• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully next update will finally bring proper frame pacing and VRR support along with RT and FSR2. 0

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • black levels in the FMVs are corrected
  • playback of FMVs is smoother with fixed framepacing
  • object animation playback is smoothed out
  • light flickering (not an effect, an error) fixed
  • 30fps facial animation playback is still there
  • gameplay to cutscene transitions smoothed out
  • new visual modes
    • modes are renamed to 30, 60, 120 mode
    • 120hz more is back on Series S
      • internal res is lower, 540p
      • outdoor areas run around 70-90 fps, can drop below 60 at times
      • indoor areas is around 120
      • multiplayer is near locked to 120fps until the camera pulls back (like in vehicles)
    • Series X 30hz
      • higher average resolution
      • vrs doesn't scale as much
      • improper frame pacing strikes again
      • that and visual gains are very low make this mode not worth it
    • Series X 60hz
      • if played on a 120hz screen, you get improper framepacing
      • set your system output to 60hz mode
    • Series X 120hz
      • best mode
  • used variable rate rendering tier 2, not good with low resolution
  • FPS cap/vsync issue on PC still exists
    • lower your screen refresh rate
  • VRR still doesn't work correctly
    • below a certain point (110fps, 114fps), you get jutter
    • affects all versions
  • the legacy of Halo 3 continues: framepacing issues
    • Destiny 1 even had that issue until it was fixed

CasualMaso

Banned
May 12, 2022
Space
I hate the lowered resolution since Season 2. I knew something was up the moment I started it up. Thought I had dirt in my eye since the character models looked so blurry at first. Messed around and went to 30FPS and WOW, the game looks a lot better(But no way am I playing it at that). Hopefully, they will up the res. in future updates. Not holding my breath for 343i though lol

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the lowered resolution since Season 2. I knew something was up the moment I started it up. Thought I had dirt in my eye since the character models looked so blurry at first. Messed around and went to 30FPS and WOW, the game looks a lot better(But no way am I playing it at that). Hopefully, they will up the res. in future updates. Not holding my breath for 343i though lol
Wait what, the resolution is decreased in S2? What platform/mode?

CasualMaso

Banned
May 12, 2022
Space
Wait what, the resolution is decreased in S2? What platform/mode?

I'm on a CX with a XSX. Choose 120FPS mode, look around in the armor menu then choose 30FPS. Night and Day man. It was not like this in S1. Some redditors also were wondering wtf happened when S2 launched with the image quality. I guess it's those "eagle eyed" Halo players šŸ¤£

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
If DF want to test some other games that have frame pacing issues at 120hz Resident Evil 2 is another one that I found would have issues at the intro with the gas station.

Due to this and Halo I just leave my TV at 60Hz now, as I've noticed this with one or two other titles as well.

Edit:

The frame pacing issue is still present.
VRR is still broken.

:/

VRR also doesn't smooth out frame drops in Halo 3 and Halo 4 at 120hz on the MCC.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for offering choices, but who want's to play at 540p on a new console in 2022?

Dec 11, 2017
Thank you, Digital Foundry. I genuinely believe your (continued) feedback has lead to technical improvements that wouldn't otherwise have happened in Halo Infinite.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Crashes more than before on PC. And if you're unlucky, forget about installing hd textures 6 months after release because then it will crash every game.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm all for offering choices, but who want's to play at 540p on a new console in 2022?

The temporal upscaling at 120hz gives it more clarity than any of the Halo games on the 360. It's comparable IQ wise to MW on the Xbox One which was 800x900 at most times. Given how readable Halo is, the 120hz mode is definitely recommended on the S over the 60h mode for multiplayer. I did wish they had separated the modes for sp and mp tho.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Really wish they would sort out VRR. Halo is the one game on my Series X I feel could take advantage of it.

Unrelated, but does anyone know if ray tracing is still on 343's roadmap? Feels like I haven't heard a peep about it since 2020.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Yeah. But the talk was about 540p above. That 540p isnt the same as 540p back in the day.

Yeah, but the other poster was clearly implying that due to the visual glitches introduced with VRS when the res drops to 540p that it in fact looks worse than native 540p. Which DF kind of jokes about in the vid.

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
Won't have time to watch the video until later tonight but based off the summary isn't it only 540 at 120hz?
Yeah, which is not a problem for most people. Just don't think those that excuse it as '540p isnt the same as 10 years ago' people think it makes as much sense as they think it does unless it uses DLSS.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, which is not a problem for most people. Just don't think those that excuse it as '540p isnt the same as 10 years ago' people think it makes as much sense as they think it does unless it uses DLSS.

It uses temporal reconstruction. It really looks much better than 540p would look like 10 years ago.

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
It uses temporal reconstruction. It really looks much better than 540p would look like 10 years ago.
Looking better than it does 10 years ago doesnt mean it still doesnt look blurry as hell.

