• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch. Worse than I could have ever imagined, particularly for a game as revered as this one. :(

On a more positive note, I'm so happy with the job done on Death Stranding!

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Glad I didn't pre-order, but some of this feels like bug territory though and not some underlying fault in the engine. Stuff like the game launching in 1080p when it's 4K in the settings, the 33ms stutters, low performance areas, etc. Optimization on the NVIDIA side will clearly improve with future driver revisions, which will make good performance at 4K more achievable. If the 1060 is performing that badly against a 580, it's clear the 2080 Ti isn't working as optimally as it could.

Oct 28, 2017
fuck. I just bought from CDKeys and redeemed on Steam like 30 minutes before this thread was made. FUCK. Best I can do is hope for some patching down the road somewhere and I guess I'll let it sit in my library until then.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, If I can't get 1440/60 on Ultra, I'm not doulbe-dipping. Gonna buy Frozen Wilds on PS4 I guess.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
A huge bummer, after enjoying death stranding at a rock solid 4k 60, i was really looking forward to enjoying this at its full potential but no matter how much i tweak it, it still somehow manages to took worse than the ps4 pro version when i try to run it at any kind of stable 60 fps.

Death stranding makes it painfully clear this isn't an issue with the engine, this is just a bad port, hopefully they can fix it but man they have a long way to go if this was the best they could manage at launch.

Last edited:

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame. Death Stranding's port is great while this lacks. Hopefully they patch out these issues soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent video but also an unfortunate demonstration of why I don't game on PC often.

When everything works, it's great. Easily better than the console experience.

When you hit some weird issue like Alex did with ePcie bandwidth it causes a lot of frustration. A gtx 1060 should easily outperform a base ps4 so when you see something like this on a game that is built for consoles first it's extremely frustrating.

I'm not blaming the developers or the port house. This stuff isn't easy. Death Stranding always had an eye on releasing a PC version - Horizon didn't.

I hope the issues demonstrated in this video can be fixed. I'd love to play Horizon at greater than 30fps.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony doesn't have incentive for PC to be the definitive version of their games. The whole point is to get these folks to buy a PlayStation and with sub par ports that's exactly what they may do.

If they want to release their games on PC, Sony has an incentive to release a game people will actually buy though, which doesn't have to be versions of the game that far surpass their console versions.

The idea that they'd release poor quality ports as some sort of deliberate strategy to push people towards buying a PlayStation is a complete fantasy. That'd be a massive waste of time and effort for Sony. Poor quality PC ports isn't going to increase the chances of anyone buying a PlayStation.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Kojima is an artiste there is no way he would be willing to have his studio port someone else's game when there is Art to be made

KojiPro has a conjoined relationship with Guerrilla and works on Decima in collaboration with them. They have a satellite team in the Netherlands just for that.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I wonder if it's because of covid and working on HZD 2, so that they could not put more time into it?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if it's because of covid and working on HZD 2, so that they could not put more time into it?
HZD PC port was just lowest of low priorities for sony, so they either cheaped out, there was lack of communication or not enough time in the oven. Probably all of the above

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah, If I can't get 1440/60 on Ultra, I'm not doulbe-dipping. Gonna buy Frozen Wilds on PS4 I guess.

Ultra doesn't seem to mean much here, extremely minor visual improvements in some places and straight out degrades in another parts.

I hope it can be modded at least.

There isn't even simple decal mods for DS.

If this port is anything like that then it seems like games are very locked down, modding could be out of question.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Foliage looked animated at inferior FPS even in the official PC trailer.
When the video proudly announced "Dynamic foliage" the foreground was filled with that crap (also affected by weird collisions).
What a fail.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
HZD PC port was just lowest of low priorities for sony, so they either cheaped out, there was lack of communication or not enough time in the oven. Probably all of the above
It's crazy because you can see with Death Stranding how good the engine can perform on PC

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Excellent video but also an unfortunate demonstration of why I don't game on PC often.

When everything works, it's great. Easily better than the console experience.

When you hit some weird issue like Alex did with ePcie bandwidth it causes a lot of frustration. A gtx 1060 should easily outperform a base ps4 so when you see something like this on a game that is built for consoles first it's extremely frustrating.

