• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The new trend for click bait gaming videos is to hyperbolize. "PS5 Destroys Xbox with unbelievable news". Obviously DF is not going that far, but every comparison video up to now has been completely neutral with its title as far as I can remember. It's more of a baby step towards than full on click-bait. I just am noticing the change of course...

There's such a thing as being upset by the substance of something. The title is accurate without being bombastic or exaggerated at all, and their video titles generally have a bit that notes something specific/novel about the video, including your examples; Some highlight RT because the particular game has it, some were their earliest next-gen work (as opposed to PS4/XB1), some included Series S rather than having a separate video, and this one demonstrates a resolution difference that hasn't been as pronounced in other games.

Titles should give the reader an accurate overview of the content.

dimitri2401

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
As usual, nice analysis DF. Another 60 fps game on next-gen systems, that's great news. I really hope this trend will continue.

Xbox has an advantage here, and this might happen more often for upcoming games (after all the One X is supposedly more powerful, PS5 owners know that). But should we really care? Both systems have great performance and personally, as long as I get my 60 fps, I would gladly play at any resolution.

Can't wait to play this as soon as I can get my hands on a PS5.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
The difference between true 4k and 1800p isn't noticeable during normal gameplay sat at a normal distance from the tv.

If you get up close however, you might tell the difference. In other words, 1800p or 4k, both will look absolute quality on a 4k display. There is virtually nothing between them to the normal naked eye.
As an Xbox guy who owns all 3 current consoles —— none of these little differences matter at all. I ran Maneater optimized for next gen because I owned it on Xbox and it was free on PS+ and clicked back and forth on my inputs. The verdict? It's fun eating people on both. : )

these to me are only useful when it's like Skyrim on PS3 or something, when the difference is like unmistakeable performance flaws.

all these games so far look amazing unless botched like Cyberpunk last gen ports.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There's such a thing as being upset by the substance of something. The title is accurate without being bombastic or exaggerated at all, and their video titles generally have a bit that notes something specific/novel about the video, including your examples; Some highlighted RT because the game had it, some were their earliest next-gen work (as opposed to PS4/XB1 comparisons), some included Series S rather than having a separate video, and this one demonstrates a resolution difference that hasn't been as pronounced in other games.

My wish for DF is that they would just drop versus -part from all those titles. Comparison is enough, and there really isn't need push one product against another. They live quite easily together in living-rooms.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My wish for DF is that they would just drop versus -part from all those titles. Comparison is enough, and there really isn't need push one product against another. They live quite easily together in living-rooms.

But that's the point of their videos... We've (multi-platform owners) been using Digital Foundry vs videos forever to help advise which version to buy. They shouldn't rebrand/redo how they do tech analysis just because some single-platform fans get unreasonably annoyed by results.

My PS5 and Series X live together perfectly, like you say. But I still wanna know which version of xyz game is better. Especially if it's something obviously worth having like a native resolution vs a non-native resolution. I don't want them to beat around the bush trying not to upset people over something as mundane as resolution differences or AF or shadows or grass or whatever.

It's dry, tech analysis (with some nice, charismatic commentary). That's what I want.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
But that's the point of their videos... We've (multi-platform owners) been using Digital Foundry vs videos forever to help advise which version to buy. They shouldn't rebrand/redo how they do tech analysis just because some single-platform fans get unreasonably annoyed by results.

My PS5 and Series X live together perfectly, like you say. But I still wanna know which version of xyz game is better. Especially if it's something obviously worth having like a native resolution vs a non-native resolution. I don't want them to beat around the bush trying not to upset people over something as mundane as resolution differences or AF or shadows or grass or whatever.

It's dry, tech analysis (with some nice, charismatic commentary). That's what I want.
I could not agree more, I have them both sitting under my TV, I love them both, so waited for their specific comparison to understand which version to buy, it was vice versa for Valhalla. I just want the best version I can get.

madrista7

Oct 28, 2017
qpmDaml.png

from Digital Foundry

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 3 isn't a demanding game and if PS5 can run Assassin's Ceed Valhalla in 4k 60fps then there's no reason it can't do so here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it hard to believe people who care this much about the difference in resolution don't just play on PC. Then you can gloat over everyone and ignore these minor differences on locked, cheap platforms. Of course the XSX will perform better than a cheaper console, but the PC will perform better than any console.

They don't once they play the damn game.
Hitman 3 isn't a demanding game and if PS5 can run Assassin's Ceed Valhalla in 4k 60fps then there's no reason it can't do so here.

I don't know shit about development but surely it's not just as simple as that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

It can't run Valhalla at 4k/60fps. It's dynamic res and always lower than Hitman's 1800p.

The lowest measured pixel count is 1440p (67 per cent of native 4K on either axis) while the maximum is 1728p

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's such a thing as being upset by the substance of something. The title is accurate without being bombastic or exaggerated at all, and their video titles generally have a bit that notes something specific/novel about the video, including your examples; Some highlight RT because the particular game has it, some were their earliest next-gen work (as opposed to PS4/XB1), some included Series S rather than having a separate video, and this one demonstrates a resolution difference that hasn't been as pronounced in other games.

Titles should give the reader an accurate overview of the content.

I found it weired that John mentioned the "this is what xbox gamers waited for, finally stronger than ps5." Shouldn't go that route but it's still accurate.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't once they play the damn game.

