• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Looks intriguing but please let me turn off motion blur because man, that's just way too much! I am hoping for a 120fps next gen release?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed to see Digital Foundry covering this game, especially after they got flack for covering Ion Maiden.
3D Realms are AT BEST a company that likes Neo Nazis.
www.resetera.com

Bigoted Devs Part of 3D Realms’ Realms Deep Show

I mentioned this in the Graven thread but think it deserves its own thread. Basically 3D Realms is hosting a streaming event for retro shooters and a few of the devs have a sketchy past so I wanted to make sure it was called out. Before I do here is a link to the Ion Fury controversy. Here are...

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Graven looks fantastic. It's a mix of an aesthetic I love and the style of game that never gets old.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've longed for these influences converging for sssssssso long. I'm a little bit miffed that it's so muted and kinda drab looking, considering that its influences were so flamboyant and over the top, but if this can combine into a cohesive experience I'm gonna be All Over It.

During the 40+ game barrage during Realmsdeep, you got the impression that there's a retro FPS with every conceivable flavour coming out. Pretty crazy time we live in. :o

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can't wait to play this! Hope we get a demo/ early access sharpish!

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed to see Digital Foundry covering this game, especially after they got flack for covering Ion Maiden.
3D Realms are AT BEST a company that likes Neo Nazis.
www.resetera.com

Bigoted Devs Part of 3D Realms’ Realms Deep Show

I mentioned this in the Graven thread but think it deserves its own thread. Basically 3D Realms is hosting a streaming event for retro shooters and a few of the devs have a sketchy past so I wanted to make sure it was called out. Before I do here is a link to the Ion Fury controversy. Here are...

Very dissapointing to see, as well as the amount of users here completely looking the other way.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Me everytime I hear Hexen....

maxresdefault.jpg

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hey that game looks like such a homo- and transphobic and maybe also tangentially racist developer/publisher complaining about SJWs all the time, I mean, like cool harmless nostalgic Hexen retro fun made by cool people probably, sorry I mistyped. I love Hexen! Not politics. Hexen was great!

Man can anyone tell I'm really disappointed by this coverage after reading up on all of this?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has defended DF on this shit in the past it sure is disappointing to see them not learn a damn thing

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Digital Foundry continuing to support the dog shit that's 3D Realms lol.

giphy.gif

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People expecting DF to learn anything were always going to be sorely disappointed. The Ion Fury mess made it clear that they don't care, and considered being called out for uncritically signal-boosting bigots to be worse than, you know, uncritically signal-boosting bigots.

Shame because I liked their coverage, but they can go kick rocks with their neo-nazi buddies.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
and just like that, DF is now another platform for the wannabe anti SJW front lol

congratulationsyouplayedyourself.gif, damn such a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
and just like that, DF is now another platform for the wannabe anti SJW front lol

If I was a content producer and the alt-right latched onto my content, I'd soundly advise that I don't agree with them and they can kick rocks.

Has DF done anything like this? I'm noticing more and more "take that SJWs!"-ish comments on their videos.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If I was a content producer and the alt-right latched onto my content, I'd soundly advise that I don't agree with them and they can kick rocks.

Has DF done anything like this? I'm noticing more and more "take that SJWs!"-ish comments on their videos.
Not that I've seen, no. That said, I have no idea if there are deleted comments, since they would be, well, deleted.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Massive shame, I used to enjoy DF content but its been tainted too much for me to enjoy now.
And ouch at the crowd they're attracting now.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020

You do realize that people post stuff like that on every video under the sun when it comes to literally anything that gets posted here right. Alt right trolls tried to use their coverage for shitty console wars for years now. This didn't affect anything and I have no idea why you think this is something sudden.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Massive shame, I used to enjoy DF content but its been tainted too much for me to enjoy now.
And ouch at the crowd they're attracting now.
As someone who reads nearly all of the comments under Videos I appear in I can say we do not attract any crowd more than usual in our content as of late. Our comments, excluding banned words, are always and have always been filled to the brim with bigots, racist, transphobes and altrighters as the entire gaming community at large filled with these people.They happen to Also be the most glaringly vocal.

Ever since the gamergate days, any large platform with a voice no matter what has been inundated in their culture war whether the platform likes it or not or even has a say or stake in it explicitly.

