• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
3 months is a lot of time in the dev world. Imagine if Cyberpunk had 3 more months of dev time before release.

I'm sure things will continue to get better and better as well.
Consoles came in super hot. The tools and UI was barely done in time, its pretty obvious with the PS5 crashes and quick resume being spotty. A month in dev was maybe all it needed to have a noticeable improvement.
You do realize that games need a stable SDK to release on right? The launch games were built on GDK previews.
I almost posted that 2 months in dev time is very significant in speculation but I didnt in fear of looking stupid for not knowing anything about it lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The new Hitman games have consistently impressed me with their visuals and performance. Glad to seer great results all around. I'll be picking this up on Series X in the future.

I know we're still in the cross gen phase, but I really hope the 60fps trend continues.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
That is where microsoft f-ed up. All the early rumors was that Series S was a 1080p console. Microsoft saw that some games did well at 1440p 30fps and went with 1440p for marketing. Now people are expecting 1440p 60fps?

That's such a weird ass double standard though that nobody holds any other console to.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The real question is if you can see the resolution difference without pixel counting? That I'd like to know.

depends on distance to TV and biggest one being TV size. I mean if you are gaming at 4k on a 27 inch monitor.........eh, not really. But the bigger you go, the more noticeable a resolution difference would make.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is like one of 2 or 3 games that have higher settings on XSX compared to PS5 out of many more that don't... and this thread is embarrassing already.

Both are going to have different games perform better on each.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
User Warned: Console wars
That is where microsoft f-ed up. All the early rumors was that Series S was a 1080p console. Microsoft saw that some games did well at 1440p 30fps and went with 1440p for marketing. Now people are expecting 1440p 60fps?

People are expecting native 4K for XSX and PS5 as well and most of the released games until now are dynamic 4K.

This game obviously lacks Cerny sauce

hehehe
They forgot to activate the hidden RDNA 3 features on PS5.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they can't make a last gen game with extra bells and whistles hit native 2160p on the PS5 port is laughable to say the least.

That's a little harsh. It seems to look and run well on all platforms, mostly hitting it's performance target, which is no small feat. Add to that IO having to fire almost half its staff after leaving SE and becoming independent, before fully staffing up again and I think it's enormously impressive that the game turned out this well. It doesn't seemed to have dipped in graphics or quality at all, while the studio yo-yoed down and up again during development, showing no signs of the turbulent years they went through. That they managed to not only regrow their studio, attain stability and release such a well polished and great looking title on all platforms, demonstrates exactly how talented they are.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You were saying you were waiting for the ssd to show its muscles. Examples were given, then you talk about graphics. What?

Xbox is just as fast......

What advantage did the PS5 have here in hitman? Not the resolution. So clearly it must be the faster loadi-....ohh never mind.

I dunno. Sony was screaming from the rooftops about the ssd. And I have a suspicion Xbox will be nearly as fast on there first party games, maybe like 1 second slower or something. While at the same time, series x can hit 4k no problem.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like one of 2 or 3 games that have higher settings on XSX compared to PS5 out of many more that don't... and this thread is embarrassing already.

When looking at hardware specs, there's no reason the PS5 should really ever outperform the Series X in multiplatform games. Hence why it was so surprising to see launch games not match that expectation. Moving forward, it's not unrealistic to expect the vast majority of multiplat games to continue to look better on Series X.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Oct 27, 2017
I think the funniest thing about these threads is that 99% of us can't tell the visual difference from resolution. I'm not saying it's hard for us to tell, I'm say we CANNOT PHYSICALLY BE SHOWN THE DIFFERENCE.

That's because almost all of our primary Youtube watching devices have either a 1080P or 1440P panel. Or they're smartphones with tiny screens so it's hard to see how it would look on a big 4K TV.

The only three groups that can observe the resolution difference are:

1. Those with a 4K monitor
  2. Those who watch these comparison videos on the Youtube app on their 4K TV
  3. Those who buy both versions of a game for some reason

It makes it funny when you see how upset people get about something they can't see.

