• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Just as we couldnt extrapolate long term trends from launch titles, we also can't reasonably assume this is now going to be normal for every game to have a split like this. They might, but it also might be down to how specific engines and games are designed as to whether they like XSX this much.

Just keep in mind so people don't get annoyed if future games are more even again.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I think 1800p vs 2160p is a tough one to tell, but it depends on the game and what AA is uses.

Sackboy runs at 1620p typically I think and I just assumed that it was somewhere between 1800p/2160p because it looked so clean. That's on a 65 inch screen even when I was literally 1ft away.

In any case, it's still great and not surprising considering that the X in theory is more powerful. Simple.

I think that these threads will always end up becoming toxic and a ultimately being pointless, I don't envy the guys at DF because if they trip up on one word, it can be interpreted as fanboy speak even though they're just supplying the facts.

I'd say I'm disappointed to hear Series S is 1080p/60, but it looks great so, who am i to complain.
Treat it like a 1080p machine, that's what it realistically is. With such a powerful CPU, 1080/60 in as many games as possible is pretty sweet

The fact that they can't make a last gen game with extra bells and whistles hit native 2160p on the PS5 port is laughable to say the least.
Tell me more, armchair dev

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
3840*2160 = 8,294,400 pixels
3200*1800 = 5,760,000 pixels

5,760,000/8,294,400 = 69.4%

As a PS5 owner, I don't want to see people here claiming you can't see a 30% drop in pixel count on a 4k TV, unless you are a decent, decent distance away.

What's a decent distance away though? I would guess most people with 55inch or larger tvs are probably 8+ ft away most of the time unless they live in a smaller apartment or something or their gaming setup isn't in their living room.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
10/12. 1800/2160 83%

Now all of a sudden a slightly better resolution seems to matter again.

Finally a game where XSX shows that extra GPU power.
It always matters regardless of the narrative. People want their item of choice to be better than the other. It's human nature and it hasn't changed since NES vs Genesis and will not change next-gen either.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really good showing across the board. I think this will become the standard in the future, based on the hardware differences. A real push for 60fps on all targets, with 4K on Series X, 1800p on PS5, and 1080p on Series S.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Even at 1800p I expected PS5 to have frame rate troubles at the same field area. As a "Frame rate over Resolution" guy, I have to say I'm very pleased with PS5s results

Nebuzel

Oct 27, 2017
The drops in the Mendoza level were interesting, and I have to wonder if the PS5 not dropping there was due to the increased GPU clock speed? Stuff like that will probably be the most interesting thing over this generation, seeing which systems have minute advantages over certain areas and why. Also the Series S version looks pretty good. I think this is the first Series S game that really shows the power of the box

Digital Foundry pretty much said it is probably because of the lower 3200x1800 resolution on PS5 that the small frame dip was cleaned up. They also said it probably wasn't worth dropping the resolution in that one map or utilizing dynamic resolution since it basically happened only in that one area in the brush and frame drops were extremely negligible and non-apparent in the gameplay elsewhere.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Nice to see Xbox Series X hitting 4K60. Honestly, given the density of Hitman levels and how good this game already looks, it'd be interesting to see what these new consoles could pull off with something along the lines of DLSS. I mean, would you just end up with something like this playing at an even higher frame rate, or would devs manage to still become increasingly more ambitious in terms of detail and interactivity within environments? Either way, very exciting.
With the jump in CPU a next-gen Hitman would be crazy even without a DLSS-like, IOI will be able to bring a lot of shit to the table in the future.
Unfortunately we will have to wait a while for it, fortunately it is because of 007!

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Series S version having performance parity with the X
giphy.gif

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I believe 1600p-1800p will be a nice sweet spot for PS5 games and even Xbox Series X. Native 4K looks very nice but is costly. 1800p looks nearly as good as native 4k and would be more stable for many games.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Era after Digital Foundry gives an advantage on PS5 for 10 games :

"Meh... something seems wrong... probably just a bug"

Era after Digital Foundry gives an advantage on Xbox for 1 game :

"See... Xbox is the superior console as expected, now move away..."

Ahh yes the well known era xbox bias 🙄

It's a good looking and enjoyable game on all consoles, can't we just be happy with that?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Puts a smile on my face to see the little XSS still beast through with 60fps gameplay. Looks like a great game performance wise on all consoles. Crossing my fingers for more 1800P 60fps games when current gen only games come out.
XSS still maintaining 60fps is amazing. You cant beat that at $300
Really good showing across the board. I think this will become the standard in the future, based on the hardware differences. A real push for 60fps on all targets, with 4K on Series X, 1800p on PS5, and 1080p on Series S.
This to me is the main seller, that they are FINALLY putting a priority on reaching beyond that silly 30 barrier for all the new consoles more seriously and not just driving and fighting games.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe 1600p-1800p will be a nice sweet spot for PS5 games and even Xbox Series X. Native 4K looks very nice but is costly. 1800p looks nearly as good as native 4k and would be more stable for many games.
Yes, moving forward I see the majority of real, true, next-gen looking games that were built for next-gen from the ground up to be running at sub-native 4K.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All three versions looks clean as fuck.

Just glad we won't be getting those hot takes on the series x which we saw before. Too many posts were suggesting there was something amiss with the hardware.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Just here for the Series S performance. I already have an X but really want to grab an S for my office, where I have a 1920x1200 monitor. The concept of the system is really growing on me as time goes by.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Era after Digital Foundry gives an advantage on PS5 for 10 games :

"Meh... something seems wrong... probably just a bug"

Era after Digital Foundry gives an advantage on Xbox for 1 game :

"See... Xbox is the superior console as expected, now move away..."
Uhh theres been plenty of acknowledgment here that various PS5 games have outperformed Series X and that 'Cerny was right, yadda yadda'. This Hitman 3 performance gap is notable and certainly warrants discussion. We'll see if this is a trend due to devs getting more comfortable with the Xbox's GDK or just an outlier.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
damn, no 4k for the ps5 is kinda shitty. Hopefully it doesn't become a thing going forward.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
People may be making jokes about the tools getting better here - but I have Heard that build performance has indeed increased over time since launch on XSX. GPU Compiler and Stuff can be pretty important for GPU Performance!

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Only now I noticed this while reading, if these results are maintained through the game it would be impressive, 60FPS on PS4 PRO?
Hitman 3 dispenses with all of this, delivering a flat 60fps performance level on all systems and with no need to choose between quality and performance modes. This time around, last-gen systems are pegged to 30fps instead, with the curious exception of PS4 Pro, which also offers what IO describes as a 1080p60 'frame interpolated' option.
The push to 60fps does set the next-gen consoles apart, but PS4 Pro's curious 1080p60 mode is a fascinating outlier. We've not put a huge amount of time into it, but it works well in the Dubai stage, running almost flawlessly

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Good for all consoles. I'm still wondering if I should get this game though. Never played Hitman.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
People may be making jokes about the tools getting better here - but I have Heard that build performance has indeed increased over time since launch on XSX. GPU Compiler and Stuff can be pretty important for GPU Performance!
Should be one hell of a generation, hoping 60fps stays the standard (with 120 whenever possible).

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Was just a matter of time before the Series X starts to show the extra firepower. I still the PS5 will win out in certain one-off edge-cases, but the vast majority of cases will turn out more or less like this.

They are the same in like 10 cases the one comes along and the conclusion is "the majority of cases will be like this". Based on what?

These consoles will preform the same throughout the generation, with one pulling ahead over the other depending on the game.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the tools have matured. Moving forward I think we can expect another Xbone X and PS4 Pro level difference between the consoles.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really didn't play much of the first game or any of the second but seeing the levels in this makes me want to jump into it. Pretty sure I own the first game on PC so maybe I should start that one.