Look, be happy that there's an option for those that insist on playing at 120fps. That's fine, I agree with you.

but trying to talk down on people that thinks it looks bad aint it.

Oct 27, 2017
If DF want to test some other games that have frame pacing issues at 120hz Resident Evil 2 is another one that I found would have issues at the intro with the gas station.

Due to this and Halo I just leave my TV at 60Hz now, as I've noticed this with one or two other titles as well.

Edit:

VRR also doesn't smooth out frame drops in Halo 3 and Halo 4 at 120hz on the MCC.
Yeah I was going to mention Halo 4. The Jungle level drops very noticeably and made me think there was something wrong with this whole VRR stuff.

Hopefully these issues get fixed some day. RE2 next gen version is coming so fingers crossed.

Great video again from DF.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
HI at 120hz on XSX is definitely not the best mode, as the VRR is fucked. Fine when you're indoors but when outside and the framerate drops below 120, it has the same issue as PC and stutters as the VRR doesn't work properly due to the weird Vsync stuff.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
There's not much reason to play the campaign at 120hz on Series S as VRR doesn't work and it's a big step down. But multiplayer it's totally fine imo, and DF agrees. Hopefully by Season 3 (or some Drop Pod) they release a Vsync/VRR/frame pacing fix.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Great update. XSX at 60fps is still my preferred way to play. Super smooth and no issues to have to sort through.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Has 343 even acknowledged the VRR frame pacing issue? Honestly unacceptable, considering that's a thing on Xbox too, the platform they're supposed to actually care about.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
HI at 120hz on XSX is definitely not the best mode, as the VRR is fucked. Fine when you're indoors but when outside and the framerate drops below 120, it has the same issue as PC and stutters as the VRR doesn't work properly due to the weird Vsync stuff.

SP right? I played that at 60hz. MP at 120hz I have not noticed any issues.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I am glad they have made some improvements
Thanks to df for the continued coverage of issues. I think it truly has led to fixes/improvements that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and I think that will continue to be the case with this new video out. That said, I doubt vrr will ever function well given what one of the devs said in the gdc talk on halo infinite rendering. He sounded like the engine is designed to out out a constant framerate, and that framerate can be arbitrary as long as it is constant, but variable framerate for whatever reason is not recommended.

I know it is likely a long way off given the current state of the game, but I do hope they add in raytracing eventually, particularly in the form of Ray traced gi. No idea if that will be feasible performance wise with the current engine setup, but I think that is where the game would benefit most as screen's pace reflections are good enough for the forerunner structures and few bodies of water and shadows while not amazing are not worth doing in a ray traced form (unless this means that all lights actually cast shadows, which is a huge limitation in halo right now especially with a dynamic light like the flashlight).

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
SP right? I played that at 60hz. MP at 120hz I have not noticed any issues.
It's a similar situation on PC. The smaller maps run perfectly fine, it's the open-world parts of the campaign where performance just takes a dump.

I am glad they have made some improvements
Thanks to df for the continued coverage of issues. I think it truly has led to fixes/improvements that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and I think that will continue to be the case with this new video out. That said, I doubt vrr will ever function well given what one of the devs said in the gdc talk on halo infinite rendering. He sounded like the engine is designed to out out a constant framerate, and that framerate can be arbitrary as long as it is constant, but variable framerate for whatever reason is not recommended.

That... is pretty bad with VRR being a big deal nowadays. I'm pretty sure arbitrary, consistent framerates are still bad though. I set the game on my PC to run at 72 FPS, which it can hit consistently, and it was really juttery compared to 60.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
It's a similar situation on PC. The smaller maps run perfectly fine, it's the open-world parts of the campaign where performance just takes a dump.

That... is pretty bad with VRR being a big deal nowadays. I'm pretty sure arbitrary, consistent framerates are still bad though. I set the game on my PC to run at 72 FPS, which it can hit consistently, and it was really juttery compared to 60.
Technically, if your display supports vrr the 72 fps should look fine if the game you are playing supports that framerate well. I think what the dev was saying though was someone could do what you have done, and set an arbitrary fps on a vrr display (such as 72) and as long as the game is constantly able to reach that performance it should be fine. The issue comes with the fact that that is not how most people use vrr (and you certainly cannot set arbitrary fps caps on console), so instead the framerate will vary from 84 to 72 to 68 etc. And that variation is what the engine does not handle well. If it was just a straight 72 fps all the time it would be OK, but again that is not the use case for most vrr.

All that said, take what I am saying with a huge grain of salt because I have no technical expertise or anything. The above was just how I interpreted the deb's presentation.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this game still feels like it's in beta after all this time. Maybe in 5 years it'll run as I expected it to, like MCC