• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly makes sense. And as mentioned in the tweet, a day one patch isn't necessarily released at launch.

The day one patch version of the game is the version we'll all be playing. Running an in-depth analysis on the performance of a version of the game their audience won't be playing doesn't make much sense. Honestly, the only reason I'd be interested in something like that is to see how much of an improvement these day 1 patches actually are.

Also, Bloodborne runs like shit on PS5 and is still arguably the best From Software game.

Last edited:

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Pretty clear sign that the game is coming in hot. Given the whole security issue on PC as well, I'll probably just wait and see how it shakes out.

Feels like it's never worth buying a big game at launch anymore. Forbidden West seems to have had a good launch though.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
That bad? I don't think they'd have to go out of their way otherwise since many other AAAs don't do this

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly makes sense. And as mentioned in the tweet, a day one patch isn't necessarily released at launch.

The day one patch version of the game is the version we'll all be playing. Running an in-depth analysis on the performance of a version of the game their audience won't be playing doesn't make much sense. Honestly, the only reason I'd be interested in something like that is to see how much of an improvement these day 1 patches actually are.

Also, Bloodborne runs like shit on PS5 and is still arguably the best From Software game.
Bloodborne isn't the best anything looking and running how it does imo.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is this an issue? Do people want in depth analysis of a game in a state that no one will play because itll be patched before anyone plays it? Not a huge issue to wait a couple days to purchase if you're that worried about performance, and there'll be less in depth analysis/impressions from the moment the game is released. You'll know if there are MAJOR issues out the gate regardless of a 20 minute video being available.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
If the day one patch addresses performance issues, why would any of you expect anything different? I'm confused.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always funny when people have to invent some guy who lives alone in a lighthouse without internet and then procede to worry what the performance that the fake person will have.

Then that person will post on ERA bitching about game performance while piggy backing off wifi from a restaurant a mile away.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I don't have any issue with this. It's something that makes complete sense that is being run through the internet knee-jerk-worst-case-hyperbole machine.

Post day-one is how the vast majority of people will be playing the game. It seems like a waste of DF's time and energy to do an early performance video that is only going to be applicable for a day or two at most. Anyone who has played any open world game on day 1 (or earlier) should know how it goes by now.

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of the validity of the decision, the optics of hiding performance up until release aren't too great. By that I mean Bamco, not DF.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think they likely often do, it just depends on when the Day 1 patch is ready. Its often available to them far enough in advance that they can still go ahead and do their reviews and videos in time.

They absolutely do. That Horizon footage? All from the day 1 patch. Made a massive difference to resolution in performance mode

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Does the 50 gig download include the day one patch? I am guessing that will come later in the week before Friday then.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Seems fair.

But I am genuinely curious how much of a shitshow it is without the patch lol.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
I have no issues with this, as it is ultimately the version that people will be playing.

What I will say though, is that it's kind of bad form if they don't do this for every game that has a day one patch. Elden Ring shouldn't get preferential treatment if it's not the norm for them to do this.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody is complaining about not getting a performance review of the build without the day one patch.
People are complaining that that day one patch seems to have a significant impact on performance and is coming in so hot, that they can't rely on early analysis videos to decide on which platform the game runs the best so they can make an informed purchase decision while still being able to nab the pre-order bonus...
At least that's me...

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
So you're telling me the performance analysis is going to be based on a build I will actually see and not a build I'll never touch? How crazy.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
People saying they're ditching the PC version in favour of consoles for performance reasons feels like bizarro world.

I wish I had that option though. I haven't been able to buy a PS5. They won't even let me pre-order in stores. I don't even care how long it takes for stock to show up, just put my name down a list so I'm not forced to compete against bots and scalpers. It's quite frustrating and I'm pretty close to ditching consoles altogether.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with that as long it is happening for all developers...Days Gone and Andromeda got destroyed (not talking for DF) before day one patch.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
You can watch Asmongold's stream or other footage and see. It's not a shit show at all. It has some stuttering issues in some parts. That's what they're trying to fix.

Knowing Fromsoft, I am pretty sure that there are areas in the game (which were not part of the footage release or played by streamers) where the frame rate must be an absolute shit show. Hopefully the day 1 patch fixes that.

I would be interested to listen to them talk about the pre patch and post patch difference.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a problem. I would want them to analyze the game we will all be playing but I will say that should be the precedent going forward because there are games that got penalized before day 1 patch was applied.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Regardless of the validity of the decision, the optics of hiding performance up until release aren't too great. By that I mean Bamco, not DF.

What "hiding"? There was two quite public betas with vast numbers of youtubers posting footage. DF even did an analysis of the performance during the beta tests.

Bamco/From have done the opposite of hiding.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People saying they're ditching the PC version in favour of consoles for performance reasons feels like bizarro world.

I wish I had that option though. I haven't been able to buy a PS5. They won't even let me pre-order in stores. I don't even care how long it takes for stock to show up, just put my name down a list so I'm not forced to compete against bots and scalpers. It's quite frustrating and I'm pretty close to ditching consoles altogether.
If you haven't already, signing up for the Sony Direct is probably your best bet. That's essentially what it is. You put your name on the list and move up as stock becomes available.

The line waiting is much more pleasant(stock is supposed to match the number of invites, 1 per person) after a year of trying other ways it was a godsend to just get an email saying I'm up, showing up at the time online, pressing the button, waiting a few minutes, ordering, and a few days later it was at my door.

Last edited:

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I was gonna wait for their video before buying anyway, hope it runs well on my 1060, if not I'll gladly wait until it's been patched a bit.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It looks like I'll be skipping launch and wait to see some streamers play it.

Too many game released completely broken, even after the day 1 patch. From the biggest studios in the world. Better be cautious.

Alfador

Feb 15, 2022
It looks like I'll be skipping launch and wait to see some streamers play it.

Too many game released completely broken, even after the day 1 patch. From the biggest studios in the world. Better be cautious.

You can watch some PC footage right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FaatSp_xFw&ab_channel=AsmongoldLive

www.youtube.com

Asmongold first reaction to Elden Ring's NEW Mount Feature

Asmongold Clips / Asmongold Reacts To: Asmongold tries elden ring new mounts for the first time► Stay Connected with Asmongold:► Asmongold's Main YouTube Cha...

Overall it looks great. I saw the frame rate dropping when he was fighting the Tree Sentinel, that's the only time I noticed a problem.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
If you haven't already, signing up for the Sony Direct is probably your best bet. That's essentially what it is. You put your name on the list and move up as stock becomes available.

The line waiting is much more pleasant(stock is supposed to match the number of invites, 1 per person) after a year of trying other ways it was a godsend to just get an email saying I'm up, showing up at the time online, pressing the button, waiting a few minutes, ordering, and a few days later it was at my door.
Cheers for the heads up. I wasn't aware of this.

Edit: I just noticed it's not available in Australia. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.