• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yep, if people were honest those SBS comparisons only go to prove how good the X is, so hard to see the difference with insane vs X, the only tangible option is SSR on PC, the rest? Well there is a reason why zooming into the screen is necessary to show anything at all.

Don't get me wrong, PC gaming is great for higher frame rates etc, but damn is there a lot of PC justification that goes on, and honestly I think the X (sans ray tracing) is embarrassing the PC sector, and why my high end system has no graphics card.

I actually thought the difference in the texture pack was pretty staggering difference in the video.
The game is clearly built on really solid art and technical foundations, which is why even the regular Xbox version is even super impressive.

mad with any incremental improvement, it's when you take it away you often see the difference.

I was suprised how after even15 minutes of running around in Control at 720p, but with Ray tracing and everything enabled, it was quite apparent on returning to the X version how much was missing.
And control is an incredible looking game as it is on X

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I just want to say I don't like not having exclusive full screen in newer games. It makes a lot of things a pain for me. I like to use DSR since my monitor is still 1080p but I can mostly play at higher resolutions with my systems power. In a lot of games this past year I have to go change my resolution in Windows, make my desktop look weirdly scaled and launch game to get to downsample it. Then after playing switch desktop back to normal. I know this game has a resolution scaler in game and that works but not all games do. Also I read this game using the in game scaler makes the UI look different but I'm not sure about that.
Then it is also sometimes a pain when moving the mouse to bottom of screen and the damn taskbar pops up for whatever reason, as if I want to use that while playing my damn game. Granted I haven't had this issue with Gears 5 that I got on Steam but I have had it with pretty much every UWP game I've played on the Microsoft store and game pass. I'm sure I can come up with other reasons too why I prefer exclusive full screen for my games but those stand out.
I guess I can find settings to change in Windows but it's annoying to have to do when I never had to before with exclusive full screen games. Sometimes I've chosen to use borderless windowed in the past but I'd really prefer to have both options.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested before, but seeing this being handled with such dedication has gotten me really excited. Kudos to the team.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
W
Exactly, SSR is lovely but I'm just tired of the hyperbole which helps give 2080ti owners reasons to live, maybe I'd want that too if I had one, the PC game is awkwardly close to a £400 machine, and the comparison shows it.

People also want different things out of their hardware. Control looks absolutely amazing with all its Ray-tracing effects on, a peek into the next generation of realtime visuals at times, but even 2080Ti's seem to push it at ~40-70fps depending if DLSS is enabled. A lot of people probably aren't happy about that despite how advanced it looks compared to the poor console versions. But even though Gears 5 isn't targeting the latest and greatest PC tech those same people are running this at 120+fps maxed out, which looks stunning on high refresh rate monitors with Gsync and whatnot. For that segment of gamers they absolutely do have a lot to be happy about with this product paired with their high-end hardware, since they would argue that there's a world of difference between 60 and 120+ frames per second if you have the screen to support it.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I actually thought the difference in the texture pack was pretty staggering difference in the video.
The game is clearly built on really solid art and technical foundations, which is why even the regular Xbox version is even super impressive.

mad with any incremental improvement, it's when you take it away you often see the difference.

I was suprised how after even15 minutes of running around in Control at 720p, but with Ray tracing and everything enabled, it was quite apparent on returning to the X version how much was missing.
And control is an incredible looking game as it is on X
People also want different things out of their hardware. Control looks absolutely amazing with all its Ray-tracing effects on, a peek into the next generation of realtime visuals at times, but even 2080Ti's seem to push it at ~40-70fps depending if DLSS is enabled. A lot of people probably aren't happy about that despite how advanced it looks compared to the poor console versions. But even though Gears 5 isn't targeting the latest and greatest PC tech those same people are running this at 120+fps maxed out, which looks stunning on high refresh rate monitors with Gsync and whatnot. For that segment of gamers they absolutely do have a lot to be happy about with this product paired with their high-end hardware, since they would argue that there's a world of difference between 60 and 120+ frames per second if you have the screen to support it.

RT is a lovely technology, a proper advancement, but even that feels like tomorrow's tech today, when an 2080ti is basically the minimum requirement for performance and even then it struggles, but still its something I'd want in my games.

I conceded from the get-go framerate, but at the end of the day 4K 60 is where we are at with the comparison, like I said SSR is nice, but to me the video compliments the X, way more than the PC version, it just does not tie in with DF's narrative.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RT is a lovely technology, a proper advancement, but even that feels like tomorrow's tech today, when an 2080ti is basically the minimum requirement for performance and even then it struggles, but still its something I'd want in my games.

