• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Unreal Engine 4 powers this long-awaited remake - and its latest 2019 showing marks a huge milestone for a project that stretches back to the E3 2005 tech demo. The new material design, lighting, and post-effects all have a huge bearing on one of Square Enix's most ambitious projects. Tom takes point on how far we've come since the PlayStation classic - and what we can expect of the final game.

Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here: http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a joke?

Oh, I see they say it's a ridiculous comparision. Nice.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
They are mostly checking what changed / how faithful it is to the original and the E3 2005 thingy.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting enough, they mention all footage from SE is native 1080p at the moment. But the videos are encoded at 30 FPS so not sure if they're going for a 1080p/60 FPS thing ala KH3 or if it's base PS4 (or if the game is graphically intensive enough that even a Pro can manage 1080p/30 FPS only).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wait are they claiming that the cutscene at the beginning of the trailer of the Midgar zoom out was in-engine?? 🤔

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
a) I'm glad they're also putting the ps3 realtime demo on for comparison with the remake and the prerendered and realtime PS1 game. it's kind of a fun midpoint .

b) They also note the high quality trailer is framemanipulated badly to 24fps. The frameskipping/framedoubling drove me crazy in the high quality download from Gamersyde.

c) I just noticed for the first time that the opening pullback from aerith in the PS1 FMV is a combination of several different environments with 2D compositing. Notice how the theatre district moves oddly against the archway and just fades out?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm amused he didn't notice the Aerith opening was full-on CGI.

Early code and all, but 1080p on a PS4 Pro and struggling to reach 30fps (according to gameplay impressions) doesn't bode well for slim users. Will be dynamic 900p~ or something I guess.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Early code and all, but 1080p on a PS4 Pro and struggling to reach 30fps (according to gameplay impressions) doesn't bode well for slim users. Will be dynamic 900p~ or something I guess.
Yea.i LL wait for ps5 few month after release to play it .

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

FFXV should have been 900p too like it was in Duscae, the obsession over 1080p is why FFXV's lighting is flatter, bye bye cloud shadows. i will forever be mad about this.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh square enix has already confirmed a ps5 version (which I m assuming utlizes the power of that machine )

In for ps5 version for sure .

2020 is a weird stacked year where I don't know what to play and what I hold out for ps5 at the end of year

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, why wouldn't it be? Would be a pain making that in an entirely different program, I believe all the cutscenes are being shot in engine.

Is it running real-time though? Probably not.
It's not in-game or in-engine. It's CGI. The quality of Aerith's hair bares no resemblance to her in-game model.

ojpmfp0.png

0Jt6Wgb.png

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I mean...Square Enix literally has a studio for that exact purpose that still does quite a bit of work for their modern titles, like nearly an hour's worth of the cutscenes in KH3 are CGI:

Ohh yikes, didn't think devs still did that nowadays.

Well they did better in this title matching the feel of it in game-play at least.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ohh yikes, didn't think devs still did that nowadays.

Well they did better in this title matching the feel of it in game-play at least.
I mean most devs don't. And some of Square's teams have decided against it. Tabata wanted FFXV to have as little CGI as possible since real time rendering is way less limiting than it used to be. An hour's worth of CGI in KH3 is still a small amount considering the other 10 hrs of cutscenes are rendered in real time.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I mean, considering the scale of the first scene in the game and the fact that in the original it was pre-rendered, seems fitting for that to be pre-rendered here too. Like at most 10% of the cinematics will be pre-rendered CGI.

Yeah, they want to wow people as much as possible just like back in 1997. Makes sense that they would use it... especially for the intro.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018

It's odd, he describes it as if it's realtime at the start, then at the end acknowledges twice that it's possibly not, specifically stating the post effect motion blur is superior to the in-game cutscenes.

not sure if they're going for a 1080p/60 FPS thing ala KH3 or if it's base PS4 (or if the game is graphically intensive enough that even a Pro can manage 1080p/30 FPS only

Apparently the show floor demo was unlocked, and varied between close to 60 and mid 20s depending on the scene.

The behind close doors demo was locked to 30 and noticeably smoother as a result, suggesting the floor build was perhaps an earlier one.

Last edited:

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
a) I'm glad they're also putting the ps3 realtime demo on for comparison with the remake and the prerendered and realtime PS1 game. it's kind of a fun midpoint .

b) They also note the high quality trailer is framemanipulated badly to 24fps. The frameskipping/framedoubling drove me crazy in the high quality download from Gamersyde.

c) I just noticed for the first time that the opening pullback from aerith in the PS1 FMV is a combination of several different environments with 2D compositing. Notice how the theatre district moves oddly against the archway and just fades out?

Is there any good version of the trailer available?

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
If you think this will be PlayStation exclusive, and not timed, then good luck to you, lol.

Find me any time, any place it's been said exclusive. In fact, it's been mentioned each time that it's "first" on PlayStation.

Regardless, even if it comes to PC, I have a 2080ti, I'm golden. And if for some insane and not going to happen because they would go back on their word reason it goes exclusive, I still have a ps4. I just don't care for it. So I'm still set.

Calm down, dears :)

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Assuming this game does eventually come to other consoles/PC, I really hope that DF gives it the same breakdown treatment as they did FF15. Those breakdowns were completely awesome.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
If you think this will be PlayStation exclusive, and not timed, then good luck to you, lol.

Find me any time, any place it's been said exclusive. In fact, it's been mentioned each time that it's "first" on PlayStation.

Regardless, even if it comes to PC, I have a 2080ti, I'm golden. And if for some insane and not going to happen because they would go back on their word reason it goes exclusive, I still have a ps4. I just don't care for it. So I'm still set.

Calm down, dears :)

Well good for you i guess? Thanks for your contribution.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait are they claiming that the cutscene at the beginning of the trailer of the Midgar zoom out was in-engine?? 🤔

I can see why you think this. But towards the end of the video (or middle? I forget) they kinda imply that it's not necessarily real-time. Though they do heavily imply that the scene is "in-engine", maybe similar to how some of FFXV's cutscenes were "in-engine" but not rendered "real-time". Though not sure how they would know that.

The Midgar pan-out did not seem real-time or even in-engine to me - it appeared to be Visual Works CGI. It just seemed too good.

Though I will say that I like Aerith's in-game model much more than her CGI model.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I can see why you think this. But towards the end of the video (or middle? I forget) they kinda imply that it's not necessarily real-time. Though they do heavily imply that the scene is "in-engine", maybe similar to how some of FFXV's cutscenes were "in-engine" but not rendered "real-time". Though not sure how they would know that.

The Midgar pan-out did not seem real-time or even in-engine to me - it appeared to be Visual Works CGI. It just seemed too good.

Though I will say that I like Aerith's in-game model much more than her CGI model.

I would love that they did CGI for the parts that where CGI in the original. Keeps it authentic.