• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Richard had a chance to go to Poland last year to talk with the engine developers of Infinity Ward, and how Modern Warfare's engine has managed to scale to things like Ground War and Warzone.

I'm watching it now, but it's super cool to hear about this kind of tech, Infinity Ward did an outstanding job, given how the COD engine always had that "Quake engine" stamp all over its head up until this gen.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting video, especially the LOD stuff. Makes sense the game is so damn big if they have to have multiple LODs for stuff.

Will be interesting to see this running on Series X and PS5.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this video, always makes me realize how damn intelligent engine developers are. You really have to think outside the box to achieve good performance.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the most interesting thing about this engine will be seeing it run without the cpu and storage bottleneck

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I'm watching, it's interesting. But this type of video could have come out at the time that Warzone released, it would make more sense, but good video regardless.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So the reason MW is so big is because of the battle royale mode that I don't play and can't uninstall? Fuck!
Changes/upgrades etc done to the base game translate to BR mode and vice-versa. If they can compress the various parts to make them work more efficiently, then that would reduce for both, Who knows how they plan to do it.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty incredible what they've done with 150 players on a gigantic map. The new engine is such a huge step up for the CoD franchise.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If what IW said last week is true, they're going to allow per-mode installs, so you can uninstall the campaign, or the MP or Warzone separately.

You can already uninstall the multiplayer, survival, spec ops right now. You also have the option to not install the campaign but if you already have it installed, there's no way yet to uninstall it but to delete the entire game and reinstall without the campaign. Warzone cannot be uninstalled.

Do you have a link to where IW mentioned that?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a technical marvel considering how good it looks while running as good as it does. The consistency in visuals across all modes is really something and the unified approach to the code is special as well. Super apparent when you compare it to a game like PUBG or even Blackout from last year.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Warzone doesn't get enough credit for making a map that big run so well while still looking so good.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So the reason MW is so big is because of the battle royale mode that I don't play and can't uninstall? Fuck!
The game still needs those shader data even when playing normal multiplayer. The maps in multiplayer/coop don't exist in vacuum separately on their own, they are essentially chunks of the large map that exist in warzone. So any changes made to that part of the map in warzone translates to multiplayer/coop and vice versa.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
You can already uninstall the multiplayer, survival, spec ops right now. You also have the option to not install the campaign but if you already have it installed, there's no way yet to uninstall it but to delete the entire game and reinstall without the campaign. Warzone cannot be uninstalled.

Do you have a link to where IW mentioned that?
Sorry, I was wrong, they said it for PC which doesn't have a package manager.

This is what console users can do at the moment though: https://support.activision.com/modern-warfare/articles/removing-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-dlc

ActiveRush

Oct 27, 2017
IW's technical team is top notch. The performance, sound design, and visual presentation of MW is excellent. Its just too bad that I don't enjoy their philosophy on gameplay.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game still needs those shader data even when playing normal multiplayer. The maps in multiplayer don't exist in vacuum separately on their own, they are essentially chunks of the map that exist in warzone. So any changes made to that part of the map in warzone translates to multiplayer and vice versa.

Some maps yes I think. Warzone launched later by the way.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Some maps yes I think. Warzone launched later by the way.
The map existed in the game since the game released way before warzone launched...that's where spec ops missions take place.

The only thing that didn't exist were the gameplay elements like gas, loot, and close up detail in the connecting areas between the chunks of maps.

And it's not some maps, almost all the maps in the game that were around at launch can be found in warzone except for the maps that came after launch and maybe duel maps, but even some duel maps are in warzone.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is briefly, it's shader data apparently, but it looks like it's an endemic problem on how they have to patch the whole game (meaning, a lot of assets) to change one thing on only one of the modes.
The video suggests its Shader data for the map, since it has to keep everything, including the insides of buildings which are still very detailed.
Must help a lot with performance, especially on console. It's a really good looking game. I can imagine Valve took similar approaches with Half-Life: Alyx which is crazy performative for VR.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget walking into IW and seeing Warzone for the first time. "Wait, did you just say 150 players? And we dropping this for free? I gotta sit down."

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
I'm glad they worked out a lot of the weird things I experienced (framerate dropping 30% consistently and staying there, framerate tanking when zooming in, weird stuff like that).

I just wish the game wasn't so huge. :<

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
The game seems like an absolute technical achievement, yet I still can't figure out why the game on my PC is literred with shimmering objects and jaggies but nobody else has this problem.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The game seems like an absolute technical achievement, yet I still can't figure out why the game on my PC is literred with shimmering objects and jaggies but nobody else has this problem.
It might have to do with your anti-aliasing setting. If you aren't using the temporal anti-aliasing the game looks very shimmery.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Warzone is the first real MP I've played in maybe six years, and I've been having a blast on it with my old college buddies. Will be watching this later for sure.

The pop-in is pretty noticeable on Xbox One X, can't wait to see what next-gen consoles can do to improve it.

Jun 17, 2018
I'll watch this later, still trying to download the bloody update on PC but downloads through Blizzard are absolutely painful! 1.83mbps on a 150mbps connection!

Oct 27, 2017
I realized from the first moment I started the game there is some serious black magic going on on under the hood to make it look this good and simultaneously make it run so ridiculuously fast.

That said one thing that irritates me to this day is the quite noticeable pop in that happens in each mode that they seemingly can't fix.