• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Ion Fury pushes the ancient Build engine - powering classics like Duke Nukem 3D - to its very limits, but fundamentally, how difficult can a port to current-gen consoles be? The answer turns out to be more complex than you might think. John Linnemans checks out the PS4, Xbox One and Switch versions of the game, addresses the frame-rate concerns and goes in-depth on the surprisingly challenging process of delivering these console conversions.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Deadzones. One of the things that devs still can't get right most of the time after all these years. I already thought the game won't play as well because of this (also the speed of the game) on consoles. I also don't understand why a feature (gyro) makes in into one console (Switch) but not the other (PS4).

Makes me more excited to see the breakdowns/faceoffs of Wrath and Dusk when they come out.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
The bigotry of the devs and in the game isn't brought up by Digital Foundry, btw. Sure, maybe they didn't know when they filmed this. But a disclaimer or content warning is not even in the description box after they were made aware of the bigotry in the other thread, maybe to inform the audience (who do care about bigotry and are personally affected) who might want to know before purchasing the game.
Thanks, I had something about this game in the back of my head, didn't know what exactly though. Just knew it was a bad memory. So thanks for bringing it up.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered the Switch physical version on 3DRealm's website.

Good to know about the Contra Code unlocking the framerate on Switch, very good to know, thanks John!

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic video once again by Dark1x . I find specially interesting the videos on all these new retro-style games.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I've tested the Konami code to switch to the 60fps mode on Switch, it works quite well! Doesn't change the game too much, but it's nice to have the choice.

That said, am I the only one having issue with the gyro on Switch? It's not really smooth like can be DOOM 2016 or Fortnite on Switch, and it only registers straight motion, and not small adjustments. I'm playing without gyro because it doesn't work very well, but haven't seen complain about it on the internet, so maybe I'm the only one? :/

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The bigotry of the devs and in the game isn't brought up by Digital Foundry, btw. Sure, maybe they didn't know when they filmed this. But a disclaimer or content warning is not even in the description box after they were made aware of the bigotry in the other thread, maybe to inform the audience (who do care about bigotry and are personally affected) who might want to know before purchasing the game.

That... is a REAL shame. John said he's eager to check in with the game after the update goes live addressing the stutter, so I truly hope he actually acknowledges this in the new video now that he's aware of this stuff.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this video, I keep meaning to buy Ion Fury but have been busy with school and work. I'll probably get it this Steam sale and enjoy it, since I've enjoyed most of the other 90s throwback FPS recently.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That... is a REAL shame. John said he's eager to check in with the game after the update goes live addressing the stutter, so I truly hope he actually acknowledges this in the new video now that he's aware of this stuff.

It's not really his job though is it? He's a tech reviewer.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

It's not his job to be decent and arm people who, just like him in the other thread, might have somehow missed this information and may have preferred to know it beforehand in a video like this that may encourage them to check the game out? Okay.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
It's not his job to be decent and arm people who, just like him in the other thread, might have somehow missed this information and may have preferred to know it beforehand in a video like this that may encourage them to check the game out? Okay.

Well, no. It's not. He's looking at the game from a tech perspective. It's not a review or buyers guide.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Well, no. It's not. He's looking at the game from a tech perspective. It's not a review or buyers guide.

It's literally a video showing you how the game performs on platforms people might be interested in purchasing it on. Do you honestly think everybody watching this is simply doing so because they're interested in how the Build Engine runs on modern consoles? Of course people will decide a purchase after watching something like this. It's just being responsible. That's all there is to it.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

His job is to analyze the game, its engine and its technical behavior between each of the consoles, not the parts of the dev team's bigotry.

The attacks against John are useless and only will drive away a great contributor to the community.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The stuff with the bigotry by the devs came out so long ago now and we know that dark is aware of it that if it's not addressed in the video, it's because he doesn't want to.

Which is his decision, but let's at least be honest about it.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The attacks against John are useless and only will drive away a great contributor to the community.

I'm attacking no-one, please stop with the hyperbole. Implying someone informing the public about the troubled history of this game as being decent is not raising pitchforks or mud-slinging.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, I keep trying to remember if DF ever addressed that sort of content in their videos, whether good or bad, and I honestly can't say they ever did. It's a channel heavily focused on technology, and I struggle to think how John should approach the subject. Would a "While I do love the game, I do not support the developer's stances on the LGBT+ community, and people interested in buying this game should be aware of some offensive content in it. Follow the link in the description to get the full story" suffice?

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
You don't have to input the Konami Code each time you boot up the Switch version to unlock the frame rate, do you?