I conceded from the get-go framerate, but at the end of the day 4K 60 is where we are at with the comparison, like I said SSR is nice, but to me the video compliments the X, way more than the PC version, it just does not tie in the DF's narrative.
You might be actually biased, nothing wrong with that.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Also, my understanding is that Windows 10, like Windows 8 before it, forces the use of the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) compositor, meaning that applications running in borderless windowed will have triple buffering applied to them by default, eliminating tearing even when Vsync is disabled. If you run either SOTR or Control in their respective full screen modes with Vsync off, you get screen tearing, which suggests that they're bypassing the DWM, just like any exclusive full screen application.

Care to explain how exactly they work? Genuine question. The display resolution even becomes grayed out when selecting "borderless" in those games.
While "real" exclusive fullscreen doesn't exist in windows 10 anymore, the OS can emulate it's behavior when told to. So you basically can benefits (?) of FSE like no V-sync and uncapped framerate, while being able to alt-tab at any moment and see notifications. There's really no reason for modern game not to use FSE unless the devs don't want to.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Exactly, SSR is lovely but I'm just tired of the hyperbole which helps give 2080ti owners reasons to live, maybe I'd want that too if I had one, the PC game is awkwardly close to a £400 machine, and the comparison shows it.
You can't expect the same result for the majority of multiplatform games. For XBox games, I give them that. I think it's more to do with how well optimized the games are.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't you a big advocate for OLED TVs over LCDs? How is that different when people advocate for high end PCs ?

I don't see the relevance. An OLED has advantages over an LCD, just like an LCD has advantages over an OLED, what we are talking about here is one platforms version of a game that's supposed to be slam dunking another when that isnt happening. The PC version should be better at every turn and noticeably so....if you can hand on heart say you can see the huge difference then fair enough.

I'm not saying people shouldn't buy high end PCs (I have a GPU-less one at present) PCs are far more flexible and have more power than a fixed console, and I get it, but many other PC games also don't have much between them and the X version, but there are some that do, and the 30 fps nature of the X is its main bottleneck a lot of the time. Like I said what a £400 machine it is, and it's a couple of years old to boot.

You can't expect the same result for the majority of multiplatform games. For XBox games, I give them that. I think it's more to do with how well optimized the games are.

I think it makes a hell of a good account of itself in many games, but no not all games.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Ya i wasnt sure, i recall you saying that with all high settings + ultra bloom and lens flare the 580 is about 45 fps and 1060 40 fps at 1440p with no resolution scaling? Thats lower than the lowest resolution John mentioned for the X. The settings where the X is lower than high were the ones you said didnt change performance much. Wasnt the X high for the performance sappers vol lighting and reflections?

Btw i hope you cover the new RTX GI on all light sources in the metro expansion pack!
X1x was below high for basically every setting except for shadows and cone step Mapping. And even then, i did not say it in the Video, but I found instances (like in the menu) where shadows on high are in fact higher res than those on x1x.

Gears 5 may adjust some settings on a per Level Basis I think - I never asked the Coalition though.

If you dropped everything to x1x settings, i am pretty Sure the rx 580 would perform the exact same basically. Though, well, there is no reflection setting low enough to Match x1x...

And I would contend that the game having little to no ssr on x1x and then having glossy ssr for nearly every surface is a big difference. It completely changes the way the base materials Look in the game.

That should be really obvious when the article with the Image comparison Tool goes up.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Agree the that this definitely isn't a port. I'm sure Dictator just blurted that out out of excitement :p

HDTVtest did a nice HDR settings guide for the game.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
This just looks so good on both the consoles and PC. It really looks The Coalition has the pipelines all set for the next-gen Xbox too.
Microsoft can indeed set up a brand new studio manage it well and for it to deliver AAA single-player games.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
X1x was below high for basically every setting except for shadows and cone step Mapping. And even then, i did not say it in the Video, but I found instances (like in the menu) where shadows on high are in fact higher res than those on x1x.

Gears 5 may adjust some settings on a per Level Basis I think - I never asked the Coalition though.

If you dropped everything to x1x settings, i am pretty Sure the rx 580 would perform the exact same basically. Though, well, there is no reflection setting low enough to Match x1x...

