• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they just ran out of time. I really want to play this game (FFVII is one of my favorite games), but now I am thinking about waiting for the PC release. Not sure if I can hold out for a year though.
there probably were some changes when they took the game from CC2 and made it internally. that probably had an effect

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt it's a hardwar3 limitation. There are nicer looking game PS4 games with bigger worlds that have much better textures than FF7.
This is what I think as well. Every game is different and sure the hardware is getting old, but there are plenty of games doing more (interactive and larger environments etc) that don't suffer from these issues.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UE4 games in general seem prone to pop-in issues (Fallen Order, Outer Worlds, etc. Only Gears 5 seems immune since it's more optimized and also uses DX12 on PC)

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
UE4 games in general seem prone to pop-in issues (Fallen Order, Outer Worlds, etc. Only Gears 5 seems immune since it's more optimized and also uses DX12 on PC)
Sure but what I see a bit of isn't pop-in, it is textures not loading in at all, or textures that do load look really low-res.
It is also meshes that look like the lowest res version of an asset as if the LOD is broken.
In those games to do the higher quality assets eventually load? And they are just slow to appear? haven't played either.

Hopefully it is a bug but they would have been really aware of it as entire cut scenes at times frame around these problem assets.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Sure but what I see a bit of isn't pop-in, it is textures not loading in at all, or textures that do load look really low-res.
It is also meshes that look like the lowest res version of an asset as if the LOD is broken.
In those games to do the higher quality assets eventually load? And they are just slow to appear? haven't played either.

Hopefully it is a bug but they would have been really aware of it as entire cut scenes at times frame around these problem assets.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from what I remember Fallen Order only had pop in with the textures loading in slow but eventually showing up.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People are fooling themselfes if they think that a patch to correct the textures is all that would be needed to correct this second screenshot

You could put the best texture in the world in it, it wouldn't matter. It's lacking also in geometry, not only textures.

It's a pile of trash that looks like a wall, completely in 2D

I would boot FF XV again If I were you

The game has excellent lighting and animations, but it can look really rough in some places.

LOD and environmental detail in general is really poor. Lighting can be hit or miss due to dynamic day and night cycle. Dithering everywhere, specially hair. Also, framepacing issues on all consoles.

FF VII looks much more polished in general. But it's a linear game, so it should be expected.
I'd say this is more of an LoD issue than a texture issue.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
92578350_3069358389767257_3125539222757310464_o.jpg

This photo was taken from the FF7:R facebook page and the textures here appear pretty low-quality here, even if some of the blurriness is because of bokeh-effect

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

yeah sometimes Fallen Order also didn't load textures and geometry either at all or for several seconds, or it didn't load certain shaders right away. Perhaps a caching issue

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe the PS4 is draw call limited compared to DX12? My understanding is that the PS4 doesn't use Vulkan/DX12, and instead uses a custom API. Since it is a UE4 game, they probably started the development on PC (I think I remember reading that this is a normal practice for many console games, even outside of UE4), then they "fitted" it down to the target system, and the result is the product of the necessary cut backs due to less available system resources / different API. Just my guess.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the PS4 is draw call limited compared to DX12? My understanding is that the PS4 doesn't use Vulkan/DX12, and instead uses a custom API. Since it is a UE4 game, they probably started the development on PC (I think I remember reading that this is a normal practice for many console games, even outside of UE4), then they "fitted" it down to the target system, and the result is the product of the necessary cut backs due to less available system resources / different API. Just my guess.
It'll be interesting to see how the PC version does next year. Sometimes fast storage or enabling the shader cache on PC can help

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well the game is out digital tonight in Australia. If there's no patch when I wake up tomorrow Ill just play it as is. So bummed because I bought a PS4 Pro just for this game because I was so excited for it. Feel like a fool and may as well just have played it on PS4 and then again on the PS5 in proper graphics.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean I don't know much about this but for the people saying this game is taxing the ps4 pro to its limits with the vram limitations ect what are the chances the base ps4 with a lower resolution is having same problems in the same exact place?

Wouldn't that point more towards a bug within the engine itself?

Everything seems to be pointing at it not being an hardware limit or a bug. It's a matter of budget constraint and limited time for the development. The game has been rushed out without much optimization in these regards. If you play the game you know it's not just a matter of texture here and there but also geometry and even game design (extremely linear areas, rushed chapters, raw sidequests, dull moments). This is the result of a once more troubled development for a main FF. Regardless the game is still charming and worth checking, but it's definitely not a great looker or game to compare graphically with any other modern known triple AAA title around, including other Square Enix titles... just to say, KH3 is on another level in overall polishing and a more refined experience both graphically and gameplay.

Edit. the closest comparison I can make here it's saying that ff7 remake is closer to Lightning Returns than FFXIII. The difference between a more polished FF with a greater budget on the same console vs another one running on the same engine and console but on a more limited budget and time.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Everything seems to be pointing at it not being an hardware limit or a bug. It's a matter of budget constraint and limited time for the development. The game has been rushed out without much optimization in these regards. If you play the game you know it's not just a matter of texture here and there but also geometry and even game design (extremely linear areas, rushed chapters, raw sidequests, dull moments). This is the result of a once more troubled development for a main FF. Regardless the game is still charming and worth checking, but it's definitely not a great looker or game to compare graphically with any other modern known triple AAA title around, including other Square Enix titles... just to say, KH3 is on another level in overall polishing and a more refined experience both graphically and gameplay.

