• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I really don't find it sad and dissapointing. I ordered a PS5 and all the stuff I read today only confirmed to me how awful this whole PS5 Sony campaigne really was. Being quite and arrogant for nearly 1.5years then teasing the shit out of your console and at the end having the more awful console. Yes PS5 got the exclusive game(Demon Soul) but nothing else. The controller is the only highllight, it seems. The XBSX has quick resume and even the faster SSD(remeber all the Sony fans telling people the PS5 will have the faster SSD) And not even comparing the UI. Xbox ugraded and grew and Sony changed shit and made stuff more complicated and even forgot stuff. I'm just hugely dissapointed in this mess of next gen premiere of console fan hyping.
At the end it's tech with big fan bases and it will always be like that. And one cosole was transparent with fans and gives them a lot and the other got Demon Souls(Remake)

Ha Ha Ha This has to be the most comical rambling I have seen in a while.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Both consoles sound great!

Stop bickering about shit that doesn't matter and enjoy them you silly warriors!

Only 13 more days to go!

Choo choo motherfuckers!

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
They say you can store PS5 games on external drive, but others say you can't. I wish Sony would just say yay or nay and let us know.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I really don't find it sad and dissapointing. I ordered a PS5 and all the stuff I read today only confirmed to me how awful this whole PS5 Sony campaigne really was. Being quite and arrogant for nearly 1.5years then teasing the shit out of your console and at the end having the more awful console. Yes PS5 got the exclusive game(Demon Soul) but nothing else. The controller is the only highllight, it seems. The XBSX has quick resume and even the faster SSD(remeber all the Sony fans telling people the PS5 will have the faster SSD) And not even comparing the UI. Xbox ugraded and grew and Sony changed shit and made stuff more complicated and even forgot stuff. I'm just hugely dissapointed in this mess of next gen premiere of console fan hyping.
At the end it's tech with big fan bases and it will always be like that. And one cosole was transparent with fans and gives them a lot and the other got Demon Souls(Remake)
That's one take I guess. I hope this is sarcasm...
ave you watched any Astro's Playroom and Miles Morales videos? Those games are loading in 1-3 seconds.
Miles Morales loads longer than 1-3 seconds. Way longer when staring the game. If you meant loading a save or fast travel than that's 2-4 seconds.

://youtu.be/8HqRlA255D8

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017

Lol. Wtf is this post.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
SO excited! Sounds like Sony pretty much nailed it. I can't wait to play Demon's Souls, Astrobot and Sackboy next week! I might jump back in and finish Ghosts of Tsushima too.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
XSX does not have a faster SSD.
PS5 is missing a few features and some optimizations that will likely be patched in, in the next few months.

By and large both consoles are incredible.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Miles Morales loads longer than 1-3 seconds. Way longer when staring the game. If you meant loading a save or fast travel than that's 2-4 seconds.

I was referring to Digital Foundry's tests. 4 seconds to boot the game, and 1 second to load from menu. Time-stamped below. Presumably loading from an Activity Card will be somewhere in between.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

This post will be copy/pasted a lot in the future, lmao.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I was referring to Digital Foundry's tests. 4 seconds to boot the game, and 1 second to load from menu. Time-stamped below. Presumably loading from an Activity Card will be somewhere in between.

Why are there differences? But I take back what I said then. The loading shown in the DF analyses is even crazier than the loading in the other video.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that thermal paste holds up!

It's doesn't use thermal paste, it uses liquid metal, so provided the application process was sound (Sony believes it was, and has supposedly tested it for 2 years), it will never dry or degrade the way thermal paste can or does.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So I guess I'm a bit more optimistic about PS5 not being a jet engine but I'm not entirely convinced. Let's see what people say a year down the road.

Some PS4 hardware reviews from 2013:

Even more impressive is how quiet and relatively cool the PS4 remains throughout hours of use. Although by no means silent, the PS4's noise profile never seems to exceed a gentle hum, even when running the most GPU-taxing titles. When placed on the entertainment center eight feet from my couch, it was hard to even notice.

---

For the most part, the PS4 runs quietly and only gets somewhat warm while in operation, though not so hot you need to be alarmed. The only time you'll find fault with Sony's next-gen box is when initially loading up disc-based games. The console's disc drive ramps up so loudly that you'd be forgiven for mistaking this for the noisy superslim PS3. Every whir, click and spin can be heard, but thankfully, it's only momentary. The PS4 installs all the game data (for faster loading) the first time you insert a disc, so these noise disturbances should be few and far between.

