• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Makes waiting for PC version easier tbh.

Like FFXV, it should launch with 4K textures. The TAA can probably be disabled with engine edits (as with other UE4 games on PC), and we'll be able to downsample for AA instead thank fuck. Actual 4K will treat this game nice, it really cleaned up FFXV at least when I downsampled from 5k.

Different teams so unfortunately not a guarantee. The team is probably working full steam on Part 2 at that point when it releases.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Different teams so unfortunately not a guarantee. The team is probably working full steam on Part 2 at that point when it releases.

What's to say the 4K textures aren't already done? Most likely a vast majority of the assets are high-res 4K+ and just scaled back for current consoles. It's gonna be weird if the next-gen port is also hampered by low-res textures tbh. Like next-gen consoles could probably run the game at native 4K, but what is the point if the assets will still be crap?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't directly related, but I figured this would be a decent place and I didn't want to venture into the OT for fear of spoilers.

I downloaded the game, and I'm playing on a new 47 inch Samsung that I got. But I was surprised to see artifacting around the text in the PS4 OS menus. You can see it in this image a little (ignore the pixelation effect, look between the i and l in "file", for instance).

Does anyone have an explanation and/or possible fix for this? I admit the HDMI cable seems to be "cheap", but I'm hesitant that that's the issue...

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
What's to say the 4K textures aren't already done? Most likely a vast majority of the assets are high-res 4K+ and just scaled back for current consoles. It's gonna be weird if the next-gen port is also hampered by low-res textures tbh. Like next-gen consoles could probably run the game at native 4K, but what is the point if the assets will still be crap?

Could be but FFXV team was pretty proud about their Luminous Engine features and graphics and they really wanted to showcase it using the PC version.
VII team doesn't seem to care that much about small technical details looking at the end product they just released.

Not saying that it couldn't happen (I hope it does) anyhow.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I know this isn't directly related, but I figured this would be a decent place and I didn't want to venture into the OT for fear of spoilers.

I downloaded the game, and I'm playing on a new 47 inch Samsung that I got. But I was surprised to see artifacting around the text in the PS4 OS menus. You can see it in this image a little (ignore the pixelation effect, look between the i and l in "file", for instance).

Does anyone have an explanation and/or possible fix for this? I admit the HDMI cable seems to be "cheap", but I'm hesitant that that's the issue...

Have you got all image processing nonsense disabled on your TV? And sharpness turned to the minimum setting?

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Streaming issue most likely partly due to settings in configurations.
docs.unrealengine.com

Texture Streaming Configuration in Unreal Engine

System for loading and unloading textures into and out of memory during play in Unreal Engine.

Sounds like it just doesn't refresh/check cache often enough.

I wonder if virtual texturing will help for this in future. (When developers will finally use it.)

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
The remaining episodes will use N64 textures, that's how they plan to deliver the whole game before 2030.
/s

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
A day 1 patch would have been out by now, if they had one. There won't be one, but I hope this a bug. I mean this game is 100 GB or whatever for a reason: Textures.
Still not day one though... Wait until Friday, after that, if we still don't have an update or any acknowledgement from SE, then we should be worried.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think these publishers always tell reviewers "that will be fixed in the day one patch" and more often then not this convinces the reviewer to not mention it.

Yep. Ori just recently did this and it's still not completely fixed a month after release even though they literally asked reviewers to consider the day one patch in their scores.

Never ever trust a dev or publisher when it comes to day one patch to fix things.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Those textures damn, such a big oversight by square. It is either a bug or they just had to ship this game.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of whether the issues get fixed on current gen at least we can be rest assured that they should be nonexistent on the inevitable next gen ports next year. Curious how well they could implement some RT features into this game on PC and next gen consoles.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Those textures damn, such a big oversight by square. It is either a bug or they just had to ship this game.

it looks like an lod bug to me. its not just textures: some objects also seem stuck in their mid/low-level of detail mode (vending machines, flowers). i dont think it has anything to do with performance or underpowered consoles. there are much bigger open world games that have more detailed textures.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I hate how they make it sound like 30fps was a good thing.

