• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not all media cabinets are closed.
...right, which is why I recommended multiple times that people just get new media cabinets to accommodate the trend of hotter, more power-hungry consoles.

If you see this post and feel the urge to reply, just assume that you missed something and let it go. Because you did.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
...right, which is why I recommended multiple times that people just get new media cabinets to accommodate the trend of hotter, more power-hungry consoles.

If you see this post and feel the urge to reply, just assume that you missed something and let it go. Because you did.

Seriously? This is the first post you replied to:
Yeah the size complaints kinda baffle me...you can lay the thing down.
To which you said:
You could... but I wouldn't. This machine was clearly designed around the fact that hot air naturally wants to rise.
I guess I missed the imaginary talk of closed media cabinets in those 2 posts.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I missed the imaginary talk of closed media cabinets in those 2 posts.
Clearly you did, yeah. Read the full post (I chopped the relevant bit in my quote to keep things clean) and also the post that the person was replying to initially. The discussion was about fitting the Series X console into media cabinets that can fit A/V receivers. Do try to keep up. If you quote me again I'm just putting you on ignore.

Deleted member 64241

User requested account closure
Mar 2, 2020
Earth
YMNBtdU.jpg

The white XSX looks really classy!
Very nice!

I custom built my setup last year, I thought I made enough room for the new console but was I very surprised by the design. There's no way I can stand it upright, I'll have to lay it down so the air vents face out away from the wall.

wM0mNkC.jpg

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If Ms are gonna keep using AA batteries for their controllers they should be at least cheaper right? It always boggled me how the controllers are all the same price range but one with no battery should be cheaper.
Sony puts oa really cheap and small battery on ds4, I don't think that makes much of a difference in the manufacturing price.
The XSX's design is much like Apple's 2013 Mac Pro in its cooling solution. Eg the "Chimney" airflow cooling approach.

2013-06-1112-13-13.jpg

There have been PC cases with a similar design though, eg the OSMI mini ITX PC case, which uses the same principle of sucking in air from the bottom (and side), but also pushing air out through the top, but obviously it has to use off the shelf parts and hence has greater airflow limitations.

In that sense the XSX's take is considerably more elegant and efficient than the OSMI's, and would probably get far better cooling results.

2808673-a.jpg

LEO_1361.jpg

Tbh, using the DS4 as the go to comparative is not a good idea, because the DS4's battery life is poor comparative to other internal battery controllers, eg the Switch Pro and Xbox Elite controllers. I'm confident the XSX's controller will have far better battery life than the DS4, thus mitigating such issues and making the choice to go internal even better.
Quite interesting that this design has been done before. After they described it I was wondering why no one thought of that before because it looked a very effective way to reduce the box size compared to a pc tower and still solve the cooling problem. Guess like always, if it seems something is good enough that people would have done it already than it has XD

But yeah due the nature of pc unless it's a custom made design like that Apple one it would be impossible, which is a limitation Ms does not have.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly you did, yeah. Read the full post (I chopped the relevant bit in my quote to keep things clean) and also the post that the person was replying to initially. The discussion was about fitting the Series X console into media cabinets that can fit A/V receivers. Do try to keep up. If you quote me again I'm just putting you on ignore.

Ok

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you can flat out say "well if it fits an AV receiver it will fit your Xbox"

because in my post here I addressed that although the receiver fits perfectly, all of its venting is through the top.
The vast majority of receivers are okay unless they are completely closed in, consoles aren't.

I built my own entertainment center and I made the cubbies 17" wide, 16" deep & 10" tall.

HWU6hQw.jpg

I am a bit worried that only 2.5" on each side horizontally might not be enough for this bad boy

3i0me6Fl.jpg

My receiver fits literally within a 1/16 on each side horizontally, but it has over 4" on top and behind it, and it doesnt get hot.

But my future Series X 12" console in a 17" wide cabinet only has 2.5" on either side for heat, that is a bit worrisome since it seems to only dispel it from the "top"

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
why wouldn't it fit on the middle shelf?

Or on the floor like his, I'm assuming, subwoofer. It has a base so there is still room for air to come in from the bottom even on a carpet. Plus there are holes on the back.
My receiver fits literally within a 1/16 on each side horizontally, but it has over 4" on top and behind it, and it doesnt get hot.

