• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
This is a bit more than the difference i expected. I always assumed there would be a noticeable gap between ps5 and Series X.
I also think that people are so fast to jump to conclusions every time DF tests a new game. At first, it was like," see....PS5 is just as powerful". "Cerny!!" "PS5 is actually better." "They are both gonna be the same."

Now we are seeing the typical "we cant see resolutions!" Or "xbox finally showing its power advantage". Basically, while i do expect a noticeable advantage for the Series X i think its still way, way to early to make those judgements based off almost all cross gen games that were being made during a pandemic. We are still gonna have to wait to see what actual differences are going to be the norm between the 2 platforms.

Fair enought. This is probably the biggest gap we've seen so far and the I/O people kept talking about is nowhere to be seen

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game support Atmos or Tempest? Does it make use of Dual Sense?

That stuff might make more of a difference compared to 4K vs 1800p with former having minor drops in one level.

I get an Atmos signal on XSX, but I'm unsure if the xbox sets everything to an atmos container, or if it's from the game itself.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Man, these console war posts are pretty funny. Does anyone else ever wonder the age of some of these posters? Not trying to be a jerk, but it's just so far sometimes, like to the point where I have to think about it. I just always assumed ERA was like a 20-something and over kinda place, but some of these posts say otherwise. (I'm late 30s myself)

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, these console war posts are pretty funny. Does anyone else ever wonder the age of some of these posters? Not trying to be a jerk, but it's just so far sometimes, like to the point where I have to think about it. I just always assumed ERA was like a 20-something and over kinda place, but some of these posts say otherwise. (I'm late 30s myself)

I highly doubt there are very many teens here.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
It's an enthusiast site and a lot of people are heavily invested emotionally and financially into this shit.

Back in the days of 1UP Yours it was sport for Shane Bettenhausen and Luke Smith to platform war for content, and they were grown ass adults. This stuff has never stopped.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
source.gif

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
This game has awesome reflections, specially on mirrors and windows. Pretty impressive that they are not Ray Traced. I think they are still quarter resolution, but because the game runs at such high resolutions on SX and PS5, they still look good. I played H2 on PS4 originally and those reflections are like 540p and they kinda broke immersion but they look great in H3.

Also materials quality seems greatly enhanced! H2 looked pretty good on last gen consoles but it always had a bit of a plasticky look because of lower quality materials but now you can see the threads on some of 47's costumes.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for asking since I couldn't go through all the info but, is this game specifically optimized for next gen? Or are the differences between XSX and PS5 because BC enhancement?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Sorry for asking since I couldn't go through all the info but, is this game specifically optimized for next gen? Or are the differences between XSX and PS5 because BC enhancement?

It's a full on, native PS5 / XSX|S game.

It's not running on BC mode (you can run the PS4 version on PS5 for VR, but that's not the version DF tested).

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
damn the replies on the first few pages are pathetic lol. fanboys acting a fool to justify their plastic box will never not be embarrassing.

I just got done playing the Dubai level on XSX, it's fucking GORGEOUS. A true stunner of a game, the art direction is incredible and the IQ is squeaky clean.

Maybe the nut jobs will lay off of harassing John Linneman for a little while thanks to this one.
nah it's just gonna be the PS5 fanboys instead of Xbox fanboys this time. Both boxes have the crazies.

Last edited:

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet but there's still a day one patch that may improve, right?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Thanks for the insight and it's good the tools are getting better.

CPU + SSD are responsible for loading and PS5 and Xbox Series X are so close that perhaps something else like CPU, networking, .... is the culprit. It's also interesting that the Series S is actually slower than the Series X, because in theory it needs to fill a smaller RAM pool.
There seems to be this idea that developers can't reduce the data streamed (MIPS, sounds, whatever) to accommodate a slower SSD, while keeping gameplay elements in tact. I dunno why, but some users seem to believe that. My take on this is that graphically there will be differences, but from a gameplay perspective the consoles are so close that there shouldn't be a gameplay concept possible on one console and not on the other platform.

CPU is not involved at all in PS5 I/O for a title perfectly optimized. I doubt this the case of Hitman 3, the loading time are big. Spiderman is more 2 seconds only.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the amount of pages you would think one version runs like a Bethesda game. It's great that every version runs well.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

They have to be at least over thirty. I see people who've been console warring since the PS360 Gaf days and who moved over to Era during the exodus from that place still at it.

