• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Sad to know that the PC version has some frame pacing issues and the consoles don't control as good as other fps.

Was going to get this on Switch but maybe I'll get it on PC now.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to call anyone out specifically, but the uncritical "thanks for the video" posts in the middle of a long discussion come off really tone deaf.

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would people really be happy with a disclaimer while the video stays as is giving amazing press to such obviously bigoted developers Voidpoint? It'd basically be "We know these developers are homophobic and transphobic shitheads, but here's why you should buy their game."

It seems like DF is in a position where their two options are either to pull the video while hopefully speaking out against Voidpoint or to move on without commenting. Without pressure on DF as a whole I'm guessing they will do the latter.

I agree that that would be the right thing to do, but at things stand right now, the video's being up is a tacit endorsment. If there was a disclaimer, at least there would be no confusion about that (although as you point out it would still give visibility to the game)

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to call anyone out specifically, but the uncritical "thanks for the video" posts in the middle of a long discussion come off really tone deaf.
Yes, thank you.

For all the talk about harassment against df, personally I feel the one being attacked by this sort of passive agressive behaviour. It's just a way of dismissing the discussion withou catching a ban.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'll say about a disclaimer before a video -- notice how many people ITT have associated DF Retro with John personally, as though he has all control and say over the channel? That goes both ways. I know John, and I know he's been harassed in the past in very ugly ways. I've personally seen it, people doxxing him and commenting on his visual appearance and all that in ways intended solely to cut and hurt. I honestly believe no matter what action they take, John is going to take the full force of the response personally, when he isn't the one who makes the calls. If a disclaimer were to pop up, I'd expect the alt-right crowd to take it out on John personally.

I think ultimately DF should do what's right, but I also know how scary that crowd can be.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, thank you.

For all the talk about harassment against df, personally I feel the one being attacked by this sort of passive agressive behaviour. It's just a way of dismissing the discussion withou catching a ban.
I wouldn't say as much. This is still a forum, and like it or not people will come in and out to post about what they first see of the OP before how the discussion ended up turning out and be done with it without having to engage in conversation. It doesn't necessarily mean they're being dismissive.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say as much. This is still a forum, and like it or not people will come in and out to post about what they first see of the OP before how the discussion ended up turning out and be done with it without having to engage in conversation. It doesn't necessarily mean they're being dismissive.

Maybe not dismissive, but certainly tone deaf. General platitudes don't really contribute much to the convo either way, IMO.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Then have a bit of balls and call me out.
What's uncritical in thanking for a video that informed me of the difficulties the port dev team had to go through to port a game to consoles which I found interesting?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then have a bit of balls and call me out.
What's uncritical in thanking for a video that informed me of the difficulties the port dev team had to go through to port a game to consoles which I found interesting?

You're not the only one doing it, hence why I didn't single you out. But ok, here it goes: you're being tone deaf. "thanks for the video" isn't critical thinking, it's a platitude. Cool that you like tech discussion, but read the room.

In all fairness that's literally like 70% of any discussion in a gaming forum that isn't about console wars.

If we're being honest, I abhor most of the conversation on this board for that reason, actually.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'll say about a disclaimer before a video -- notice how many people ITT have associated DF Retro with John personally, as though he has all control and say over the channel? That goes both ways. I know John, and I know he's been harassed in the past in very ugly ways. I've personally seen it, people doxxing him and commenting on his visual appearance and all that in ways intended solely to cut and hurt. I honestly believe no matter what action they take, John is going to take the full force of the response personally, when he isn't the one who makes the calls. If a disclaimer were to pop up, I'd expect the alt-right crowd to take it out on John personally.

I think ultimately DF should do what's right, but I also know how scary that crowd can be.

Ideally, the df and eurogamer crew would get together and decide to release a statement that the team as a whole does not endorse bigotry and hate, taking Dark1x and other individuals out of the spotlight as good as possible. Now there would definitely still be people directly attacking Dark1x, but it may soften the blow.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'd still say there's room both for this conversation and about the video itself, quite frankly. Not like I'll talk anymore about it though. I've said my piece.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, the df and eurogamer crew would get together and decide to release a statement that the team as a whole does not endorse bigotry and hate, taking Dark1x and other individuals out of the spotlight as good as possible. Now there would definitely still be people directly attacking Dark1x, but it may soften the blow.

