• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

settings:

9IdiglR.png

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Have not watched the video, but Series X is awfully close to the recommended PC version settings. I'm nervous.

Edit: After watching the vid, I figured that the settings differences wouldn't be as dramatic. It's a shame that the difference is so small and Raytracing is missing. Those dips when doing nothing is a little interesting.

Also, I wonder if he ecountered the 0 frames bug that's seen when John gave his analysis of the Series version. I feel he would have highlighted it.

Last edited:

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
A lot of people consider a demanding game with average graphics = bad port. I just consider it unoptimized but a fairly good port, didn't run into bugs or crashes in my 10 hours or so playing it which is kinda of a miracle these days, especially with big online games at launch.
And when we say average graphics what we really mean its that there are a handful of games with better graphics right?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
  • No DLSS
  • No RT
  • Pretty much no visual advantage over XSX
  • Better GPU than XSX required to achieve the same combination of visual quality and performance
  • Bugged internal frame limiter
  • No VRS
  • Dynamic res only working properly with the internal frame limiter and V-sync
  • Stuttering

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Seems like an excellent port to me. I've had 0 issues with multi. Looks great and runs smooth. Hyped for campaign.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can't watch yet. Do they explain the stutter even at high fps on PC? Some kind of bug with min/max fps settings? I still can't get the game to run smooth on my RTX 3080.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Lotta people crying "unoptimized" just because it doesnt include Nvidias proprietary features.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
  • No DLSS
  • No RT
  • Better GPU than XSX required to achieve the same combination of visual quality and performance
  • No VRS
  • Stuttering

Yikes, watching now but this list is a bad look.

Was never expecting dlss though.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Underwhelming at best.

Shoddy performance with some pretty annoying bugs, unfortunately. Just like Alex, I'll be waiting for a few fixes before diving into this one. Perhaps an Nvidia optmized driver would fix it?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Looking at benchmarks I can't help but feel that the engine is underperforming a bit. Unless it's doing something crazy I'm not seeing. I've got that impression from Halo 5 as well, which had some pretty big graphical compromises to hit 60fps.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I really appreciate Alex detailing the stuttering issues so extensively! They so often go unreported on PC games, which leads to worry that it's an fault with the end user's rig in some way

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a game that makes me really miss DLSS, especially coming off some absolute DLSS bangers like Guardians of the Galaxy.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
  • No DLSS
  • No RT
  • No VRS
  • Stuttering
Not saying this is good but this is not "one of the worst PC ports" out there

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lotta people crying "unoptimized" just because it doesnt include Nvidias proprietary features.

More like, because it looks pretty average without doing any sort of crazy simulation and still is extremely demanding and has several issues that were present in several month old betas, and not fixed.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
One thing I wouldn't recommend is playing the game with unlocked framerate because even if you use an external limiter it'll cause high CPU usage .

I have a 5800X and it was going at 99% usage but when I put a framerate limit in-game slightly higher than the one I use with the nvidia tool it went to a more reasonable 30 - 40 % usage.

It might have been fixed but I doubt so.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I mentioned this in another thread, but this backsliding of port quality from Microsoft in the last few months has been disappointing after several years of great PC ports. I really hope MS will help their studios get these games back up to par. It's kind of weird that Sony might start having better ports than MS now with God of War and Uncharted coming up.

Or because you need a notably more powerful GPU than a Series X to get equivalent performance despite not being noticeably better looking. Not to mention the bugs.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
  • No DLSS
  • No RT
  • No VRS
  • Stuttering

The last four there I hope get fixed in a patch for sure.

But ports have come a long way if "consoles use high and ultra settings now" and "doesn't use vendor-locked features" is what constitutes as some of the first things we list as bad.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
Or because you need a notably more powerful GPU than a Series X to get equivalent performance despite not being noticeably better looking. Not to mention the bugs.

No you don't. He's achieving Xbox performance and slightly BETTER graphics settings with a 2070 super, which is essentially an Xbox Series X. And if this game used ray tracing and/or DLSS then that GPU would certainly surpass the series X.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Clearly série x for me. Even if my gpu is better on my pc, m'y ryzen 1600 is going to bé a bottleneck. ( 3070ti)
And with the usual bug at launch on pc ..no question for me.
If the game is really good, i will do a second play if one day they implement ray tracing and dlss.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
It's not shown in the optimized settings image, but Alex recommends "High" for Ambient Occlusion.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's no conceivable reason for this game to be so demanding on PCs, based on what I've seen and played anyway.