• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x did his top 8 GOTY for 2018 (plus a rediscovered retro game), great video and choices!

8. Dusk
7. Forza Horizon 4
6. God of War
5. Marvel's Spider Man
4. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
3. Mega Man 11
2. Tetris Effect
Retro game: Dynamite Headdy
1. Wonder Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought The John Linneman Collection was actually the name of some obscure indie gem, bummer.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
About to wrap up Monster Boy myself and I too would rank it very high on my list. Good show.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Glad to see Tetris so high up there. Great game.

I guess I should play Monster Boy. I got the remake and didn't love it tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Solid list, though I strongly disagree with the inclusion of Tetris Effect.

Astrobot is another game that says nothing to me, and the barrier of entry is just way too high for me to even try it.

Maybe I'll try Monster Boy on Switch, but I found Dragon's Trap a bit dull beyond its amazing art style.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Good list (and yes, Dynamite Headdy was ace), but I just don't "get" megaman 11. I love the series, but I didn't feel at all like it was a particularly stand out entry.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Now that is a list. I wanna play Astrobot so badly, but I simply don't have the space for a VR Setup ;_;

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Boy is one of my favorite games released in ages. I'm really glad to see people starting to give it recognition. For a while there, it seemed like it was going to fade into obscurity.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
PS4 has become such an essential console. Half those games can't be played anywhere else. It's been a wild year for the system

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I wish PSVR was truly wireless. There is no way I can safely disconnect everything in my entertainment system without some massive aesthetic changes - moreover- incorporate PSVR without wires popping up.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'The Linneman Collection' would make a great title for a DF Retro compilation on Blu Ray.

....That I would totally buy.

WINK WINK.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Dude sure loves his exclusives..
Do you post on youtube as well?
XTNmkPh.png

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I'm really not a fan of the way Dragon's Trap looked, and the reception wasn't amazing, so I kind of ignored Monster Boy. But with John's comments and the footage shown here, I'm sold. Still not into the visuals, but it looks like a fantastic game, holy shit.

Looking forward to the PC release.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Dynamite Headdy has been seriously underrated so it's great to see more love for it. Although I was able to finish it bitd, the western version is probably too hard for its own good and I don't think the sprite edits were for the better. Also Maruyama is pretty hilarious and it sucks that all the dialogue was removed: there's a translation rom hack for those curious.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see Tetris so high up there. Great game.

I guess I should play Monster Boy. I got the remake and didn't love it tbh.

Monster Boy is a much more enjoyable (and in my opinion much better) game than Dragon's Trap - not wishing to look down on the remarkable artistic work done for the remake. Its design is unsurprisingly more sophisticated, there are several massive quality of life improvements (switching monster forms on the fly, for instance), and it's much more recognisable as a modern Metroidvania-esque game. I didn't love the remake either, but am very impressed with Monster Boy.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I'm really not a fan of the way Dragon's Trap looked, and the reception wasn't amazing, so I kind of ignored Monster Boy. But with John's comments and the footage shown here, I'm sold. Still not into the visuals, but it looks like a fantastic game, holy shit.

Looking forward to the PC release.

Same thing I came to say. He just sold me on Monster Boy.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Really fun video to watch.

I've got monster boy on my wish list. Working off some other games but I plan to get to it

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
4 PS4 Exclusives
1 PC Exclusive
1 XB Exclusive (GFWL V 2 doesn't count considering how terrible the storefront is)
Monster Boy is console exclusive with a PC version as a question mark
Exclusivity doesn't even enter into the mind of a normal person when evaluating games. If this is all you can think about when you're watching this video, then you need to grow up.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
4 PS4 Exclusives
1 PC Exclusive
1 XB Exclusive (GFWL V 2 doesn't count considering how terrible the storefront is)
That I never even considered it from this perspective is interesting to me. I just went with what I enjoyed independent of the platform since I don't really care about that aspect (I own hundreds of consoles after all).

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 PS4 Exclusives
1 PC Exclusive
And?

Exclusives are often the biggest budget games out there, of course it'll result in gems.

Get that console warrior BS outta here, man. I mean, can we not?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy to see Headdy get a shout.

Still skeptical anout tetris effect lol. But this is an interesting list!