I think a better mea culpa would be a donation to charity, personally. Saying your sorry is easier than acting upon it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
You're not the only one doing it, hence why I didn't single you out. But ok, here it goes: you're being tone deaf. "thanks for the video" isn't critical thinking, it's a platitude. Cool that you like tech discussion, but read the room.
It was a simple "thanks" to the author, not different from other in the past threads about DF video I've appreciated.
I repeat: why calling out other people for this?

As for the room, well it's a mess.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for the room, well it's a mess.

Well that's pretty much it: your post is "fuck the room." That's the problem I had with your post. You see why, you just don't care. So... k.

Getting upset when someone tells you that you're being tone deaf, while at the same time acknowledging you don't care about the current discussion (and thus are literally being deaf to the tone of the conversation) shouldn't be at all controversial. Yet here you are.

The way you've come out huffing and puffing at a statement I tried my hardest to soften indicates we're not going to have any fruitful conversation. So whatever.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Is this engine free to use or something?

I can't find an article on this one, but wanted to see why exactly they've chosen to use the engine. If its purely aesthetic surely everything available now can do the same thing?

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it can happen. I'm super, super active in the Sonic hacking scene, been a long time member for decades, yet just the other day, I saw this post from BlazeHedgehog in the "requested ports" sega topic:

I had no idea about this regarding Spark the Electric Jester. I'd even recommended the games prior on this board. And I say this as someone trashtabby can vouch for who has spent a lot of time arguing down awful people in the Sonic scene *coughLobotomycough*.

Sometimes, it just misses you. I won't ever recommend Spark the Electric Jester again. John pretty explicitly posted a few days ago that he's now aware of what's up with Ion Fury. I can understand why someone would believe he should have known prior, but the test should be to see how he reacts within his own power going forward.
While I can believe that John missed the shit the Ion Fury devs did, I don't think it's really comparable to finding out someone in the Sonic fangame scene is an asshole. The controversy around Ion Fury was something that was reported on by a lot of major gaming news outlets, and there's even a section on the game's wikipedia page about it. I don't get the idea LakeFeperd being an asshole ever really spread out much beyond the Sonic fangame community. You probably wouldn't find out about how LakeFeperd's known for being an asshole within those communities without being really active within them yourself.

Of course that doesn't mean John is lying about not having known about this. It's very easy for him to have missed this if he didn't actively follow the news around the game post-launch. Searching "Ion Fury" on Google no longer brings up until a few pages in either. But still, this isn't something that's comparable to the LakeFeperd stuff. That was inner community drama that never turned into something bigger, while this is something that was heavily reported on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this engine free to use or something?

I can't find an article on this one, but wanted to see why exactly they've chosen to use the engine. If its purely aesthetic surely everything available now can do the same thing?

The build engine is open source and free for commercial use these days.

Modern engines work entirely differently, hence why someone might want to use a retro engine. To make a modern engine work exactly like the build engine, you'd be essentially simulating the entire build engine in shader code (which is what modern ports of the engine do anyways). Modern game engines work very, very differently than old raycasted 2D engines underneath, down to the primitives of rasterization. Making a modern engine look like such an engine is a lot of work, when it'd just be easier to use a source port of the build engine in the first place.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Well that's pretty much it: your post is "fuck the room." That's the problem I had with your post. You see why, you just don't care. So... k.

Getting upset when someone tells you that you're being tone deaf, while at the same time acknowledging you don't care about the current discussion (and thus are literally being deaf to the tone of the conversation) shouldn't be at all controversial. Yet here you are.

The way you've come out huffing and puffing at a statement I tried my hardest to soften indicates we're not going to have any fruitful conversation. So whatever.
The only one who is making a drama out of a simple comment is you.
If you think my comment was derailing the thread then report me to the moderation team without calling out.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I can believe that John missed the shit the Ion Fury devs did, I don't think it's really comparable to finding out someone in the Sonic fangame scene is and asshole. The controversy around Ion Fury was something that was reported on by a lot of major gaming news outlets, and there's even a section on the game's wikipedia page about it. I don't get the idea LakeFeperd being an asshole ever really spread out much beyond the Sonic fangame community. You probably wouldn't find out about how LakeFeperd's known for being an asshole within those communities without being really active within them yourself.

