• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Opps, IO advertised Hitman 3 at 4K on PS5 but 47's head can't make it shine at 4K on PS5. I'm glad I skip this game.
It just because Hitman 3 is not available in my country ;p

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
qpmDaml.png

from Digital Foundry
Maybe I'm not understating this correctly, but if the power differential between PS4 pro and PS5 is about 2.4x, and the two versions are sharing the same settings and running at 60fps.. shouldn't PS5 be able to get to 2160p?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Maybe I'm not understating this correctly, but if the power differential between PS4 pro and PS5 is about 2.4x, and the two versions are sharing the same settings and running at 60fps.. shouldn't PS5 be able to get to 2160p?
You are discounting texture quality, the fact that the PS4 Pro doesn't really run at 60fps and that nothing scales linearly.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I don't think the difference is a big deal, but I also don't think it's particularly hard to tell the difference if they're side by side.

But yeah, if you've only got a PS5 at home it's not like you're going to be going "Wow, this is just a blurry mess".

Native 4k makes sense in this one case. If a patch for RT comes out down the line that lets you do some sort of 1440p-1800p adaptive resolution/reconstruction with RT at 60fps let's be honest, DF and most of us, will prefer that one without a doubt.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
It's only one game, so it's too early to say in my opinion. Maybe the PS5 version wasn't optimized enough? Or maybe it is the hardware power difference at work here? I wouldn't know but let's wait for some other releases before making conclusions.
Yeah it is early to say so we gonna have to wait and see i guess.
The results show the PS5 version is being held back relative to the XSX, which is why the XSX frame rate drops 16.7% during the one scene and the PS5 version doesn't.

(3840*2160*50)/(3200*1800*60)=1.2

Basically the expected gap.
Interesting..... thanks!

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
1800p is 2,78x of 1080p, PS5 runs the game at constant 60, while PS4pro does not. PS5 doesn't seem underutilized, at least looking at the basic TF metric in comparison to PS4pro.

Saidur_Ali

Dec 23, 2019
I wonder what power draw PS5 version is at? Must have quite a bit of headroom in performance so hopefully they patch it with native 4K and also a 120HZ mode at 1440p.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Like I posted earlier in the thread, seems like the devs just wanted to make sure the game runs great on all the systems and make launch.. it's releasing on so many systems.

So I think chart shows that it's not crazy to think that systems like the 1X and the PS5 get patches.

1X gets an additional 1080p 60fps mode
PS5 gets an additional quality mode that runs at 4K 60fps, but dips at certain parts.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
Its a noticeable difference to many .

If you have perfect eye sight you can see roughly 60 pixels per degree of view (that is the pixel/cell density of your retina). That means that with a 60 inch TV you must sit closer than 4-5 feet from the TV to be physically able to see the difference between 1800p and 2160p.

Or in other words - with a normal couch/TV set-up (6-8 feet view distance) and a 60 inch TV the human eye can clearly see the difference between 1080p and 4K but cannot see the difference between 1800p and 2160p.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
GPU bandwidth is pretty important for high resolution - those numbers can be enlightening.
I think bandwidth gets ignored for some reason very often. We've seen with Xbox One X vs Pro imo, how much of an impact bandwidth has on resolution. Sometimes the delta between the resolution was bigger than the raw GPU power would've suggested.
So I think chart shows that it's not crazy to think that systems like the 1X and the PS5 get patches.
I don't think it would be crazy, however I don't think it's realistic either.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news for XsX owners (myself included i guess?) I would like to know, if the ps5 version is locked 60 doesn't that mean there's more headroom to improve the resolution? I'd love to see an option for the ps5 at 4k/60 to see how it fares.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Great news for XsX owners (myself included i guess?) I would like to know, if the ps5 version is locked 60 doesn't that mean there's more headroom to improve the resolution? I'd love to see an option for the ps5 at 4k/60 to see how it fares.
We don't know how much headroom there is for the PS5 version. I think it'll depend on the scenes and it won't be much, considering io reduced the shadow setting* and there are actually some extremely rare drops in the PS5 version, which other people found.

*unless that's a bug

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Not gonna lie, I personally dont see a difference between the resolutions (60 inch TV, ~ 7' distance) but the drop in shadow quality is noticeable if I look for it.
Will be interesting how the gen develops, i mean it was always realistic that the XSX will perform a bit (?) better on average but I´m curious if this will translate to visible (to the general audience) differences.

I think it´s still hard to really tell as long as most of the games are cross-gen and run on engines probably not fully optimized for next-gen hardware. XSX being able to brute-force more stuff was expected, correct?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not gonna lie, I personally dont see a difference between the resolutions (60 inch TV, ~ 7' distance) but the drop oin shadow quality is noticeable if I look for it.
Will be interesting how the gen develops, i mean it was always realsitic that the XSX will perform a bit (?) better on average but I´m curious if this wil translate to visible (to the general audience) differences.

I think it´s still hard to really tell as long as most ofthe games are cross-gen and run on engines probably not fully optimized for next-gen hardware. XSX being able to brute-force more stuff was expected, correct?