Also, "smooth, stable 30fps". 30fps is never smooth.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
it looks like an lod bug to me. its not just textures: some objects also seem stuck in their mid/low-level of detail mode (vending machines, flowers). i dont think it has anything to do with performance or underpowered consoles. there are much bigger open world games that have more detailed textures.
Has to be, hopefully there is a day one patch.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

There are a lot of instances where there is a delay with the texture streaming but when it eventually does appear it's only marginally less awful than the one it was replacing.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Within the last years 30 FPS can be really smooth for some games. It's not this 10 years old 30fps. It's much better now and more than enough for a lot of games

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they have programmed texture streaming with PS5 SSD in mind. :) But congratulation on frame rate stability, good job, SE.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Well at this point I've got all good reasons to wait for the day one patch before I start playing. Hopefully that texture loading issue will be fixed.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

I am by virtue saying this for our audience and not based on my tastes. I also, Do not find 30 fps an acceptable compromise - but it is a console. It is at least hitting 30 fps unlike a massive amount of games that have frame pacing Problems or extended Drops from 30. If I spent the time in the Video offering my unfiltered opinion on 30 fps, I would just spend the entire Video complaining about how it was unenjoyable to play or something. Not productive Information for people wanting to be informed about the game.

But when next gen games announced and are targetting 30? Hah, yeah i may say how I think the devs are utilising next gen Power unwisely.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This definitely feels very "consolely" for a lack of a better word, it's not like Uncharted 4 or Horizon where you're absolutely blown away and don't notice the compromises. There's things it does incredibly well like the motion blur, particle effects during combat, cutscenes and main character models. However aside from the textures the game is littered with typical console cutbacks like low LoD, basic looking assets, spots where the shadow filtering is horrible and a small FoV. Thankfully the frame rate is basically locked 30 so you can't complain there. Obviously it's still a nice looking game overall but I'll be interested to see what the improvements are for PS5 and PC outside of resolution/frame rate.

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I am by virtue saying this for our audience and not based on my tastes. I also, Do not find 30 fps an acceptable compromise - but it is a console. It is at least hitting 30 fps unlike a massive amount of games that have frame pacing Problems or extended Drops from 30. If I spent the time in the Video offering my unfiltered opinion on 30 fps, I would just spend the entire Video complaining about how it was unenjoyable to play or something. Not productive Information for people wanting to be informed about the game.

But when next gen games announced and are targetting 30? Hah, yeah i may say how I think the devs are utilising next gen Power unwisely.
Great response, thanks. And regarding the latter, yes, I hope you do that :D

Keep up the good work und viele Grüße.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I hope John also talks about the PC version of the old FF7 version in the retro episode and how bad it is, especially when it comes to the "seemless" fmv to gameplay transition. First, I could always say there will be an fmv because my odd was spinning up, then it was trying to adjust the laser where it needed to be and it took seconds with the same basically being choppy or outright pausing until the data from disc was ready. Not to mention the unbelievable low resolution of the fmv which was even worse to see then the low resolution pre rendered environment.
I couldn't believe how much better it was on PSX once I saw how that game ran.
I hope he will get Yamaha XG soundcard from somewhere for old pc version.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This definitely feels very "consolely" for a lack of a better word, it's not like Uncharted 4 or Horizon where you're absolutely blown away and don't notice the compromises. There's things it does incredibly well like the motion blur, particle effects during combat, cutscenes and main character models. However aside from the textures the game is littered with typical console cutbacks like low LoD, basic looking assets, spots where the shadow filtering is horrible and a small FoV. Thankfully the frame rate is basically locked 30 so you can't complain there. Obviously it's still a nice looking game overall but I'll be interested to see what the improvements are for PS5 and PC outside of resolution/frame rate.

I don't quite agree. Uncharted 4, as good as it looks, is straight forward to see cutbacks in say terrain geometry, a lot of it is far more boxy than would be the case in reality. It lacks topographical complexity relative to something like DS. Horizon less so, but I think that is also fairly obvious. Those games are for sure more polished. I think this game can match both though at its best, and has the best transitions between gameplay and cutscenes of any game this gen.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't quite agree. Uncharted 4, as good as it looks, is straight forward to see cutbacks in say terrain geometry, a lot of it is far more boxy than would be the case in reality. It lacks topographical complexity relative to something like DS. Horizon less so, but I think that is also fairly obvious. Those games are for sure more polished. I think this game can match both though at its best, and has the best transitions between gameplay and cutscenes of any game this gen.

Cutscene to gameplay is by far the best thing about the game visually, compared it to be opening cinematic in Lost Odyssey after playing the demo and the main game maintains that throughout.

Yeah they've all got the cutbacks but the difference for me is that when I played those games I wasn't constantly thinking or reminded about it like I am with FF7. There's just no escaping how poorly detailed and muddy the environmental textures are too right now, it really is jarring.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The textures are really bad. No idea that got past QA to be quite honest. Especially when some cutscenes actually point the camera at a door someone is going into, it's right in front of you and is really distracting. Hope there is a day 1 patch to remedy this.
There's a 99.99% chance it didn't get past QA and just wasn't addressed in time for release. Or was intended for a day 1 patch and the early release in some places just blindsided them a bit.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The terrible texture have been mentioned a lot in the OT by people who got it early, it's really bad. No idea how it's possible some people haven't noticed it. No surprise that media critics hardly mentioned it either.