Of course that doesn't mean John is lying about not having known about this. It's very easy for him to have missed this if he didn't actively follow the news around the game post-launch. Searching "Ion Fury" on Google no longer brings up until a few pages in either. But still, this isn't something that's comparable to the LakeFeperd stuff. That was inner community drama that never turned into something bigger, while this is something that was heavily reported on.

I didn't mean to imply they were the same level of scrutiny, more to comment on how someone's nose can be so close to a material yet miss an open secret like this. It was more a comment on my own blind spots, than how loud those controversies were. If Blaze knew about that, I probably should have known too. We talk to the same crowd.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I think it's a sad inevitability that pushing back against bigoted content is always going to incite the troglodytes, especially if you're a public figure as John is. And with the concerns now having been raised, if they do nothing, the alt-right will see this as a victory. Haha the SJWs tried to push their agenda and got BTFO

DF and Eurogamer should, if they're not already, look for ways to support John and the rest of their staff against potential harassment - the kind of harassment you describe, not the criticism some people on this board are describing as harassment. John's content is great, I totally get why he would be excited to discuss a game like this, and he doesn't deserve harassment. But I think we're past the point now where not taking a stand one way or the other is an option.

I think the suggestions above about a charity donation or DF and Eurogamer presenting a united front against bigotry to take and take some of the heat off John personally are pretty good.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a sad inevitability that pushing back against bigoted content is always going to incite the troglodytes, especially if you're a public figure as John is. And with the concerns now having been raised, if they do nothing, the alt-right will see this as a victory. Haha the SJWs tried to push their agenda and got BTFO

DF and Eurogamer should, if they're not already, look for ways to support John and the rest of their staff against potential harassment - the kind of harassment you describe, not the criticism some people on this board are describing as harassment. John's content is great, I totally get why he would be excited to discuss a game like this, and he doesn't deserve harassment. But I think we're past the point now where not taking a stand one way or the other is an option.

I think the suggestions above about a charity donation or DF and Eurogamer presenting a united front against bigotry to take and take some of the heat off John personally are pretty good.

I agree with everything you've posted. No matter how they react going forward, they're going to upset someone. At that point, I'd follow my heart and do what's right, personally, but that's easy for me to say when I know one group would harass you personally in dangerous ways while the other wouldn't. For all the talks of "harassment" in this topic, nobody is actually attempting to harm John.

Ultimately, I wish they just had never made this video. And I'm willing to bet 100% John is feeling the same way right now. I hope Eurogamer does right on them all somehow. For all the times I've seen John talk about, really, anything, he's never been afraid to admit he was misinformed or wrong or try to do right, so if he's being quiet right now, I'd have to believe there is a reason why. I truly don't believe he's a hateful person or one who wants to actively promote ugly rhetoric.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Eurogamer works like any other publications I've written for, it's not up to the editor to decide to insert or not such a disclaimer in their article/video. Contact Eurogamer to make them do something about it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Eurogamer works like any other publications I've written for, it's not up to the editor to decide to insert or not such a disclaimer in their article/video. Contact Eurogamer to make them do something about it.

Right, I did a video for them once, and wanted to make a correction, and never could get it to go through. Usually the people who make the content don't have control of how it's posted or can make changes after it goes up.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
For sure:
www.eurogamer.net

About Us

Bad puns and video games since 1999.

Can mention their article on it at the time:
The statement came after sexist and transphobic comments were made by staff in Ion Fury's official Discord. Later, homophobic language was found in Ion Fury itself. One room in the game, accessed using a noclip cheat, displayed the word "fagbag". Elsewhere, face wash bottles were found to include the homophobic slur "ogay" on their packaging.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can say this, also: John doesn't get to decide what he makes videos on, either. He can make suggestions about topics he'd like to cover, sure, but he gets video assignments. It's not him who decides what will or won't be a video. When I made a video for them, it wasn't John who got to say yes or no to me. Once he got the word from above him, well, he had to roll with it. It's his career. And it goes even further, he is told what subjects to cover in videos. Like the video I did for them, it was a supplemental video to a topic, because he was told his original video on said topic was only for a specific subject, and, even though my video was related, he wasn't allowed to deviate into other subjects on the same topic.

