• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

7. octopath traveller
6. assassin's creed odyssey
5. dragon ball fighterZ
4. pokemon let's go pikachu/eevee
3. forza horizon 4
2. call of duty: black ops 4
1. super smash bros. ultimate

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Was about to make a thread about this. Certainly a great list! Both picked Forza Horizon, and the title certainly looks fun and stunning.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i'm so interested to find out what makes someone come to a thread that they don't know what it's about and contribute with a "who?" or "what?"

lol yeah, the only game they have in common is FH4.

well give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe they like digital foundry, and are curious about their game of the year choice? So only one part of the title they are having difficulty with.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe they like digital foundry, and are curious about their game of the year choice? So only one part of the title they are having difficulty with.
i think it would still be rude to do that, but i know it's not their first time dismissing a thread with a post like that
here and here for example

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the video makes me want to finally buy and play octopath. it really does look amazing and unique, and the music is beautiful. i just wish i read more positive things about the story.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
the video makes me want to finally buy and play octopath. it really does look amazing and unique, and the music is beautiful. i just wish i read more positive things about the story.
I like it too but I don't love it. For me personally, I found the random battles too frequent and battle length too drawn out. Every battle is a time investment that starts to feel tedious. Which is a shame because many elements are super well done.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it too but I don't love it. For me personally, I found the random battles too frequent and battle length too drawn out. Every battle is a time investment that starts to feel tedious. Which is a shame because many elements are super well done.
i hope they keep the same style and focus more on gameplay and narrative for a sequel, they have a chance to create a classic.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I find this one kinda lamish compared to Jonh.
But its a nice video, I like that even so he chooses the game he still offers criticism. Good stuff.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious as to what Randy Johnson thinks about this one...

Do you post on youtube as well?
XTNmkPh.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see Octopath represented! I love the game and, while it didn't click with me in quite the same way as some similar games this year, it nearly made it onto my top ten. It's a stunning looking game too. Very striking.

Great list.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Every battle is a time investment that starts to feel tedious.
During the first hours, yes. When you realize how fast you can wipe big groups of enemies thanks to strong class combinations, and how the game doesn't punish the player at all for using powerful magic/skills all the time, you can finish most mob fights fairly fast if you know what you're doing.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
During the first hours, yes. When you realize how fast you can wipe big groups of enemies thanks to strong class combinations, and how the game doesn't punish the player at all for using powerful magic/skills all the time, you can finish most mob fights fairly fast if you know what you're doing.
Hmm, seems like I need to jump back in then and keep going.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really like octopath, finished 4 stories and on final chapters with other 4. Need to finish them on christmas finally. Is there much end game content after finishing all stories?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Most of the fun during the combats is trying class combinations and how you can keep breaking the game more and more IMO.
Really like octopath, finished 4 stories and on final chapters with other 4. Need to finish them on christmas finally. Is there much end game content after finishing all stories?
No. Aside from the 8 stories, there's some side quests and a final boss rush section (including two exclusive really hard bosses that serve as the global boss) that you need to unlock (basically you need to complete 2 side quests and finish the 8 stories, note that the 2 side quest have multiple steps).

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's certainly a list. I think only smash would make mine and it's towards the bottom. John had a much better list

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
With the exception of Oddyssey I have played and enjoyed all of the games. Great list as well, keep them coming!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Can't say I particularly disagree with any of these from what I've played. Interesting to see a list that doesn't have the usual single-player cinematic Western games on it.

Well that's certainly a list. I think only smash would make mine and it's towards the bottom. John had a much better list

No list is better or worse than any other, just different.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's cool to see Tom's list because for the life of me I can never really get a sense of his gaming tastes watching most of his df vids unlike those of John's or Richard's.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'd recommend giving it another go and approaching the combat a little differently. Even in the beginning, battles should be incredibly snappy; it's only if you aren't interacting with the Break/Boost systems correctly that they become drawn out. The combat is about setting up Breaks on bosses for when you have your damage-dealer(s) primed to do full damage — boss debuffed, damage-dealer(s) buffed, full boost available, boom. Unlike most JRPGs, buffs and debuffs are crucial.

Any given Chapter 1 boss could take half an hour if the player is wasting Break windows on basic attacks, but if the player starts setting maximizing their boosted damage output during breaks, bosses die in only a minute or two. Likewise, random encounters start melting away when utilizing boosted AoE (Apothecary's Last Stand and Scholar's spells are particularly potent). That's how exponential a difference there is between optimal damage output and sub-optimal.

If battles were too frequent, I'd highly recommend using the Scholar job's first passive, which reduces the encounter rate by 50%, making it so you can go entire screens without battles.