Which quite frankly is pretty pathetic.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Just one question, why is everyone taking this game and this studio as an example to define the gap between the PS5 and the XSX? Nobody wonders if it is rather a lack of optimization of the PS5?

Is that the absolute truth? : ')

Large studios, on more ambitious games, clearly, have not obtained this type of difference but yet this Hitman 3 is the reference?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Performance per dollar, yeah. Mb per dollar, sure. But pixels per dollar? What's next, shadow resolution per dollar?

On PC performance per dollar is measured by keeping resolution and settings the same and comparing uncapped framerates. On console framerates and settings are capped so while it may sound a bit silly at first, in this particular case resolution is the only measurable variable that, well, varies between the two.

That said, such a comparison is not very scientific. Not only because it uses just one game (instead of multiple ones like on PC) but also because a fixed resolution doesn't have the granularity to portray graphics performance the way uncapped framerate does.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just one question, why is everyone taking this game and this studio as an example to define the gap between the PS5 and the XSX? Nobody wonders if it is rather a lack of optimization of the PS5?

Large studios, on more ambitious games, clearly, have not obtained this type of difference but yet this Hitman 3 is the reference?
The Series X has the strongest hardware, it is not really up for interpretation. The differences in 3rd party games will likely be minimal if anything at all.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It's not an age thing, all you have to do is look at sports. Or well... anything.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks breathtaking on PS5. Chongqing is a proper HDR showcase. I can't wait to revisit the older levels in the new engine at near-4K.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Thanks for the insight and it's good the tools are getting better.

CPU + SSD are responsible for loading and PS5 and Xbox Series X are so close that perhaps something else like CPU, networking, .... is the culprit. It's also interesting that the Series S is actually slower than the Series X, because in theory it needs to fill a smaller RAM pool.
There seems to be this idea that developers can't reduce the data streamed (MIPS, sounds, whatever) to accommodate a slower SSD, while keeping gameplay elements in tact. I dunno why, but some users seem to believe that. My take on this is that graphically there will be differences, but from a gameplay perspective the consoles are so close that there shouldn't be a gameplay concept possible on one console and not on the other platform.

I wonder what improvements MSFT could have done to their DMA controllers. They definitely provide a huge role in improved performance since they actually offload CPU tasks for loading data into RAM.

Oct 27, 2017
It's so awesome that Hitman seems to be finally having its moment. I'm not expecting it to light the charts on fire, but it's nice to see for such a great franchise.

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
After watching the video. The games looks solid performance wise. The one area with the drops I dont mind that much. Freesync should make it almost unoticable. Other than that the 1800p vs 4K should not be a problem If you dont set it side by side.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

One game means nothing. I guess it's mostly revanchism, because it's the first big game that is running better on XSX.

On the other hand it was expected that XSX will increase it's performance and Xbox's tools will get better.

1800p vs 2160p is not a big difference. There are many other factors like dev priorities or tool's handling, engine optimizations (wide vs narrow architecture) and so on. The game is running good on old Vega GPUs, it might be better optimized on wider architecture.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the other hand it was expected that XSX will increase it's performance and Xbox's tools will get better.
And if you admit that a defined software is always benchmarking itself on the edge of APIs, compilers and the opertaing system is running on, with a defined hardware power as a delta to reach, it's true for any platform. It's not like comparing GPUs on the same environment.

Multiple intrications, including the GPU differential, can explain why they've lowered the resolution, at this scale, in this game, and why others devs hadn't. And it has nothing to do with their skills, it's not like IOI has anything to prove, except maybe in web infrastructure.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit sorry for jem that everyone's mass quoting their stupid numbers post when it was clearly a sarcastic reply to the post they quoted going on about 'the dollar to performance value' of the consoles and how x console is the best or whatever.

Jem just took it to it's inevitable conclusion with hard, dumb numbers broken down.
I thought the line about how the Series S is "frankly pathetic" would be enough to tip everyone off.

Apparently not!