Jan 20, 2019

lol.

What advantage did the PS5 have here in hitman? Not the resolution. So clearly it must be the faster loadi-....ohh never mind.

I dunno. Sony was screaming from the rooftops about the ssd. And I have a suspicion Xbox will be nearly as fast on there first party games, maybe like 1 second slower or something.

You are not going to see advantages unless the developer uses it and since we have no 1 party games to compare you are just moving the goal post, lets wait and see before making this types of stantments.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I hope people realize also that this is running on next gen skus and not bc. Again what was stated before in previous df threads, the gen is still early.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Kinda surprised by those differences. That said, both versions are looking mighty fine. There's no need for pointless console war.

Enjoy the game. Hitman 3 looks incredible!

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason why a game wouldn't use dynamic resolution, feels like it would fix Series X dropping frames in that one area and PS5 would probably run above 1800p most of the time

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It's going to vary by game, but if the impact of tooling was true, it's likely that on average future games are going to look better on the Series vs the PS5. We won't know until we see what happens.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason why a game wouldn't use dynamic resolution, feels like it would fix Series X dropping frames in that one area and PS5 would probably run above 1800p most of the time
Probably to keep it locked at 60fps? But it;s weird that stuff like shadows are also of lower quality as well. I wonder if any issues came up during dev time.

Oct 25, 2017
You are not going to see advantages unless the developer uses it and since we have no 1 party games to compare you are just moving the goal post, lets wait and see before making this types of stantments.

Like I said, I'd rather have better resolution/graphics, rather than this SSD that doesn't even do much for the vast majority of games I'm going to play on the system.

Its nice that the load times are short on the 1 first party game a year I'll play though.

I think Sony's hardware priorities were out of whack this generation. They went extreme with the SSD and scarified elsewhere, and I question the advantage of that.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
These ''tools matured'' posts are convenient as fuck, if it took a month or a year for a game to have a noticeable advantage it wouldn't make any difference for the point being right.

Anyway, the game looks, and runs, very clean on all platforms, XSX footage shown in the video is beautiful.
I was skeptical the improvements would be yhis soon too, but alex does believe they have improved already and some ITT think they will improve even further.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
No reason to implement DRS bacause of one section on the XSX and if it won't stay at 4K for most time it's also not worth to implement on PS5.
Just an assumption, of course.

Jan 20, 2019
Like I said, I'd rather have better resolution/graphics, rather than this SSD that doesn't even do much for the vast majority of games I'm going to play on the system.

Its nice that the load times are short on the 1 first party game a year I'll play though.

I think Sony's hardware priorities were out of whack this generation.

Then you can choose the XSX

You dont know if their priorites out of whack because you havent see their software build around it, SSD is not just for loading times.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Some of you really need help LMFAO

Instead of being happy because IOI managed to release Hitman 3 performing really well on 8 platform during the pandemic you are all arguing about resolution and framerate.

Never change.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seem's to run great on everything, which is fantastic.

I want to buy this game for the Series X but I own the first two on PlayStation. What to do, what to do.

Content is king, so I would say Playstation. Double bonus if you have PSVR - Hitman VR seems really cool.

If you only own a PS4 though I would just be wary of load times. I owned Hitman 1 on PS4 and I dropped it because of those loooong load times.
Still waiting for that ps5 ssd to show it's muscles.

Any day now.............

Idk if a cross-gen third-party game is a great indication of the power of the SSD. Games built for PS5 specifically will take more advantage of it.

(I'm speaking generally and not XSX vs PS5 SSD speeds)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think the funniest thing about these threads is that 99% of us can't tell the visual difference from resolution. I'm not saying it's hard for us to tell, I'm say we CANNOT PHYSICALLY BE SHOWN THE DIFFERENCE.

That's because almost all of our primary Youtube watching devices have either a 1080P or 1440P panel. Or they're smartphones with tiny screens so it's hard to see how it would look on a big 4K TV.

