• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
These videos from Digital Foundry have been absolutely stellar! I also gotta commend MS for all those in-depth presentations and on-hands experiences they offered to DF and others. There's so much good b-roll footage used in these videos that give you good visual to follow and keep you engaged. Things like the small airflow animations are much appreciated.

And yeh, that's one damn great design. I do wonder about dust issues, too, but ultimately, there's only so much you can do without further impeding the airflow. I suppose some mechanism that would close the top off when the box is off, would be neat. But not sure how feasible that would be and it's always another point of failure. As long as one can easily blow the majority of dust out every so often, it should be fine.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder about dust issues, too, but ultimately, there's only so much you can do without further impeding the airflow. I suppose some mechanism that would close the top off when the box is off, would be neat. But not sure how feasible that would be and it's always another point of failure. As long as one can easily blow the majority of dust out every so often, it should be fine.
I think it's a bigger problem that it'll be like a vaccuum cleaner at the bottom than that some dust will fall inside at the top.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bigger problem that it'll be like a vaccuum cleaner at the bottom than that some dust will fall inside at the top.

Basically depends on how often the respective XSX is on/off. If I had one I'd certainly consider putting a cover on top if I knew it wouldn't be used for a while. Best just sth light that would get blown away in case I forgot :>

Wonder if dust filters for the bottom case intake could be worthwhile.

Really, though, I feel like sth basic like that has been considered by these engineers more than well enough.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I find the fan design pretty interesting. It looks like lotus petals. Quite different from most PC casefans, probably due to the depth/thickness.

Still think it's a real shame Microsoft didn't add gyro to the controller this time around either.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I love the way this console comes together. It's such a elegant yet somehow simple construction. It looks as if anyone could put it together with some clear instructions. I'd order a DiY XsX kit in a heartbeat if it somehow saves me 50 bucks (i'd probably order it even if it wouldn't).

The only thing I was wondering is if it comes with a dust filter. The holes on the top are so big that dust will have no trouble whatsoever getting into the console. Ofcourse the airflow will prevent dust from coming in once the console is running but once it's off dust will have free reign.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely stellar video from DF!
This is the kind of coverage that is cementing me sticking with just a Series X this gen.

Also, I went ahead and finally checked to see if the damn thing will actually fit on my TV Stand.... whew! barely and it's going behind the TV, lol

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I initially thought this whole thing was a cableless assembly like the new Mac Pro but then I noticed the ports in this video. Now I am curious how it looks with cables in place.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These videos from Digital Foundry have been absolutely stellar! I also gotta commend MS for all those in-depth presentations and on-hands experiences they offered to DF and others. There's so much good b-roll footage used in these videos that give you good visual to follow and keep you engaged. Things like the small airflow animations are much appreciated.

And yeh, that's one damn great design. I do wonder about dust issues, too, but ultimately, there's only so much you can do without further impeding the airflow. I suppose some mechanism that would close the top off when the box is off, would be neat. But not sure how feasible that would be and it's always another point of failure. As long as one can easily blow the majority of dust out every so often, it should be fine.

MS knew they had something that would praise because it's tech beast, very smart move to get DF promoting their tech for free essentially by giving them all this access. It's got me hyped lol

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watching now.

I have to say though, whilst the XSX may be an excellent feat of engineering, I hate the form factor and size, and find it to be decidedly impractical. Infact I'm sure there's going to be countless people out there with entertainment cabinets like mine, that can't even fit the XSX in, even lying on its side. So yes, it's cool they've achieved what the have, but its come at a cost in both aesthetics and accessibility.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it says right there it's multi voltage, 100-240V, 50/60Hz. Though I don't know if you'll need to import it to begin with.
For me it's important, since I'm often between Brazil and Italy. But most PSUs these days are multi-voltage and multi-frequency, including my One X, so I wasn't worried.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Good to see all my camera work go to use in this one! We filmed a ton of stuff.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
My Xbox and PS4 sit on the side of my tv on a ledge of the entertainment center. This will fit even easier. Such a small footprint.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This shows the size of the box nicely

annotation2020-03-2823ekuh.png

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I saw some of the cables and interconnects. They're mostly carefully snakes around the sides of the case.

Ahh nice. Mostly flat cables I assume? Anything of note or all pretty normal?

? You'd just put in a power cable and an HDMI, is it that hard to imagine? I guess I'm just confused at the question.

Interested to see how the South and Northbridge connect etc. Also cable management for everything else. Its pretty important for air flow but also how easy it is to replace parts etc,

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Just out of interest why is there so much coverage of XBox Series X on Digital Foundry compared with PS5?

I would have thought there would be more on PS5 seeing as the specs were just released?

It just appears that there is so much more coverage of the Xbox Series X on DF.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just out of interest why is there so much coverage of XBox Series X on Digital Foundry compared with PS5?

I would have thought there would be more on PS5 seeing as the specs were just released?

Because they have more to talk about.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
For somebody who is thinking about placing the XSX horizontally, I wonder if you can remove the circular base.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Only so much you can do with a Cerny PR event for Devs. MS has shown the hardware and how things work. DF are bound to get more videos out of actual information on physical hardware,

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

Lol seriously? Microsoft has the physical machine, controller specs and all the interals out and visible. Wtf has Sony showed?

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

I would assume it's because of how transparent Microsoft has been with specs and hands on with the console itself. It's easy to make informative videos when you actually have material to work with.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Whats there to talk about on the PS5 side?
Everything we know about it was basically covered in that one cerny talk.
Which DF already did a video about.

MS have a ton of information out there so that means theres alot to dissect.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Intrigued to see PS5's form factor. With those clocks it's going to need similar or maybe even stronger cooling than XSX. On one hand I can't imagine Sony moving away from the horizontal form factor, but on the other I'd imagine they'll have learned from criticism this gen that they need to ensure they don't have another jet engine.

You mean aluminium.
I wager that with those clocks it's gonna need some revolutionary shit for the thing to not sound like it's about to lift off into space.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Basically depends on how often the respective XSX is on/off. If I had one I'd certainly consider putting a cover on top if I knew it wouldn't be used for a while. Best just sth light that would get blown away in case I forgot :>

Wonder if dust filters for the bottom case intake could be worthwhile.

Really, though, I feel like sth basic like that has been considered by these engineers more than well enough.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to cover the top when I'm not using the system, though I guess I'm used to doing that now thanks to the Switch also having a vent on the top.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

If Sony provided this level of access, there'd be a lot more to talk about. Alas, that's not even really possible right now given what's happening in the world.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019

Seems to me like MS sees value in debuting through Digital Foundry and Sony through Cerny. Both make sense to me, MS doesn't have an engineer with the same fan base profile as Cerny and the 1X DF previews were a big boon to the system and great traffic for DF.