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Fair enought. This is probably the biggest gap we've seen so far and the I/O people kept talking about is nowhere to be seen

Not sure what we can expect with I/O on games that are also releasing on PC. They've gotta make them run off 7200 RPM HDD platters. Will probably only see special use of HDD speeds on exclusives.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's a Series X advantage, but it's exaggerated as the PS5 version is intentionally rendered lower.
Do you have a source for such a statement? Because I don't think the PS5 version got intentional hold back by the developers. In my opinion they've decided to go for 99,5% flawless 60FPS and achieved this goal on Xbox Series X at 4K, while PS5 would've probably dropped more at higher resolution. Therefore they've decided to go with a resolution that allows them to achieve 100% 60FPS. The foliage part is interesting, because iirc PS is simply better at this due to higher frequencies.
The difference between them is 17.5%, not 30% as the resolution difference is here.
Teraflops don't matter until they do. There are more hardware diffences to consider for the resolution like RAM bandwidth and funnily enough DF tested Hitman back in the day with their RDNA1 GPU test. What DF has done is basically taking two different GPU (wide & slow, fast & narrow) and matched their TF number. Then they tested games and Hitman was one of those running better on a GPU with more CU. So even if we ignore RAM bandwidth, your number is probably off, because there are indeed engines/games that prefer one over the other.
that's not what I meant. I meant to take full advantage of Sony's ssd and performance profiling on the gpu, games would need specific engineering like Demon's souls with its 3 second load times.
That's the case for PC and Xbox as well. I don't think any IO is pushed to its limit and most of the changes will benefit all consoles across the board. Sure there is some custom stuff in those consoles and developers need to code for that, but judging loading is not as easy as looking at SSD bandwith and calling it a day. I feel sometimes the customization of the PS5 are exaggerated. Don't get me wrong, those are cool, but it's not like you need a handbook to even grasp how to use the IO and write insane lengthy code to utilize the GPU or SSD. In fact the PS5 is easy to develop for and that's because it's very similar to a PC.
Maybe it's some sort of oversight or something that will be patched and improved later on, just like Dirt 5 did on Series X. Would have wanted DFs comment/explanation on that performance gap, since they called out Series X underperformance on Dirt 5 and called it a "bug", but now are just basically saying "well, it's probably just the stronger hardware on XSX.
They are doing this, because the Xbox Series X has many advantages in hardware compared to PS5. Thus it was surprising the PS5 performed better and you can slam them for Dirt5 all you want. But at the end of the day, they were 100% spot on.

I think everyone knows the consoles will be and are close. But I don't think it's false to say "well it's probably the stronger Xbox hardware" at all. I admit I was surprised by the difference and perhabs a patch is coming, but again it's not a Dirt 5 situation in which the LOD of the car looked so bad it could've come from the 360 era. I am glad the bug is solved.
CPU is not involved at all in PS5 I/O for a title perfectly optimized. I doubt this the case of Hitman 3, the loading time are big. Spiderman is more 2 seconds only.
I am not just talking about the I/O. A CPU still needs to do some work in games. Turn10 for example calculated drivatar behaviors during loading in the past. So my point was if another task (CPU related, networking related, ...) takes longer than the task to fill the RAM, then bandwidth doesn't matter nearly as much. Thus we can't judge loading just by SSD bandwidth.

If it takes the game let's say 10 seconds to do all the networking related tasks, then it doesn't matter if the SSD can load all data in 2 or 9 seconds (random numbers). I don't think it's networking, but something is clearly holding back the theoretical bandwidth, because even if you look at Xbox vs Xbox, the S should load faster, if you would just look at the SSD, because it's not loading the same assets and has a smaller RAM pool.

Of course the CPU on PS5 isn't involved in the I/O tasks, but then again there is more to loading than that.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not an age thing, all you have to do is look at sports. Or well... anything.

Well sports there is an emotional tie in. You become attached as a kid. Being so attached to a console, something you buy is well frankly ridiculous.

The most important thing in all this is as long as 'you enjoy it' then why the heck does one care if a game looks better on another platform.

Some of the posts are mind blowing lol

Last edited:

MaestroChief

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2020
I'm not basing my question on opinion though...

Not accounting for clockspeeds or CU's and strictly looking at the tflops differential, the Series X should, at most, be about ~18 % faster/more powerful.

The PQ-difference here is much higher than that though.

You could say that the PS5 version is rendering the game at about ~70 % of the resolution of the Series X or that the Series X is rendering ~43 % more pixels than the PS5 version (depending on what you use as the base of comparison).

(3820 × 2160) / (3200 x 1800) = ~43 % more rendered pixels on the Series X, compared to the PS5.

(3200 x 1800) / (3820 x 2160) = ~70 % of the total amount of pixels of the Series X version.

And that's not even taking into account the higher resolution shadows on the Series X.