And I would contend that the game having little to no ssr on x1x and then having glossy ssr for nearly every surface is a big difference. It completely changes the way the base materials Look in the game.

That should be really obvious when the article with the Image comparison Tool goes up.

Gotcha, thx for the extra info.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So if I understand this correctly, the Xbox One X does a better job with handling dynamic resolution scaling up to 4k? I also noticed the same microstutter when panning and even certain sections that would consistently stutter and drop framerates to 40 when spinning the camera at 4k with min framerate set to 60. The framerate drops become less obvious as I drop rendering resolution until I hit something like 1440p, where I can opt to disable dynamic res without problem with my 1080 Ti.

Edit:
I guess part of my problem is my insistence on using ultra/insane settings.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
But performance is in line with what we expect are comparable desktop GPUs, it's not like The Coalition did something on X that's completely impossible on the aforementioned GPUs. Without first making some big concessions, you'd need something like a 2080 Ti to do what you're asking, and, spoiler alert, you're not getting that in a $500 box in 2020.
Look, I'm not asking for anything. All I'm saying is a lot of you armchair hardware engineers were doubting the X (when announced) could deliver high quality 4k 60fps at $500, it has done so. No PC can outperform the X at $500. No PC will outperform the Scarlett at its price point. Spoiler Alert, no one but actual MS and Sony engineers know what the each system will capable of...

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017

I think X1X version adjusts settings for different levels/scenes ( which is a smart thing to do )

I certainly noticed that SSR can go from Medium to High and Volumetric Fog can definitely go up to High PC level depending on the scene. I have seen this today when i played Act 2 Chapter 3. Textures are also better than PC High but a bit worse than Ultra.

I think I actually prefer console version... AO seems to be missing from certain areas but I actually prefer "lighter" look of the game, it feels like levels and scenes were designed for that level of AO. Dynamic SSR feels right as well, when you set it on High+ on PC reflections are in more places and even reflective surfaces can get bigger( noticed a little and subtle puddle on the same level is way bigger when SSR is cranked up and also SSR artifacts when you change camera angle are more in your face that way ) also noticed another puddle that did not have a reflection in PC version but had one on console... yeah i spent a bit too much time in that specific level haha.

I know i should have made screens.... maybe tomorrow lol.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Look, I'm not asking for anything. All I'm saying is a lot of you armchair hardware engineers were doubting the X (when announced) could deliver high quality 4k 60fps at $500, it has done so. No PC can outperform the X at $500. No PC will outperform the Scarlett at its price point. Spoiler Alert, no one but actual MS and Sony engineers know what the each system will capable of...

Gears 5 isnt 4k on the X.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 isnt 4k on the X.

Saying it isn't 4K is sort of half true: It often runs at native 4K, and otherwise it's using reconstruction to get underlying geometry up to "2160p," and the post-process pipeline runs at the actual output res. Like, it's variable, but still definitely targeting 4K.

~4K/60 for a generational showcase like this does fly in the face of early assumptions of what the 1X would realistically be able to do. It's pretty much exceeded expectations because the engineering was handled well.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
People didn't want to believe a $500 console could deliver 4k 60fps before the X but here we are...

Exactly. This game doesn't achieve either native 4K or a stable 60fps on the Xbox One X.

Saying it isn't 4K is sort of half true: It often runs at native 4K, and otherwise it's using reconstruction to get geometry up to 2160p, and the post-process pipeline is still native 4K. Like, it's variable, but still definitely targeting 4K.

~4K/60 for a generational showcase like this does fly in the face of early assumptions of what the 1X would realistically be able to do. It's pretty much exceeded everyone's expectations because the engineering was handled so well.

How does "targeting 4K" equal 4K? You could target 4K in every game on a Switch. I'm not downplaying what The Coalition's been able to achieve with the X hardware at all, but I also don't get the need to use marketing speak to play up its capabilities.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Saying it isn't 4K is sort of half true: It often runs at native 4K, and otherwise it's using reconstruction to get geometry up to 2160p, and the post-process pipeline is still native 4K. Like, it's variable, but still definitely targeting 4K.

~4K/60 for a generational showcase like this does fly in the face of early assumptions of what the 1X would realistically be able to do. It's pretty much exceeded everyone's expectations because the engineering was handled so well.