I get that, being posted on youtube, people might think things like DF are a small outlet like, say, LGR's videos, but they're really not. They're a wing of a major gaming outlet.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
If people are going to contact Eurogamer about putting a warning on their article you may as well contact IGN, PC Gamer, Destrucoid, Game Informer, etc too. They all have positive reviews up without any disclaimer.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's a good idea, but it's more effective if you do it via social media. Just do you it in a civil manner, the message can be conveyed without using an inflammatory tone or harassing the staff.
Not sure how we're going from reaching out to Eurogamer for comment to harassing the staff but yes, obviously be civil.

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The game does exactly what I assume it's supposed to do? take you back to a historic era of PC DOS gaming. Brings back memories of Doom, Doom 2, Hexen, Duke Nuke em etc. Very nice job capturing that essence and era of gaming. A simpler time when things just worked. Something to be said about these games and their straight forward nature.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Also duality of thread like this.

This thread started on premise of technical analysis of console port. Some people may want to discuss that even now that thread has another and lateral discussion going on.

Kinda what happens when mods allow threads to work like this. If you want this to be only about how outlets like Eurogamer should ethically handle coverage of titles like Ion Fury and its developers I would put in request that mod change thread to be just about it instead of this dual thing that is going on.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can say this, also: John doesn't get to decide what he makes videos on, either. He can make suggestions about topics he'd like to cover, sure, but he gets video assignments. It's not him who decides what will or won't be a video. When I made a video for them, it wasn't John who got to say yes or no to me. Once he got the word from above him, well, he had to roll with it. It's his career. And it goes even further, he is told what subjects to cover in videos. Like the video I did for them, it was a supplemental video to a topic, because he was told his original video on said topic was only for a specific subject, and, even though my video was related, he wasn't allowed to deviate into other subjects on the same topic.

I get that, being posted on youtube, people might think things like DF are a small outlet like, say, LGR's videos, but they're really not. They're a wing of a major gaming outlet.

I've appreciated your posts in this thread, which are a healthy reminder to express our criticisms at the right people/entities, and to not jump to conclusions as to what one individual can or can't do about the situation. Thanks. What makes it harder to not compare DF, and especially DF Retro to independent YouTubers like LGR is that DF Retro is a sub-brand of a sub-brand of Eurogamer, with only 4 visible faces (John being the most prominent one), and, AFAIK, DF Retro was always John's personal pet project at Eurogamer. It has all the markings of a "lone YouTuber" project (and a great one at that), without actually being one. That said, you're probably right that, even for DF Retro, John isn't completely free to handle things the way he wants.

Reading your posts and his last few messages only strengthened my impressions - and, admittedly, they're just impressions - that John himself shouldn't judged too harshly. As strange as it may sound that a long-time forum member might have been completely unaware of the controversy to this day, John is one of the few people I give the benefit of the doubt to. I believe him, and it seems like the overwhelming majority of people in here, even the harsher critics, believe the same thing. I hope we can somehow reach out to DF/Eurogamer so that they do something, anything, about this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've appreciated your posts in this thread, which are a healthy reminder to express our criticisms at the right people/entities, and to not jump to conclusions as to what one individual can or can't do about the situation. Thanks. What makes it harder to not compare DF, and especially DF Retro to independent YouTubers like LGR is that DF Retro is a sub-brand of a sub-brand of Eurogamer, with only 4 visible faces (John being the most prominent one), and, AFAIK, DF Retro was always John's personal pet project at Eurogamer. It has all the markings of a "lone YouTuber" project (and a great one at that), without actually being one. That said, you're probably right that, even for DF Retro, John isn't completely free to handle things the way he wants.

Reading your posts and his last few messages only strengthened my impressions - and, admittedly, they're just impressions - that John himself shouldn't judged too harshly. As strange as it may sound that a long-time forum member might have been completely unaware of the controversy to this day, John is one of the few people I give the benefit of the doubt to. I believe him, and it seems like the overwhelming majority of people in here, even the harsher critics, believe the same thing. I hope we can somehow reach out to DF/Eurogamer so that they do something, anything, about this.

Well just to further clarify, I don't want to give the impression that John has absolutely no say over DF retro. It is his baby, but his baby belongs to Eurogamer ultimately. I just wanted to make clear that the segment of the gaming world that went to bat for things like Ion Fury, that people have insinuated John is supportive of, have also been vicious to him in the past very frequently.