We will probably see a bigger differences in first party exclusive games, while third party games will have smaller differences, if they favour one console over the other.

If games aren't the same on both, we might see differences like 1800p vs 4k be a common thing. At least it's not going to be 1440p vs 4k, as it often was with PS4 Pro vs XB1X thankfully.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
If you have perfect eye sight you can see roughly 60 pixels per degree of view (that is the pixel/cell density of your retina). That means that with a 60 inch TV you must sit closer than 4-5 feet from the TV to be physically able to see the difference between 1800p and 2160p.

Or in other words - with a normal couch/TV set-up (6-8 feet view distance) and a 60 inch TV the human eye can clearly see the difference between 1080p and 4K but cannot see the difference between 1800p and 2160p.

I can see the difference on a 55inch at 7.5 feet away on 1800p and 2160p, I've just tried it in AC Unity on PC. 4-5-6feet is very clear on 55 inch.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
There is clearly some headroom on PS5 as this version is locked in areas the XSX can drops to 41fps. In those areas PS5 runs with a framerate almost 50% higher than XSX. This is a massive difference.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

I can clearly see the difference on a 50" tv 8 feet away from the TV.

I think that what is being discussed here is out of proportions. It's not like PS5 should perform equally or better than Series X. The performance is what is expected and it's really good in both cases.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Quick question, since I haven't seen the video yet. Does they mention input lag?
1 and 2 had HORRIBLE input lag on consoles, like the worst kind I've ever experienced last gen, have they finally fixed that shit?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, since I haven't seen the video yet. Does they mention input lag?
1 and 2 had HORRIBLE input lag on consoles, like the worst kind I've ever experienced last gen, have they finally fixed that shit?
Well, I haven't seen the video either lol, but people in the OT were saying how the game was much snappier control wise on consoles.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They don't mention input lag in this video iirc. There is a second video I haven't watched yet though, that they say is more of a technical dive than this one.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017

I have 65" X900F, we sit Id say about 8 feet from the the tv and I notice a pretty significant difference between 1440p and native 4K..I would bet I would notice an 1800p res being slightly less sharp at that distance as well. Of course it's not a big deal..but this narrative that it's 100% 'imperceptible' at a normal viewing distance I just don't buy. And I am slightly near sighted.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If someone can actually see a resolution difference between 1800p and 4k at 60fps while in-game, they must have really, really good eyes, AND sit really close to their TV.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally wouldn't pick one version over another just for that small difference. 1440p vs. 4k, sure. 1800p? Nah.
Well I have good eyes as in I don't need to wear glasses. And it's blatantly obvious to me on PC and my 55" OLED, sitting around 10-12' away, changing the resolution scaler in a game to even 90% of 4k and the IQ takes a hit and no longer as sharp and clean. Even DF mentions in this very video that they could see the difference.

That said, to the average Joe, they won't care/notice, but then they probably didn't care about upgrading to a PS4 Pro either.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I am really curious at why so many people with only one console are watching these DF comparison videos. What is the point? I have both Xbox Series consoles and two PS5 consoles so these DF videos help me choose the very best version of every game. I have that choice. Last generation, I only owned a PS4 and I never watched these videos - what was the point? Why would I care if a game ran better on the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro - I did not own those consoles. And that did not diminish the fun I had playing games on my PS4. People need to relax and enjoy what they own.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
Well I have good eyes as in I don't need to wear glasses. And it's blatantly obvious to me on PC and my 55" OLED, sitting around 10-12' away, changing the resolution scaler in a game to even 90% of 4k and the IQ takes a hit and no longer as sharp and clean. Even DF mentions in this very video that they could see the difference.

That said, to the average Joe, they won't care/notice, but then they probably didn't care about upgrading to a PS4 Pro either.

I can see the difference on a 55inch at 7.5 feet away on 1800p and 2160p, I've just tried it in AC Unity on PC. 4-5-6feet is very clear on 55 inch.

There are two explanations for this and I bet it is the second since you both stated PC...

Either you are both biologically unique (highly unlikely) or...
...you set that setting on your PC, i.e. that is the graphical output signal from the PC, your TV can only display 4K and 1080p signals and the picture gets 'converted' to either a 1080p or 4K in the very cheap hardware in the TV (the likely scenario). The second scenario results in very visible distortion.

Both the XSX and the PS5 output a clean 4K signal even if the rendering is done at a lower resolution. I believe when the TV does something it is compression since it is easier so any signal lower than 4K becomes 1080p (but I have never done pixel measurements so maybe it can go both ways - net-net it is blatantly obvious though).

Edit: Same answer to tapedeck even though you did not mention PC.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If someone can actually see a resolution difference between 1800p and 4k at 60fps while in-game, they must have really, really good eyes, AND sit really close to their TV.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally wouldn't pick one version over another just for that small difference. 1440p vs. 4k, sure. 1800p? Nah.
Depending of the output, 1440p can be treaky.
Remember that both UE 5 demo and Demon's Souls are rendered at 1440p. Everybody thought it was 4K before someone count the pixels...

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There are two explanations for this and I bet it is the second since you both stated PC...