Not a half truth at all IMO. It drops far, far below 4k constantly. This doesnt make it any less impressive

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
But performance is in line with what we expect are comparable desktop GPUs, it's not like The Coalition did something on X that's completely impossible on the aforementioned GPUs. Without first making some big concessions, you'd need something like a 2080 Ti to do what you're asking, and, spoiler alert, you're not getting that in a $500 box in 2020.
Wouldn't the One X version still have some advantages because settings are probably not a one-to-one match, so the developer could optimize each level to get the best out of the hardware? I have both and choose to play on PC at near max settings with dynamic res enabled, but I would be lying if I said the visual differences between what I see on PC and the One X are easily noticeable unless I actually go looking for them. The visual makeup is mostly intact while still giving you the benefits of hitting 60fps and 4k with the One X.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Not a half truth at all IMO. It drops far, far below 4k constantly. This doesnt make it any less impressive

With that clarification, I don't disagree at all. I was more responding to the idea that it outright isn't 4K, when it does run at native for some parts (and because the native end-of-pipeline rendering is a pretty effective touch on top of the reconstruction).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's dynamic 4K at 60fps which drops frames. Obviously still impressive given the hardware but a lot of people act like it's native 4K at locked 60. I guess the CPU is too weak to achieve 60fps locked no matter what resolution it runs at.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game performance on lower end hardware is so impressive.
I'm actually playing the game at 1440p (well with the dynamic setting enabled for a min fps of 60) with a mix of high and ultra settings on a RX 570 and it's been great.
Sure it doesn't hold native res at all times at those settings but I'm more than fine with the results.
And no stutters on my end while enabling a min framerate of 60.

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler alert: We have a real good damn idea what AMD is capable of on 7nm, both in terms of die size and power draw, and you aren't getting anything like a 2080 Ti next year, in a console.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think I actually prefer console version... AO seems to be missing from certain areas but I actually prefer "lighter" look of the game, it feels like levels and scenes were designed for that level of AO. Dynamic SSR feels right as well, when you set it on High+ on PC reflections are in more places and even reflective surfaces can get bigger( noticed a little and subtle puddle on the same level is way bigger when SSR is cranked up and also SSR artifacts when you change camera angle are more in your face that way ) also noticed another puddle that did not have a reflection in PC version but had one on console... yeah i spent a bit too much time in that specific level haha.
You may indeed prefer it that way, but I do not think that is at all what the developers prefer. Rather the X1X is a grouping of necessary trade offs to hit higher resolutions and maintain 60 fps - not the intended artistic or technical version of the game.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Gears 4 ran wonderfully, but this is even better somehow.

I'm outputting 2160p with dynamic resolution on (targeting 60hz), everything on Ultra but with SSR on Insane.

This is with a GTX 1080, and I'm not seeing the 59fps stutter. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to notice, but it looks much smoother than in the video where I do see it. Has the dynamic scaling already been updated perhaps?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
On PC, when I have a minimum framerate target on at all, I notice a pretty constant "pulse" between native and reconstructed even when I'm on scenes/screens that definitely aren't close to stressing performance. For testing this, I was running at 1080p even though I'm on an RTX 2070, and this was still manifesting. My settings don't really need the feature, but I wonder how many people noting IQ/AO oddities are seeing some extension of this behavior.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having issues with stuttering during cutscenes to the point that I've stopped playing until it gets patched

I had the same issues all in the last act of the game. Every cutscene either froze or I just got a black screen with the loading icon and audio only.

I had a good time with the campaign, but wow the game got buggy as hell in acts 3 and 4 on pc for me. Side quests not registering as complete, the previously mentioned cutscene issues, freezing while loading into a new area, skiff getting stuck inside of terrain even though it was on a flat surface when I got off, as well as crashing to desktop randomly.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yep, if people were honest those SBS comparisons only go to prove how good the X is, so hard to see the difference with insane vs X, the only tangible option is SSR on PC, the rest? Well there is a reason why zooming into the screen is necessary to show anything at all.

Don't get me wrong, PC gaming is great for higher frame rates etc, but damn is there a lot of PC justification that goes on, and honestly I think the X (sans ray tracing) is embarrassing the PC sector, and why my high end system has no graphics card.
The only self justification post I've seen in this thread is this one.

With my 2080Ti I get to enjoy a truly locked 60fps, a truly native and locked 2160p, improved IQ, higher quality textures, and much faster load times.

