• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018

courtesy of chandoog

Summary:

The Positives:

- MCC version targets 60 FPS On all platforms (XBO, XBX) and everything animates correctly.
- Can sometimes suffer from Nin-Linear motion in camera pans. Alex goes into great detail on this in the video.
- LoD fade can also occur at lower than 60 FPS.
- Original Reach: 1152x720p with TAA.
- XBO: 1080p, XBX: 2160p with standard post process AA. No TAA.
- PC has 21 : 9 support during game play but cut-scenes draw 16 : 9 pillar boxes.
- All versions have low AF (even PC which can be remedied by forcing AF using your GPU control panel)
- XBX/XBO do not have the "Enhanced" graphics setting from PC so LoD etc are same as original 360 Reach.
- On PC, the Enhanced graphics setting pushes out LoD so you don't have visible fade-in or obvious low LoD objects in distance.
- Real time shadows also benefit from higher resolution.

The Negatives:

- Post Process (SSAO, Bloom, DoF etc) scale with system resolution.
- Higher Resolution can eliminate DOF's artistic effects. Same for SSAO and bloom.
- PC/XBO/XBX's higher resolution turns SSAO nearly invisible at close ranges.
- Bloom also impacted the higher your resolution goes.
- MCC/PC versions cut out Motion Blur completely.
- The audio mixing for guns is also not right. Too muffled and lower in volume with different reverb.
- Some users have also reported crashes.

Performance:

- XBX: By far 60 FPS with only some drops in areas where the game is loading.
- XBS: Same as above but areas with loading or streaming can drop to mid 40's to 60.
- XBX does a good job hitting 60 FPS, XBS has a hard time maintaining it.
- Input latency during co-op also mentioned.
- On PC, most rigs should be able to hit 60 FPS with only some drops at checkpoints.
- At above 60 FPS, all animations still run at 60 FPS
- At 120 FPS the mouse also has non-linear motion problems. You will have better input latency, but it will not be linear/correct.
- The same applies for character animations.
- Alex doesn't recommend playing the game above 60 FPS for now.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Wonder what kind of issues. For a change it be nice if a game releases and there just aren't issues to speak of. Especially when it's a game that has been released years ago. But maybe that's one of the reasons for issues.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Curious what issues there are. Finished through it on my X yesterday and it was very smooth the whole way through.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
The only issues I've had are audio being a bit jank sometimes (like outta sync or some sounds not really playing on occassion) and the matchmaking being broken.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Not playing more until they fix the sound. And if they don't adress the framerate when going above 60 I'll just play at 60.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the audio fix before playing the campaign with friends. We all pre-ordered and are pretty bummed about it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary:

The Positives:

- MCC version targets 60 FPS On all platforms (XBO, XBX) and everything animates correctly.
- Can sometimes suffer from Non-Linear motion in camera pans. Alex goes into great detail on this in the video.
- PC has 21 : 9 support during game play but cut-scenes draw 16 : 9 pillar boxes.
- All versions have low AF (even PC which can be remedied by forcing AF using your GPU control panel)
- XBX/XBO do not have the "Enhanced" graphics setting from PC so LoD etc are same as original 360 Reach.
- On PC, the Enhanced graphics setting pushes out LoD so you don't have visible fade-in or obvious low LoD objects in distance.

The Negatives:

- Higher Resolution can eliminate DOF's artistic effects. Same for SSAO and bloom.
- The audio mixing for guns is also not right. Too muffled and lower in volume with different reverb.

Performance:

- XBS: Same as above but areas with loading or streaming can drop to mid 40's to 60.
- On PC, most rigs should be able to hit 60 FPS with only some drops at checkpoints.
- At 120 FPS the mouse also has non-linear motion problems. You will have better input latency, but it will not be linear/correct.

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Summary:

The Positives:

- Can sometimes suffer from Nin-Linear motion in camera pans. Alex goes into great detail on this in the video.