But my future Series X 12" console in a 17" wide cabinet only has 2.5" on either side for heat, that is a bit worrisome since it seems to only dispel it from the "top"
It can sit on the base and intake air from the bottom which means you can have it all the way to one side which leaves 5 inches of space at the top (or side in this case) in your example. It will be fine.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
It can sit on the base and intake air from the bottom which means you can have it all the way to one side which leaves 5 inches of space at the top (or side in this case) in your example. It will be fine.

Thats a fair point, I dont think I would like that aesthetically, but yeah it might by my best option

I honestly wish we could turn down the brightness of the Xbox logo light, because at night I put something in front of it because its so damn noticeable in the pitch black

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently there are XSX skins available for pre-order:
www.xtremeskins.co.uk

Xbox Series X Skins and Wraps | Custom Console Skins | XtremeSkins

Take console gaming to the next level with your very own customised Xbox Series X. Protect your new console from dust and surface scratches with the UK's best Xbox Series X skins. Style it your way today!
There are some nice colours available besides white as well.
I'd love a green camo one as I know it would annoy the fuck out the misses

Jan 21, 2019
Man I love that Microsoft went for this design. It's so damn bold for a box that people have been putting under their TV's for decades to take such a shape. I love when form follows function and Microsoft went all out. More of that please!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Thats a fair point, I dont think I would like that aesthetically, but yeah it might by my best option

I agree with you, my OCD will make sure it centered lol, but even still I don't think only having a couple inches gap to each side is going to be an issue. MS isn't expecting everyone to have perfect cooling conditions and would have tested it in such scenarios. You should be fine as long as you have open air around the top vent.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, my OCD will make sure it centered lol, but even still I don't think only having a couple inches gap to each side is going to be an issue. MS isn't expecting everyone to have perfect cooling conditions and would have tested it in such scenarios. You should be fine as long as you have open air around the top vent.
giphy.gif

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Just to dredge up old 1 page ago wounds, Sony DID fly DF out to do a preview event. They showed them everything Mark Cerny was going to talk about at their GDC replacement event. No filming, but they gave a sneak peak and all that. When Sony shows up, they'll have all the attention they need. Narrative is a slow ship to turn, and contrary to popular belief, I strongly disagree with the idea that a few good games or services or hardware are what define it. At the end of the day, MS has to do everything right, and I honestly think they have been.

Good engineering decisions and I will be perfectly happy to have this sitting on top of my media center, next to the TV and wifi and smart speaker that all look vaguely of similar design. Not really that bothered XD

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's chemically impossible for your PS controllers to have no decay.

How many hours of playtime can you get on your PS controllers before you have to recharge? How does that compare with swapping eneloop AAs once every 30 hrs of play.

There's no way internal batteries offer a higher QoL.
I dont think you can flat out say "well if it fits an AV receiver it will fit your Xbox"

because in my post here I addressed that although the receiver fits perfectly, all of its venting is through the top.
The vast majority of receivers are okay unless they are completely closed in, consoles aren't.

have the console top vent face outwards when laid flat.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are using more sophisticated dual rumble motors that the Dual Shock 4 does not have, so maybe that would be an equalizer?

The dualshock 4 also has gyros and a touchpad and a big light. It's not a cost issue for MS.

No, rechargeable batteries are cheap and last forever. I bought a bunch of Amazon made rechargeables and use them all the time in my controllers, kids toys, remote controls, etc...

Wow, sounds like the kind of thing that could easily be included in the price of the controller, than! I have a wireless, rechargeable mouse from Logitech. It just has an enloop inside. Why do we expect less from MS?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Would placing this on top of a Sub-Woofer be fine you think? I just don't know if the constant thump of a sub-woofer would cause any issue with the system. I have 2 Sub's with my Atmos set up and placing it on top of one of them would actually look really good, but just not sure if putting it on top of one would be safe.

Also, when you see the unit in someone's hands, it does look a lot smaller than what i thought it was..even though we had the dimensions.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I believe the main SSD (internal) is part of the mother board. The expansion port is just for that, expansion.

I do wonder when we will get 2tb or 4tb expansions?

Likely when they get cheap enough to make sense and/or when the exclusive period ends with Seagate. There's going to be a lot of pressure to get these cheap where people can bulk store on much cheaper external USB drives. It's very different then the Vita situation.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Man this console is a beast, super impressed by it....can't wait for it!