What the X does for its price and form factor is nothing short of incredible, but let's not pretend there's no noticeable difference between the two platforms, otherwise the next generation would be redundant, because it's unlikely the next gen consoles will have GPUs that even match the 2080Ti.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

I conceded from the get-go framerate, but at the end of the day 4K 60 is where we are at with the comparison, like I said SSR is nice, but to me the video compliments the X, way more than the PC version, it just does not tie in with DF's narrative.

Digital Foundry's narrative is that this port runs fantastically on PC, is it not? I don't see the issue there, this game is as well optimized on PC as it is on an Xbox One X. I doubt 2080Ti owners are jumping through hoops justifying the existence of that card when they're playing this at 100+fps with ultra quality visuals, while the X is roughly medium+ settings with drops from 60fps.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
This game gave me more problems on PC than any other recent game I can remember . Most was fine but act 4 turned almost unplayable with the stutter.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have unlimited, should I change it to something else?

Chances are unlimited is right for you, though it partly depends on your setup. If you have Vsync enabled (most do) at the driver/Windows level, I wouldn't expect stutter. And if you have Gsync or Freesync, unlimited is again the right call. I've seen a few people not realizing that the cinematics defaulted to the 30-fps limiter, and that the OS-level vsync overrides the in-game option, but those are the only things other than actual stutter that jump to mind.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Chances are unlimited is right for you, though it partly depends on your setup. If you have Vsync enabled (most do) at the driver/Windows level, I wouldn't expect stutter. And if you have Gsync or Freesync, unlimited is again the right call. I've seen a few people not realizing that the cinematics defaulted to the 30-fps limiter, and that the OS-level vsync overrides the in-game option, but those are the only things other than actual stutter that jump to mind.
I will have to check my settings when I get home but I think I disabled v-sync. Thank you for the advice though, I really want to play Gears 5

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
The only self justification post I've seen in this thread is this one.

With my 2080Ti I get to enjoy a truly locked 60fps, a truly native and locked 2160p, improved IQ, higher quality textures, and much faster load times.

What the X does for its price and form factor is nothing short of incredible, but let's not pretend there's no noticeable difference between the two platforms, otherwise the next generation would be redundant, because it's unlikely the next gen consoles will have GPUs that even match the 2080Ti.
Digital Foundry's narrative is that this port runs fantastically on PC, is it not? I don't see the issue there, this game is as well optimized on PC as it is on an Xbox One X. I doubt 2080Ti owners are jumping through hoops justifying the existence of that card when they're playing this at 100+fps with ultra quality visuals, while the X is roughly medium+ settings with drops from 60fps.

I'm not saying that there are no differences, I'm saying that the side by side footage and DF's "way beyond" line, do not hold up in their comparison.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

It's always the same thing, GTAV on PS4 vs Xbox? PS4 has slightly more grass in a few areas? 100 page shitstorm on Neogaf, but if PC has better visuals across the board "there is no difference, PC isn't worth it"
Been a similar story since Gen 7, where people would go crazy over 700p vs 720p, but PC at 1080p/60fps was "no difference"

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This game gave me more problems on PC than any other recent game I can remember . Most was fine but act 4 turned almost unplayable with the stutter.
Yeah it's odd, as for me the game has felt like I'm playing a beta. I've had so many graphical bugs on a 2060. I've had textures not load in or have had the entire environment covered in muddy textures, even areas with no geometry. Ultra textures also cause stuttering and causes very unstable cutscenes that crashed the game multiple times. Turning off Tiled Resources (which the game says to leave on) and uninstalling the ultra textures resolved these issues though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not saying that there are no differences, I'm saying that the side by side footage and DF's "way beyond" line, do not hold up in their comparison.
Ok, fair enough. But I'd expect DF is basing that line on comparing the two games IRL on a 4K HDR TV, rather than watching compressed YouTube footage on their smart phone or whatever. For example, there are huge differences in the image quality of games between even just the Pro and the X (RDR2 for example) when actually playing it on a large 4K TV, but you wouldn't know it from looking at YouTube footage.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
It's always the same thing, GTAV on PS4 vs Xbox? PS4 has slightly more grass in a few areas? 100 page shitstorm on Neogaf, but if PC has better visuals across the board "there is no difference, PC isn't worth it"
Been a similar story since Gen 7, where people would go crazy over 700p vs 720p, but PC at 1080p/60fps was "no difference"

I'm just saying what I'm seeing, there is a reason why I sold my 1080ti. Like I said if you can see the huge gulf that DF are telling us there is, then good for you.