• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
just watched the video, game looks very pretty. I'm probably going to play at 60fps, as I don't think the game will be as blurry as it's shown in the youtube video

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 Resolution Mode looks fantastic - I'd take that over performance mode any day. Also, why does PS5 still have so much pop-in? :( I can't wait for the day when pop-in is no longer a thing.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I don't know, I kind of dig the additional lighting they have in the cutscenes and dialog scenes. "Hero Lighting" or Rim Lighting. I think it looks cool. Makes the character pop.
The implementation of hero lighting looks almost like inverted cel shading. Seems like it's more noticeable in dialogue scenes and toned down during gameplay from the demo video last year.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Was already going to play in Resolution mode anyway, but seeing how blurry performance mode is in comparison is surprising given it's 1800p checkerboard.

Anyway, great video, hope the PS5/PS4 comparison one is out soon.

zaitsu

Banned
Jan 27, 2022
w8PjkZQ.jpg

N6FTonl.png

uAhCvxp.jpg

H6Bft3q.jpg

YMj9uLz.jpg

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to start in 30 fps because if I start in 60 I wont go back

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
The game looks gorgeous. Best looking open-world game right now for sure.

I would say so too. Subjective I know, but this, for me, tops the graphics tree, regardless of game type or platform. I don't like the character cut-scene lighting (looks like bad green screen) and still find the hero lighting a bit OTT, but otherwise this is glorious. I'm side eyeing my Xbox Series X at the moment ha-ha.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
The almost constant fog negatively affects the look of the environments for me. The mid-distance is often obscured by it and it leads to large parts of the image being just fog + some slight geometry or vegetation poking out. With the amount of different biomes I would have liked to see more clear vistas. I feel like all the detail is always packed relatively close to the camera which I don't find fits an open-world game that wants to encourage exploration.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to do resolution mode on an oled and 2nd playthru will be 60fps. My oled is fucking rdy

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've been trying to go in relatively blind, but appreciated hearing about the tech even if I tried to listen more than watch for parts of it. The small-scale detail overview was really eye-opening, and the water technology looks wonderful. Then again, after Death Stranding made some major improvements in that area, it seemed like a given. I finally stopped as they were about to get into character models because I felt like that was easy unintentional spoiler territory. Based on my past experience, I think I can safely say I'll be happiest with "favor resolution" mode - but I'm glad both are on offer.

It's going to be a long few days until I can dive in and form my own opinions about the world, characters, and story.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
rewatched at tv, yeah it looks extremely sharp and beautiful at native4k.
might be a difficult choice here.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Nah, this whoops Dying Light 2, even maxed on PC. Sure, the RTGI is great, but texture detail, geometry, models, all far superior here.
Better char animation in h2 cut scene definitely helps too. Dying light 2 looks like last gen jank with the lack of proper motion capture. DL2 without any RT isnt anything to right home about, low res texture everywhere.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I turned it off and went with the written article. Not story spoilery but showed a lot of areas in the the first 7 or 8 minutes. Too much I thought
I guess it's difficult to make a graphical analysis/opinion video without spoiling a number of locations, especially for an open world visual showcase.
If you are media dark, I wouldn't. I've watched short bursts because I am graphics whore, but I want to go in spoiler free much as possible.
Not entirely; I've seen the trailers and IGN's preview footage, but I haven't watched any of the footage shared today.

I'm going to take your suggestion and hold on tight until the 18th.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

The repeating pattern on the waterfall mars this otherwise stunning scene a little.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about that. Dying Light 2 on PC fully ray traced is very difficult to beat right now. Console open world, yessir.
Lighting is better in DL2 but I think that's really about it. FW has it beat in nearly every aspect of its visuals from the detailed textures, character models, etc.

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
Man, this is the first title since PS5 released that I'm so torn between resolution vs performance mode. I always default to 60fps but for this one I'm on the fence.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Looks like I'm playing in resolution mode just like Guardian of the Galaxy. Took me 2-3 mins to get used to it jumping from Endwalker at 144 fps to 30 fps GOTG

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I think I'll start in resolution (my eyes always adapat to 30 fps eventually, it's just jarring when I compare to 60) and will try 60fps when I am a few hours in to see if it makes me want to switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how anyone could stick with 30 FPS mode, no matter how perf mode is. If blurriness was a concern, I'd just wait until the inevitable PC version. 30 fps is awful

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Raytraced global illumination affects literally everything in the game world so it's not something that can just be waived away lol. Just another level of realism

Horizon looks great tho

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Those 1 on 1 dialogues scenes are so much better. I agree with John, that was my biggest gripe with the first game as well.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
It looks amazing, but I thought it has since the gameplay reveal. I'm starting in resolution mode as I did with Ratchet and see how it feels. Hopefully they will patch in a 40fps mode at some point.