• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
3c01c3fc82cda4279bc22787962338bb.jpg

I thought it was just me.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've been running through my first playthrough on a Pro the last week or so. Considering how good it looks overall there, I'm surprised at some of the shortcomings/performance limitations.

The game is a damned good modern take on the hunting game in Oregon Trail.

Edit: I've been playing the video on-and-off in the background, so I easily missed it, but I'm curious if the persistent pop-in issues from some areas in the original are fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The game running on 4k Original settings on a 2080Ti and Ryzen 3900X was at 40FPS, but it wasn't fully utilizing the GPU(it was at High 70s/Low 80s), Alex fixed but honestly I didn't understand how, but it was a weird problem.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
this is giving me assassins creed odyssey vibes where the game has settings that seem to do nothing and other settings where theres little to no difference but huge framerate hits, and take monster power to run

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Ahh feck. Guess I'll I have to find something else to play tomorrow until this is patched. I thought I would be able to brute force it with my i9-9900K / RTX 2080 Ti combo with some tweaks but those frame-time spikes are something I simply can't deal with.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That shader compilation process seems fucked. What other game does this besides Modern Warfare?

Borderlands 3 IIRC.

It's also in Death Stranding during the first cut scene / intro which makes the game stuttery as fuck. If you go look at the opening pages of the DS port's release you'll see a ton of complaints about stuttering that mostly die out because it's just at that one point.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Dunno what he was expecting. Death Stranding was made with PC port in mind while some stuff for Horizon was designed with 30fps only in mind. This will probably improve with time since this version is probably the patch that PS5 will get.
Doubt the PS5 gets this version, the original devs will port this to PS5 if it gets ported at all. Sony doesn't have incentive for PC to be the definitive version of their games. The whole point is to get these folks to buy a PlayStation and with sub par ports that's exactly what they may do.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
big oof. The facial animations were already a big weakness for the game but the higher framerate makes it even worse. The vegetation moving honestly looks awful, actually prefer the static foilage over that. And the stutters that occur regardless.... that alone is enough to turn me away.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Dunno what he was expecting. Death Stranding was made with PC port in mind while some stuff for Horizon was designed with 30fps only in mind. This will probably improve with time since this version is probably the patch that PS5 will get.

Detroit become human was also designed for PS4 AND 30fps in mind and it's not bad on PC
Beyond Two Souls and Heavy Rain were also designed for PS3 in mind which is a totally different architecture from PS4 and PC and they run well.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The game running on 4k Original settings on a 2080Ti and Ryzen 3900X was at 40FPS, but it wasn't fully utilizing the GPU(it was at High 70s/Low 80s), Alex fixed but honestly I didn't understand how, but it was a weird problem.
I switch out components in my PC all the time for work and I switched slots recently again for cooling purposes and switched capture card location - I unwittingly put it in the sole 8x slot without thinking. Yeah - I make mistakes.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I'm sure it's all about the lighting.

EDIT: I find fascinating how two games built with the same engine can lead to such different results. Maybe porting something can be harder than originally developing for a specific platform.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
That 1060 performance is embarrassing. I actually made a face when the frame rate graph came up.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Doubt the PS5 gets this version, the original devs will port this to PS5 if it gets ported at all. Sony doesn't have incentive for PC to be the definitive version of their games. The whole point is to get these folks to buy a PlayStation and with sub par ports that's exactly what they may do.
Nobody is going to buy PS5 because of the shitty port of a years old game. That only happens in a Bizarro world.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Great work Alex. It's brutal just how poor the port is in so many ways. For me I think the biggest issue is the animations that don't run at the proper framerate, especially things like facial animations that are pretty important for a story-heavy game like this. It almost makes me wanna just lock everything to 30 fps via RTSS and crank the resolution.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 3 IIRC.

It's also in Death Stranding during the first cut scene / intro which makes the game stuttery as fuck. If you go look at the opening pages of the DS port's release you'll see a ton of complaints about stuttering that mostly die out because it's just at that one point.
Hmmm... I didn't notice that about Death Stranding.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Gah, why would Sony outsource this? Now they're going to be spending much more time and money to properly fix it. I really hope Sony dosen't cut their losses and abandon it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL even this is now being spun as part of some plan? It's always some 4d chess move

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great work Alex. It's brutal just how poor the port is in so many ways. For me I think the biggest issue is the animations that don't run at the proper framerate, especially things like facial animations that are pretty important for a story-heavy game like this. It almost makes me wanna just lock everything to 30 fps via RTSS and crank the resolution.
I thought about it but since your playing FAR FAR more than watching cutscenes and since the original game had oddities in its cutscenes already, its not at all worth it,.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If it's really outsourced why did they choose Virtuos and not QLOC?
Why bother releasing the game if you are not putting an actual effort in the port?

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Detroit become human was also designed for PS4 AND 30fps in mind and it's not bad on PC
Beyond Two Souls and Heavy Rain were also designed for PS3 in mind which is a totally different architecture from PS4 and PC and they run well.
Budget for those ports were probably way higher than this one, considering QD is now multiplatform. Not the first time QD makes a game for PC too.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Gah, why would Sony outsource this? Now they're going to be spending much more time and money to properly fix it. I really hope Sony dosen't cut their losses and abandon it.
Because GG is busy with Horizon 2.

Budget for those ports were probably way higher than this one, considering QD is now multiplatform. Not the first time QD makes a game for PC too.
Plus they spent almost year on porting Detroit.

Cage noted that the games were developed with the PlayStation systems in mind, so the studio spent over a year porting, optimizing engines, and redesigning controls for the PC platform:

"When we developed the PlayStation versions, all the code was native for PlayStation, optimized to the bone to run as best as possible on that platform. We also designed the interface for the PlayStation controller, as we always wanted to support the platform as much as we could and to be as close to it as possible. All these advantages we had on PlayStation became challenges in porting the game to PC."