As an example, every video I make gets dozens of comments about my sexuality, apparent Lack of manliness, or some other bigoted junk under it even though it is all video game tech all the time. Make a video about a woman Protagonist? Yeah, infinitely worse than one with a man. Even though we only talk descriptively about tech, graphics, or performance.
The discourse on the Web is just filled toxic hate from such people. no I do not Support any of the politics and sentiments behind any of that. Not at all.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Was disappointed to see this pop up earlier today. It's not like this is some critical title to cover and doing so on their channel give will a big audience to a 3D Realms published title. I guess their approach to it is just not mentioning 3D Realms in the actual video which is laughable. We all know who is behind it.
I'll be seeing their retro coverage differently in the future for sure, with them putting coverage of this sort of thing above denouncing bigotry.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who reads nearly all of the comments under Videos I appear in I can say we do not attract any crowd more than usual in our content as of late. Our comments, excluding banned words, are always and have always been filled to the brim with bigots, racist, transphobes and altrighters as the entire gaming community at large filled with these people.They happen to Also be the most glaringly vocal.

Ever since the gamergate days, any large platform with a voice no matter what has been inundated in their culture war whether the platform likes it or not or even has a say or stake in it explicitly.

As an example, every video I make gets dozens of comments about my sexuality, apparent Lack of manliness, or some other bigoted junk under it even though it is all video game tech all the time. Make a video about a woman Protagonist? Yeah, infinitely worse than one with a man. Even though we only talk descriptively about tech, graphics, or performance.
The discourse on the Web is just filled toxic hate from such people. no I do not Support any of the politics and sentiments behind any of that. Not at all.
So are you guys going to stop covering 3D Realms stuff now? Please do not ignore the link I posted.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK

I'm really sorry you have to go through that kind of harassment, I can kinda sympathise with the 'lack of manliness' aspect.

It was definitely a knee jerk reaction on my part in an attempt to bump the thread.

I don't really spend much time on YouTube (or anywhere other than here really), so I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Oct 26, 2017

I'm sorry you get folks on the net say awful stuff about you. I also really appreciate you saying you don't support bigots.

However you need to sit down with John and the rest of the team and reevaluate your willingness to cover games by awful people. It's one thing to not know about their wrongdoings at the time (I didn't until the other thread covering all of this a week ago), but once people let you know about it, it's your responsibility to listen to these warnings and to avoid any positive coverage in the future. Same goes for accepting sponsorships by people who've also done terrible things and evidently not made up for them. Case in point; THQ Nordic and Ubisoft if you do so in the future.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

Yes, YouTube comments are bigoted. We all know. But why are ya'll giving coverage to devs who share and promote those same bigoted beliefs? And who put that into their games?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So are you guys going to stop covering 3D Realms stuff now? Please do not ignore the link I posted.
I do not Plan on covering games where I find the whole of the developers abide racism, transphobia, sexism or any other such things.

If it comes out that a Single dev of a studio or a small Group of individual at a studio harbour such views I honestly do not know how to react immediately Visavis the game in question - as a game is the products of many and not few always. Take naughry dog games with their documented extremely poor work culture and exploitation - or Rockstar, or a game like Dying Light 2 which had Chris Avelone doing the entire narrative apparently. What is the mass of 'unacceptability' among the few or many for a person to condemn the whole? I am not sure when it comes to game coverage always as I do not see the entire picture and my judgement can be skewed quickly. I just know the things I do not like and I try and talk about them here on Era or Twitter.

And no I cannot make statements for DF as a whole so do not think I can please. No organisation works that way.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I do not Plan on covering games where I find the whole of the developers abide racism, transphobia, sexism or any other such things.

If it comes out that a Single dev of a studio or a small Group of individual at a studio harbour such views I honestly do not know how to react immediately Visavis the game in question - as a game is the products of many and not few always. Take naughry dog games with their sdcumented extremely poor work culturew and exploitation - or Rockstar, or a game like Dying Light 2 which had Chris Avelone doing the entire narrative apparently. What is the mass of 'unacceptability' among the few or many for a person to condemn the whole? I am not sure when it comes to game coverage always as I do not see the entire picture and my judgement can be skewed quickly. I just no the things I do not like and I try and talk about them here on Era or Twitter.
3D Realms is a company that surrounds themselves with neo nazis.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also the minimum responsibility if you were going to cover this stuff would be to provide some disclaimers up front

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

If it comes out that a Single dev of a studio or a small Group of individual at a studio harbour such views I honestly do not know how to react immediately Visavis the game in question - as a game is the products of many and not few always. Take naughry dog games with their documented extremely poor work culture and exploitation - or Rockstar, or a game like Dying Light 2 which had Chris Avelone doing the entire narrative apparently. What is the mass of 'unacceptability' among the few or many for a person to condemn the whole? I am not sure when it comes to game coverage always as I do not see the entire picture and my judgement can be skewed quickly. I just know the things I do not like and I try and talk about them here on Era or Twitter.