To be honest, I noticed it, but it wasnt severe enough to really annoy me. As in; I've seen much worse. That said, I play on a 43" TV; I can imagine that this looks a lot worse on bigger screens. But if they can patch/fix this then it would pretty much remove the biggest 'issue' with the game as far as I'm concerned.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Cutscene to gameplay is by far the best thing about the game visually, compared it to be opening cinematic in Lost Odyssey after playing the demo and the main game maintains that throughout.

Yeah they've all got the cutbacks but the difference for me is that when I played those games I wasn't constantly thinking or reminded about it like I am with FF7. There's just no escaping how poorly detailed and muddy the environmental textures are too right now, it really is jarring.

Yeah, this game seems to be weird in that sense. Like Uncharted games have always been masterful at using tricks to hide cutbacks...this game displays flaws front and centre when they could easily be better hidden. And it doesn't seem to be related to the capability of the core team or the engine necessarily, as some areas look pretty consistently excellent. It is even more weird than in Jedi Fallen Order, where it just seemed less effort went into the look of most areas relative to the intro, which I also recognised to a much lesser degree in the other big game that the director of Fallen Order directed: GoW 3.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
There's a 99.99% chance it didn't get past QA and just wasn't addressed in time for release. Or was intended for a day 1 patch and the early release in some places just blindsided them a bit.
Then why weren't reviewers told about this issue and that it would be fixed.

Regardless of early release, reviews would still be going on, it would be in SEs interest to note this and their plan to fix it. Still surprised at how few reviewers mentioned this issue.

I'm very interested to see what happens and of there is a patch to fix this. Certain chapters really suffer because of this issue.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

yeah, these aren't game-breaking bugs or anything; to be honest I'm pretty impressed that the game is in its current state without a patch. I know thats a bit weird to say, but there are tons of games that had serious issues without an update.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, this game seems to be weird in that sense. Like Uncharted games have always been masterful at using tricks to hide cutbacks...this game displays flaws front and centre when they could easily be better hidden. And it doesn't seem to be related to the capability of the core team or the engine necessarily, as some areas look pretty consistently excellent. It is even more weird than in Jedi Fallen Order, where it just seemed less effort went into the look of most areas relative to the intro, which I also recognised to a much lesser degree in the other big game that the director of Fallen Order directed: GoW 3.

The inconsistency really is the strangest thing for such a high end title. I just got to chapter 16 and it's back to looking fantastic. It literally is a night and day difference, broad daylight really brings out the worst in the visuals and the lack of contrast makes the lighting look flat.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone is also Unreal right? That game also has its issues but I don't remember the FF7R's textures/LODing being one of them

Days Gone flat out refused to load textures and assets after some point for me and I had to reload the game each time. I mean, I fell to my death in a road with no textures at some point.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Good, this is what I want to hear. There should be way more pushback for games developed with 30fps as a target in mind. It would be alright if every game offered the option to allow 60fps and take a hit in resolution or some graphical feature but to make the only option available at 30fps to me is just backwards thinking.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Days Gone flat out refused to load textures and assets after some point for me and I had to reload the game each time. I mean, I fell to my death in a road with no textures at some point.

Oof. So from the look of it, this might be an Unreal-"issue" for these machines.

That said, next-gen should easily be able to hit a native 4K with all HD-textures accounted for I would say.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the issues with textures popping out everywhere like that were fixed post PS3/360/UE3 era.

Looks like I was very wrong lol.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder like DF if there is some texture loading bug they're aware about and they will fix it or if basically that's the best they could do with UE4 (which btw as an engine suffers of this kind of issue although usually it's not that bad).
Otherwise there's always the PS5 SSD to take care of this lol.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Days Gone had terrible texture loading and stuttering problems, it desperately needed stronger hardware.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Square is aware and can do anything about it. Seems like a purchase I'll make when I have the PS5.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'd sacrifice higher resolution (since I don't have a 4K TV) on Pro for better texture streaming if it came to that.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Hmmm, I might wait on the PC version then. I'll see how soon they patch it and if it makes a huge difference. I'm sure DF will revisit this one. I figured the resolution was lower because the demo looked hella blurry.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds to me like current gen consoles held some of this back, I expect next gen consoles to iron alot of this out