• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Announced for a December 3rd release on PC, Digital Foundry managed to get some hands-on time with Halo Reach at the recent XO19 Microsoft event. John and Alex talk about how the Xbox 360 version has been improved - and what the mysterious 'enhanced' mode actually does!

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Oct 27, 2017
Just watching this now.
So weird seeing the reticle in the middle of the screen instead of its usual Bungie lower position.

Hope the enhanced mode makes it to console.

Enjoyed the analysis. Roll on December.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The game still holds up nicely on 360. Wich makes the pc even better how it upscales.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to play Halo 3 but I don't have an xbox anymore nor a gaming pc. Could this run on a laptop?
Probably. Here are the minimum requirements for the game per 343i:

pcminspec-14758bca43a54d2bbbda60f2953973ae.jpg

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing I remember in my time playing Reach on Winter Contingency was that awful motion blurring especially on foliage - cannot wait to play the game nine years later in crisp clear 4K.

Jan 15, 2018
The game looks fantastic without the 360's constraints, I don't think I ever truly appreciated how strong Bungies art direction was for this game until now.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks great, I hope the enhanced mode makes its way to the Xbox One X.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Fantastic

never used rhe microsft store that much, will this game have a preload with game pass ?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am beyond stoked to play this again with fantastic visuals and performance. It's a slight bummer they didn't remake this and 3 the way 1 and 2 were but I absolutely understand why. the work they're already putting into the MCC for all this is staggering and highly commendable.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I am beyond stoked to play this again with fantastic visuals and performance. It's a slight bummer they didn't remake this and 3 the way 1 and 2 were but I absolutely understand why. the work they're already putting into the MCC for all this is staggering and highly commendable.

Agreed

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God that centered cross hair looks so ugly without the ability to change the size of the view model

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
That looks damn good for an old game. Will pick it up if the story is the first in the series.
It's a prequel, but only by three months. The time between each Halo game is surprisingly brief. The Fall of Reach begins in July 2552, and the Human-Covenant War is over by December of that year.

Every Halo game developed during the Bungie era, Halo Wars aside, is set in the final year of the Human-Covenant War. Wars is a prequel, but it's largely forgettable and inconsequential to the rest of the series. If you want to play that, it's already available on PC, through Steam or Game Pass.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Probably. Here are the minimum requirements for the game per 343i:

pcminspec-14758bca43a54d2bbbda60f2953973ae.jpg

JFC, you can run this thing @ 4K with a 770 XD My 2080ti is gonna be like "wtf is this??".

Watching that footage, this port is looking top of the class. They clearly haven't messed around with this, MS have big, BIG hopes for Halo returning to the competitive scene with this.

Last edited:

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
So I guess high end GPUs can run this at 4K with 200% render scale with ease then.

Probably can't go THAT crazy with the render scale if you want to go north of 120hz, but even then it would only be momentary framerate dips during the most action heavy moments you'd be dealing with.

In other words, talking about the other end of the spectrum, rest easy: you can run this thing on your smart fridge.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely had the best art direction in the series. Some of the best skyboxes and most detailed backgrounds ever

Apr 4, 2019
I wonder if that's more of a requirement on the MCC launcher side of things (and then Win 10) given how it hooks all the games together.

Or they do something way out there for Reach asset-loading . :s