And no I cannot make statements for DF as a whole so do not think I can please. No organisation works that way.
Ion Fury was a game made by a team that actively refused to remove bigoted content from their game — alongside fostering and engaging in a community discord filled with transphobia from devs and fans alike — and 3D Realms supported them in doing so. They are a company content to not only be associated with such headlines as the below, but endorse and support the decisions they refer to.
www.pcgamer.com

Ion Fury developers decide not to remove homophobic content after Steam review bombing

One slur has been removed, but an in-game asset that Voidpoint said would be changed will instead be left as-is.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Ion Fury was a game made by a small team that actively refused to remove bigoted content from their game — alongside fostering and engaging in a community discord filled with transphobia from devs and fans alike — and 3D Realms supported them in doing so. They are a company content to not only be associated with such headlines as the below, but endorse and support the decisions they refer to.
www.pcgamer.com

Ion Fury developers decide not to remove homophobic content after Steam review bombing

One slur has been removed, but an in-game asset that Voidpoint said would be changed will instead be left as-is.
I did not Cover Ion fury and yes i know about it. I am talking about myself and the games I cover.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So you wouldn't generally support the covering of them (3D Realms or Voidpoint) through Digital Foundry were you given a vote?
I am talking about development teams and not publishers actually as I explicitly type there - and yeah i do not plan on covering a game where I view the information out there and see the general whole of the developmwnt Team or even content matter is like this. I would not Cover a postal game for example.

Those are games of size and channel relevance where I have the luxury of say, me personally.

If I stopped Coverage with publishers that I had Moral or ethical qualms with parts of their dealing, i honestly would not Cover any large Release on average. Ubisoft Stuff, Foxconn workers and equivalent making the Hardware we are all using, Sex scandals and abuse scandals left and right, etc. The complicitness of Video games industry in the Horrors of modern life makes me willing turn a blind eye to those things to even have a Job at all if you understand.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I would not Cover a game from the hatred developers or from sgt Mark or such. That is indeed me saying that. I once again do not speak for anyone but myself.
Obviously you are not in charge of the big decisions regarding Eurogamer in general, but I want to give you a profound thank you for personally refusing to cover such games. Seems ridiculous to show you appreciation for simply acting like a decent human being, but that's the point we have gotten to.

A huge hug and keep up the good work, please always stand up for your principles like you have been doing so far.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So you wouldn't generally support the covering of them (3D Realms or Voidpoint) through Digital Foundry were you given a vote?
I think Alex explained his opinion (and implied an answer to your question) pretty clearly through his posts, no need to nail him down on a decision he very likely can not take (and in all honestly, probably should not take here on Era, but within the team). At least that's my take on it.

Dictator's posts make me continue watching his videos, thank you very much for your additions to the thread.

edit oh he did even clearly answer to the question :) Even better!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I am talking about development teams and not publishers actually as I explicitly type there - and yeah i do not plan on covering a game where I view the information out there and see the general whole of the developmwnt Team or even content matter is like this. I would not Cover a postal game for example.

Those are games of size and channel relevance where I have the luxury of say, me personally.

If I stopped Coverage with publishers that I had Moral or ethical qualms with parts of their dealing, i honestly would not Cover any large Release on average. Ubisoft Stuff, Foxconn workers and equivalent making the Hardware we are all using, Sex scandals and a use scandals left and right, etc. The complicitness of Video games industry in the Horrors of modern life makes me willing turn a blind eye to those things to even have a Job at all if you understand.
Appreciate you taking the time, not only to come into the thread when the tone was apparent but also break down your views. Understanding that people like yourself attempt, and succeed, in purposefully avoiding such things is a welcome point of note to have. Thanks for doing what you can to diminish the issues like that I mentioned earlier and I hope it encourages others to follow suit.

Also, as an aside and for what it's worth, I've found your presence in videos to be entirely welcoming and disarming. People expressing the things you mentioned you have to endure on a personal level couldn't be more off-base. Whatever perception of manliness they hold is entirely rotten, be thankful you aren't it.

I think Alex explained his opinion (and implied an answer to your question) pretty clearly through his posts, no need to nail him down on a decision he very likely can not take (and in all honestly, probably should not take here on Era, but within the team). At least that's my take on it.
I'm not nailing him down to anything, I asked a question with the literal understanding it was one he likely couldn't effect.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Okay :) It sounded a bit like this to me, but I might just have gotten you wrong due to the general tone of the thread and my wrong assumptions. Sorry for the implication then!
I mean, you have an Animal Crossing avatar so how long am I really supposed to stay frosty. Probably more of a blunt wording than I could have gone with, so don't apologise. It's true the topic doesn't tend to bring my warmth out lol.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Dictator for taking the time to answer here, it's a complex subject and as someone else said, keep up the good work and stand up for your principles as much as you can.

As long as people are willing to listen when such issues are brought up, there's progress to be made.

Perhaps disclaimers can help to inform the DF community about a publisher's/developer's well known offensive views while still engaging in tech coverage.