Looking forward to what else they have for launch besides Infinite...

The MS hardware team are wizards...

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of the form factor for practical reasons.

But if the console delivers on the games and power ends, I'll manage.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of interest why is there so much coverage of XBox Series X on Digital Foundry compared with PS5?

I would have thought there would be more on PS5 seeing as the specs were just released?

It just appears that there is so much more coverage of the Xbox Series X on DF.

Because Microsoft invited DF to see their box in detail and theres a lot to go through. Plus Microsoft actually want to talk about their box

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just out of interest why is there so much coverage of XBox Series X on Digital Foundry compared with PS5?

I would have thought there would be more on PS5 seeing as the specs were just released?

It just appears that there is so much more coverage of the Xbox Series X on DF.

They have more information and more assets, therefore more content.
Microsoft showed more, so there is more to talk about.
I'm sure Ps5 will have it's time when they get to speak to Sony engineers too

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I custom built my setup last year, I thought I made enough room for the new console but was I very surprised by the design. There's no way I can stand it upright, I'll have to lay it down so the air vents face out away from the wall.

wM0mNkC.jpg
Love what I assume are custom sides on those shelves. Wouldn't it fit vertically on the center shelf? Hard to eyeball exactly from the angle (and I am spatially hopeless), but it looks like there's 12 inches between the shelf and the sound bar. Don't know how they are attached, but could the center one be lowered by an inch or two if needed?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Like I said, connecting a desktop tower to my TV has always been an option I have chosen to reject due to aesthetics.

Small form factor PCs are a thing and there are more case options than ever. It's certainly not cheap as the cases, mITX motherboards and SFX power supplies are expensive but there are several cases with aesthetics similar to consoles or AV receivers and about the same size too.

Here are the brand new Sliger Console and Conswole cases next to an Xbox.

CL_XBOX.jpg

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Small form factor PCs are a thing and there are more case options than ever. It's certainly not cheap as the cases, mITX motherboards and SFX power supplies are expensive but there are several cases with aesthetics similar to consoles or AV receivers and about the same size too.

CL_XBOX.jpg
I didn't say I haven't been tempted though! I tend to go for gaming laptops for the portable factor, but I have given serious thought to connecting a mini tower to my TV. With Microsoft porting everything to PC, PC game pass, plus my Steam library, it's really tempting.

Why not just turn it horizontally, so your cable ports face the wall?
I could do that, but it'll cover some of the sound bar and that will drive me nuts :/

Love what I assume are custom sides on those shelves. Wouldn't it fit vertically on the center shelf? Hard to eyeball exactly from the angle (and I am spatially hopeless), but it looks like there's 12 inches between the shelf and the sound bar. Don't know how they are attached, but could the center one be lowered by an inch or two if needed?

Thanks, ya I cut the gears of war lancer sides on my plasma table :)

It could totally fit on the middle shelf, but I run my laptop there for streaming and playing the odd steam game. My right shelf fits just over my subwoofer so I can't lower it (or the left shelf, must be same height). I figured and alternative it's just not what I wanted, see the above quote.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I could do that, but it'll cover some of the sound bar and that will drive me nuts :/

Thanks, ya I cut the gears of war lancer sides on my plasma table :)

It could totally fit on the middle shelf, but I run my laptop there for streaming and playing the odd steam game. My right shelf fits just over my subwoofer so I can't lower it (or the left shelf, must be same height). I figured and alternative it's just not what I wanted, see the above quote.

Really? How much clearance is there between your current Xbox and the sound bar?

I totally get not wanting to have the soundbar covered, but if I had to choose between that and having all the cables exposed, I'd have to block the bar a little bit.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

CL_XBOX.jpg
Nice

Really? How much clearance is there between your current Xbox and the sound bar?

I totally get not wanting to have the soundbar covered, but if I had to choose between that and having all the cables exposed, I'd have to block the bar a little bit.

It's 4-7/8" from shelf to bottom of the sound bar, so the new Xbox will stick above the sound bar about an inch.

Now that you bring up the cord situation I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Choosing between cord exposure or sound bar covering is gonna be tough

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
You can put it on its side.
That white xox looks great, just make the vent grey, for that 360 look.