The truth is probably much more nuanced than any of us know, but given the history of John on this site and NeoGAF prior, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Again, this is his full time job, so it's probably much more complex than just "put up a disclaimer" on his part.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well just to further clarify, I don't want to give the impression that John has absolutely no say over DF retro. It is his baby, but his baby belongs to Eurogamer ultimately. I just wanted to make clear that the segment of the gaming world that went to bat for things like Ion Fury, that people have insinuated John is supportive of, have also been vicious to him in the past very frequently.

The truth is probably much more nuanced than any of us know, but given the history of John on this site and NeoGAF prior, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Again, this is his full time job, so it's probably much more complex than just "put up a disclaimer" on his part.

Right. Agreed.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Oh man. I know I've run into stuff like this in the past (with this same forum no less), and I went ahead and made changes to my article to reflect the reality of the situation — but, that was a tiny website.

DF is pretty big now, and adding the disclaimer will surely bring fire on John's head.

Tough decision.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very much appreciate DF's videos, but it's still nice to have a summary in these threads:

Resolutions:
PS4 Pro: 4K native
Xbox X: 4K native
Base consoles: 1080p
Switch: 1080p in both portable and docked. 1080p is downsampled to the 720p screen.

Framerate:
PS4 consoles: locked 60 FPS
Xbox consoles: locked 60 FPS
Switch: locked 30 FPS --unless you punch in the Konami code that unlocks the framerate!! Unlocked FPS ranges from low 40 FPS to 60 FPS.

Performance:
PS4: Slight stutter/hitching occurs due to a blip with the Build engine at certain intervals, impacting fluidity. A patch is coming.
Xbox: Same as PS4
Switch: The locked 30 FPS makes these hitches even worse, making it look like bad framepacing.

New Features:
Inverted aim option
Can you invert the Y-Axis on all platforms? Its a big deal-breaker for me if I can't invert Y.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigotry of the devs and in the game isn't brought up by Digital Foundry, btw. Sure, maybe they didn't know when they filmed this. But a disclaimer or content warning is not even in the description box after they were made aware of the bigotry in the other thread, maybe to inform the audience (who do care about bigotry and are personally affected) who might want to know before purchasing the game.
Thanks for this. Like another poster, I knew there was something negative that made me lose all interest in this game.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the video.

The Switch version having an unlocked framerate mode by using the Konami code and not being an option in the menu sounds pretty whack to me but also cool at the same time.

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kind of chuckled just now. While reading this thread I received a notification that Playstation just tweeted about the making of this game. Can only assume that there isn't a disclaimer there either.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the analysis on the frame rate issue, John.

I wrapped up the game on PS4 Pro despite all of the frame timing issues.

My biggest concern with performance was elsewhere. One was with corrupted data throughout an entire level that errored out any time I loaded up a save generated in the level. The other was with phantom inputs that would occasionally press R2 and fire my weapon on those timing calls (although not consistently occurring).

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Very much appreciate DF's videos, but it's still nice to have a summary in these threads:

Resolutions:
PS4 Pro: 4K native
Xbox X: 4K native
Base consoles: 1080p
Switch: 1080p in both portable and docked. 1080p is downsampled to the 720p screen.
Is this the first case we've seen on Switch of a 1080p image downsampled to 720p in handheld mode?

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
how often do you see a video for a cool looking video game and think "i like this, better do a quick search just to make sure some of the people who made it aren't Problematic"?

That is what can be so crazy about this place sometimes. Most people click on something interesting, view it or play it, leave it, and thats it. Not everyone does extensive background checks on everything they are interested in. IDK how Era doesn't understand that.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): inflammatory whataboutism and concern trolling over bigotry
Yes, thank you.

No, forcing people to discuss any one point of a discussion is wrong and doesn't mean that at all.

I said all my 2 cents on the patched out transphobic stuff when it happened. Personally I don't see a lot more to say about it. My opinion is do not destroy what is probably 90% decent people (especially the porters, but surely the entire company doesn't know about specific assets and hidden comments in a game!) for the bad seeds, and the bad company heads. It all eventually comes down to no ethical consumption under capitalism, but I think it's worse to punish a lot of people just to maybe hit a few that are actually bad.

So I think praise of Ion Fury is most ethical when not burdened with caveats.

additional point of perspective - at my company, the CEO is an unabashed Republican, and he says horrible stuff (Anti workers rights stuff) and expects people to laugh at it. I know one of my coworkers is a Republican and I know the majority are not. But if one of them did something horrible in secret, why should I be punished for that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.