• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Join John Linneman and Rich Leadbetter for a look at Ghost of Tsushima compared across PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro, with a view on performance testing plus their thoughts on the game as a whole after a couple of weeks of play.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to years' worth of pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://teespring.com/en-GB/stores/di...

Companion piece to their tech video from yesterday.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- Pro has 'quality' and 'performance' modes. Performance mode runs at 1080p and irons out any dips to give a locked 30 FPS. (it doesn't unlock FPS beyond 30)
- Quality mode: 1800p via CB rendering. Performance mode: native 1080p (including all UI, which also drops to 1080p)
- Base PS4 runs at native 1080p and visually the same as Pro's 'performance' mode in terms of visuals.

- Base PS4 runs worse than PS4 Pro's "quality mode".
- More frequent stretches of 28~29 FPS during combat and some strenuous areas. However traversal runs at 30 FPS.
- "Smoother than the Witcher 3 and any recent Assassins Creed game".
- DF think engine streaming etc is good and implies the CPU end of the engine is sorted, any shortcoming might be from the GPU end.
- Hierarchy: Base PS4 is the worst, PS4 Quality is better with some drops and PS4 Performance is best with a rock solid 30 FPS.

- DF praises the exceptionally fast loading. Takes 6~8 seconds in fast traveling or returning from death.
- DF also theorizes about potential PS5 enhancements: Native 4K, 60 FPS etc.

- In comparison to E3 2018 video, John thinks beyond some detail on the ground appearing maybe slightly higher in the E3 demo, other assets like wind, animations etc look the same. They have not found the exact location in the game (yet) to do 1 : 1 comparison.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So Pro quality and Performance are both 30 FPS, the only difference is some pretty minor hiccups in quality? That doesn't sound like it's worth the massive drop in resolution

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So Pro quality and Performance are both 30 FPS, the only difference is some pretty minor hiccups in quality? That doesn't sound like it's worse the massive drop in resolution

Yes. Just like in Horizon, where Performance-Mode was just there to iron out dips below 30fps.

In both titles I would have prefered an unlocked fps option just like in Killzone.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
PS5 should be able to do 2K 60fps at least given the hardware.

I'll probably give this a go with PS5.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Wish i had the willpower to wait till PS5, but unfortunately I dont and base PS4 it is haha.

So cant watch the video atm, nor do I want to watch too much content. But does the game run wel enough? Drops to 28 is a non issue for me

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Would've liked a locked 30 on the OG, but a few frame drops aren't so bad.

Now to decide if I have the willpower to wait for PS5, or do I cave and buy it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
John's hopes/expectations for PS5 enhancements are very humble, lol. He says "maybe" they can push the game resolution from reconstructed 1800p to native 4K. Come on now, that is the least they should be able to do on PS5.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The game world is pretty empty, meaning not a lot of cities or highly densed villages or big castles, and the game cannot keep 30 fps?

Horizon was really smooth on base PS4

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I'm going to say this, the PS4 pro is one of the worst consoles ever. It's a damn shame they could make this game 60 FPS on the pro at least.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The minor frame drops don't bother me, as long as it doesn't literally become a slideshow

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So Pro quality and Performance are both 30 FPS, the only difference is some pretty minor hiccups in quality? That doesn't sound like it's worth the massive drop in resolution
I think quality mode also has other enhancements? Haven't watched the DF video yet but I saw another comparison video yesterday where bloom seemed to be more pronounced in quality mode

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Didnt ign or some reviewer said it was unplayable on the standard ps4? I am sure I read that on the review threat.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to watch. I know Jeff Gerstmann was really down on the performance, but yesterday's DF vid seemed to indicate that it was fine on the pro.

the bombcast was really weird

jeff says it's 'framey but then Brad and other Jeff immediately disagree. Then both other Jeff and Brad talk about how it's fairly boring and checkbox 'open world-ass open world' , but then proceed to spend 20 minutes talking about how much they enjoy being in the world, and the combat being fun etc (mostly Brad) - as though they actually really liked it

I was so confused

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
the bombcast was really weird

jeff says it's 'frame you but then Brad and other Jeff immediately disagree. Then both other Jeff and Brad talk about how it's fairly boring and checkbox 'open world-ass open world' , but then proceed to spend 20 minutes talking about how much they enjoy being in the world, and the combat being fun etc (mostly Brad) - as though they actually really liked it

I was so confused

I had the same reaction. They said they didn't like it that much, but then kept going on and on about things they liked about it.

For the record, I highly doubt this won't be uncapped to 60 with VRR and dynamic resolution for the PS5.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see the base PS4 is more or less a stable 30. Can't justify a Pro with the PS5 on the horizon.

Nov 2, 2017
It can easily run at 4k native 60fps on PS5. It depends on if SP built their engine to work at 60fps though.
No, it can't. I don't think people realise just how much power is required for native 4K60fps in current gen games. This game runs at 1800p with CB and 30fps on a Pro. And while the PS5 is easily 3x faster than a Pro that's still not enough for native 4k60fps in this game. I'm confident it can do 4K 60fps with CB though.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
The game world is pretty empty, meaning not a lot of cities or highly densed villages or big castles, and the game cannot keep 30 fps?

Horizon was really smooth on base PS4
I don't know anything about Tech, but couldn't the Reason for that be the 50 Million Particles like Leaves etc. that are constantly flying through the World? I imagine that is quite demanding.