• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It would have, but it would have been much more expensive and time consuming to do.

The main thing about marionetting in 2D is that it's incredibly fast and easy to edit or add animations to anything. It's really good for iterating on gameplay concepts and going from pre-prod to final really quickly.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. This game is essentially a return of an old classic, so Capcom are most likely testing the waters with a cost and time efficient budget title.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
None of the games from the series your avatar's from have ever had a steady frame rate. Especially not on the NES.

I know and that shit didn't bother me when I was a kid. It does now though but I can adapt to it when games are good...ie Bloodborne. It still doesn't mean an inconsistent framerate is a good.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's already playable here in Japan. You know, I'm never going to be a fan of this paper doll animation method, but the game actually looks really beautiful. The music is great, and it's just a ton of fun! Really glad this series is back. I'm going to feel real dumb when they release a physical version, though :(

Apr 19, 2018
Shame about the pockets of framerate drops. I might have preferred a 900p resolution for docked if it meant more solid performance across the board.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Enoyed that video a lot and the game looks quite good in motion. I would have probably preferred it 3D based originally, but the story book look makes it quite unique. I played Megaman 11 fairly recently, but it ultimately seems forgettable viaually. I applaud them going for something interesting here.

Is this game something that would be sharper at resolutions over 1080p, or is it essentially mastered at 1080p like Cuphead, so that running it higher would make no real difference? (assuming the timed exclusivity leak is true and it's coming to other platforms later)

Enoyed that video a lot and the game looks quite good in motion. I would have probably preferred it 3D based originally, but the story book look makes it quite unique. I played Megaman 11 fairly recently, but it ultimately seems forgettable viaually. I applaud them going for something interesting here.

Is this game something that would be sharper at resolutions over 1080p, or is it essentially mastered at 1080p like Cuphead, so that running it higher would make no real difference? (assuming the timed exclusivity leak is true and it's coming to other platforms later)
I would assume that the only real difference you would see in motion is that it would likely gain AA on more powerful platforms to clean up the edges, even as John here does make a decent argument that the aliasing seems to compliment the art direction. I doubt Capcom afforded the team here the ability to do even higher-res assets, though what we see here looks beautifully detailed as it is.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
60fps with a few dips is 60fps. Some people here and their framerate obsession is so silly. Regular ass people will not recognize this as performance issues. It is rare console games are a flat 60fps bar. We should not take people whining about this seriously.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of the games from the series your avatar's from have ever had a steady frame rate. Especially not on the NES.
Yeah, that's pretty funny lol

Stable framerate is super important to me. The ideas that I don't value a good framerate because I can accept an occasional frame drop into the mid-50s is pretty nonsensical. I honestly can't think of many 60fps games, particularly on consoles, that NEVER drop below 60.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to try this game, but I wanted to chime in and say that Ultimate GnG can be played at 60FPS on a hacked PSP, very easily. You just need to activate cwcheat plugin and get this under the UGnG entry (US version of the game only!) in cheat.db file:

_C0 60 FPS
_L 0x20457A98 0x42700000
_L 0x20457AA0 0x00000001
_L 0x20457AA4 0x3C888889

Then make sure to play the game using PSPs 333MHz CPU /166MHz bus clock, and that's it. It's really smooth with some rare moments of slowdown. Cheat must be enabled only while you are on game's title screen, otherwise the game will freeze.

If you want to be able to go back to 30FPS, also add this:
_C0 30 FPS
_L 0x20457A98 0x41F00000
_L 0x20457AA0 0x00000002
_L 0x20457AA4 0x3D088889

I hope John will read this, because I know how much it would mean to him :)