---

The figures sound meaty but the reality is that PlayStation 4 remains fairly discreet throughout general gaming - easily quieter than a launch PS3 overall, but not quite as unobtrusive as the latest PS3 Super Slim model (when its Blu-ray drive is inactive, at least). Only when you run a game and then move to the menus does the system start to kick out some serious heat. We measured 50-degrees Celsius venting from the rear (better out than in, we say) with the casing itself heating up to 45 degrees - that's approaching launch PS3 territory.

We ran a series of tests using an infra-red thermometer that we pointed at the "hot spot" area on the casing, where temperatures were consistently at their highest. We also used a basic noise meter to get an idea of the loudness of the system. Conditions weren't totally ideal - ambient noise was 40dB, but the impact of the fans was lessened considerably just one metre off and barely noticeable at all at three metres. The 'close' measurement is a literally a case of measuring the noise direct from the fan exhaust, where the PS4 is likely to be at its noisiest.

Tested in a level, 23 degrees Celsius environment, the PlayStation 4 proved to be absolutely fine, with perfectly acceptable noise when playing just 1m away from the console and a very quiet experience indeed with the console 3m away. Our only concern is how things may stack up for those living in hot countries where the ambient temperature will be a lot higher, or how the hardware will perform in the summer months. Certainly, the notion of a game running simultaneously with the UI causing a surge in power consumption is very strange indeed and hopefully something that can be addressed with a firmware update.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I think because the focus last gen was the jump in fidelity, which is kinda the easiest thing to perceive from a third-person perspective. Whereas this time, there's an equal focus on increasing framerate / effects, which don't lend themselves as immediately to a before/after contrast as a third-party observer.
That's actually a good point. This just leads to a more "Quality of life " upgrade to me, not a bad thing tho.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess I'm a bit more optimistic about PS5 not being a jet engine but I'm not entirely convinced. Let's see what people say a year down the road.

I just think that some PS4s were quiet, while others were loud. I had an OG PS4 that was loud, and a Pro that was even louder (ridiculously louder)

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

Even more impressive is how quiet and relatively cool the PS4 remains throughout hours of use. Although by no means silent, the PS4's noise profile never seems to exceed a gentle hum, even when running the most GPU-taxing titles. When placed on the entertainment center eight feet from my couch, it was hard to even notice.

---

For the most part, the PS4 runs quietly and only gets somewhat warm while in operation, though not so hot you need to be alarmed. The only time you'll find fault with Sony's next-gen box is when initially loading up disc-based games. The console's disc drive ramps up so loudly that you'd be forgiven for mistaking this for the noisy superslim PS3. Every whir, click and spin can be heard, but thankfully, it's only momentary. The PS4 installs all the game data (for faster loading) the first time you insert a disc, so these noise disturbances should be few and far between.

---

The figures sound meaty but the reality is that PlayStation 4 remains fairly discreet throughout general gaming - easily quieter than a launch PS3 overall, but not quite as unobtrusive as the latest PS3 Super Slim model (when its Blu-ray drive is inactive, at least). Only when you run a game and then move to the menus does the system start to kick out some serious heat. We measured 50-degrees Celsius venting from the rear (better out than in, we say) with the casing itself heating up to 45 degrees - that's approaching launch PS3 territory.
We ran a series of tests using an infra-red thermometer that we pointed at the "hot spot" area on the casing, where temperatures were consistently at their highest. We also used a basic noise meter to get an idea of the loudness of the system. Conditions weren't totally ideal - ambient noise was 40dB, but the impact of the fans was lessened considerably just one metre off and barely noticeable at all at three metres. The 'close' measurement is a literally a case of measuring the noise direct from the fan exhaust, where the PS4 is likely to be at its noisiest.
Tested in a level, 23 degrees Celsius environment, the PlayStation 4 proved to be absolutely fine, with perfectly acceptable noise when playing just 1m away from the console and a very quiet experience indeed with the console 3m away. Our only concern is how things may stack up for those living in hot countries where the ambient temperature will be a lot higher, or how the hardware will perform in the summer months. Certainly, the notion of a game running simultaneously with the UI causing a surge in power consumption is very strange indeed and hopefully something that can be addressed with a firmware update.
Yes, there were games coming many years later that significantly raised the power consumption above their prediction models, and was reaching into the fan's built in safety margins.

In Road to PS5, Mark Cerny took a good 15 minutes explaining why this cannot happen with the PS5. It's a different thermal design philosophy.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why are there differences? But I take back what I said then. The loading shown in the DF analyses is even crazier than the loading in the other video.

Seems they start counting at slightly different points.

