• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I read something about them doing a post right when the preload went up to warn people there were going to be a lot of issues, so I kind of figured it was going to be in rough shape since I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
EewUao6WsAEo8Pq

Virtuos site (no ssl, lol) right now greets you with 20 sec HZD video. Not that they are hiding something.
They helped out with the development of HZD on PS4, though, so thats most likely a reference to that.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
If it doesn't sell well due to this horrible port I wonder if Sony will use that as an excuse not to keep bringing their titles to PC.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Wait....so, Quantic Dream which is indipendent had a higher budget for porting their own games, and two of them were actually running on PS3 compared to PS4, while Sony and Horizon had a lower budget for Horizon PC version? That's a nice conclusion you are coming up.

Quantic Dream latest engines were made exclusively for PS3 and PS4 and their last PC game was released 15 years ago. Stop making excuses for a bad porting.
QD needed their engine to run good on other platforms to go multiplatform so he has a point on how much effort went into properly porting it to PC.
HZD PC port from all the results looks like a very low key effort. Time a game was in a porting process is irrelevant without knowing how many people worked on it and what kind of access they've had to the original code base.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Shame, because the moments where it is hitting 60fps improves the game's look dramatically. I remember being shocked at how good the game looked on my friend's base PS4 until we started panning the camera around and 30fps reared its ugly head. Was hoping to pick this one up on PC, but I guess I shall wait. I have to believe everything here is fixable. Another excellent video, as always, by Digital Foundry.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Shame, if this affects the games sales it may make Sony think twice about releasing more of their games on Steam, even if the port itself is whack

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Can't watch the video now, Dictator why medium textures? Is that an issue on a high VRAM card?

You should check out the written article:
www.eurogamer.net

Horizon Zero Dawn's PC port is deeply disappointing

Horizon Zero Dawn has its own particular place of honour in a phenomenal line-up of PlayStation 4 first-party exclusive…

Even the texture setting is a little strange. Pushing the setting up increases texture quality further into the distance. There's the perception of increased detail, but it can also produce aliasing issues - leaving it on console quality medium is just fine.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame, if this affects the games sales it may make Sony think twice about releasing more of their games on Steam, even if the port itself is whack
pc market has always been a double edged sword. on one hand most games sell better on consoles than pc, but the few games that matter too breack through run rings around console sales number. pc players are highly selective though, and very picky.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
they gonna think twice about releasing another shoddy port of a 3 year old game for a near full price?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's really a shame that such an important release was not given proper attention. Great video Alex.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had a chance to watch the video, is there any indication what's causing the stutters? Did they try running the game on an NVMe drive?

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Well, looking forward to experiencing it again when it is properly patched and what not. I can purchase later, plenty of stuff to play in the meantime.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video, is there any indication what's causing the stutters? Did they try running the game on an NVMe drive?

None of issues presented in the video/breakdown would be solved by something that "simple".

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hopefully there's a patch on the horizon, there should've been close to zero issues, but oh well... surely a letdawn for first time players who wanted to enjoy it on PC.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean do you really want someone who wants to do the minimum amount of work and expect to be rewarded for it? If Sony really had any plans for PC then they would work to fix this and show that they are committed to doing this right. If not then this whole thing was a lark and they never had any long term PC plans for any of their games.

As it stand now their are trending worse than when WB put out that shit port of AK, until they came back and at least made it somewhat decent.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Man this is disappointing. The abysmal performance on that GTX 1060 is simply inexcusable. Almost literally running like a base PS4 with massively more powerful components.

We should not be brute forcing decent performance out of this game to such an extent.

Really? I'm stuck then with an i7 9850 and 2070. I was going to pick this up on a sale but not if it doesn't run well.
With that combo you'll be able to do 60fps at 1080p, or maybe even 1440p, using Alex's optimized settings.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
That shader compilation process seems fucked. What other game does this besides Modern Warfare?

Detroit Become Human. I posted about it recently.

www.resetera.com

The install process for Detroit Become Human on PC is ridiculous.

Bought the game on Steam, installed it, and got this on first run: I have been waiting for 15 minutes for this to finish. It's worse than MGS4's install process on PS3. What's the worse install process you've gone through? EDIT: Process finished around 30 odd minutes.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It should be the best version not the worst version. Oh well. I'm hopeful Sony won't let it founder.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm probably going to wait a couple weeks to see what they fix. By then the price will probably $40 and under. PC games with tech issues drop in price pretty quickly.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Hopefully they can turn it around for such a high profile release on steam.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
www.hobbyconsolas.com

Primeros minutos de Horizon Zero Dawn en PC antes del análisis tras instalar un gigantesco parche

Primeros minutos de Hoziron Zero Dan en PC antes de nuestro análisis, que publicaremos tras probar el juego con un parche que soluciona problemas visuales.

Virtuous se encarga de esta adaptación que está lejos del soberbio port de Death Stranding realizado por Kojima Productions, y que analizamos hace unos días. El estudio se ha encargado recientemente de las conversiones de Borderlands o Bioshock para Switch, que funcionaban muy, muy bien, pero también de XCOM 2 y The Outer Worlds que dejaban mucho que desear en la híbrida de Nintendo.

English version
Virtuos is in charge of this adaptation that is far from the superb Death Stranding port made by Kojima Productions, and that we analyzed a few days ago. The studio recently took over the Borderlands or Bioshock conversions for Switch, which worked very, very well, but also XCOM 2 and The Outer Worlds that left a lot to be desired in the Nintendo hybrid.

Dictator Virtuos is doing the port of the PC version, not Guerrilla Games. Probably working on Horizon 2 and a second game. After this is not an excuse and the port needs to improved asap.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they can clean it up with patches. That foliage warping looks sooooooo weird.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Well that's a pretty big bummer. Hopefully they take the time to fix these issues with a quick turnaround. Staying well away from the game for some time, and will be a lot more skeptical about similar PC ports :/

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So was the port done in-house? Partially outsourced or entirely outsourced? Because I'd hope guerilla would see a stutter every 300fps and know how to fix it given that it's their own engine and Kojima Production was able to do it. Also, AF not working from the settings menu?? No DLSS2.0 when Kojima Production might have shared some tech stuff on it and nVidia helps their big name customers with the implementation?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have this preloaded on my pc, this is such a downer, especially after being so hyped to play.

I'm almost tempted to get a refund, this port sounds like a shambles.