Either you are both biologically unique (highly unlikely) or...
...you set that setting on your PC, i.e. that is the graphical output signal from the PC, your TV can only display 4K and 1080p signals and the picture gets 'converted' to either a 1080p or 4K in the very cheap hardware in the TV (the likely scenario). The second scenario results in very visible distortion.

Both the XSX and the PS5 outputs a clean 4K signal even if the rendering is done at a lower resolution.
You don't need to be biologically unique to see a 44% increase in resolution. Are the team at DF biologically unique too?

I specifically said "changing the resolution scaler in a game". So I was talking specifically about those games which have a built-in internal scaler for the renderer where you set the percentage (whilst still outputting at 4k) as a like-for-like. Not changing the PC's output resolution.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I am really curious at why so many people with only one console are watching these DF comparison videos. What is the point?
I mean... you know the answer...

Personally, I watched them to know how the performance are on the console I own. So I used them to know if I should wait for patches before buying the game. And they sometimes have good technical info in them. But this time, the technical stuff are in an other dedicated video.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
You don't need to be biologically unique to see a 44% increase in resolution. Are the team at DF biologically unique too?

I specifically said "changing the resolution scaler in a game". So I was talking specifically about those games which have a built-in internal scaler for the renderer where you set the percentage (whilst still outputting at 4k) as a like-for-like. Not changing the PC's output resolution.

Honestly, this is measurable to the dot in the eye. While FPS is very complicated due to how the brain processes an image and the firing frequency of neurons, the pixel density of the retina is very easy to measure. We know exactly the density of sensory neurons in the retina where the density is the highest. That sets the pixel limit for the eye. Furthermore, we know the view angle of the eye. As a consequence we know how many pixels we can discriminate per degree of view angle. That sets an exact limit for a good eye in its ability to discriminate resolutions at various view distances.

That is why I have a very hard time believing that what you see is not picture distortion due to signal processing along the way rather than a real resolution difference. May I ask what game/slider/GPU you used?

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just checked few pages of this thread. This is a very promising start and is setting the bar very high for high value entertainment for future comparison threads. Can't beat all the "era experts" having a discussion over graphics 🤣

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019

Not everyone had a typical couch set up tho. Many have bigger than 60 inch tvs . Many sit closer to their TV. Many game on monitors . Etc.

So for a lot of people, thats a noticeable difference. For some its not . But its still a difference

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I am really curious at why so many people with only one console are watching these DF comparison videos. What is the point? I have both Xbox Series consoles and two PS5 consoles so these DF videos help me choose the very best version of every game. I have that choice. Last generation, I only owned a PS4 and I never watched these videos - what was the point? Why would I care if a game ran better on the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro - I did not own those consoles. And that did not diminish the fun I had playing games on my PS4. People need to relax and enjoy what they own.

If a game you want to play wasn't released in a good state, Digital Foundry will inform you so you can skip it or wait for patches.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
Ppl are actually arguing that they don't see a difference between 1800p and 2160p? Is this the video game version of trumpism I'm witnessing?? I'm kidding btw 🤣

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Ppl are actually arguing that they don't see a difference between 1800p and 2160p? Is this the video game version of trumpism I'm witnessing?? I'm kidding btw 🤣
Just like with framerates, the same happens with resolution.

There is a big difference going from 30fps to 60fps. It instantly noticeable. It's not that obvious going from 60fps to 120fps and even less obvious going from 120fps to 180-240fps.

The same applies to resolution. It's easy to spot a difference between 1080p and 1440p/4k. Between 1440p vs 4k? Not that obvious. Even less so between 1800p vs 4k. Outside these comparison videos and the data actually put there for people to see, very few people would be able to spot the difference between two games running at 60fps with identical settings if the only difference is that one is at 1800p and the other is 4K.

That's not saying the difference isn't there, but its one of those things that unless you go looking for it, you will be able to spot it.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I don't have any of those consoles yet but it's interesting to see how specs translate into real world performance. And it allows people to have better informed conversations about gaming hardware and rendering in general. So when new stuff comes out it's easier to understand the implications of this or that hardware feature or rendering technique when it comes to the future of graphics.

If people are willing to dump hundreds of dollars into these boxes then I don't think it's unusual for them to want to learn more about what they just paid for.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
1800*3200 = 5760000 pixels
2160*3840 = 8294400 pixels

576000/8294400 = 0.69 or 69% less pixels
8294400/5760000 = 1.44 or 144% more the amount of pixels

I'm dumb but don't you have to substract 5.76M from 8.29M first to get the difference? Then divide the result by 8.29M? That gives you 30%.

8294400-5760000 = 2,534,400
2,534,400/8,294,400*100 = ~30%

edit: NVM - I get it now. 44% increase from 1800p. Not difference between 1800p and 2160p! I got it now!

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
I'm dumb but don't you have to substract 5.76M from 8.29M first to get the difference? Then divide the result by 8.29M? That gives you 30%.

8294400-5760000 = 2,534,400
2,534,400/8,294,400*100 = ~30%

edit: NVM - I get it now. 44% increase from 1800p. Not difference between 1800p and 2160p! I got it now!
His "69% less pixels" still is very very wrong.