I don't know shit about development but surely it's not just as simple as that.
It can't run Valhalla at 4k/60fps. It's dynamic res and always lower than Hitman's 1800p.
PS5 runs Valhalla at just above 1440p @60 fps. Dynamic 4K is pure marketing bullshit lol
You know that's not how it works.
AC: Valhalla does not run at 4K on any console.

So all the hand wringing about whether PS5 was running Valhalla at 4K 60fps was a big nothing because it never did anyway in the end?

Damn.

Well at least the power difference is showing up like many predicted I guess.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

These are different engines doing different things, and engine performance isn't interchangeable that way. The distinction here in the Series X version of Hitman3 is that it's native 4K w/out DRS, and Valhalla wasn't running in 4K on consoles.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are different engines doing different things, and engine performance isn't interchangeable that way. The distinction here in the Series X version of Hitman3 is that it's native 4K w/out DRS, and Valhalla wasn't running in 4K on consoles.

I see, makes sense now.

Though it seems Xbox is taking the lead earlier than people were predicting, seems like it'll be the same situation we had between the Pro and One X going forward.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
PS4 Pro out performs the Series S?
Yeah, my main takeaway from this video. I'm on PC and the game is strong artistically and kinda outdated tech-wise (no RT btw, reflections are SSR).

I can't imagine what could possibly stall the mighty PS5, especially the shadows. Because on my regular 2080 this option is boosting less than 4% of FPS performance.

And that's why I hate cross-gen titles. It's impossible to make any tangible conclusion until truly next-gen titles will drop.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
User Warned: Platform Waring
I see, makes sense now.

Though it seems Xbox is taking the lead earlier than people were predicting, seems like it'll be the same situation we had between the Pro and One X going forward.

lol

i just hope, we can assume all the "tools" talk can cease, now that all devs should have access to this last iteration of them.
though something tells me it will conveniently come back whenever a ps5 game performs same/better going forward too.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Agree and I wouldn't want them to change actual content of these videos. Just replace the word versus in the title with and or something, for example: "Digital Foundry: Hitman 3 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Comparison: An Xbox Advantage At 4K". That kind of small change would promote much healthier relationship of these consoles, and quite possibly lessen the war presence and narrative.

(Although it might affect videos visibility, as Youtube algorithms seems to prefer negativity).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

I couldn't have said it better and for those seeking technology analysis DF is the channel, too. As a multiplatform gamer I like those comparisons. It helps with my purchase decision.

That's not how this works.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is because PS5 has less memory available for games due to Sony's usual generous chunk of memory reserved for OS. There seems to be a performance headroom for the game to run at a higher res, given that it doesn't drop frames even in that flower field, and yet, they didn't do it. Shadow resolution is another memory hungry setting that typically doesn't have much of an impact on anything else other than memory use.

Last edited:

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this is because PS5 has less memory available for games due to Sony's usual generous chunk of memory reserved for OS. There's clearly performance headroom for the game to run at a higher res, given that it doesn't drop frames even in that flower field, and yet, they didn't do it. Shadow resolution is another memory hungry setting that typically doesn't have much of an impact on anything else other than memory use.

Is this an assumption or do you have proof for this statement? Can you link where you got that?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
The new trend for click bait gaming videos is to hyperbolize. "PS5 Destroys Xbox with unbelievable news". Obviously DF is not going that far, but every comparison video up to now has been completely neutral with its title as far as I can remember. It's more of a baby step towards than full on click-bait. I just am noticing the change of course:

• Dirt 5: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S Comparison + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested!
  • COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!
  • Watch Dogs Legion: PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S - Graphics, Performance, Ray Tracing!
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S Next-Gen Comparison!

Lol. Some of you guys are something else.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a few months until the Series X running better is a consistent result. It should eventually be, the machine is actually more powerful, but it could just be engine quirks making it run better on GPUs with higher CU counts or whatever and this is an exception right now.
Yeah don't worry, i'll wait. There isn't a console in sight, at this moment ;P. I think this difference is a tad big. But if it turns out to be a consistent one over all multiplats then i will buy one. Personally, i don't expect the differences to be this big over all multiplats.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

How long has this been going on, and why is it an issue now?

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
They can always use a patch to improve some versions. If the PSPro is doing better than the Xbox Series S it is a good indicator that not all versions are using their full potential.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is the pro running at a stable 60fps? Looking at the pro setting I would think ps5 could at least have high shadows and surely the S could get higher res/shadows.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
How long has this been going on, and why is it an issue now?

Years I would think. And that was just my improvement idea for the titles of these videos and related threads. Just stop using versus when comparing products and have something like: "Digital Foundry: Hitman 3 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Comparison: An Xbox Advantage At 4K" -instead. Promote more healthy relationship of these products to lessen toxicity and that "my Brand is against something" -thinking.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Nah, results are accurate with hardware, it's just Series X using *True RDNA2 and PS4 Pro FP16.
Why are you so sure that the PS5 version can't improve? We know from various people that the difference between XSX and PS5 is less than 20%, but this game presents more difference than this. It is quite logical that it can improve things like shadows.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Why are you so sure that the PS5 version can't improve? We know from various people that the difference between XSX and PS5 is less than 20%, but this game presents more difference than this. It is quite logical that it can improve things like shadows.
He is joking. And no, we can't just calculate TF differences and call it a day. How often does it need to be said that TF don't matter?