• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Is this available on ea play? Thanks
No. Just a 10h trial. I gave it a go on ps5( had subbed for a month to play fallen order) looked good, crisp, but didn't feel a generation jump. I guess there's a lot of room for improvement, specially in real gameplay, that usually means a far lateral camera. Replays may look great with that hair, but I'd love to see the improvements when playing

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I guess this thread is a good enough place for me to ask: I'm not very familiar with sports games, but am interested in either the new NBA or FIFA. Whats the consensus on these franchises? I get obviously different sports so different tastes, but, any input is appreciated.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Thg0WOb.gif

bLL7IVi.gif

maybe he's born with it, maybe it's next gen technology

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Im not football guy... but that is fucking impressive to say the least.

Single player games with higher level of details with that engine will just blow people's mind.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
These are all some very nice looking games, but it's one of those things where the visual impact of what you're seeing is only felt in the replays and photo features.

I've never played one of these games before, but it seems like the goal here is to recreate a television broadcast on screen, and they've reached the limits to that approach?

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Wow we are doing CG hair now.
Cavani's hair looks insane.
You've always gotten CG hair :)

You mean it is beginning to look prerendered. Indeed it is, because it is now all moving more freely thanks to fibermesh and being strand-based. Sure, transmapped still looks more realistic (and generally was is used in prerendered stuff), but it is more taxing on GPU memory, and thus, not as useful in real-time.

Exhibit A.

KATHY-2-O-2-O.png

Transmapped.

e-r-i-k-2.png

Strand.

Top looks more real. Bottom would animate better and more efficiently.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the video, yeah it is some nice "hair tech", but I don't know, video is supposed to be about FIFA 21 next gen version and it's only focus is basically the (impressie) hair tech of the new Frostbite version? They should at least show how bad most players look and not show 2-3 impressive players which EA focused all their intention on. It could be a "sponsored by EA" video, for showcasing the hair tech. Again I will never suggest DF getting paid and failing to mention it, not at all, they are doing a great job and I get the focus on the hair tech, because there is nothing much to talk about aside from that. But no words about lighting for the stadium, controls, other changes or non changes, etc. Maybe I wouldn't complain if the video title would be "Look at EA Sport new hair tech" or something like that. If you don't play with Cavani, Messi, Neymar, etc. but rather a less popular team that plays in EL or CL most characters still look bad and don't feature any new hair tech at all. If you watch this video, you could think, that EA put that much effort into most or every player on the pitch, which is far from the truth.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well while the hair looks an improvement over the past it's still not realistic. Actually it's even more floating than a girl's long light hair floating under water. They should have limited it to more weights and some directions to control it and with that it not only will look more realistic, but it will have less impact on the GPU and even allow them to get even more hair density like that.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The hair is a bit too flowy I think lol. But good start for next gen hair
Often the case with new tech, effects are too much. The main problem is the hairs get wet pretty quickly (they often started the game with wet hair) and here, the air are dry.

Otherwise, it's really not a big jump like we saw the last gen upgrade (and the one we saw with NBA 2k). But an annual franchise with COVID, not simple.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
😮😮😮 That looks just... Wow.
Is the game worth it? Does it has Smart Delivery? I might just buy it.
It's as worth as any FIFA in the past few years (as it's pretty much the same game from the past 5 years), so the value is what you give it.

No Smart Delivery per se, but the last-gen versions upgrade for free to next gen versions with EA's own program. You have a 10 hour trial with EA Play, if you have that.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Although the hair is impressive, they really really need to up the fidelity of the other assets such as the stadium, crowds, linesmen, etc. They really break the immersion of the high fidelity models during the game. Also replay FPS at 30 is a fucking joke. And give a 120FPS mode for crying out loud.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely insane.

Yeah it flows too much so it's not completely perfect and realistic but still a massive, massive jump over the mostly static meshes we still see today. Already looks nuts, with continuing improvement it's going to pass that uncanny valley stage.

Hope we see this in other Frostbite games moving forward too.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the XSX version and refunded after 30 minutes the gameplay is still trash and no amount of hair physics will make up for it. EA really need to focus on animation, player models and general feel.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't know why but this really pisses me off. It is so deceiving to showcase these graphics when in reality when you play it doesn't actually look like that. Like Alex said, it is the interludes and it's 30fps. Once the camera is pulled back the game really does not look great visually. Sharp lines, everything is so square, and the crowds still look static and not very realistic.