The title->game load and reloads are the bigger story here though IMO. Circa one second is insanely fast. I wouldn't expect every game to be like that - I don't think Astro is even that fast - but it shows what's possible if, like I'm guessing Insomniac did, you really knuckle down on the loading/streaming. I wonder what Spiderman activity loads are like, from the UI.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it will be a quiet machine, I am untrusting after dealing with my Ps4Pro lawnmower

The alternative is to hive off your legacy titles to an external USB drive, and to shuttle your PS5-specific games to and from the drive should you manage to fill up primary storage.

At this point, pretty sure this is not accurate. It is important to clarify for anyone purchasing an external drive for this reason

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 has the faster SSD, kid.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I just think that some PS4s were quiet, while others were loud. I had an OG PS4 that was loud, and a Pro that was even louder (ridiculously louder)

Same here. That's why, despite a bad case of fomo, I'm going to wait this one out. I've been burned badly with my last few console purchases (PS4, PS4 Pro, Switch, Xbox One) which all had improved revisions release that are just straight up better hardware.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I wonder if there will be a day 1 update or something. It seems like impressions regarding media apps and such are still under embargo. Maybe VRR will be added then. Or maybe not.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

---

---

My launch PS4 still works like this. I've only had to clean out its dust maybe 3-4 times in the 7 years I've had it to keep that up. There is the odd issue with some games' menus causing high fans though.

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
Bookmarked for future fun.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there will be a day 1 update or something. It seems like impressions regarding media apps and such are still under embargo. Maybe VRR will be added then. Or maybe not.

Hard to tell.

According to Easy Allies, some stuff like the store, and PS+/PSNow integration are definitely subject to change by launch, and thus they're not allowed to talk about those things just yet. But maybe these things can be updated from the backend rather than needing new firmware? But if they do require an update, maybe some other tweaks might be bundled in too. I expect that largely what's reported today is the day one experience though.

Jun 23, 2019

This is a genuine meltdown, good grief.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
My launch PS4 still works like this. I've only had to clean out its dust maybe 3-4 times in the 7 years I've had it to keep that up. There is the odd issue with some games' menus causing high fans though.

Yeah some PS4's are better and some are worse. It was a bit of a lottery at least until one or two revisions or a slim redesign were released. Thankfully Digital Foundry will keep track of this throughout the upcoming generation. I'll probably be able to make an informed decision by this time next year.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You know you can cancel your preorder.

Brocky120

Banned
Feb 6, 2020

---

---

PS4 was based on unknown power limits, PS5 is not.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

The XSX doesn't have the faster SSD, BC is not how you can judge SSD speed and even there it depends of the title.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
On a side note, much has been made about PS5's variable clockspeeds which can downclock in the rare event that a game hits the PS5's power limit.

Given the PS5 has a 350w power supply, efficiency etc aside, if the highest peak power usage Digital Foundry tested was 200w, I think it's fair to say games hitting the PS5's power limit, isn't likely to be a common thing lol.

this is good, and I'm happy to hear it. Saw a lot of fear and uncertainty around it, on twitter mostly. you should add it to the OP as part of a your thoughts section.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017

I have a day 1 PS4 and the last couple of years it's been a jet engine, I ended up taking it apart to replace the thermal paste and the stuff that was there from the factory was basically non existent. Once it had some new paste it went back to being pretty quiet. All thermal paste needs replacing eventually especially in a system that gets hot a lot, so the PS5 having liquid metal makes me much more confident it will stay quiet.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
The XSX does not have a faster SSD, the SSD speeds in backwards compatibility are not even properly utilizing the tech.
This ain't Reddit kid.
Please, report and move on.
what the hell are you talking about? XBSX has the quicker SSD?
giphy.gif
This take surely is something. The PS5's SSD IS faster, lol. Using BC loading to say otherwise is ridiculous.
Have you watched any Astro's Playroom and Miles Morales videos? Those games are loading in 1-3 seconds. As is NBA2K21 and Demon's Souls on the PS5. I wouldn't base your loading time impressions solely on BC stuff, which is often inconsistent on both systems and not properly optimised to the advantage of the faster loading.
is this the new shot themselves in the foot
Ha Ha Ha This has to be the most comical rambling I have seen in a while.

Lol. Wtf is this post.
XSX does not have a faster SSD.
PS5 is missing a few features and some optimizations that will likely be patched in, in the next few months.

By and large both consoles are incredible.
This post will be copy/pasted a lot in the future, lmao.
The PS5 has the faster SSD, kid.
Bookmarked for future fun.
This is a genuine meltdown, good grief.
Did you read a different article?

MY BAD EVERYBODY.....I'M SORRY

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017

It reads like a modern version of Square shot themselves in the foot..