• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Counter thread to the other thread. Outlets like DF have greatly enhanced gaming for me.

Their tech analysis have guided me towards optimized settings, see which settings affect performance the most and if settings like ULTRA settings are worth it (spoiler they rarely are). The breakdowns for performance on all consoles or midrange and high end pc builds are great to watch and have affected my purchasing decisions in the past.

Then there are their numerous other videos, like DF Retro, which has led me to games I never even heard about or are a direct hit in the nostalgia feels (Ex. The Splatterhouse retrospective). I greatly appreciate the expert insights in certain techniques or tradeoffs made in older games when hardware between consoles was wildly different.

I feel that DF really does God's work in providing all this content which can really help gamers get the best version for a game or be warned about bugs or performance issues or show games people may not be familiar with.

But most importantly I feel the exact opposite to the OP of the other thread, in that I really appreciate the fact that DF made me see behind the curtain. It usually shows that game creation is hard and that everything is a compromise to get the most out of something at the expense of other things or effects and that makes me appreciate the effort devs put in even more. It also helps that the VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE DF crew does such a great job at explaining the technicalities so laymen like me can understand it.

To conclude Digital Foundry have greatly enhanced my enjoyment and understanding of modern game rendering and I always look forward to their takes on performance, tech or other insights into a certain game or technology

So ERA, come in, grab a drink and let us celebrate Digital Foundry and all the hard work they do!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't think 'reaction threads' are allowed and usually get locked, but either way, much like the other thread, it's such a weird thing to measure to me about how you enjoy games. DF is cool and they do good work but I couldn't imagine it 'ruining' or 'enhancing' games for myself. I feel like a lot of people who post here are more in this kind of stuff than the games themselves

MrBeanTroll

Oct 29, 2017
They helped me finally identify why I don't like certain well regarded games. I can't handle bad framepacing in most games.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm able to dodge games that would have triggered my migraines pretty reliably these days, and DF is the main reason for that. Their work is indispensable to me, and the medium is richer for having them. Also helps though that they seem like a bunch of stand-up folks.

OP
OP
elPolloDiablo

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
I don't think 'reaction threads' are allowed and usually get locked, but either way, much like the other thread, it's such a weird thing to measure to me about how you enjoy games. DF is cool and they do good work but I couldn't imagine it 'ruining' or 'enhancing' games for myself. I feel like a lot of people who post here are more in this kind of stuff than the games themselves
Wasn't meant to be a reaction thread necessarily, more a thread to celebrate DF, If the mods see this differently they can lock it of course and I will fade back into the shadows to hide the shame I brought upon my family.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
They do what they do very well. Similar to a site like Rotten Tomatoes (not the perfect analogy because I understand DF not an aggregator), people use it to push their agenda one way or another and confirm their already-held beliefs. If you take it for what it is, they are very good and very useful

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I'm a sucker for "Behind the scenes" content so I really appreciate DFs work, makes me understand the games I play a little better.

That said, I'm not that much of a graphics guy that the DF vids make me pick the XSX version over the PS5 versiona and vice versa.
The lowest retail price (physical) is still my #1 tie breaker.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Wasn't meant to be a reaction thread necessarily, more a thread to celebrate DF, If the mods see this differently they can lock it of course and I will fade back into the shadows to hide the shame I brought upon my family.

Well, considering how you started this with 'as a counter to the other thread' I'm not sure about that lol. I personally don't care myself, I was just mentioning that fact. The important part was about not judging what you enjoy or don't, or how much you enjoy it, based on someone else. DF is cool for digging into the technical aspect of stuff, but if I like something, them doing that doesn't 'ruin' or 'enhance' that fact. It's just a neat aside

OP
OP
elPolloDiablo

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Well, considering how you started this with 'as a counter to the other thread' I'm not sure about that lol. I personally don't care myself, I was just mentioning that fact. The important part was about not judging what you enjoy or don't, or how much you enjoy it, based on someone else. DF is cool for digging into the technical aspect of stuff, but if I like something, them doing that doesn't 'ruin' or 'enhance' that fact. It's just a neat aside
Yeah fair enough, maybe not the best choice of words. Wasn't meant to come off as judgy, should have worded it differently

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I take for granted now that I can learn all the differences between various versions of big releases. I used to buy PS3 versions of multiplatform games instead of 360, thinking they must be better because it's more powerful hardware. Hurts extra with how good Xbox BC is now.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So who is making the third thread, "Digital Foundry has had no impact on my gaming experience"?

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
I been enjoying them looking back at older games dont really care about FPS unless they something really wrong with it

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
putting names to things that I felt but didn't consciously really recognize has helped me to better curate my experiences and overall made things more enjoyable. I still enjoy games with shitty performance like if I play some non BC game on xbox 360.

OP
OP
elPolloDiablo

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
putting names to things that I felt but didn't consciously really recognize has helped me to better curate my experiences and overall made things more enjoyable. I still enjoy games with shitty performance like if I play some non BC game on xbox 360.
Yeah and IMO that is what they do best, as it gives me the information to make an informed choice on whether I will spend money on a game.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I greatly enhance Digital Foundry. But you don't see me making a thread about it.

Don't worry how I do it, they know.