Edit. the closest comparison I can make here it's saying that ff7 remake is closer to Lightning Returns than FFXIII. The difference between a more polished FF with a greater budget on the same console vs another one running on the same engine and console but on a more limited budget and time.
I honesly don't believe this. The game comes on two discs, that's over 90 gb of data, at launch (no patches or DLC) and without a multiplayer mode. I haven't seen anything in this game that is so out there that the PS4 couldn't handle it. Like, at all. Also, the game's been in development for over 5 years, it wasn't rushed. Something doesn't add up here.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, thinking I'll wait until the PS5 version. It seems good in a lot of ways, but it could be a bit better and I'm pretty certain it'll get a re-release next year if not at the PS5's launch.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah the game had plenty of development time so that's no excuse. I wouldn't put it past square that it won't be fixed day one . Hopefully down the road so I might wait for that.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

In my Gears 4 screenshots in the previous page, the textures never load. It also happened more frequently when running various settings at max, so I'm guessing I'm being resource-starved (my 780 GPU running out of VRAM most likely).

I do not know if this is the same issue with FF 7 because my Gears 4 texture problems was random. I could boot up the game and see character textures just fine, then on a second reboot, high quality character textures would stop loading in.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i am probably selling my copy and will rebuy until/if it is fixed. i just cant deal with it (stopped in chapter 8 a week ago).
shame that there is zero communication from square. i still have a tiny bit of hope left for a d1 patch but lets be honest: its not coming.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Except Outer Worlds and Jedi Fallen Order are on Xbox One as well as the latter is rather egregious when it comes to pop-in on said platform.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I think 2019 Modern Warfare does a pretty good job at seamlessly switching between FMV and real time cutscene.

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
Came here to see if there is any comment from square regarding the low texture.

The lack of communication especially from Japanese companies can get frustrating.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a shame that one can't just appreciate the beauty and art of FFVIIR, but that there has to be one big downside: Being the awful textures and low detail environments in some chapters. It's so strange after the game looked so polished and near flawless in the demo and early sections of the game.
Since the game is offically now out, have there been any news on a patch that might fix or improve some of the low detail issues?

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Well apparently someone in the main office tested positive for covid 19 so everyone was sent home. Might have disrupted any progress on patch for this game if their indeed was one.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You people are crazy, with all due respect. Got to chapter 3 during the day. Everything looks wonderful. The infamous doors and sink are such a small thing lol. The slums have so much character and are so alive.

this is really one of the most beautiful games ever made. Lighting looks wonderful even during the day. Maybe it's my HDR? Regardless, I can't believe the hundreds of posts on this insignificant issue. Maybe it gets worse later?

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
You people are crazy, with all due respect. Got to chapter 3 during the day. Everything looks wonderful. The infamous doors and sink are such a small thing lol. The slums have so much character and are so alive.

this is really one of the most beautiful games ever made. Lighting looks wonderful even during the day. Maybe it's my HDR? Regardless, I can't believe the hundreds of posts on this insignificant issue. Maybe it gets worse later?
I don't know. A low resolution door thrown in my face goes a long way to taking me out of the game and remembering it's a video game. It bothers me a lot.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm right at the part of Cloud's appartment door texture, and it looked bizarre.

But the next scene, everything is gorgeous again. Weirdly uneven.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017

It is great you feel this way and it didn't effect your play through. But it is much more than just a door and a sink, in ch03 there so many assets like that.
There are lots of very low res 3d meshes all over as well as texture issues. Door handles, junk piles, poor looking npc models, unfinished floor textures that the game constantly frames cut scenes around on a side mission.

The issue is everywhere, if you didn't notice it, great but it really stood out to me. Especially after the quality of presentation in the opening chapters and the quality of the character models.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm ~25 hours in, and this really is one of the most visually inconsistent games I've ever played.

Some sections look incredible. Other areas look like they're from a low budget PS3 game. Some environment textures take a while to load in, and others are just permanently at a PS2-level state. The models for the main characters look incredible, while most of the NPC's look worse than those of GTA V. And they're repeated everywhere too, even within the same small towns. I'm not someone who usually would even notice this kind of stuff, but it's pretty blatant.

And the environments aren't particularly expansive either, so I'm not sure what happened.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some of this low texture stuff looks so wrong and out of place that it looks more like a bug? Some of it is bizarre.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

I shared similar thoughts until chapter 8. It didn't affect my enjoyment that much but it was distracting.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Square say the game was 100gb and would have two bluray discs worth of assets? Because... that that doesn't seem to be the case. The first disc installs data, but the second disc doesn't seem to install anymore? I put it in and there was no further installation bar. I checked the game size and it's only 85gb. This doesn't change when I boot the game either.

As far as I know the PS4 installs the content of the disc, and doesn't stream from it so there's no data on the play disc that is used beyond the authorization when booting the game?

Could there have been some late development issue and that 15gb+ of data missing be the higher resolution versions of these textures?

Please let me know if I'm wrong on anything.

Edit: Disregard.

Last edited:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Square say the game was 100gb and would have two bluray discs worth of assets? Because... that that doesn't seem to be the case. The first disc installs data, but the second disc doesn't seem to install anymore? I put it in and there was no further installation bar. I checked the game size and it's only 85gb. This doesn't change when I boot the game either.

As far as I know the PS4 installs the content of the disc, and doesn't stream from it so there's no data on the play disc that is used beyond the authorization when booting the game?

Could there have been some late development issue and that 15gb+ of data missing be the higher resolution versions of these textures?

Please let me know if I'm wrong on anything.
The second disc allows you to play whilst it installs.