The Negatives:

Performance:

I've noticed all of the XBX issues listed, but the thing that keeps bothering me the most of all of em is the very close, very aggressive, and very checkerboard looking LOD fade.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'm holding off on the Xbox beta app (PC) until they fix the audio disaster. It otherwise ran very smoothly.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That bit about post-processing (bloom, DoF, SSAO) being affected by resolution is concerning. I hope 343 gets around to addressing it but I doubt it's high on their list of priorities considering the other issues.

edit: And that would explain why mouse input feels weird. Guess I should lock to 60 FPS.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It still blows mind mind somewhat that there have been no Halo games on PC since Halo 2.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They messed up the audio for the guns. It's extremely noticeable how off the guns sound compared to the X360 version. They're working on it though.
Did you have the game muted while you played? The sound is atrocious.
If you're just talking about the gun audio, yeah they did sound a little muffled compared to everything else going on. It didn't really turn me off from playing though.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"THE aUDiO SouNds Fine gUyS, MUst BE yoUR SETUp OR PC!!!!111"

Thanks Digital Foundry for the video.
This port is full of little problems that impact my enjoyment of the game in a bigger way than they should have

The sound is a deal breaker.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't had any issues playing reach at 160fps. Not sure what the frame rate concerns are

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely noticed the sound issue, and that something felt off when playing it at 120fps. Thanks for the breakdown on that Dictator, makes perfect sense, great video as always!

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Haven't had any issues playing reach at 160fps. Not sure what the frame rate concerns are

In the video they explain it. Animations still update at 60 fps when above 60 fps, and mouse movement does not update linearly above 60 FPS. So aiming will not be smooth when compared to 60.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the lack of motion blur, Reach had radial blur, a great camera motion blur (similar to Halo 3), and a subtle per object motion blur for objects around the outer 50% of the screen space (similar to Gears 3).

I also noticed the muted SSAO. Interesting fact, Reach actually used the huge SSAO halos to its advantage by using it to replace shadow maps for mid/long distance shadows on certain objects, the game doesn't use that many shadow maps but it did make things seem a bit more consistent. Because the halos would be so big that at that distance you couldn't tell if it was SSAO or a shadow map.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Audio muffing is annoying. I had to put subtitles on to understand what some characters are saying.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed all of the XBX issues listed, but the thing that keeps bothering me the most of all of em is the very close, very aggressive, and very checkerboard looking LOD fade.

Yeah, that is precisely the thing the PC version's "Enhanced" graphics fixes. I checked with it on/off on my PC and when you use the "Original" graphics the pop in is very aggressive and has obvious boxy patterns. Enhanced Graphics On pretty much eliminated any visually obvious pop-in like that.

A bit of a bummer they couldn't get that setting in the X version at least.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the video they explain it. Animations still update at 60 fps when above 60 fps, and mouse movement does not update linearly above 60 FPS. Soaiming will not be smooth when compared to 60.

The animation's I can at least understand (and that's likely a limitation when a lot of the animations and motion capture was done, so only so much that can be done there without major overhaul), but I'm surprised about the mouse movement FPS issue, though.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed the muffled sound and was surprised there are no sliders. Not playing until that's fixed

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I'm sure co-op's input latency is due to the synchronous-lockstep networking model that all Halo co-ops suffer from. Even Halo 5.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" MCC/PC versions cut out Motion Blur completely."

Not sure why that is negative tho.

Nov 2, 2017
The Negatives:

Could someone explain this to me? I thought it was a good thing when effects scale with res, but clearly not if it turns SSAO invisible?

So it would be bad to downsample this or play it at 4K?

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't even start the stupid game. It just crashes to the windows store every single time.

I've reinstalled it, updated everything, restarted constantly, run as administrator, everything. It's broken for me.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The gun sounds are definitely off. All of them sound so muffled compared to everything else. Stopped playing for now but will jump in when that's fixed. How was that not noticed before release?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Another great video from Dictator. I wish he was at DF back when Dishonored 2 was released, as the high frame rate analysis of Reach was particularly interesting to see.
It sounds like the game is in a pretty rough state right now. Playable at 60 FPS on PC, but not how it should be.

