as easy as you made it out to be, we'd have more current gen (last gen now I guess) ports on the Switch. Both ports have been done well, with technical feats in their own way.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
id Tech 7 is an amazing engine!
As John puts it, Doom Eternal for the Switch is the worst way to play it but it's also a huge technical accomplishment. You can separate the two while discussing this port.

Portability or lack of an option. Gyro is also a reason, makes it accessible for some. I would personally never trade the console (60fps and increased FOV) experience for portability.
So you are basically saying that it is the worst way to play the game For you.

For others, either Gyro or portability can put it up to the best version.
I like how he found so many ways to not say "its good" without actually calling bad.

I also like they focused on fps in this release.

The port studio did good, bethesda has gone the extra mile, but no matter how you wrap it, this realease should not cost the same of the other version. Anyone paying $60 on it are getting riped and teared off, plain and simple.
Stupid take. People know what they are getting into by spending 60$ on the game, who are you to say they are ripped ? Value is subjective.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
To be honest I can't comment on the porting process but if it was as easy as you made it out to be, we'd have more current gen (last gen now I guess) ports on the Switch. Both ports have been done well, with technical feats in their own way.
I would love if panic button did a piece with df explaining the porting process ala ori.

Matterhorn

Feb 6, 2019
United States
Very happy to see DF back to their normal coverage. I was definitely getting PS5/XSX coverage fatigue. Would like to see an Immortals video across all consoles.

This video was great though.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Platform Warring
Stupid take. People know what they are getting into by spending 60$ on the game, who are you to say they are ripped ? Value is subjective.
So you support microtransactions, rigth? I mean, the value is rigth there for those who want, and nobody is forced to buy.
Why? People worked thir ass off developing this port.
Because you are paying for a lesser version of the game. Imagine you having to pay the same price for the mobile version of pubg and the pc version.

Also, do you really think the profit from this port is going for the developers instead of the publisher?

Jun 2, 2019
Because you are paying for a lesser version of the game.

Oh, come the fuck on, this is such a h4rc0r3 gamer mentality it's making me cringe.

I wonder if you feel the same about console versions of games with a PC port.

Also, do you really think the profit from this port is going for the developers instead of the publisher?

Probably not, the developers may have been already paid beforehand for the port, but i believe in honoring the developers' work

Last edited: