• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry have agreed to not publish Elden Ring performance analysis before the day one patch Rumor

Shadow of the Colossus released on PS2 with a framerate that frequently went into the teens, but that didn’t stop it from becoming the best game of all-time. I’d take a once-in-a-generation game with a dodgy framerate over a perfectly performing assembly line sequel anyday, and I’m sure most...
look at this narc /s

I'm not DEFENDING anything, I'm just saying it's not the big issue some of y'all are making it out to be. The "It's not acceptable" and "HOW DARE THEY TREAT US LIKE THIS" takes are deranged. It's got a dodgy framerate, it's a bit of a bummer. It's not the end of the world, it can and should still review very well if the game is great.

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry have agreed to not publish Elden Ring performance analysis before the day one patch Rumor

Shadow of the Colossus released on PS2 with a framerate that frequently went into the teens, but that didn’t stop it from becoming the best game of all-time. I’d take a once-in-a-generation game with a dodgy framerate over a perfectly performing assembly line sequel anyday, and I’m sure most...
Does that really qualify as a "defense force"?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Which is Elden Ring? From the write up it sounded like was the former and often hitting 45
I'll transcribe the video at ~12min.

Just walking through grass keeps it wavering at the mid to high 50s. Fast travel by horseback [...] pushes it down to 45fps.
This probably tracks with my experience because I did not enjoy horseback and did not spend a lot of time on it. I wonder if the lower fps contributed to that.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
It is amazing how quickly we jump on one thing and assume a completely broken game. The issue in that stream looks more like a memory bug as opposed to specifically the frame rate dropping.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is he online maybe...looks like offline is the way to go for now...it shouldnt be I know but that doesnt look like the game,it looks like a network problem in the game... ?
Oh, I haven't been following this stuff. Is that what people are assuming is the issue?

It's a shitty issue to have, especially in a From Software game, but I'm more than willing to play it offline if it makes it playable.

It is amazing how quickly we jump on one thing and assume a completely broken game. The issue in that stream looks more like a memory bug as opposed to specifically the frame rate dropping.
?????????????????????????

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit this looks terrible.

urprised-troybarnes.gif

please, ps5, pleeeeease don't be doing this

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It happening at all with a huge streamer like that paints it in a terrible light. Common or not...it's a thing.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Thanks, so one person had a bad take (and they didn't even state that they are talking about the PC version).

I was promised a defense force.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Oh jeez. That's not stutters, that's full on locking up. That's no shader or streaming issue, since it's in a boss room.

Hopefully trusty patches will do good work over the next few weeks.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
That kind of stutter makes a game pretty unplayable to be honest. Usually game performance is taken into account when reviewing, obviously Elden Ring is the exception. Those scores looking stranger every minute newer footage comes out.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I did, I don't see people defending it, feel free to link the post ids and I will check them out.
Now.... yes, no one is defending it. Would be stupid to. There are some still talking about the known work arounds or saying tuff like well its FS as if that were aceptable.

Before now, when this was just about DF review being based on a patch that fixes issues we would never experience when playing it, it was a totally different matter when people like me were saying generalized performance/bug fixing day 1 patches shouldn't even be acceptable. And devs or publishers should be called out on that. Gamers shouldn't be tasked to have to download a patch just to get a good experience on the game they just purchased or in even extreme cases like this one, have to play the last-gen version of the game on their current-gen hardware or have/get a display that supports VRR. Things like this, should NEVER be allowed to make it past QA.

I said as much in page 6 of this thread and for the next like 5-10 pages after that was in heated debates about how I am being unreasonable because game development is hard, all games have bugs, and everyone can install a patch....etc

Clearly, I am salty about this, not because I felt I was picked on per se... but because I feel that it's that kinda complacent/dismissive/accepting behavior that means the change or attention that needs to go into these things for them to stop... doesn't go into it.

So now, no one is saying anything, cause they can't come and say, well just get internet to download the patch and dismiss it. Now its stupid to say, well just buy it on PS4 and play it on PS5 or just get a TV that has VRR.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
At LEAST I think that this issue in Cohh's video is bad enough that they will definitely address it in patches.. It's the small annoying hindrances that I worry will go on unaddressed. (I'm not referencing anything specific, just in general.)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This thread has veered far off of Digital Foundry and doesn't need to continue when the OT is available for all of this content's discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.