There's no bad stuff coming from the porting team, is there? Since John is focusing predominantly on the challenges of porting an ancient engine to consoles that those developers were tasked with, and not the Ion Fury's original devs. That said, it is tone deaf of them to not include a disclaimer at the beginning of the video addressing the controversy behind the original devs.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
His job is to analyze the game, its engine and its technical behavior between each of the consoles, not the parts of the dev team's bigotry.

If you check the other thread he has already been run out of the forum, which is a damn shame.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Would a "While I do love the game, I do not support the developer's stances on the LGBT+ community, and people interested in buying this game should be aware of some offensive content in it. Follow the link in the description to get the full story" suffice?

I mean... that's it, really. That's all it need be.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I mean he still could have said something in the description that he wasn't aware of the bigotry and that he does not endorse these views. I'm kinda disappointed, but i hope he will take this into consideration when covering any of their future games. Dark is a good guy and i love their content.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm attacking no-one, please stop with the hyperbole. Implying someone informing the public about the troubled history of this game as being decent is not raising pitchforks or mud-slinging.
You literally implied that he's not a decent person and purposefully disinform people so that they check out a video game for which parts of the authors hold bigotted views.

If that's not an attack, tell me what this is.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The stuff with the bigotry by the devs came out so long ago now and we know that dark is aware of it that if it's not addressed in the video, it's because he doesn't want to.

Which is his decision, but let's at least be honest about it.
No. The video was done and finished by that point. Beyond that, this is about General Arcade - the porting company. This is the final video on this game.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe I forgot about that shit and I almost bought the game.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop treating DF with kids gloves please just because they post here? This thread and the last people have used words like shaming and attack to describe literally 2 or 3 posts that said they were disappointed.

You realize it just comes off as trying to silence criticism right since it's defending someone from the mildest possible language you could get on this forum. It becomes clear you just don't want people talking about this.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
You literally implied that he's not a decent person and purposefully disinform people so that they check out a video game for which parts of the authors hold bigotted views.

I said it was a shame he couldn't put something in this video but hopefully the next one will contain something. Where am I accusing him of "disinformation?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can we stop treating DF with kids gloves please just because they post here? This thread and the last people have used words like shaming and attack to describe literally 2 or 3 posts that said they were disappointed.

You realize it just comes off as trying to silence criticism right since it's defending someone from the mildest possible language you could get on this forum. It becomes clear you just don't want people talking about this.
yeah, this forum has a pretty bad double standard when it comes to people who post here or who are known to read posts

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
If you check the other thread he has already been run out of the forum, which is a damn shame.
He wasn't "run out of the forum". Geez.

He didn't know about the developer's viewpoints and what they believe in. When he looked into it, he didn't know what to do.

People told him that since he put a lot of work into the video, that he should still upload it. The only thing people requested is to put some sort of disclaimer. That's all.

People looking to buy games will look at reviews and look at videos talking about the tech to see how it performs.

He can most definitely still love the game and the tech that powers it. No one is saying he can't.

The issue was that people should know that while the game is great from a tech standpoint, the developers shouldn't be profiting from said game.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
User Banned (3 Months): Equating hate speech with political views; account in junior phase
Their job is not politics, leave them be.

They criticize games, not people.

BTW, I don't agree with the developers, or their stupid opinions, that being said, I don't think we should enforce everyone to adopt our politics or view of political/social affairs. Even if Digital foundry doesn't care about it, they should not be forced to. Not criticizing something does not necessarily mean they endorse it.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

This! I love Dark and Digital Foundry, but that doesn't mean they are immune from criticism.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my love for old school FPSs and DF may cloud the better of my judgement, so I'll play it wise and steer out.

Cheers.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
No. The video was done and finished by that point. Beyond that, this is about General Arcade - the porting company. This is the final video on this game.
Ok but you also used the game in your best of last year video, so that's two videos you've made covering the game now past the point we know the developers are bigots and you didn't address it in either of them.

Also whether it's about the porting company or not it's still promoting the game and purchases of it are going to put money into the pockets of bigots, and you have to know that. People should know who they are supporting with this game.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

BTW, I don't agree with the developers, or their stupid opinions, that being said, I don't think we should enforce everyone to adopt our politics or view of political/social affairs. Even if Digital foundry doesn't care about it, they should not be forced to. Not criticizing something does not necessarily mean they endorse it.

It's always just "politics" for you folks lmao.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Ok but you also used the game in your best of last year video, so that's two videos you've made covering the game now past the point we know the developers are bigots and you didn't address it in either of them.

Also whether it's about the porting company or not it's still promoting the game and purchases of it are going to put money into the pockets of bigots, and you have to know that. People should know who they are supporting with this game.
He just found out about their viewpoints not that long ago. Chill.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Being a bigot, sexist homophobe is not fucking "politics".

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

What kind of language would you suggest be used?

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great video Dark1x. Will wait for next weeks patch before booting it up on Pro. Excited to jump in and thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.