• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This was a great video by Alex. It'll be interesting to see how long and if the things he called out will be fixed and how that work translates to CEA, 2A, 3/ODST and 4.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem for me is the audio, it heavily detracts from the experience in my opinion. I played two hours a couple days ago, and the game feels and looks great, and it's definitely way better at 60 fps than 30, but that weird distant gun shot sound just kills it for me. It's also really hard to hear the characters when they speak during gameplay, it just sounds so off in terms of the entire mix.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an ETA for fixes?

Not yet.

Here is the last development update from November.

On the audio side of things, they're working on it. They had to rebuild the audio engine for Xbox One and PC which resulted in sounds being muffled but it's something they're looking into and hopefully we'll get the blog post detailing the audio issues soon.

Their VFR implementation (framerates above 60) that Dictator called out has gone through some different iterations, and in the flight before launch it was a mess, so hopefully they continue work on that end of the engine for PC players.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sure hope they fix this mess game is shelved because of the terrible audio.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
The PC version not having an internal resolution scaler that goes past 100% is a bummer as well as no AF and no motion blur toggle. Thrilled to be playing Halo again on PC, but it's real barebones

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
still didn't fix the mouse at above 60fps

so much for having those issues dealt with in the internal flights

i haven't downloaded it yet even though i have game pass so i'll hold off for now

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Really great video and hopefully with Alex and DF highlighting these issues they can get some fixes in for them.

Just quick mention about something in the video. Dictator when you use the coloured bar on the left to indicate the frames - when the colours were changing rapidly - it was setting off my mild epilepsy. I had to look away and skip a bit. Maybe a warning or something if others might be sensitive?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Really great video and hopefully with Alex and DF highlighting these issues they can get some fixes in for them.

Just quick mention about something in the video. Dictator when you use the coloured bar on the left to indicate the frames - when the colours were changing rapidly - it was setting off my mild epilepsy. I had to look away and skip a bit. Maybe a warning or something if others might be sensitive?
I will add a warning in the description , sorry about that

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The game just feels like a stuttery mess at 60 and 144 fps for me. Really disappointed with this port.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised Reach isn't getting a more heat for how underwhelming the port has been, especially after the wait and fiasco of MCC.

The audio is honestly terrible, it amazes me anyone can claim they didn't notice how bad it is. The entire game seems to be severely lacking in options. PC has virtually no graphics to change, there's no option to scale above 100% and there's zero UI customisation.

As mentioned in the video that game doesn't function properly at all above 60fps, and even on the 1X it's not locked 60fps which I thought would be a shoe in.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Most of these positives aren't positives. PP effects not scaling with resolution properly isnt clearly summarised.

Summary:

The Positives:

- MCC version targets 60 FPS On all platforms (XBO, XBX) and everything animates correctly. (target, see actual performance data)
- Can sometimes suffer from Non-Linear motion in camera pans. Alex goes into great detail on this in the video.
- LoD fade can also occur at lower than 60 FPS.
- Original Reach: 1152x720p with TAA.
- XBO: 1080p, XBX: 2160p with standard post process AA. No TAA.
- PC has 21 : 9 support during game play but cut-scenes draw 16 : 9 pillar boxes.
- All versions have low AF (even PC which can be remedied by forcing AF using your GPU control panel)
- XBX/XBO do not have the "Enhanced" graphics setting from PC so LoD etc are same as original 360 Reach.
- On PC, the Enhanced graphics setting pushes out LoD so you don't have visible fade-in or obvious low LoD objects in distance.
- Real time shadows also benefit from higher resolution.

The Negatives:

- Post Process (SSAO, Bloom, DoF etc) don't scale with system resolution.
- Higher Resolution can eliminate DOF's artistic effects. Same for SSAO and bloom.
- PC/XBO/XBX's higher resolution turns SSAO nearly invisible at close ranges.
- Bloom also impacted the higher your resolution goes.
- MCC/PC versions cut out Motion Blur completely.
- The audio mixing for guns is also not right. Too muffled and lower in volume with different reverb.
- Some users have also reported crashes.

Performance:

- XBX: By far 60 FPS with only some drops in areas where the game is loading.
- XBS: Same as above but areas with loading or streaming can drop to mid 40's to 60.
- XBX does a good job hitting 60 FPS, XBS has a hard time maintaining it.
- Input latency during co-op also mentioned.
- On PC, most rigs should be able to hit 60 FPS with only some drops at checkpoints.
- At above 60 FPS, all animations still run at 60 FPS
- At 120 FPS the mouse also has non-linear motion problems. You will have better input latency, but it will not be linear/correct.
- The same applies for character animations.
- Alex doesn't recommend playing the game above 60 FPS for now.
By this point you'd think MCC releases would launch pretty much spot on before release but fuck it. Fix it later.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
I was expecting a much more polished launch after all the flight they had (and the lack of complains online) that's disappointing.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It unfortunately crashes for me as soon as I press "enter" on the title screen

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Audio muffing is annoying. I had to put subtitles on to understand what some characters are saying.

Problem is that only the cut scenes have subtitles, at least on PC.
I think Alex also forgot to mention pc doesn't have hdr.
I'm surprised that this wasn't mentioned.
All those scenes with bright highlights on the suits and PC players can't enjoy them in HDR. Disappointing.
Feels like we're back to old titles like FH 3 where also only the Xbox version was in HDR.
Well, at least it makes my choice easier to play on the PC monitor.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I think that Alex also did not mention HDR not being available in pc version of A Plague Tale.
Does he own a HDR screen? If not, let's chip in and buy him a c9 :) .
I absolutely adore his videos, btw. I know that HDR support is not that good on pc monitors, so that might explain why HDR does not get much attention.