I'm not blaming the developers or the port house. This stuff isn't easy. Death Stranding always had an eye on releasing a PC version - Horizon didn't.

I hope the issues demonstrated in this video can be fixed. I'd love to play Horizon at greater than 30fps.

These are no different than the issues console games often have with evben keeping 30 fPS though. Like I can count in one hand the bad ports to PC, while console games with performance issues are a plenty.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe reading a bit too much into it. But besides that one Playstation blogpost, the Playstation social media account have barely mentioned this port. Only Guerrilla.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Steam reviews for this should be interesting.
Can't wait for the review bomb thread.
For real tho
tenor.gif
lmao

Oct 28, 2017
Have watched the entire video now.

Title of this thread is very misleading in the sense that it's actually worse than disappointing.

Once you get into the details and see the massive amount of screwups, some of which are inexplicable, you'll see that this port is far beyond disappointing. It's atrocious. There's like..no good excuse for it to be this bad on high end hardware. I really hope Sony addresses this soon.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Maybe reading a bit too much into it. But besides that one Playstation blogpost, the Playstation social media account have barely mentioned this port. Only Guerrilla.
Well, it has nothing to do with the PlayStation ecosystem and I wouldn't expect them to do much PR work on this front. I think the bigger problem here is that Sony thought they can get away with the port done by the decade old standards of just putting it together so it somehow works.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Incredibly disappointing. After seeing how well Death Stranding ran, was expecting HZD to at least run well, but wow I was wrong. Feels like this was tossed aside and Sony doesn't even care, Guerrilla was the only one promoting this. Makes me worried about future PC ports, maybe sales will change their mind.

Hope this gets fixed real soon, it's really unacceptable this was botched as much as it is. If they knew it was this bad, they should have delayed it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth in 2020 are we still locking animation to fucking framerate?
Heavens above why?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly so surprising to me, given how great a job GG did on the original PS4 version. To have it actually run less smoothly than PS4 because of the stuttering issues is just really unfortunate. I know some issues like the 30fps facial animations in some cases (or all? hard to tell) probably can't be fixed, but if they can at least get a clean 60fps running then at least the port wouldn't be so bad, I think?

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
i was hype. extra super hype. but if i have to play the game at PS4 settings, i might as well play it on PS4.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was planning to purchase the PC version next year or before HFW, just hope that the major issues are fixed by that time.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
One thing for sure, people that were claiming that Sony is doing this port to prove Decima Engine scalability and performance in order to license it as a multi platform engine are wrong.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The new grass animations that were advertised in the PC feature trailer as a significant upgrade over the console version is locked to 30fps?
I'd laugh, but this is too sad.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just hope it dont turn Sony away from more ports, we know what they tend to do when shit dont work out for them.

if this is the quality I can expect, they can just quit now lol

pretty much everything outside of Bloodborne I really don't give that much of a shit about

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
So a quick recommendation for folks. Make sure to turn down volumetric settings like clouds before you do a benchmark like this. Clouds are an incredibly expensive effect, and the ultra settings are not worth it for the cost. The algorithms are designed around consoles first, and don't work great on PC. It's a very complicated problem (and a component of my research!).

Clouds on Ultra are very demanding.
lpr5AIn.png

The image above is great for showing that Medium is just as good as Ultra. The actual difference in the lighting simulation is hard to see visually because the technique combines multiples frames of information and reuses data from previous frames rather than recomputing. This makes the actual noise in the light scattering simulation hard to see.

Keep it at Medium, we don't have hardware good enough for "Ultra" real-time volumetrics yet, and whether we even need to compute that much is a complicated question in and of itself. :)

Kinda frustrated that some folks just set everything at High/Ultra and benchmark it from there. If I add a setting that dramatically decreases frame rate for a minor visual effect, what's the problem? You shouldn't just set it to High across the board.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Well I've gone from "definitely getting it at 50% off" to "maybe I'll get it when it's super super cheap"

Still haven't played the DLC since I haven't touched the game since launch. Might just buy that on PS4 instead.