The only three groups that can observe the resolution difference are:

1. Those with a 4K monitor
  2. Those who watch these comparison videos on the Youtube app on their 4K TV
  3. Those who buy both versions of a game for some reason

It makes it funny when you see how upset people get about something they can't see.

As a recent (June) 4K TV buyer, I have to say I notice the difference between native 4K and basically anything NOT native 4K. Mainly because I spend most of my time using performance modes over quality modes.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
also once you start watching things at a higher native resolution for a while, you will notice the difference. Especially if you go back to lower resolution monitor

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris

I think Sony's hardware priorities were out of whack this generation. They went extreme with the SSD and scarified elsewhere, and I question the advantage of that.
The difference between XSX and PS5 is very small. Since the lauch of next-gen you are are games are better on PS5 and games are better on XSX and it will be the same during all the generation.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

I dunno. Sony was screaming from the rooftops about the ssd. And I have a suspicion Xbox will be nearly as fast on there first party games, maybe like 1 second slower or something. While at the same time, series x can hit 4k no problem.

SSD is about much more than loading times. It will probably take a while before we get games optimised around the SSD, but when we do we find out how significant or insignificant PS speed advantage is.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It always matters regardless of the narrative. People want their item of choice to be better than the other. It's human nature and it hasn't changed since NES vs Genesis and will not change next-gen either.
Sure, it is just interesting that this just happened in such a short time, the narrative changed now as you said, for obvious reasons.
No worries, it's probably going to be a mess quantifying the pixel count difference with the different DRS/TAA/checkerboarding/DLSS techniques we'll see this generation so it's kind of nice to have a game with a simple locked resolution.
Yes, interesting that they went after fixed resolutions this time. We may have seen higher resolution on ps5 if it was dynamic, and probably no framerate dips on XSX either. I guess they just wanted to have a mostly solid experience at launch, especially with so many versions, and the pandemic. And also VR version. Must been hard to get all in great shape at launch.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When looking at hardware specs, there's no reason the PS5 should really ever outperform the Series X in multiplatform games. Hence why it was so surprising to see launch games not match that expectation. Moving forward, it's not unrealistic to expect the vast majority of multiplat games to continue to look better on Series X.
It's going to vary by game, but if the impact of tooling was true, it's likely that on average future games are going to look better on the Series vs the PS5. We won't know until we see what happens.

It's definitely not. As has been said many times, they have different hardware advantages and some games benefit from one platforms advantages more than others.
Event in this comparison, on a GPU heavy scene XSX drops to low/mid 50-s while PS5 maintains locked 60 with no DRS so there is a clear headroom there for PS5. just like with games performing better on PS5, don't make any conclusions.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
As a recent (June) 4K TV buyer, I have to say I notice the difference between native 4K and basically anything NOT native 4K. Mainly because I spend most of my time using performance modes over quality modes.

I think it would be a fascinating test for DF (or elsewhere) to test resolution, CB techniques or TAA implementation from normal living room viewing distances. Especially considering the growing number of claims from DF about their marginal differences.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it's not noticeable in real life, it's just hard to present that difference to someone viewing a video comparison due to our primary Youtube/streaming video devices either having small screens or resolutions far lower than 4K.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The fact that they can't make a last gen game with extra bells and whistles hit native 2160p on the PS5 port is laughable to say the least. Better wait for proper next-gen showcases.
I don't think it's that easy Play. It looks really good at 1800p and it's 60fps; the most important part IMO. I think you should still purchase it if you were going to on PS5 because you won't notice a difference, being that you are not comparing them under a microscope.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
No need to be a developer to be able to differentiate between next-gen visuals and an embellished last gen game. If you can't do it I don't mind telling you, It's a very unimpressive game from a next-gen graphical perspective.
Duh it's a last gen game, but not all engines are created equally and some things don't scale the way that you'd imagine then to. It's not as simple as clicking the "convert to 4k/60 ultra" button on both platforms