One thing I'd like to point out though:
mcc-crash-a7k5c.jpg

This likely has nothing to do with the game at all.
The D3D device being lost/reset is typically caused by an unstable GPU (likely a bad overclock) as the device will be lost when Windows resets the driver to recover.
Some games may handle a device reset better than others, and I suspect that using exclusive mode rather than borderless mode may play a role too, but crashing in that situation is not something I'd blame the game for.

I wonder if a manual driver reset (WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B) would also crash the game. Sometimes that will behave differently from a "real" GPU reset though.
You can use a tool like NirSoft's DevManView to fully reset the GPU using this command: DevManView.exe /disable_enable "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" (obviously the GPU name must match whatever is in your system).
But again, either of those may behave differently from an actual GPU reset by the system in an attempt to recover.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, did they port it to UE4? Huh...

EDIT: Never mind, I see what they did. It's a similar situation with Final Fantasy IX.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Good to confirm our assumptions of the framerate issues are correct. Sucks to have to play the game at 60hz after playing everything else over the past 6 months between 100 and 144hz, as it's a lot more noticeable after that exposure.
Guns feel pretty bad with the audio mix mess, so I'm hoping at least that will be sorted as a priority for everyone

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Great overview, covers aspects that I haven't seen brought up yet - at least not the reasons. I definitely thought there was no AO whatsoever as I'm playing at 4k, now I know the reason why.

Count me in also on the "provide motion blur as an option" camp, especially if it's done the way Reach has. Hopefully they can fix all these issues.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Such a shame about the above 60hz frame rate issues. My biggest disappointment with the port so far. Hope its addressed and hope this isn't an issue with the upcoming Halo PC ports.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm optimistic that most of the issues raised in the video will be fixed.
They are very aware of the audio issues and framerate above 60fps is labelled as an experimental feature.

The netcode issue interests me, as they are testing a new asynchronous model for online co-op in Firefight.
Firefight Matchmaking
One other unique addition to matchmaking for Reach will be Firefight. There will be a small collection of Firefight playlists available which provide the key experiences the mode has to offer. These playlists will benefit from ongoing updates and rotations just like our current PVP playlists do. Firefight matchmaking will be hosted on dedicated servers and use a new asynchronous network model. Co-op Campaigns and Firefight have always run on a synchronous model where clients have to wait for the host to simulate their actions and send them back before they can be observed by the client. This can result in a sense of sluggishness for off-host players. Reach Firefight in MCC will use an async model which should result in a much smoother and more consistent online experience.

In theory, if they can shift Firefight successfully to a dedicated server asynchronous model, then maybe they could roll out the same improvements to the campaign co-op and maybe even to Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST and 4's online co-op.
Firefight is a much simpler gameplay scenario than campaigns which move through areas and have complex scripting so it makes sense to not over promise on this feature.

From the latest patch notes on the support page:
Co-Op Latency
Co-op campaign play uses P2P networking and we're aware that some players are reporting high latency and a poor experience when playing Campaign together. This is an area the team will continue to monitor but given the complexities of P2P networking and the underlying net code of Reach, the extent to which this issue can be addressed is still TBD.

TBD indeed, but I live in hope.
I was playing 2 player online co-op earlier and it was flawless for 3 levels and then I started getting some really bad stuttering.
Not sure what changed with the network conditions but it evened out after a few minutes. Anything that can be done to smooth out the campaign co-op and make it consistent for more people on various connection types would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually really glad I watched this video. The PC version just doesn't look like it's up to the standard Microsoft had set out for themselves -- the > 60 fps mode looks, well, bad, and I really don't like playing PC games these days at just 60 fps. Hopefully they are working on it and will iron it all out in the future, but I'll wait on grabbing it until then.