It's a difference we, quite frankly, haven't seen. With the PS5 version running at a locked 60 fps, you'd assume there'd be headroom there for even higher resolutions.

The PS5 version is fine! They all are great!

But I didn't expect that huge of a difference in resolution (IMO) to just be glossed over.

That's exactly 44% boost.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Do you have a source for such a statement? Because I don't think the PS5 version got intentional hold back by the developers. In my opinion they've decided to go for 99,5% flawless 60FPS and achieved this goal on Xbox Series X at 4K, while PS5 would've probably dropped more at higher resolution. Therefore they've decided to go with a resolution that allows them to achieve 100% 60FPS. The foliage part is interesting, because iirc PS is simply better at this due to higher frequencies.
Teraflops don't matter until they do. There are more hardware diffences to consider for the resolution like RAM bandwidth and funnily enough DF tested Hitman back in the day with their RDNA1 GPU test. What DF has done is basically taking two different GPU (wide & slow, fast & narrow) and matched their TF number. Then they tested games and Hitman was one of those running better on a GPU with more CU. So even if we ignore RAM bandwidth, your number is probably off, because there are indeed engines/games that prefer one over the other.
That's the case for PC and Xbox as well. I don't think any IO is pushed to its limit and most of the changes will benefit all consoles across the board. Sure there is some custom stuff in those consoles and developers need to code for that, but judging loading is not as easy as looking at SSD bandwith and calling it a day. I feel sometimes the customization of the PS5 are exaggerated. Don't get me wrong, those are cool, but it's not like you need a handbook to even grasp how to use the IO and write insane lengthy code to utilize the GPU or SSD. In fact the PS5 is easy to develop for and that's because it's very similar to a PC.
They are doing this, because the Xbox Series X has many advantages in hardware compared to PS5. Thus it was surprising the PS5 performed better and you can slam them for Dirt5 all you want. But at the end of the day, they were 100% spot on.

I think everyone knows the consoles will be and are close. But I don't think it's false to say "well it's probably the stronger Xbox hardware" at all. I admit I was surprised by the difference and perhabs a patch is coming, but again it's not a Dirt 5 situation in which the LOD of the car looked so bad it could've come from the 360 era. I am glad the bug is solved.
I am not just talking about the I/O. A CPU still needs to do some work in games. Turn10 for example calculated drivatar behaviors during loading in the past. So my point was if another task (CPU related, networking related, ...) takes longer than the task to fill the RAM, then bandwidth doesn't matter nearly as much. Thus we can't judge loading just by SSD bandwidth.

If it takes the game let's say 10 seconds to do all the networking related tasks, then it doesn't matter if the SSD can load all data in 2 or 9 seconds (random numbers). I don't think it's networking, but something is clearly holding back the theoretical bandwidth, because even if you look at Xbox vs Xbox, the S should load faster, if you would just look at the SSD, because it's not loading the same assets and has a smaller RAM pool.

Of course the CPU on PS5 isn't involved in the I/O tasks, but then again there is more to loading than that.

There is no network in Hitman 3. There is some initialization of entity, IA from the CPU but I don't think the game is well optimized. It is call optimization you need to change tons of thing.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
My thoughts exactly! I'm sure they could optimize it to remove the issues but its honestly not a big deal at all.
What could be done tho other than reducing foliage density on that scene? It looks like the GPU is choking because it's simply asked to do too much. It's the kind of scenario where you could expect PS5 to have an advantage even if both were running at the same resolution - alpha blending is performed by ROPs, both chips have the same number of them but PS5 is clocked higher.

Impressive work by IOI, shipping such a polished release in the launch window.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Not when you accept grown adults are (just as) clownish.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Take a look at the present library: new software at native 4K plus stable 60fps are (and will be) a rare sight in one of those systems. This is a fair representation of what every hardware can provide; IO did a great job handling these results.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
First I want to thank the DF guys for all the hard work they put into their content and for painstakingly pointing out all the differences between up to 9 versions of games. Keep up the good work! Highly appreciated!

Second I think with this comparison you can't really draw any conclusion about the XSX and PS5 performance/power difference at all, because the PS5 doesn't drop a single frame an therefore you don't have a defined point of comparison where the relative difference between the two even shows.
For all we know the PS5 MIGHT have still some headroom above 60fps and they just went with 1800p because its the next lower resolution from 2160p that scales nicely.
However, like I said, we will never (?) know because its a solid 1800p/60 accross the board.